• Published 10th May 2013
  • 6,491 Views, 274 Comments

I Dreamt of Her - ben717



"Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real?" - The Matrix

  • ...
21
 274
 6,491

Chapter 15: "The Less He Knows, The Better"

"Has anypony ever told you, that you're very tall?" I say looking up to Celestia.

What is she like? 6 foot 7 maybe? Taller than me, that's about all that matters really.

"Nopony has said it, but I don't doubt they think it. And welcome, to the great city of Canterlot!" She says .

She spreads her wings in the sunlight and everypony basks in their glow.

I look around and notice I'm the only one standing other than the Princesses themselves.

"Uhh.. Should I like? Should I be bowing or something?" I ask.

"Not necessary... Twilight here has told me a lot about you." She says.

"Like what? How I scared the crap out of the media, last time I was here?" I ask.

She laughs, "That too, she says you are a wonderful student."

"Well thank you, Twilight."

"It was nothing! Just don't go around picking more fights with guards! You might not get so lucky next time." She says.

Celestia speaks, "Would you like to see where you are staying?"

I take a bow anyway, "Of course, your majesty."

"Right this way." She commands.

--------

As we walk through the city streets, the ponies clear the way in honor of Royalty.

All around us, ponies bow down to their benevolent rulers, though, I can't help but feel like their eyes are burning holes in me.

I don't really want to look back to check, but I can feel their uneasy gazes tearing into my back.

Unsure of what to make of me.

Turns out, when "Iron Man" first made his appearance, many ponies didn't believe it. Believed it to be a hoax, a myth, an old ponies tale. And here I was, putting the rumors to rest.

I exist.

The city was amazing. It was so much larger inside its walls than what it looked outside.

Funny how things work like that.

The buildings weren't like Ponyville, most of them were connected, and intertwined on strange, unevenly cut streets.

The only strange part, that it worked. The streets weren't really following any sort of pattern, back on Earth, the streets of cities were on a North to South grid shape.

With the few exceptions, one town I know of started as a French settlement. So the grid pattern was crooked. And diagonal to the general XY shape of streets.

This though, this was something else.

I would hate to have to drive through these streets. But maybe that's why... Ponies don't have to drive.

The buildings were tall, most of them were topped off with golden dome like structures.

Another thing I noticed.

What is up with those noses in the air?!

Is there something up there that smells good? How can you see where you're going?!

I smelled food cooking, it seemed we were passing through the commercial district of the city.

I smelled hay fries, potatoes being bakes, pies being made... And what's that?

I stop a second to get a better smell.

It can't be... No.. No that doesn't make sense.

Is that... Meat?

I look to my right, I see a little restaurant. Run by, Gryphons? Interesting...

The more and more I smelled the delicacy, the more I remembered what a steak tasted like.

Man... When did I get so... Hungry?

"Ugh... Princess, why did we have to walk past this part of town?" Asks Twilight, eyeing the Gryphons' eating establishment.

Oh yeah... There's one thing I didn't mention... They don't know about it...

"To give your student a tour of the town. Wouldn't want him to get lost." Says Celestia.

Twilight continues forward. Celestia gives me a knowing look, then nods to the shop.

Oh my God she knows doesn't she? She planned this out on purpose... How did she do it?

The only meat I've ever eaten since I've gotten here is the fish I go and catch, I haven't told the ponies that I'm an omnivore. And I LOVE my meat...

The only pony that knows is Colgate, oddly enough. She kept that quiet though, for my sake.

Rarity took me in to get a checkup one day, she basically leapt up to get into my mouth.

Unfortunately, that mare knows her teeth. One look at my teeth, she knew my canines weren't for grinding down bits of green stuff.

I figured if one pony could piece it together it would be Twilight, but she didn't seem to take note of my teeth. She's smart, but not exactly overly attentive to detail.

But that brings up another question... What kind of meat would it be? Couldn't be cows. I've had very lively conversations with cows.

Hmm...

The farther down the street we went, the more the castle came into view. And it was big. I mean HUGE.

This thing absolutely towered over all the other buildings. The only reason I couldn't see it fully, is because it was halfway around a mountainside!

The whole thing was built not only on, but INTO the mountain.

