• Published 6th Dec 2014
  • 1,973 Views, 94 Comments

Stargate - Rise of the Sun God - Arvaus



Trapped on an long-dead world, the ponies of SG-1 find themselves fighting for their lives against an ancient evil. They must team up with some unlikely allies if they are to survive and save the galaxy from destruction.

  • ...
4
 94
 1,973

16 - Release

"Are you sure about this, Major?" Jack said. "After what we've seen so far…"

"I know," Sam said, nodding. "I thought about that too. Maybe she's lying and trying to trick us into releasing the Ra'shek."

She had spent ten minutes hurriedly trying to explain everything to the others, but she could tell that none of were entirely convinced, and she could understand why.

"I'm sorry," she said, "I'm not sure I'd believe it either. But… well, it's hard to explain. She was speaking directly to my mind. I could feel some of what she was feeling, and I know that she was being honest. And everything I saw… it was so clear that it's like I was there." She shook her head. "She wasn't lying to me."

"But if she can affect your dreams," Ro'shur said, "then what else can she do? It could all have been a fabrication."

"And," Teal'c added, "with everything you say this Celestia was capable of, is it wise to release her at all? Are we certain that we will be able to contain her?"

"…No," Sam admitted after a moment. "But I'm not trying to release Celestia. Not yet at least. If we can't do anything for Celestia, then…" – she looked at Jack – "…well, we've already got a contingency in place."

"Right," Jack said. "We just wait for the sun to explode."

"But," Sam said, "what if we can do something? If it turns out that's the case, then we can't just leave her to die. I think we need to release Luna, and then find out what she knows. If we can save Celestia, then we have to try. If not, then at least we can save one of them. I wish I could show you all what I saw so you'd understand it like I do. All I can really do is ask you to trust me."

The others looked round at each other uncertainly.

"She is right, Colonel," Koresh said. "We have the ability to contain this if it does go wrong."

"And we should not mistrust Celestia just because of the power she wields," Ro'shur added.

Jack looked round at them. "It's more what she used the power for that has me nervous," he said. "But okay, that's three votes for, I guess. I must say, I didn't expect you two to go for this."

Ro'shur shrugged. "We have found allies in strange places today. Perhaps it would be unwise to miss the opportunity to make another."

"I'm going to have to say yes as well," Daniel said, stepping forward. "Just think of how much we could learn from them."

"Indeed," Teal'c added.

"Colonel," Sam said, walking up to him. "I know you're not going to want to do this. I know what's at stake too. But the fact is that we're the ones who are killing them. If we don't do anything, then their deaths will be on our heads."

O'Neill rubbed his forehead. "Yeah," he said. "I thought of that." He stood in silence, considering it.

"Sir, please," Sam said.

Jack sighed. "Okay," he said. "You're right. Let's do it. But you still haven't explained how we do this."

"Right," Sam said. The instructions Luna had given – or rather hadn't given – still had her puzzled. "She said she'd make sure I knew, but then she just woke me up. I thought she was going to explain the spell that…"

She froze, her eyes wide. "Oh."

"What is it, Sam?" Daniel asked.

"Uh," she said, rubbing her temple, "I just thought about the spell that's binding her, and… I knew how it worked."

Jack raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

"I mean," Sam said, rubbing her forehead, "that it was like I've always known. I just… remembered." She looked up suddenly. "Luna must have given me the memory."

"Okay," Jack said, stepping back. "Now that's a little weird. But can you do it?"

Sam thought about it again, and the answers just seemed to come to her. "Yeah," she said, nodding. "I can."

Then she turned to the Jaffa. "Ro'shur, I need my equipment, and access to the engine room."

The two Jaffa looked at each other, confused.

"Why?" Ro'shur asked.

Sam smiled. "I have an idea."


Half an hour later, Sam was sat hunched over the ring platform, a control crystal in her hooves. She held the crystal up to her horn, concentrating on it and feeding a spell into it.

"How long, Major?" Jack asked, walking up next to her. "Remember, we're on a clock here. Just over an hour until supernova."

"I know," Sam said. "I'm nearly done." She opened her eyes, and slipped the control crystal in to an open slot on the ring platform, sliding its covering back into place.

"Remind me," Jack said, "what are you doing?"

Sam stood up, turning to face him. "I know how to release the princess," she said, "but I'm not confident that I can properly target the… uh, reintegration. So I'm using the homing systems in the rings to act as a receiver."

"Ah," Jack said, nodding.

"I just needed to add an additional control crystal with the necessary spells on it," Sam went on, "but other than that all the components are already in place. I think I'm ready now."

"Okay then," Jack said. He looked down at the ring platform for a moment, then turned and shouted, "Okay, ponies! Let's get ready!"

