• Published 10th May 2013
  • 6,491 Views, 274 Comments

I Dreamt of Her - ben717



"Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real?" - The Matrix

  • ...
21
 274
 6,491

Chapter 24: This Is Me

Luna sat on her throne back in the throne room. The guards paid her no mind as she passed by but what they couldn't tell, is that she was as giddy as a schoolgirl. She had a secret. A secret she wasn’t sure how many knew, but that secret was asleep in her chambers as of right now. He was dreaming away. She wasn’t sure why she was so drawn to him, but she was. He was different, not just because he wasn’t exactly of this world, but it was something about the way he conducted himself. He was always so happy. He cared about everypony he met, even the ones he didn’t like.

She sat back on the throne in the dark night, the stars twinkled outside, the moon shone bright as did the teeth in her smile. She was waiting for the right time to enter the dream realm, he wasn’t exactly in his dreaming state. He was still in that somewhere in-between. She wondered what exactly she was going to see when she got there. Some nights she had seen the Equestrian landscape, others she had seen buildings of the nature in which she had never seen before. Metal creatures that flew with speed and skill that could rival even the most talented of the Wonderbolts. Other nights she had seen heroes that she would never have even imagined. Another thing she had seen more recently, was herself. He had dreamt of her.

With this thought, she smiled to herself. The night was quiet. She looked over some of the paperwork that Tia had left her. Even being royal meant she still had a job to do. Approving new laws, rejecting, and vetoing. Some of them she had to cast aside to await Tia’s approval. Her thoughts then drifted to that of her sister. What would she think of all of this? Last time Luna had a crush, he turned out to be a real jerk. Herself and Tia had to banish him to the Arctic. Luna didn’t think that would happen to the human, but they all seem nice at first. But who was she kidding? This creature was harmless.

But would her sister approve of this? This type of thing had been almost unheard of. There had been stories of Changelings switching places with ponies, then inadvertently fallen in love with a pony. This however was a different case altogether. This creature had saved her life, maybe she was trying to repay the favor? The thoughts wrestled her until she couldn’t even focus on her work. She set the papers down and continued reveling in thought.

Humans, they were strange. They were like small sized minotaurs with faces that were flat. Though, they appeared to wear more clothes. She thought to that beast that had visited Canterlot on a “Motivational Tour”. She shivered as the thought of Iron Will crossed her mind. He was a real creep that one.

“Are you alright?” Asked one of the guards noting her discomfort.

Luna smiled, “I am fine thank you.”

Luna watched the clock that hung high above the floor. It was positioned above the hall door. It read about midnight. He should've been asleep for a while. Perhaps it was about time to enter the dream world? No she had better wait.

Her thoughts drifted back to his dreams. Ponies dreams were good and dandy but they seemed to grow bland after a while. She had seen many things in her time. However, no matter what happened in his dreams, she found herself intrigued. Whether they took place in Equestria of on Earth. Sometimes they took place in different settings altogether.

Once she had watched him fly with no wings through a giant ship that was falling to pieces. He was a hero in his own mind. At least he wanted to be. She knew his interest in magic had other motives. He wanted power. Power to be able to help in ways he never could before. He wanted to be like his heroes. She had seen them in his dreams. The Man of Iron. The real Iron Man. She had seen him fight along side other heroes in a city called New York. They had defended the city from an alien onslaught.

Other times his dreams were more subtle and less… definite. She had once found him trying to knit a bouncy ball out of a concrete block. She was pretty convinced that he had no idea how to knit. Yet using the logic of dreams he was able to accomplish the task and then proceeded to use it in a game of basketball against a walking and talking 2x4. Basketball she had learned was a human game that involves throwing a ball into a hoop with a net on it. It was quite fun to watch really.

She smiled warmly as she thought of all the times she had hidden away in his dreams to watch him wander into uncharted territory. Then she remembered the few times he had dreams that weren't so… appropriate. Her cheeks went red as she tried to forget some things.

“Ahem.” says a guard, “Something on your mind Princess?”

Luna’s cheeks grow slightly redder as she is noticeably blushing.

“It wouldn’t have anything to do with biology would it?” Asks Hot Shot who was on the night shift.

With this, Luna’s embarrassment turned to hot anger.

“How darest thou!” As her accent switched back to the medieval form that she had been trying so hard to break.

