• Published 10th May 2013
  • 6,490 Views, 274 Comments

I Dreamt of Her - ben717



"Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real?" - The Matrix

  • ...
21
 274
 6,490

Chapter 2: I Woke Up

The next morning…

"What is that thing?"

"I don't know, darling. But what IS it wearing?"

"Is it a SPY?"

"Hahaha! Don’t be silly, Rainbow, where in the world did you come up with that theory?"

"All joking aside, do you think it's dangerous?"

"Oh, it... It doesn't look dangerous. But it's soooo cute when it's asleep. But... but, that's ok if, if you don't think so..."

"Shhh y'all! It's wakin' up'!"

--------------------------

I feel a small tap on my nose and roll over on my bench, stretch out my arms and letting out a large yawn. When I open my eyes, nothing could've prepared me for what I saw.

"Is that a large group of,,,small...colored...horses?" I wonder loudly.

"Actually sir, we uh, we prefer the term poni-" said a small yellow one.

"IT TALKS? Haha! Nope!" I say as I roll over on my bench.

Surely I'm still asleep, any second I'll wake up and then I can figure out what town I'm in. But my "wonderful" luck seems to be holding up. About a minute later I feel a tap on my shoulder.

The same quiet voice came back, "Umm.. Excuse me, Mr. Creature, Sir. We umm... we don't want to bother you but umm.. We, umm, I just wanted to know if um, you were hungry?"

This is insane, this absolutely absurd! I have to be dreaming, this CAN'T be real. But as soon as the question crosses through my mind, my stomach made a similar noise to a whales mating call.

"MRRRAAAAAWW"

"Ah think that means yes?" Came a very southern voice.

I decide to play along with my, obviously delusional, mind's game. I turn over again and sit upright on the bench and look at the crowd of horses, err... What did she say they preferred? Ponies. As I look I see many, MANY sets of large eyes staring at me in the face.

"Did you invite the whole town to come watch me sleep?" I ask the little yellow one that woke me.

"Oh um.. I hope you don't mind, it's just that, we umm.. Don't get too many visitors like you around here..." She whispers.

"So the whole town IS here?" I ask.

"Well... All except Pinkie Pie... Which is.. Odd, she's usually the first person to notice visitors."

Pinkie Pie? My mind has REALLY gone off the deep end this time, sounds like a name from a kids show or something. While I'm on the subject of names…

"I'm sorry, I didn't catch your names?" I ask the five standing closest to me.

The lively purple, wait is that a unicorn? No, it has wings also Starts with "Hello sir, my name is Twilight Sparkle, I'm the student of-"

"Can it Egghead! Let us have a chance to introduce ourselves! *ahem* I'm Rainbow Dash! Fastest flyer in Ponyville, and questionably Equestria!" A very colorful, uh pegasus, says whilst flashing her wings for dramatic effect.

Ponyville? Equestria? What in the world?

A very regal looking white unicorn introduces herself, like a lady, "I, my dear, am Rarity." She flips her mane to enhance her introduction.

Then, out of freaking nowhere an orange pony, with a cowboy hat! I like her already, takes me by the hand, how she gripped with it a hoof is beyond me, and begins shaking it violently.

"Howdy! Mah name is Applejack! Ah work over yonder in that apple orchard! We like to call it Sweet Apple Acres! Ah live there with mah siblings Big Macintosh and Applebloom! Oh Applebloom will just love to have a new friend to talk to!" Still shaking my hand violently, "Then there's my Granny Smith! She'll love to meet ya! I don't know where y'all came from but you're always welcome around here!"

"You live with your siblings and your grandmother, what about your par-?"

The look on her face tells me to stow it. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean t-"

"It's alright Sugarcube, it was quite a long time ago..."

Sugarcube? I like her already. So southern, reminds me of people back home.

Kind of blown away by that little speech, it takes me a second to process everything that was just said to me.

I've never been good with names so, I go through the list one more time in my head.
Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, that one should be easy to remember, her hair err... Mane color and all. Rarity, followed by Applejack. Who's missing?

I turn to look at the little yellow one who woke me originally, "and yours?"

"Oh!" She slinks down and hides behind her pink mane, "I'm Fluttershy..."

"I'm sorry, what was that?"