The others jumped up, and they all gathered round the ring platform. Ro'shur and Koresh appeared from the bridge, staff weapons at their sides.

"Uh," Jack said, eyeing the weapons.

"Only a precaution," Ro'shur said.

"Fair enough," Jack said, shrugging. "Just don't get jumpy." He looked over at the rest of his team. "Everypony else ready?"

"As we'll ever be," Daniel said.

"Indeed," Teal'c added.

"Okay," Sam said. She walked up to the ring platform, planting her hooves carefully on the floor for balance and warming up her magic. "Ro'shur, hit the rings."

The Jaffa hit the control panel by the door, and the coverings in the floor slid back revealing the five rings, which rose up and settled into place in the air. Sam reached out and felt the spells she had programmed into the rings activating, and then she focussed her mind on the spell Luna had given her.

As the magic began to flow, she felt the entire solar system opening out in front of her. She focussed carefully on Luna, quickly finding the now familiar-feeling spirit waiting behind its restraints. She tore them down one by one, and as soon as they were gone she felt Luna's spirit rush down, surging through her. Her eyes flew open, burning white, and she had to concentrate to not let the feeling overwhelm her as she pushed the magic onward into the rings. She held on as long as it could, guiding it through, willing it safely to its destination. Then finally the last of the magic disappeared, and Carter let it go, collapsing to her knees.

The world came back into focus again just as the white light inside the rings subsided and they lowered back into the ground, the surprised-looking princess standing in their midst.

"Luna," she said, standing up.

"Major Carter!" Luna shouted, running forward and hugging her again. "You did it! I don't know how much longer I could have waited! Eight thousand years I have been trapped there! Eight thousand years!"

"Don't worry, you're safe," Sam said, aware of the time ticking away and wanting to make sure the conversation moved on quickly. "Now, we need to discuss your sister."

"Yes," Luna said, stepping back. "The sooner we… Jaffa!"

She stumbled backwards, falling to the floor and pointing over Sam's shoulder at Koresh and Ro'shur.

"Whoa, easy now!" Jack said, running up to Luna and grabbing hold of her. "They're friends! You can trust them!"

Luna froze, her chest heaving, eyes darting back and forth between the Jaffa and the colonel.

"You are friends with Jaffa?" she said.

"Well, not most of them," Jack admitted, "but these ones are cool."

"I… see," she said, standing up straight again and looking around at the assembled ponies.

"Allow me to introduce everypony," Jack said. "My name's Colonel Jack O'Neill. You've already met Major Carter. Over there," – he pointed to the two Jaffa by the door – "are Ro'shur and Koresh. And in that corner are Teal'c and Doctor Daniel Jackson."

"A pleasure," Luna said uneasily.

Daniel walked up to her and offered her a hoof. "I'm so glad to meet you," he said. "I've got so many questions I'd love to ask you about Equestria before the Goa'uld, about our species, and—"

"Daniel?" Jack said, eyeing him.

"But... we need you to tell us how to save your sister first," he finished.

Luna nodded. "Yes, of course," she said. "This is just all so overwhelming. I have so many questions of my own, Doctor Jackson, but my sister must take priority."

She stood up again, and began pacing back and forth across the centre of the room, taking deep breaths. Ro'shur and Koresh looked at each other, then put their weapons down and went to join the others.

"So far so good," Jack said as they approached.

"Indeed," Koresh said. "She does not seem evil."

Jack nodded. "By the way," he said, "did anypony else notice—" he pointed at his forehead, "—and—" he pointed at his wings.

"Yeah," Sam said. "If we get through this, I'm going to have some questions of my own."

"Okay," Luna said, stopping pacing suddenly and shifting around restlessly. "Okay, here's what we need to do. Has Major Carter told you all of the Elements of Harmony yet?"

Sam shook her head, but the three Jaffa looked round at each other at their mention.

"They are legend among the Jaffa," Ro'shur said.

"Indeed," Teal'c said. "They are said to be the objects from which the universe was born, aeons ago."

Luna raised her eyebrows. "That… may be something of an exaggeration," she said, "but—"

"Wait," Daniel said. "You mean they're real?"

Sam nodded. "They are," she replied. "I've seen them. They're what trapped Luna and Celestia."

"Yes," Luna said. "And they are the key to my sister's redemption." She started pacing again, jittering excitedly. "If we can retrieve them, then we will be able to use their magic to purge the… the sickness from Celestia's mind, and she will be able to return to us. I know where they are, and you have a ship, so—"

"Uh, Princess?" Sam said. Luna stopped in her tracks and looked over at the major, her expression dropping in fear at the way Sam was looking at her.

"What?" She said. "What is it?"

Sam hesitated, scratching her leg awkwardly.

"What's wrong, Sam?" Daniel asked.

Sam turned to him. "You remember the pedestal on the bridge of the ship?" she said. "The one with the crystals on it?"