With this Hot Shot’s smile changed quickly to that of a frightened filly.

“You darest try to embarrass thy Princess whilst she sit upon her throne?” She shouts.

“I’m sorry Princess!” Hot Shot begs, “I meant nothing by it!”

“You there!” She points to the guard next to him.

“M- Me?” Asks Hammer Head

“Take this one and…” She pauses.

“A- and what?” Asks Hammer Head, unsure.

“Give him a break. I’ve obviously scared him enough.” Laughs Luna as she quickly returns to normal.

Hot Shot who had currently had his tail between his legs, breathed an audible sigh of relief.

As he left the room he heard his employer call to him, “Perhaps next time you will learn to keep matters private!”

With that Luna turned back to the clock and laughed. She did enjoy scaring the guards. Another thing. It was about that time. She closed her eyes and entered the dream world.

——————————————————

So there I was. I was pretty sure I had found myself in worse predicaments. I was currently tied upside down by cotton candy whilst being strapped to a rocket that was pointed towards a giant caterpillar that was currently en route to destroy the great city of Bikini Bottom and Patrick wasn’t doing a very good job of pushing.

“Damnit!” I shouted as my scissors transformed into a butterfly and flew from my utility belt that I borrowed from Batman a few minutes earlier.

The evil Dr. Doolittle who was riding his pet giraffe into battle was the one responsible for putting me here. I felt a tug on my back as I realized that the rocket I was strapped to had turned into a jetpack and that the Evil Doctor Doolittle had transformed his giraffe into a huge dragon. It soon became clear that my mission was to fly after him in order to save the President of the United States from certain doom.

As I flew on, Eddie Murphy laughed evilly as he flew towards Air Force One. I approached him with speeds that surely were close to Nyan Cat speeds. With one swift motion I let go of the jet pack and latched onto the dragons back.

“End of the line Doctor Dolittle!” I cry as I pull out my battle-ax, “Your days of terrorizing innocent people with your dastardly animal speaking abilities are over!”

“Oh really?” Asked Eddie Murphy as he turned to face me. What I didn’t know is that in his back pocket he had none other than the new Turbo-Phaser 5000 and would surely do me in.

He whipped out the great device and then! As if by miracle! One of the minions from Despicable me landed on his head!

“Dave!” I cried as I rushed to my long lost friend, “I thought you were dead!”

“Nah!” He said as he punched me in the shoulder.

I stand up and look around us. I gasp in horror as the giant Banana we had been standing on was falling out of the sky and was about to squish Granny Smith trying to cross the street in Ponyville.

“Quick Dave!” I shout.

“Ba-do!” He answers.

“Quickly! We have to jump start this Bananas hyperdrive with the Flux capacitor or else a lot of people are gonna die!” I say to him.

He holds one finger in the air and grips his overalls with two hands. He pulls and beneath his shirt he reveals a blue jumpsuit!

He leaps off of the falling Banana and begins to fly!

He’s a bird! He’s a plane! He’s! SUPADAVE!

Dave flies as fast as he can around the world while he grabs an Ice Cream from Dairy Queen, then he flies beneath the Banana. With all of his might he pushes against the banana. I can do nothing but hold on until I realize something! I am Iron Man!

I leap off the banana and use my Iron Man suit that I obviously had on the whole time to assist SuperDave with pushing the banana out of its crash course with Ponyville.

With one final heave, SuperDave and I manage to push the Banana out of harms way. It lands just outside of the town. As Dave and I walk away from it I take my helmet off and then we walk towards the town. In a few seconds there is an explosion from behind us but we don’t look because cool guys don’t look at explosions.

When we get there, there is a party going on. There was even a special guest appearance by Metallica. The ponies of Ponyville gave me and Dave a parade in honor of the defeat of the Banana King! Dave made a beautiful speech about the virtues of truth and justice.
As I looked around. I turned to see somepony familiar. Just past the crowd and the music, a beautiful Princess stood there.

Suddenly everything stopped. I heard nor saw anything else of Ponyville or Dave or Metallica. My armor was gone, and I just saw Luna. As I approached her I felt the scene change. We were standing in a wide plain. The sky was dark, and wind was calm. It was another beautiful night.

“Hi,” I greeted her.
“That was certainly something interesting.” She says, “I was beginning to wonder if you two were going to drop that giant Banana on poor Granny Smith.”