Even quieter, "Fluttershy"

"Can you say that again please?"

This time I don't get much more than a*squeek*

Twilight steps up, "This is Fluttershy! And we are very pleased to meet your acquaintance Mr?..."

My turn for an introduction, I stand up at full height, 5' 11", towering over the ponies which stand at about my chest level. I'm loud! I'm proud! I'm going absolutely nuts!

"My name, is Benjamin Short, you can call me Ben! Nice to meet you, Twilight, Rainbow, Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy, and the entire freaking town of Ponyville."

"Minus Pinkie Pie!" Twilight chimes in

"Minus Pinkie Pie!" I correct myself

Completely aware of my insanity I begin to wonder when this is going to end. Surely I'll wake up soon. Right?

"Hey Twilight!" Says Rainbow Dash, "I'm starving! When's breakfast?"

"Ok Rainbow! Would you, Mr. Short, like to come to? We'd love to learn more about you!" says Twilight.

"Please call me Ben." I say politely

I gather up my things as the rest of the ponies return to... Whatever it is ponies do for a living... And the girls, lead me across town. I get looks of curiosity and uncertainty from all around. It was to be expected though, an alien creature walking through town isn't something you see every day. Though these five seemed friendly enough.

As we were walking to wherever we were going, I studied these "ponies." The differences between the males and females were not too apparent at first. Though after a while of walking, it was clear what gender was what. The males’ appeared to have longer, more... Well blocky shaped head, while the females’ were more rounded. The eyelashes were more apparent with the females also. But that's true for humans also. Another thing about them, they all appear to be similar in body structure. Not quite as varied as humans are. The majority of the variations are in color and mane style. Though, you do occasionally have an oddball here or there that doesn't fit the regular body size.

A couple more things, apparently colorful talking ponies weren't enough for my crazy brain, it also had to throw in things like pegasus and unicorns! Did somebody drug me or something? They all appeared to have little tattoos on their butts... What's that about? Buttmarks?

"We're here!" She chimes as I drift back out of thought.

"That is the biggest treehouse I have ever seen." I think aloud.

"Why thank you! This is where I live! This is the Ponyville Library! You can stop by any time to grab a book!"

She knocks on the door with her hoof. When the door opens I'm just as surprised as the creature that opened it.

I burst out laughing, "I'm going completely NUTS aren't I?!"

Still laughing, "a DRAGON? Let alone a baby one? Oh, I'm in a bad way aren't I..."

The girls and the little dragon look at each other like I'm crazy or something.

"First off," started the dragon, "I have a name."

Once I've calmed down a bit, I reply, "and what, pray tell, is that?"

"Spike the Dragon at your service!"

What kind of nightmare have I gotten myself into?

"Well Spike," I lean down to look him in the eye, "I am pleased to meet you."

As we walk into the main room of the library, a beautiful aroma of pancakes fills the air. My stomach, once again, makes a sound similar to that of a whale.

Fluttershy speaks up for the first time since she woke me.

"Why, you must've been starving out on that bench..."

I reply, "Well, I had a very... Interesting night last night. I'm not surprised my stomach is empty."

That's when the dragon named "Spike" called us into the kitchen.

"Breakfast is ready!" He called.

As I walked in I had to stow a laugh, is he wearing an apron, with a heart on it? Oh please don't let me laugh, I'll feel awful! He must not be around guys too much. Poor little guy.

We sit down at the table. Well, they sit down, being equestrian they don't really need them, the more I think about it, that makes sense. I do however spot a stool in the corner. I pull it up to join my otherworldly hosts. Spike then comes out with a very fancy dish full of pancakes.

My goodness, they looked delicious! I wasn't around for dinner last night! I was so hungry I could eat a horse! Pun completely intended.

As I was chowing down, it's quickly becomes time to answer questions.

"Soooo, Ben was it? How did you end up in Ponyville?" questions Twilight

I set down my fork and swallow what is left in my mouth, "Well, I really don't know. I'm still mostly convinced this isn't real and I'm still asleep in my bed somewhere. But one moment I was in my backyard, the next, I wake up in a cave in the woods. I walked for a couple hours and eventually found myself here. It was late and everyone seemed to be asleep so I found that bench that you found me asleep on."