"Yeah?" Daniel said, giving her a confused look, then his eyes went wide. "Oh…"

"Oh boy," Jack said, rubbing his forehead.

Luna looked back and forth between them, worried. "What is it?" She asked again.

"Luna," Sam said, "there's no easy way to say this…"

She paused again, trying to think of the right words, but then Ro'shur stepped up beside her.

"Princess," he said, "the ship containing the Elements of Harmony broke apart in orbit not five hours ago. I saw it destroyed with my own eyes. The Elements are gone."

Luna stepped back, her eye starting to twitch. "They're… gone?" She said. "How? How did this happen?"

Jack looked over at Sam. "You didn't tell her about that either, did you?"

Sam winced. "I was hoping we wouldn't have to."

"Tell me about what?" the princess shouted, marching up to them and standing to her full height, towering over them. "What happened?"

Jack stepped forward. "Luna," he said, looking up at her, "remember that all we knew about Celestia was that she had tried to kill us multiple times, and was planning to destroy all life in the galaxy."

Luna's eyes went wide with fear. "What did you do?" she shouted.

This time Teal'c stepped forward. "There is an active Stargate falling toward the sun," he said. "In just over an hour it will arrive, at which time the sun will explode in a supernova. This entire system will be destroyed."

"What?" Luna stuttered, backing away from them. "You… you did what?"

"Luna, please—" Sam said, running up to her, but Luna pushed her away.

"No, no, no…" she said stumbling back and forth across the cargo bay, her eyes searching around everywhere. "This can't be how it ends, there's still time to… there must be something… something I can do. Sister!" she shouted at the ceiling. "What do I do?"

Daniel tried to grab hold of her. "Princess, wait," he said.

"No!" she shouted, backing away from him. "This isn't over! I'll think of something! I have to! I can't… I can't fail. Not after all this time."

She froze, her eyes staring blankly at nothing and welling up with tears. Then, she turned and ran, disappearing through the open door into the engine room, leaving the others standing in stunned silence.

"Oy," Jack said, rubbing his forehead, "I was afraid that might happen. Still, we've managed to save one at least."

"But it wasn't really her she wanted saved," Daniel said. "We shouldn't leave her like this. I'm going to go talk to her."


Daniel stepped into the engine room, closing the door quietly behind him and peering between the inactive stacks of control consoles trying to find Luna. He could hear the sound of her crying somewhere near the back.

"Princess?" he called.

"Don't call me that," Luna said. "I am a diarch without partner or state. That title's meaningless now."

Daniel walked forward, following her voice, until he found her sitting against the wall in the back corner. She turned away when she saw him, so he backed off again.

"Luna," he said, "I just want to talk to you. Is that okay?"

"What's the point?" Luna sobbed. "It's not like anything you say can save her. My sister's going to die. I failed her."

"No you didn't," Daniel said. "You didn't fail anypony. You did everything you could to try and save her, and you never gave up on the idea that it would be possible."

There was a pause, then Luna looked round at him, her eyes red. "I lied to you," she said.

"What do you mean?" Daniel asked. He took a few cautious steps toward her and she turned away again.

"I lied when I said I knew what we needed to do," she said. "I don't know how to use the Elements of Harmony to save her! If I did, I would have done it eight thousand years ago! I never thought any of this through; I didn't have the chance! I thought when I sensed you arrive here that maybe this was a sign that it would be possible, but… there was no sign. The universe isn't that kind. If it were, the Goa'uld wouldn't even exist."

She hung her head, wiping tears from her eyes. "I've finally returned to the world, but all I can do now is wait for us to die a meaningless death."

"No," Daniel said, walking up to her and sitting down. "You won't die here. Rescue is coming, and we will leave this system soon. Your life doesn't have to end today."

Luna turned and glared at him. "I have failed my sister," she said. "I have failed Equestria, and I have failed this galaxy by doing nothing to protect it for eight thousand years. If you are going to leave, then leave me here. I would rather die with my sister than live on without her."

"You don't believe that," Daniel said.

"Don't tell me what I believe!" she snapped. "You have no idea what I'm going through! You don't understand!"

Daniel sighed. "No," he said. "No, I don't. I don't think anypony's experienced quite what you've gone through. But that doesn't mean I don't want to help you. Just… hear me out, okay?"

Luna stared at him. Daniel looked back, keeping his expression steady. He was still resisting the urge to start asking questions about her past – everything about her and her sister fascinated him – but right now what mattered was that she was scared, and he needed to help her if he could.

"Okay," she said after a moment, bowing her head. "I don't know what difference it will make, but say what you have to say."

"Thanks," Daniel said, taking a deep breath. "I don't often talk about this, but… four years ago my wife was taken from me by the Goa'uld."

She looked up. "What?" she said.