"That's quite an impressive structure." I say.

"Quite" says Celestia, "It was built centuries ago after Luna... was banished."

She continues, "After she was gone I abandoned the Castle of the Royal Sisters and left the Elements there with it. I couldn't bring myself to wield them again. That's where Twilight found them. Deep in the Everfree."

"I see" I say with wonder.

When we reach the gates, the giant columns open up with the sound of large cranks being turned.

The yard is almost as big as two football fields, it was filled with foals playing and having fun in the afternoon hours.

I look up at the towering mass of a castle.

I ask myself, "Are you sure you aren't still dreaming?"

We reach the end of the walkway and a flight of stairs leading up to the front doors of the castle.

And oh goodness those are several stairs.

About halfway up them I'm pretty sure my ears popped from altitude change.

When we reach the doors, the two guards standing there swing them open magnificently.

Inside we are greeted with a large hall. The ceiling was higher than I would have ever imagined. But it was a grand sight.

In the windows I saw stories of epic battles, and various ponies.

I began to wonder what each of them meant?

But then I saw an image of Twilight and her friends defeating a draconequus.

"Hey Twilight, is that-?"

"The defeat of Discord." Says Twilight.

"Speaking of Discord," says Celestia, "Where is he? I haven't seen him around."

"Oh Tia, you really should be used to my hiding places by now." Came a male voice.

Celestia looks down at the ground and shakes her head.

"Discord.. Get out of the windows please."

"Oh come now Princess, don't they look so pretty?"

I look up at the windows again, this time they are of Celestia in very humorous poses.

On has a handlebar mustache, another has her eating a whole ton of cake.

"Put those windows back right now!"

"Oh come now Tia, have a little fun!" Says Discord.

There is a puff of smoke and it covers our group.

"Discord!" Shouts Celestia.

The smoke clears and I see the Draconaquus in full form.

He's huge... He's at least ten feet tall. His arms are both claws, one of a lion, the other of a bird-ish thing. He has a hoof, and a thingy? Like a raptors foot. For legs.
-
As the smoke clears he flicks Celestias chin and smiles, "You need to lighten up, Tia."

"Don't call me that." She says.

He turns his gaze to me.

"Now who, or what do we have here?" He says.

He snaps his claw and disappears. He reappears behind me, then using his body like a serpent, moves around me to observe me.

"Now just where did you come from?" He asks... Something about his voice... The way he said that...

Was it sarcasm?... Nah...

Something does seem odd about him though, vaguely familiar...

He looks me up and down. Grabs hold of my arm to make an observation.

"Not as strong as I remem- expected..." He says.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask, somewhat offended.

"Well from what I "overheard" from Tia over here is that you took on a few Timberwolves all on your lonesome." He says, sending a teasing smile at Celestia.

"When did you read that?" Asks Celestia.

"I was that little fly bothering you that night. It's funny how a little annoyance can come back to you." He says with a devilish grin.

I snap back at him, "You don't look so impressive yourself."

He looks at me with a somewhat intrigued look. Probably hasn't been counter-trolled before.

"From what I heard, you've almost taken over Equestria twice, I don't quite buy it." I say with a devilish smile of my own.

"I have been alive for 3 millennia, boy... Don't question my abili-" He says more seriously.

"How much of that was spent in a rock?" I prod at him.

He stands at his full height over me, looking down at me with the kind of seriousness, hidden anger that only an ancient entity can.

He wouldn't say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was thinking of all the ways he could vaporize me.

I'm not going to lie, it was kind of intimidating.

Soon, the anger turned to a smile. And he let off his unrelenting gaze.

"I like him, Tia. Can we keep him? I'll lay down a stack of newspapers and he can-"

"Oh I wouldn't do that if I were you, this dogs been known to bite." I say, throwing up a counter.

"But how can you bite? When you're still teething, little foal?" He shoots back

"Well how are you still walking without a crutch, gramps?"

"Why walk when you can fly?" He asks jumping into the air and flapping his small, mismatched wings.

"I'd rather stay on the ground, thanks. With the rest of the crowd." I say gesturing to the ponies around me.

"What's a crowd to a king?" He sings, flaring his arms out to look as majestic as possible.