"Well I can assure you that this is no dream. It sounds like you've had quite the night! But I've never seen a creature quite like you. Are there more of you? Where do you come from? What do you call yourselves?" She continues, the other ponies don't seem to question quite as much, they just continue to listen.

"Well, we refer to ourselves as Humans. We come from a place called Earth, you see, ponies where I'm from, aren't very colorful, they don't typically talk, or think, or act like anything much more than, well, animals. We don't have creatures such as dragons. So you can see why I'm in such a position to believe this isn't real."

"I'm going to have to talk to the Princess about this. This is spectacular! An entire world we knew nothing about until-
"
"Wait!" I interrupt, "Did you say Princess?"

"Why yes! Don't you have a Princess?" She asks.

"Actually, where I'm from, the government is a democracy, we elect and re-elect our leaders every few years."

"That's weird, I doubt anypony has ever thought of that, our Princesses have been around for so long that everypony is used to them being in control."

"Princesses? There are more than one? How long have they been in power?" I ask, curious now.
"Oh, a little over 1000 years..."

I was taking a sip of my orange juice, love dat OJ, when that bit of information hit me.
OJ comes spewing out of my mouth, "*cough cough* You can't be serious! How long do you ponies live?"

"Oh well regular ponies like, Earth Ponies, Unicorn, and Pegasi usually live somewhere from 80-100 years. But the lifespan of an Alicorn is much longer."

"And an Alicorn is what exactly?"

"Well" she replies, "an Alicorn is both a Unicorn and a Pegasus. Like me!"

She flares out her wings and shakes her mane to show off her horn.

Taken aback I question, "So how long have you been around?"

"Oh me? I haven't been around too long, I wasn't always an Alicorn. I used to be a humble Unicorn, just studying my books in this library! Until the Princess gave me the task of creating new magic. Once I did, I didn't expect her to make me a princess as well."

"You're telling YOU are a princess also? Is everyone a princess? Is Spike a princess? Am I a princess? Sounding like Oprah over here! Look under your seats! You're a princess! She's a princess! Everyone's a princess!"

After my little spiel, the ponies look at me mouths agape probably thinking, what in the world is this crazy human going on about? They clearly didn't get it.

I laugh at their being confused.

"Sorry," I laugh, "you can call it an inside joke."

"Well," Twilight starts, "I am the student, well, former student, of Princess Celestia of Equestria. As my studies progressed she deemed me fit as a Princess, and gave me a set of wings."

"Princess Celestia of Equestria? Catchy title." I start, "Wait! If you were a unicorn, does that mean you can use magic as well?"

I'm kind of excited now! I love magic! I wanna see some magic! I'm jumping up and down inside!

"Of course we have magic!" She replies, "These horns aren't just for looks! After we finish eating I could show you some!"

"Yes please!"

We finish breakfast and I help Spike clear the table, I can't be a proper guest without cleaning after myself, otherwise that would be rude.

We walk outside and Applejack speaks up, "Y'all are in for a real treat. Twilight here is one of the most magical ponies in the land."

"Oh I'm pumped now!" I reply, and I sit down to watch the show!

Twilight starts with a very simple, "Ponies and gentlecol- err uhh-men?" She asks.

"That's how you say it!" I confirm

"Ponies and gentlemen! Prepare to be amazed!" She shouts.

Applejack whispers to Rainbow Dash, "She must be taking lessons from Trixie!"

The two burst into a fit of giggling, leaving me confused but too focused to care! It's magic!

Twilight's horn gains a faint purple aura, and little objects like rocks and sticks around her begin to float! She flies them in a figure eight above her head.

I'm already flipping out! "WHHHAAAATT! That's amazing!"

She looks at me, and smiles, then in a flash of light. She's gone! Where'd she go?

I hear a *pop* behind me. I turn around to see Twilight giving me a confident look, "You ain't seen nothin' yet!"

She pops back into her original position and her horn lights up. I wait a few seconds, but nothing happens. I look around to see all the ponies looking at me.

"What? Is there something on my-? WOAAAAHH!"

I begin to float in the air, the purple aura now surrounding my body.

"What is happening?!" I begin laughing like child as she flies me around in the air!

"WAHOO! I don't know what's going, on but I love it! YEAH!" I shout at the top of my lungs!