“Oh that?” I ask, “Well you shouldn’t underestimate SuperDave… In fact let me bring him over… Wait where is he? Where’d everypony go?”

“They are gone.” She states.

“Where did they go? They couldn’t have just disappeared… Unless,” I say looking at Luna, “Is this a dream?”

She smiles, “Bingo!”

“Oh! Well that certainly explains a lot.” I say as I recall the events that happened before I was asleep. “Say… I should probably wake up and get myself back to the Study. Twilight’s probably gonna freak ou-”

“Don’t go!” She interrupts me.

I stop and look at her in confusion.

“I mean… I just got here, besides. You’re in the study!” She tells me.

“I am?” I ask.

“I had moved you myself when you passed out.”

I was asleep and I just stopped Dr. Doolittle from enslaving the human race, her word was good enough for me at this point.

There is an awkward silence.

“So…” I ask, “Whatcha wanna do?”

Luna looks at me blankly, “I’m not sure, I was hoping you could think of something.”

I rub my temples for a moment before an idea hits me.

I snap my fingers and the field becomes a blank slate. The surroundings are pitch black as I begin to paint my picture.

“So Princess, let me show you something.”

I throw my hands out and I begin to build a beautiful city. The buildings grow on their own. I grab a patch of dirt from the ground and I quickly sculpt a human being from the mud. I slap him on the back and he is instantly colored and he begins walking. Soon the street starts to hustle and bustle. The sky turns a deep shade of blue and planes begin to fly overhead. The birds fly from building to building and car horns honk.

“Welcome to Earth!” I say to the Princess, “At least a small fraction of it.”

She looks around in awe at the scale of the buildings. The entire scene is a lot for her to take in.

“What?” I ask, “Haven’t you been in my dreams before?”

“Well yes but it’s so… Big up close.”

“Yes, the city gets to me as well. I love the city. I don’t live in one though. No, I live far from the city actually.” I admit.

“Where do you live?” She asks

The question stops me for a moment. I hadn't really thought about that. I roll up my sleeves revealing web shooters that are attached to my wrists. Sure. Why not?

“Well then, Princess just follow me.” I shoot a web at the nearest building, “If you can.”

I leap into the air and the tension on the web sends me swinging. The wind whips past my head and I feel the coolness of the spring day. I release the web and shoot another to continue my swinging. I grow faster and faster with each web shot. I look to my right and I see the Princess ducking and dodging the buildings as she flies.

I shout, “Come on woman! Keep up with me!”

I swing faster and faster as I go in-between buildings and under bridges. As we near the center of the city, a building begins to grow from the center. The tower grows higher and higher and begins to defy gravity. I latch to the side of it to see Luna circling around it. When she comes into view I point up towards the top and I shoot two webs onto the side of the building. I stand up perpendicular to the walls and begin backing down the tower. The webs begin gaining tension. When I feel like they are about to break I leap into the air and the tension sends me hurtling towards the top like I was just fired from a slingshot.

The building begins to mirror the structure of worlds tallest building in Dubai. I near the top and zip past Luna who is climbing in altitude.

“Bye!” I tease as I zoom past her.

I fly up past the top of the spire and look down at the platform. Using my webslingers I latch to the top and land softly. Luna lands next to me. We look around and we are far above the Earth. We can clearly make out the curvature of the Earth. The giant sphere is lit by the brightness of the sun. We look over the edge and see the continents far below.

“Surely you don’t live up here.” Jokes Luna.

“No. I’m just looking. Besides I could just dream us there, but that wouldn’t be near as fun.” I state.

I point to a spot on the globe and say, “There.”

Luna gazes down but she is confused, “Where?”

I grab her by the hoof, “Hold on.”

“To wha- AAAHHHHHH!” She screams as the building disappears below us and we enter into a skydive. She tries opening her wings to stop our descent. I move my way to her back. I wrap my hands around her stomach.

“Let it go Luna!” I shout as we fall towards the Earth, “Have some faith!”

She relaxes and lets her wings fall back into position. I let go of her and we are falling together. It isn't an uncontrolled fall, the kind that are spiraling out of control. It’s the kind that is beautiful.

I looked at her as we fell. The Sun was behind her and the stars were around us as we plummeted out of the sky. She looked at me and smiled. The air blew her mane around like crazy so I couldn't help but laugh.