"What's a king to a god?" I ask looking up.

He gets down in my face, and whispers, "What's a god to a non-believer?"

I'm speechless.

How did he know that line...

Celestia interrupts, "Are you two finished?"

Discord takes a bow.

I'm still a little bothered. Other than a the word crowd, he finished that quote word for word. Something's not right.

"Yeah..." I say, "I think we are."

"If you don't mind, Tia, I think I'll be off." Says Discord.

"Don't call me that Discord, try not to cause too much trouble."

Discord snaps his fingers and he's gone.

I can't help but feel shaken. Something about him seemed disturbingly familiar. Like a severe case of Deja Vu. But what was it?

Celestia notes my discomfort.

"Don't mind him, he does this kind of stuff all the time." She says, "He is a valuable asset, and his magic far outweighs the annoyances, so I tolerate him. I think you're the first one to ever last more than fifteen seconds in one of his word games."

"I don't like him..." I say.

"He's been around longer than I have. I have respect for him." She says.

"Fluttershy must've seen something in him, so he can't be all bad. No one is all bad." I say.

"I wish I could believe that." Says Celestia.

I look her straight in the eyes and repeat myself, "No one."

"Would you like to see your room?" She asks.

--------

Twilight led me up yet another stairway.

Once we reached the door she stopped and turned to me.

"We get to stay in the best room in here!"

"Wait, wait, wait, we?"

"Yeah!"

She pushes open the double doors and reveals a very large room.

The room is huge, round, and filled with books.

" Books... Why am I not surprised." I ask.

"Books are important!" She says, "we need to keep you reading!"

I roll my eyes.

"But there is something in here you will be interested in." She says.

"Oh?" I ask.

Twilight walks in and I follow close behind.

I walk in, on the right side of the room, which I assume is Twilights side, considering it has her cutie mark plastered all over it. A huge king sized bed for the Princess.

The other side wasn't near as impressive, it was plain, simple, with a smaller bed. But I was a plain and simple person. Whenever I go to places away from home, I'm the one sleeping on that couch in the hotel room, so this is a step up.

I place my stuff by the bed. My duffle bag, and book bag.

"That's all you brought?" Asks Twilight

"I don't usually need much, I brought only the essentials." I say.

"I see."

"There's a place to wash clothes correct?"

"Well there are ponies that do take care of that for you."

"Oh... I think I'm gonna have to be the one to take care of that one."

"Why?"

"You ponies don't typically wear clothes, but have you ever smelled dirty gym shorts?"

"Oh.. I suppose not, is it bad?"

"Oh yeah..."

"Did you plan on working out or something?"

"That guy, Discord, he may have just been insulting, but I'm not as strong as I used to be. I feel soft. I know you probably don't know what that means, but it's good to get a healthy dose of exercise, my body is long due for a good workout."

"Well you may be able to goto the Guard Quarters. They have weights and stuff down there."

"Is that a thing?" I ask.

"Yeah! They don't typically allow civilians in there, but being a student of the Princess, they'll make an exception."

"I may have to check that out."

"So! Wanna know why I think you'll like this room? Well, there are actually two reasons. The second will have to wait till nightfall!"

"Ok, shoot." I say.

She runs over to another bookcase, and pulls on one of the books.

Which activates a freaking mission impossible style lock and the bookcase moves to reveal a secret room!

"Holy crap that was cool!" I say.

I walk into the room, all on the walls are different pendants.

"Are these-" I ask.

"Amulets" states Twilight.

"Ooooh! Shiny!" I say reaching for one to my right.

"Don't touch that-"

*ZAP*

"OW!"

"One..." She says a little too late.

"Dang, that one doesn't like me!" I say clinging my hand.

"Many of these were born of evil magic, and that one in particular, doesn't take kindly to strangers. It can only be worn by its owner. And he died almost a century ago."

"Why are all these here?" I ask.

"To keep the wrong ponies from getting their hooves on them."

"What about the Alicorn Amulet? That was a particularly powerful one. Shouldn't that be in here?"

"At first I thought I should bring it here, but nopony ever comes to Ponyville, let alone the Everfree, I think Zecora handled it just fine."

"Fair enough. So when do I get my hands on one of these puppies?"

