• Published 3rd May 2013
  • 12,967 Views, 946 Comments

The Dusk Guard Saga: Rise - Viking ZX



Steel Song is a lot of things. Earth pony. Uncle. Professional bodyguard. Retired. So when he receives a mysterious package from Princess Luna, he's understandably apprehensive. Things are never as they seem in Equestria...

  • ...
23
 946
 12,967

Operation - Chapter 7

Chapter 7

“Look at this.” A newspaper fell to the table in front of Steel as Hunter sat down across from him. “That’s the latest news, fresh this morning.” Steel set his spoon down and picked up the paper in his hooves, unfolding the paper and looking at the large headline.

“Wonderbolt Show Ends in Triumph?” he raised an eyebrow at Hunter as he read the title.

“Sorry,” Hunter said. “Try page two. Business news.” Steel flipped the paper open.

“‘ERS Board Votes to Force Princesses to Sell Stock and Step Down.’” Steel read before dropping the paper to the table, disgust welling up inside of him. “Tartarus!”

“My thoughts exactly,” Hunter said, taking the paper back. “Apparently they voted late last night, and the last two holdouts caved. They’re meeting here in Canterlot tomorrow to finalize the sale of the stock.”

“That’s not going to make the Princesses happy,” Steel said, looking back down at his breakfast. The thick bowl of cereal didn’t have the same appeal now, his appetite already vanished in an uneasily familiar pit that he hadn’t felt in years. “Let me guess, Golden Spike is getting the first shot at the stock?”

Hunter nodded. “Right as rain. That stallion’s set himself up pretty good. They’ve got an interview with him on page four I think,” the pegasus said, shaking his head. “He makes all these big statements about the future of the railroad, the end of waste and all that. Talks up his business ventures in the badlands as well, guess he’s got some massive capital tied up down there.”

“Does he mention the ‘rail to nowhere?’” Steel asked.

“Yeah, he does,” Hunter said with a nod. “As one of the first ‘mistakes’ that needs to be cut.”

“Wonderful,” Steel said, letting his shoulders slump. “The Princesses are going to be thrilled about this.” He pulled the paper back across and flipped through the rest of the paper, searching for any good news. Finally he tossed the paper back in disgust. “Well, this puts your theory back on top,” he said, taking a bite of his breakfast. Yep, there was no mistaking it, that old pit was back in his stomach. It was a bit like the emptiness, although that had been muffled since his talk with Cappy. This feeling though, it was worse, worse by far.

“I’d better go speak with the Princesses about this,” he said, pushing his seat back and climbing to his hooves. “How long did Sky Bolt say she’d need until we got the armor and the airship up and running?”

“She said we’d have the armor by tomorrow morning, the airship the day after that,” Hunter said, looking at him strangely. “Why?”

“Give her whatever she needs to get that armor and the airship finished and ready by tomorrow morning. Magic, spells, sugar, whatever,” he said, giving Hunter a serious look. “Something in my gut says we’re going to need it.” He turned and trotted out of the mess hall, mind ablaze with activity.

He was an old pony, although his body didn’t look it. He’d been a bodyguard for thirty years, seen things most ponies had only ever heard of. He’d been to the Plainslands, the far east, and become a legendary figure in the Griffin Empire, the only pony to ever earn the title of Bıçakların Usta. Steel had done a lot in his life that most ponies would never dream of.

But the one thing he’d learned that was most important above all was to trust his instincts. And right now, they were telling him that something was wrong. Very wrong.

* * *

“Right this way, sir,” the Guard said, motioning for Steel to follow. He complied, following along although he already knew the way to Princess Luna’s private study. The pit in his stomach wasn’t enough to make him want to break into a run. Yet.

He followed the Night Guard through the castle’s hallways, occasionally peering up at paintings or tapestries or even one of the occasional stained glass windows so commonly used to show great moments from Equestria’s history. A few of them looked old, although he couldn’t recall seeing them before. Perhaps they rotated them on occasion?

“This way,” the Guard said, motioning him up a familiar set of stairs and into the Princess of the Night’s personal tower. Almost immediately the colors changed, switching from the familiar red, white, and gold colors of the palace proper to shades of silver, blue, and purple more befitting the colors of Princess Luna. The carpet underhoof became thick and soft, muffling their hoofsteps. Idly, Steel wondered how much of the wing's design was Princess Luna’s choice and personal input compared to how much of it was the palace stewards making a choice for her.

Before long they had reached the entrance to the Princess' personal study. As usual, two of Luna’s personal detachment of Night Guard were stationed outside, watching Steel as he approached through slitted eyes. He didn’t recognize the pair tonight. They weren’t the same pair he’d seen on other occasions. The Night Guard was a little secretive about the details of Luna’s personal Guard, nopony but Luna and the Captain of the Night Guard herself, in addition to the members of the personal guard, knew exactly how many of them there were. Given that this was the first time he’d seen the mare and stallion in front of him rather than the other pair, he suspected there weren’t many.

“Wait here,” his escort said, and Steel suppressed the urge to roll his eyes as the Guard stepped forward and gave the door a gentle knock. He was just doing his job, and wasn’t in a hurry. The door lit up with a blue light and swung inward, the Guard motioning for him to enter.

“Hello Captain Song,” Princess Luna said without looking up as he entered her study, the door swinging shut behind him. “Please, have a seat.” He did as she indicated, sitting down in one of the few chairs sitting in front of her desk. The study had changed little from the last time he had been there. A different painting sat in the easel, this one so early in its development that he still wasn’t sure what it was supposed to be of. A few of the paintings around the room had changed as well, including a new, prominently displayed painting of what looked like some sort of crystal spire with colors flowing from its tip, almost as if it was being lit by the aurora borealis.