I look over at the town and see more ponies looking out their windows and doors to see what the commotion is about. Bet they weren't expecting to see a human flying through the air!

Twilight puts me down gently on my back in the grass about ten feet away. Sweat dripping off her brow, she says, "That enough magic for you?"

I'm still laughing my head off on the ground. "I haven't had that much fun since the one time I jumped off that huge cliff with nothing but a rope around my waist!"

The five ponies looking down at me on the ground, while I just continue to bubble in my excitement!

"You know, darling, I think that there is a certain Pink pony who would love to meet your acquaintance!" Says Rarity.

"Aw yea she would!" Rainbow agrees.

Once I re-gather myself from the events of this morning I get up and go collect my things.
"Pinkie Pie is the town's resident party pony! She would love to meet someone who can get as excited as you!" Says Twilight.

"Was my excitement really that obvious?" I ask

"Is the sky blue?"

"So that's a yes." I respond.

Once again we are walking across town, it's about noon. The marketplace looks very busy this time of day. A couple of the ponies in town wave their hooves in our direction. I smile and wave back, best way to make a good impression.

"So Ben, where did you plan on staying while you were in town?" Asks Twilight.

Oh, that hadn't even crossed my mind. Well, I didn't know. If this is a dream, it really shouldn't matter. But…

The look on my face must've given it away, "Do you not have a place to stay, dear?" Asks Rarity.

"Well, I really didn't think about it. I never planned on being here in the first place so I really-"

She stops me there, "Say no more! You can stay with me for the time being, until we get this situation straightened out."

"Why, thank you!" I'm kind of taken aback, "That's very generous of you, but-"

"No buts about it! You are perfectly welcome anytime you like!"

That was so nice of her, she just met me and offers me a place to stay! These ponies certainly are nice people. They've given me breakfast and a place to stay. Thankfully I won't be in this crazy wonderland for too long. Then I won't be a burden to them anymore. But It's a dream. So I guess that it wouldn't matter, oh nevermind.

"We're here!" Chimes in Twilight

I look up and see a giant... Uh... Gingerbread house?

Twilight notices my wonderings, "This is Sugarcube Corner! Greatest bakery this side of the Everfree!"

"This is where Pinkie lives?" I ask.

"Yep! She bakes all the greatest goods, like pies! Cakes! Donuts! Jello! Cupcakes! Pastries of all sorts!" Says Rainbow Dash.

"This sounds like my kinda place!" I say with enthusiasm.

"Well go open the door and see what's inside!" She says with a mischievous smile on her face.

I look at the others, they look the same, all smiles. What am I about to see?

I walk up the entryway and grasp the door handle. When I open the door, I find myself looking down a very large, very blue barrel.

*BOOOOOOOM!*

"PAAAAAAAAARRRTTTAAAAAYYY!"

The next thing I remember is being on the ground looking up at the sky. I don't feel injured, that's good.

It kind of hurt, but dreams don't hurt... What if it’s real? No it couldn't be.

"Ummmm..." I wonder aloud, still looking up at the sky, "Did I just get shot?"

Then a very energetic pink pony lands on top of me, "HI! I'm Pinkie Pie! Welcome to Sugarcube Corner! That was the party cannon! You're probably wondering why I just shot you with it! So I was out on my daily late 3 o'clock in the morning stroll, and I walked by the park and saw you on the bench and was like *GAAAASSSP*, because I had never seen you before! I know everypony in town! So that means you're new! And that means that I hadn't thrown you a welcome party, so I ran down here as fast as I could and began getting ready for you to get here! I was just so excited I couldn't contain myself! I had to use the party cannon because no party is complete without the party cannon! Oh! I hope you didn't get hurt! Did the party cannon hurt?! If It did I'm so sorry! I couldn't help it, I was so happy!"

I just stare at the pony laying on top of me completely out of words.

"Can you repeat that? Slower please?" I ask

Twilight laughs, "This is Pinkie, she's happy to meet you."

I smile at the pony on top of me, "We'll hello Pinkie! My name is Ben. How the heck are you?"

This dream keeps getting weirder and weirder.

Pinkie gets off of me and I'm able to take in the scene. With the door of the Corner now open I can see a shindig going down. As I step inside I look around and see yet another crowd of ponies inside. It seems she wasn't kidding about the party, there are ponies jumping around and having a good time. Once inside they each take time to greet me.