"All in good time." Says Twilight.

She leads me out of the Amulet chamber.

"Princess Celestia has asked to talk with me privately, what are you going to do now?" Asks Twilight.

"Well, I think I'll go check out the Guard Quarters."

"Alright, I'll have one of them take you there. Now, I mustn't keep the Princess waiting."

"See you later then." I say.

"Later!" She says.

"Hey!"

"Yes?"

"You forgot your tiara!" I say grabbing it off her bed and tossing it to her.

"Oh! No wonder it got stolen so easily! I always forget the silly thing!"

"It's been stolen?"

"Once before, but that's another story." Says Twilight.

"Maybe you can tell me it sometime?" I ask.

"Maybe..." She says guiltily.

"Something wrong, Twi?" I ask.

"No. Just a rather long story that one."

"Ah, I see, well have fun!" I wave.

"You to! Don't let the boys down there intimidate you! They've been known to scare newbies."

"Do I look like your average newbie?" I ask, I'm no stranger to newbie situations.

She just shakes her head and trots out the door.

I quickly change clothes into something I can get dirty in.

Lace up my sandal/boot/things and head out the door myself.

There is a guard there waiting for me.

He looks up at me, marvels at me, but looks mostly un-phased.

"You ready to go? Mr... Uhh"

"Please call me, Ben."

"Ben. Ready to work with the Solar Guard? Best of the best? Toughest of the tough?" He says perking his entire body to impress me. Or intimidate me. One of the two.

"Lets do it."

"Follow me then."

---

He leads me down several hallways and back out to the huge expanse that is the palace courtyard.

Farther down the path I see a large building, just out of site of the main walkway. I look up and see pegasi guards doing rounds overhead, some in armor doing patrols, others racing around the castle, whether for speed, distance, or both.

About two hundred yards from the building...

"Stop here please." He asks.

"Ok?"

"Princess Twilight told me that you wanted a workout, and I'm going to give you one."

The guard looks up to the sky, "He should be here any second, I believe you've already met him."

"Wait... I've already met him? Who?"

Then, a streak of yellow-ish tan, comes blazing across the sky.

"There he is." Says the other guard with a smile.

The streak grows closer, and closer, until.

SLAM!

There's a puff of dust and dirt next to us where the pegasus landed, violently.

When the dust settled, I look up to see a tan pegasus, with a dirty blonde mane.

His cutie mark is an arrow with a flaming head on it.

At first I didn't recognize him. But then after a second.

"Hot Shot?!" I ask, extremely surprised.

"That's right motherbucker! And I'm back for revenge!" He shouts with a challenging smile on his face.

"But I thought your coat was white? Like all the others?"

The other guard speaks up, "You honestly thought we were all white coated?"

"Well yeah? That's what my eyes were telling me."

He takes off his helmet and his coat changes color, to a blue-ish grey.

"The helmets are enchanted. We can choose our colors from a select group. But most choose the standard white."

He puts his helmet back on and his coat returns to its white state.

"Now that that is aside. Here's what's going to happen. You, Ben, are going to race our boy Hot Shot here to those front doors, two hundred meters away."

Hot Shot starts stomping the ground, in anticipation of giving this human payback for embarrassing him in front of his coworkers and Princesses.

Little did he know, I wasn't gonna let him off so easy.

I stretch out my legs, pop my back, knuckles, neck, everything. Get loose.

The other guard draws a line in the dirt.

He stands in front of the line and holds both of his wings high to flag the start.

Other ponies gather nearby to see the race.

The guards overhead stop to see their boy whoop up on this nobody from who knows where.

I feel the adrenaline pumping through my veins. THIS. Is going to be a hell of a race.

"On your mark!" Shouts the guard.

I place my hands on the start line and get down in the starting block position.

Hot Shot does something similar. He prepares to come bounding out of the gates.

"KICK HIS FLANK, HOT SHOT!" Shouts one of the guards!

"You can do it Iron Man!" Shouts another spectator!

And I love you too random citizen!

"GET SET!"

Hot Shot smiles at me, "Ready to eat my dust?"

"Watch me wipe that grin off your face." I smile back.

"GOOO!" Shouts the guard as he drops both of his wings.

We both go roaring out of the gates.