I looked down towards the ground and spread my arms out. Luna did a similar gesture. We neared the ground and began to fly. I pulled up and arched myself so that I would not hit the ground but I would be very close to it. I dodged the buildings and cars, within seconds I was out of the city, I knew that Luna was just behind me.

The roads turned into fields and the concrete gave way to grass as we entered infamous corn country. The rolling hills came and went as we neared our destination. We flew over many small farm towns and forests. It was a dream so I didn’t picture them perfectly, but I recognized most all of them. Soon we flew over the town I went to school.

Within a few seconds more. We flew out into the open country. I slowed us way down.

“Where are we?” Luna asks looking around at the mostly nothingness.

“My home.” I say pointing down.

Below is a small little house with a very large yard. Surrounding the property one three sides is a pond. Surrounding that pond are dense woods. In the middle of the property is a large White Oak Tree. Beyond the tree lay a dock. The dock that I got lost on.

I set us down near the edge of the road. I walk forward from the driveway. The mailbox alone is standing in the plain that is my property. I approach the home from the almost 100 meter drive. The first thing I meet is the pine tree to my left. There are three apple trees to my right. Next to the mini-orchard is a basketball court. The old rickety thing was going to rust away any day now. To the left of the driveway is the house. Nothing much to sneeze at, but it was nice on the inside. We kept it up well.

Beyond that is where the pole barn lay. Inside it were various things. Last I remembered there was a small tractor. Whatever had changed since I was gone, was beyond me. Past that is a hill that leads to where the Oak lay. The thing surely was there for at least a century. It was a gigantic centerpiece to the property. The trunk was (and is) 4 foot in diameter.

I walk to the pole barn and grab a basketball. I never was great at it. In fact, I’m a terrible, terrible shot. I just enjoyed trying to shoot to no avail. I walk out to the goal where Luna was. I check my footing and aim the ball. My first throw was close, but it bounces off the rim and out into the grass.

I let out a sigh, “Well this is it Princess. Not exactly Canterlot castle.”

She looks around the place. Then suddenly! A not so wild doge appears! The giant Yellow dream Lab comes running from around back and tackles me.

“OH! PUPPY! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!” I shout as she licks my face.

I can’t see very well because theres a huge fur ball in my face but through the doge I can hear Luna laughing at me. I roll around in the grass with the puppy. She's not a puppy but I call Avery a puppy anyway. I make growling noises as we wrestle on the ground. Alas through the struggle I am victorious and I pick her up in my arms and run towards the Princess with my gift of doge.

“Princess, I’d like you to meet the dog, Avery. It’s a shame she is just a picture in my mind.” I say, “She’s a real sweetheart.”


I place the dog on the ground and she disappears subtly. I look out over the hill to view the Oak tree.

“So this is where you lived before?” Asked the Princess.

“Eeyup.” I reply, “Something wrong?”

“No, it’s just… very surreal to see a place that… once was.” She says quietly.

“Now don’t go getting sad on me Princess. Its far from once was, it still is. I’m just not there.” I say.

I take a few steps down the hill and walk out under the giant oak. I look up at the bright sun. I sit down under it and revel in it’s glory. I begin to think of all the memories that took place under this tree. Memories begin to form as ghosts, events taking place around me that really aren’t there. I look around at them, the happy faces playing. Seeing myself flying overhead into a pile of leaves that weren't there.

I look at the Princess and open up, “This is me. Everything you can see here is me. Everything you have seen. This is all I ever was, and all I ever will be. Just me.”

The Princess quietly trots down to where I am. She sits down next to me and places her head on my shoulder. The scene fades to black as everything becomes dark. The only thing that exists in this little world is Luna and I.

Then quietly, our world became small. The curtain closed. This dream had come to an end. I had fallen in love. But only ever so slightly.

With this, Discord laughed.

Author's Note:

I did this chapter all in one day. Before you all say its very random. Have you ever tried to keep track of one of those crazy dreams? I didn't even bother sending it to the pre-reader because it was so short and sweet. It wasn't crazy deep, but I was proud of it and it had meaning. It advanced the plot, ever so slightly. My question for you conspiracy theorists is... Why would Discord laugh?

In other news: I updated the cover art? Whatchu think? Good? Terrible? J.J.Abrams Lens Flares?