I really feel welcome.

The Corner is alive with ponies, the party isn't quite like what I'm used to. High school parties typically involve much less, how do I say, appropriate music. They had me play a game called "Pin the Tail on the Pony." It was rather similar to a birthday game we played as children.

I appreciate it, I appreciate it a lot. After a while I sat in the corner and just watched the rest of the ponies play and have a good time. I just have to sit and smile. I sit and think over the entire situation. What happened exactly? When did the madness start?

I was in the water, I went down. Did I ever come back up?

Yes I came back up, but come to think about it. Wouldn't there have been the dock?

That's right! The dock disappeared after I came back up.

I rack my memory of what exactly happened. It was very foggy, I was disoriented and gasping for air when I came up.

Then that cave formation... This is very weird.

If this IS a dream, then theoretically I should be laying on the sandbar still. Right?

I reach down to pinch myself to check. But then... I stop myself…

I'm scared, what if it is real? I'd rather not know, I'll know soon enough.

I zone back in whenever a certain Pink pony shoves a cupcake in my face.

"Life's a Party! Don't be Tardy!" She shouts and hops away.

I laugh after i swallow the mass of sugar she jammed into my mouth. That is my type of pony right there.

After about another hour, the party dies down a bit, and the ponies begin to head out. The girls come and gather around me.

Applejack asks, "Did ya enjoy yer party?"

I smile sincerely, "You bet I did. But not as much as getting shot by the party cannon!" I wink at Pinkie, who returns with one of her own. Oh yeah, we're gonna be friends.

I glance outside, it's getting dark. Where did the time go? I look down at my watch, it's only about six. Odd…

Pinkie chimes in, "OH TWILIGHT! We simply HAVE to take him to see the sunset!"

Twilight jumps at the idea, "Yes! Pinkie you're a genius! C'mon Ben, race you guys there!"

The six of them race out the door running! Shoot they're fast! Luckily I still have my running shoes on, or wait... Better yet, are my track spikes still in my pack?

I quickly put my spikes on and put on my racing face. My heart starts pumping, adrenaline rushing through my veins. I quickly size up the competition.

They're essentially horses, built to run, but they're not as versatile as regular horses. My stride length is my key to beating them. I also don't know what kind of shape they're in. Guess we'll find out.

I take off out the door, luckily they left a trail for me. Actually wait, there's Pinkie right there, wait... No, I guess not... Woah! What? It was! I give chase to the group.

"HEY! Get back here!" I shout, they just laugh to themselves.

Ok, they wanna play that game. They run down the street, but then break left. I glance down an alleyway to my left and decide to take a shortcut and cut them off. I burst out of the alleyway and see the girls only a few yards to my right.

I'm gonna get you, I think to myself.

They break right, now I can see where we are headed. I can see a huge hill, perfect for watching a sunset.

Between me and the girls is only about 10 yards and nothing but a straightaway to the hill. Gotta pour on the speed, but I'm getting tired. Trying to catch a small horse is something you can't pace, I was at 110% the whole run. I'm getting worn.

First, I creep past Fluttershy. Running as hard as her little legs could carry her.

Second on the metaphorical chopping block, I pass up Rarity.

Third, I creep past her royal highness Twilight.

Now all I can see ahead of me are Applejack and Pinkie Pie. Where did Rainbow Dash go?

I look up and see her flying lazily overhead.

"Cheater!" I yell playfully.

I look back down and focus on my targets, AJ and Pinkie are neck and neck. I'm making assumptions here, but Pinkie is probably running off of pure sugar, she probably can't hold it for much longer. But I've been surprised in races before.

AJ though, she just plain looks tough, low down, knitty gritty type of girl. I throw every last bit I have into catching them before the hill. Sweat burns my eyes, I'm creeping up on these two. Before I know it I'm right up with them. On my left, I see Applejack. To the right, Pinkie.. Wait, where did she go?

I look up to see Pinkie bouncing on the top of hill. How did she?

I just slow down to a stop and start laughing my head off whilst gasping for breath.

"Are you *gasp* kidding me! God *gasp* Bless It, Pinkie!" Still laughing, "What are you doing?"