But holy Christ. That guard is fast!

He gains ground on me, he's ahead!

150 meters.

"COME ON TWO LEGS!" Shouts somepony.

"FINISH HIM OFF HOT SHOT!"

We'll see about that.

I pump my arms harder and my legs follow suit, soon I'm nipping his heels.

100 meters.

My heart is really beating now, my breathing gets hard.

Hot Shot looks back to see how far he's smoking the human.

You should've seen the look on his face as I passed him.

50 meters left we are in the home stretch.

Ponies are shouting, and hollering but I can't hear what they are saying. I have tunnel vision on the front doors.

Sweat is pouring down my brow.

In the corner of my eye I see a tan figure, but I can't tell who's ahead.

As we approach the finish line, the screams from the crowd get louder.

Hot Shot and I are neck and neck!

I put on one last burst of speed before we cross!

As I hit the line, I continue running while slowing down until I hit the door. Not literally hit, I just mean until I reach it. It's never good to stop on a dime, especially after a sprint.

I turn around and throw my hands behind my head to help catch my breath.

I turn around to see Hot Shot and the other guard talking.

"Well?" I say through pants in my breath.

The other guard turns and says, "It was too close to call."

"Aaawwww..." All the ponies in the crowd say in unison.

Hot Shot trots over to me and smiles, "Not bad kid."

He holds out a wing.

I slap the wing in a high five type gesture.

"You aren't so bad yourself." I say, returning the smile.

"Names Hot Shot, but you already knew that. About the train this morning, no hard feelings."

"Ben Short, it's all good, maybe next time you won't throw a spear in someponies chest."

He laughs and leads me inside.

Inside I see all sorts of machines and weights and the like.

"Wow, this place is awesome!" I say.

"Only the best for the Solar Guard!" He says, "Ready to get started?"

"You bet!" I say grabbing a couple of dumbbells off a nearby rack.

------

Twilight trotted into Celestias private quarters.

Celestia looks at her very gravely.

"It seems you were right my student, a human has wandered his way into Equestria."

"I know, but it doesn't make any sense that he would be in his regular form. Whenever I went there, I changed into one of them, and I came back the same as when I left. I assumed it would be the same the other way around!" Says Twilight.

"Cadence and your brother should arrive later today, but they haven't had any breaches in security. No reports of anything or anypony coming through the mirror unauthorized. Not that anything could." Says Celestia.

"That's another thing, the mirror doesn't open up for at least 18 more lunar cycles!"

"Then how did he get through?"

"Perhaps there are more than one way between our worlds?" Asks Twilight.

"Even I, in all my years, have never seen anything quite like this. We are dealing with magic that even I have never seen before."

"Another thing Princess, he's not like the others."

"Elaborate."

"During the Sunset Shimmer incident, the humans, well, they look almost nothing like him. They have two legs, and two arms but that's as far as the similarities go."

"..."

"His anatomy is all different, his body shape is just slightly different from them, he's bigger, more stout, his head isn't the same proportion to the body, and his colors don't vary as much as the ones that I encountered. He's the same, but yet, he's like nothing I've seen. Only similar enough to recognize his species."

"Does he know about the mirror?"

"He doesn't know anything, he doesn't even remember how he got here."

"Have you told him that there's a way back."

"No Princess, I told the other girls to keep it quiet. I don't know how he would react if he found out that his only way back was closed for, at the time, a little less than 24 more cycles. At first I considered telling him immediately. But I didn't want to send him to the wrong place. His name is what deterred me. At first I ignored his slight physical differences by saying he was just unique. But even on Earth, names were like here in Equestria. Ben Short doesn't sound like any kind of name to me."

"I think you made the right choice Princess Twilight. But you realize he's going to have to know one day."

"I know Princess..."

"..."

"What if there was another Earth?" Asks Twilight.

"What do you mean?"

"What if instead of just one Equestria, connected to one Earth by a portal. There was an unknown number of worlds, just beyond our reach that we don't know about? What if there is more than just one way between these worlds? What if he managed to slip through one by accident?"

"This world holds enough mysteries in its own. Nothing surprises me Twilight. But what you say intrigues me. Given the evidence, I fear you may be right." Says Celestia

"Well, what do we do now?"