"Apophis and his guards came to her planet," Daniel went on, "and they took her. Then they left through the Stargate. I found out where they had gone, and we followed, but by the time I saw her again she had already been taken as a host. Sha're, my wife, was gone, taken prisoner by Amonet, Apophis's mate."

"I'm… I'm sorry," Luna said. "What did you do?"

Daniel shrugged. "I searched for her," he said. "My team and I travelled to hundreds of planets across the galaxy, and all the time I never stopped looking for her, or trying to find a way to remove the Goa'uld and save her. I had no reason to think that I'd ever be able to do it, but like you I never let myself give up hope. Every time we walked through the Gate, I thought to myself that maybe this would be the planet where I found her. Maybe this would be the day when we'd finally be reunited.

"But then, when I did eventually find her again… she tried to kill me. Or rather, the Goa'uld did. And she would have succeeded, if Teal'c hadn't killed her first. To find her, only to lose her forever at the hooves of a friend… it nearly destroyed me. I was ready to quit the Stargate Program altogether, to stop exploring, to leave my friends, and to never have anything to do with any of it again."

Luna sniffed, wiping away a tear. "Why didn't you?"

"Because she sent me a message," he said. "Sha're managed to speak to me before she died, and she told me not to give up. She told me I had to stay with my friends, and I had to not throw my life away when there were still important things left to be done. It took me a long time to listen, but eventually I did, and I wouldn't be here talking to you today if I hadn't."

Luna turned her head away again. "You are not subtle, Doctor Jackson," she said. "But this changes nothing. My sister is still going to die."

"I know," Daniel said. "I wish there was something I could do to change that. From what you've told Sam about her, I would have loved to meet her."

Luna smiled, briefly. "Yes," she said. "You would have. She was an amazing pony."

Daniel took another step toward her. "Tell me about her," he said.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean," Daniel replied, "tell me what she was like, before all this happened. Who was she?"

Luna sighed. "She was incredible," she said. "She was the kindest, most caring pony in all Equestria. She never gave up on anypony, and she always gave them a second chance. If there was anything she could do, she would always make sure everypony was protected.

"That was what destroyed her. She tried to save an entire galaxy, but no matter what she tried, she just couldn't. Ra was just too far ahead of her. The effort exhausted her, and eventually it overwhelmed her. Right up until the end, all she wanted to do was help."

Daniel placed a hoof on Luna's shoulder. "She cared about you, too, didn't she?" he said. Luna nodded, her eyes shut, holding back tears.

"Yes," she said. "We would tease each other sometimes, but we were sisters. She would have done anything to protect me from danger. I only wish I had been able to do the same."

"She wanted you to be safe?" Daniel asked, and Luna nodded. "Do you think she'd want you to die today, if you had another choice?"

Luna paused, then shook her head.

Daniel gave her a pat on the shoulder. "Your sister may not be here to tell you this herself," he said, "but you have friends who are."

Luna opened her eyes and looked round at him. "Friends?" she said.

Daniel nodded. "I hope so."

Luna smiled. "It is so long since another pony has called me that. It feels… good."

Daniel smiled back. "The fight didn't stop eight thousand years ago," he said. "We're still resisting the Goa'uld, and we've actually managed to make some progress. If you want to, you'd be welcome to join us. You could help make sure your sister's dream eventually comes true."

Luna looked at him in surprise. "You mean… it could actually happen?" she said. "The galaxy could be free again?"

"I believe so," Daniel said. "There are entire planets of free ponies out there, and we've made some powerful allies over the years. The tide's beginning to turn, and I think we will one day stop them."

Luna listened in amazement, a smile spreading across her face. Then she wiped her eyes dry and said, "Thank you. I needed to hear that. Perhaps… perhaps there is something left here for me after all."

"There is," Daniel said, nodding. He stood up, helping Luna to her hooves. "Come on, he said. I can properly introduce you to the others."

They walked back out of the engine room together, but when they got there they found the cargo bay almost deserted. The door through to the bridge was closed, and Sam was kneeling down by the rings, various instruments stuck into an open panel.

"Hey Sam," Daniel said, "what's—"

Sam looked up at him and put a hoof to her lips.

"What's going on?" he whispered.

Sam looked over at the closed door, then back to Daniel. "Zipacna's here," she said.


High above the planet's surface, six shards of crystal were beginning to graze the edge of the upper atmosphere, wisps of plasma washing off them as they tumbled through the thin air. Blown clear in the first moments of the ship's destruction, they slowly fell lower and lower toward the planet. As they pushed into the atmosphere they started to burn red-hot, their varied natural colours washed out by the glow.

Then, as they began to crack and fragment in the heat, a burst of energy pulsed out from them, spreading silently out into the solar system. And with that, the Elements of Harmony were gone.