She shouts down, "Well, I remember once there was a snail that was right here! I thought I'd come check on him but he doesn't seem to be here! OH WAIT! He's over there!"

As soon as she's there she's gone again. What that was, I don't even.

I regain my strength and climb to the top of the hill where the girls are waiting for me.
"Bout time slowpoke," jokes Applejack.

"You caught me on an off day, I'll get ya next time." I poke back at her.

"Hey! It's about to start!" Says Twilight

I look out to the horizon. I see the sun sinking in the sky. Just a normal sunset right? WRONG. As the last bit of the sun is visible, there's a flash of light from the horizon. The moon rises up to take its place, the stars begin to appear, almost in a sequence. The night sky seems to paint itself across the sky. It was beautiful.

"That was beautiful." I say.

"You really think so?" Asks Twilight.

"Yeah! Who wouldn't? The way the stars just fell across the sky? The way the moon fell into position? It was amazing!"

"I'm glad you think so."

"What do you mean?"

"Well you see, not all ponies appreciate the night sky as much as others." She says quietly.

"You see," she continues, "the Princesses are the ones who move the Sun and the Moon. They control the sky, well, most of it. A little over one thousand years ago, the Princess in charge of the night felt less appreciated, and grew jealous of Celestia. She rose up in rebellion and got banished to the moon. You may want to read the history behind it. I have it in the library, if you want to read it."

"Thank you Twilight, I may have to. It sounds interesting."

After a few minutes of observing the sky, Rarity speaks up.

"As much of a lovely time we're having, we really must be going darling. Sweetie Belle is all alone at the boutique."

"You live in a boutique?" I ask.

"Why yes! I make dresses for a living dear! Speaking of which, it looks like your wardrobe could use a makeover!"

Uh oh…

"Uh, could we save that ‘till tomorrow?"

"Of course! It is getting late..."

"Ok," I say, "but let me head back to Sugarcube Corner, I left my stuff down there."

"But isn't that your stuff right there?" She asks.

I look to my right. Sure enough, there's my stuff.

"That's odd... How did-?"

Then the bag moved! All on its own!

"Twilight? Are you?"

"It's not me." She answers.

I reach down and unzipped the bag slowly. Unsure of what I'm going to find inside.

I open the pack. Out pops Pinkie Pie.

"HI!"

"AH! Pinkie! Don't do that! How did you even fit in there?"

"A magician never reveals her secrets!"

I didn't really feel like questioning her.

"Alright," I turn back to Rarity, " well I suppose we should be going then."

The walk to the boutique was fairly quiet, I was just looking up at the night sky thinking about what Twilight had said about the night not being appreciated. Surely that can't be true. A night as pretty as this can't possibly go unnoticed.

We arrive at the boutique, it's basically a giant carousel.

"Welcome to Carousel Boutique!" She says

Oh well that explains that.

"It's a very nice place you got here." I say

"Thank you, I take pride in my home and workplace."

She opens the door and let's me inside.

"It's a little dark in here, Sweetie must've already gone to bed." Rarity wonders aloud.

"The guest room is just down the hallway, just mind the dresses please."

I reply, "Thank you. And Rarity?"

"Yes Darling?"

"Thanks again for giving a stranger, let alone another creature a place to stay on such short notice."

"Oh it was nothing, I am the Element of Generosity after all."

"You're the what now? Anyway, thanks again, and goodnight Rarity."

"You're welcome, goodnight Ben."

She continues upstairs, and I go down the hallway. I quickly find the guest room. It's very nice. I set my stuff down at the foot of the bed, take my shoes off.

I really didn't really have any pajamas, so I put on a pair of sweatpants. Close enough I guess.

Finally I lay down, and look out the window. The moon is shining big and bright outside. How could something so beautiful go unnoticed, or unappreciated?

With these thoughts in my head, I drift off into dreamland.

Author's Note:

I may, or may not have made a portion of Fluttershys dialogue too small font, I can't seem to figure out how to fix it! Sorry I suck! Anyway, here's a bit longer of a chapter. I'm actually satisfied with the word count. But the way I figure, is that a good bit of these chapters are gonna be divided into the longer, daytime real life events, and partly into shorter dream sequences. I figure the way I'm going to help reveal the more supernatural forces and reasonings behind me being here through my dreaming. Remember that fish? It was important.