"Continue teaching him, maybe one day he will come to understand it all. And find his own way home. Even I, in all my knowledge and power, cannot solve this puzzle."

She walks over to her fireplace and takes a parchment and begins to jot something down.

"The less he knows, the better. At least for now... When he's ready, when we are all ready."

------------

"And then you know what she said?!" I say.

"Nah man, what did she say?" Asks Hot Shot.

"I kid you not, she looks me straight in the face and says "Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!"

We both let a chorus of laughter ring out through the Guard Quarters.

"She really said that?"

"True story!" I say.

I rack the bar and sit up on the bench.

"You know what? I take back everything bad I thought about you when you stepped off that train!" Says Hot Shot.

"Like what?" I ask.

"Well-"

"ROYALTY IN THE GUARD QUARTERS, AT ATTENTION SOLDIERS!"

Hot Shot snaps to attention, then smacks me with a wing.

"Stand up! Wanna work with the soldiers you're gonna act like a soldier."

"Yessir?" I say, snapping to attention next to him.

I turn and see several guards. Except. These ones were different.

Instead of being white with golden armor, they had dark blue coats and some had bat wings. The feature they all shared was the reptilian eyes.

That's kinda cool.

Then... My mouth drops to the floor.

No, no, that makes no sense, wha-? Huh? But that was... WHA?

*brain-splosion*

I HAVE seen this mare, that mare from the dreams! Who? What? How the-? HUH?

She turns to me as she walks by and shoots me a wink. My mouth is still on the ground.

Hot Shot whispers to me as her entourage leaves.

"Aw dude, she was totally checking me out..." He says.

I look at him funny, "What? Totes was not, she was looking at me."

"Eh, you're probably right, who doesn't like a good visit to the zoo?"

I take my left hand and smack him.

"Ow! What was that for?"

I just shake my head.

"Who was that anyway?" I ask.

"That?" He asks gesturing out the door.

I nod.

"That, was Princess Luna. I don't know if you heard or not, but she recently returned from a trip to the moon. A VERY long trip."

"Wait... You mean to tell me... THAT, is the same pony as Nightmare Moon?"

He looks at me, "Well yes, and no. But if you wanna think of it that way."

I just stare at the door.

"I think I'm done for today, I'm feeling a little worn down."

"Aw come on, we just got started!"

"We've been at it for an hour and a half almost!"

"Yeah! Just got started!"

"Nah man, I'm out of shape, I'll catch you sometime tomorrow!"

"Alright, whatever Two Legs! Catch you around!"

I walk to the door, very sore from my workout.

My mind was literally blown.

Not only was the mare of my dreams real, but she and Nightmare Moon, were one and the same.

At least, at one point in time.

The scariest part, was that she was gorgeous.

The more I thought about it, the more it made sense, yet at the same time, it was wild. This magical world of ponies never ceases to amaze me.

As I walked back to the castle, I noted it was a little late in the day. Maybe I would go visit the library, the Starswirl the Bearded section sounded intriguing.

I reached the castle doors then I remembered something.

One word... STAIRS...

"Awww maaaan..." My aching legs were saying.

My body protested the whole way up.

I finally reached me and Twilight's room. There were two guards posted there, which meant Twilight was in there.

I nod at the guards who nod back.

I open the doors and collapse on my bed.

"Oh my Celestia! I told them to give you a workout! Not a beating!"

I hold my hand up in the air, "Oh no! I'm fine! Just give me a few... Hours..."

"Well I should at least-"

"No no no I'm fine, it's good for me, I'm just a little sore is all. It happens when you don't work for a long time then jump back into it. Plus, the worst part was the stairs up here!"

"Well maybe soon you'll be able to teleport yourself up here! Like so!"

Twilight disappears and reappears. Then again, on a different side of the room. And again. And again.

"Ok Twilight! I get it! Now... Where's the shower in this maze of bookshelves?"

Author's Note:

"Human beings in a mob,
What's a mob to a king?
What's a king to a god?
What's a god to a non-believer?"

That's the full quote that freaked Ben out. It's from the song, "No Church in the Wild" by JayZ and Kanye West. Anyways, I'm back! Hooray! More story!