Princess Luna sat up, the papers she had been examining sliding across her desk in a blue glow and neatly filing into a drawer. “Captain Song,” she said. “I was wondering if I would be seeing you before I retired for the day.” Steel gave a small bow at her words. “What can I assist you with, Captain?”

“Your highness,” Steel said, unsure of exactly where to begin. “I—I saw the news this morning, about the ERS.” Luna’s face turned down at his words. So she already knew then. He would have been surprised if she hadn’t.

“Yes, I am aware of the situation,” the Princess said, her voice slightly more stern than it had been a moment ago. “Unfortunately, there is not much that my sister and I can do, our hooves are tied by law. The action is completely legal, and for my sister and I to do anything other than object would be an abuse of our powers, as well as go against everything we have stood for.”

“I understand, your highness,” he said, avoiding her gaze. “But something about this doesn’t feel right.”

There was a pause, and then Luna spoke. “Have you learned something that my sister and I should be aware of?”

Steel shook his head. “If you heard about the note—”

“I have.”

He sighed. “Then you have heard as much as we have, your highness. Despite that however,” he paused for a moment and then looked up. “Something in my gut tells me that there’s something wrong about this whole situation. I don’t know what it is, but I’ve learned to trust my instincts. Something about this is wrong.”

Luna stared down at him a for a moment, and he could feel the beginnings of a cold sweat breaking out on his back. Then, at long last, she spoke.

“I do not disagree with you,” she said, her voice somewhat softer. “But unfortunately, without proof we cannot give any cause to put a stop to the sale.” She paused for a moment. “Nor can we authorize a full investigation without proof. You are free to investigate on your own of course,” she said, cutting him off before he could speak. “But only as agents under your own suspicions as the Dusk Guard. Were my sister and I to become involved without direct proof, it could easily be seen as either of us abusing our status, and we cannot risk that.”

“With your permission then,” Steel said, waiting for her to nod before he continued. “I would like to request that two members of my Guard be present at the meeting, regardless of where the location is.”

Princess Luna nodded. “Of course you may, it would be a small matter. Our own Guard will of course also be present, so the presence of two more should not be seen as unusual.”

“In full armor, ready for anything.” Steel said, watching Luna’s expression carefully. That last request was, he knew, pushing it. It was one thing for the Royal or Night Guard to wander around in full armor, as theirs was mostly decorative. The Dusk Guard’s on the other hoof ...

“Permission denied,” Luna said, her starry, ethereal mane swaying as she shook her head. “Full armor would be, I am afraid, far too much for those present. In the old days, I would have said yes, but in modern Equestria … “ She shook her head again. “They may come either as themselves or in formal dress, but not in full armor. As much as I myself would rather that were the case,” she said, her voice a bit quieter for the last part of her statement.

“Very well, your highness. Thank you,” Steel said, giving another bow and beginning to rise. “In that case I—”

“One moment, if you please, Captain Song,” Luna said, and he froze, lowering himself back onto the seat. “Do not be worried,” she said, giving him a smile. “This is not about the Dusk Guard. I just had a question for you.”

“Alright,” Steel said, his face neutral. “What can I help you with?”

Luna smiled again. “It is nothing you can help me with, I was simply wondering if your emergency was taken care of.” Steel felt his heart stop at the Princesses words. “The one you left to Canterville for?”

“I … uh—it went fine,” Steel said, mind racing for an apology. “I understand that I left without warning, and I am fully prepared—”

“Steel!” The use of his first name by the Princess stopped him cold. “I am not angry with you. Although,” she said with a faint smile. “In the future I would appreciate it if you would at least give a bit more warning to your lieutenant.”

“Even so—” he started.

“Captain,” she said, cutting him off. “I am not going to reprimand you for leaving your post so suddenly. In fact, quite the opposite.” She rose from her seat.

“Walk with me for a moment,” she said, heading for one of the two doors in the back of the room. It lit up in the grip of her magic, the dark wood swinging open to reveal the balcony that he had seen when he’d first visited her study, although this time it was more brightly lit, the morning sun having already climbed high enough in the sky to dispel any shadows.

Steel followed Princess Luna as she stepped out onto the wide balcony. The view from the tower was truly impressive, he could see miles upon miles of East-Central Equestria rolling away in front of him. Golden fields of wheat stretched from the foothills of the Canter mountains all the way to the base of the Unicorn Range, slowly waving in a gentle breeze that was in time with the one that slid through his mane. The sky overhead was almost completely clear, only a few lengths of thin, wispy clouds sitting here or there, most of them attended by weather patrol pegasi. Off to the north, Cloudsdale drifted gently, its faint and gentle upward and downward bob only visible at a distance.

“Steel,” Luna said, looking out over the balcony. “Do you know what all of my duties are as Princess of the Night? Aside from my handling the raising and setting of the moon?” Her eyes settled on Steel and he shook his head.

“Most do not,” Luna said, turning back to look out over Equestria. “Like my sister, I manage many aspects of our fair country, some of which have been completely untouched in my absence. For example,” she said, turning and looking right at him, her eyes brimming with ancient knowledge and purpose, “watching over the dreams of my subjects.” Steel’s eye’s widened.

“I do not intrude,” Luna said, looking down at Canterlot. “I merely wander the space between as ponies sleep, often doing little more than making sure that the lives of my ponies are restful and content. But occasionally, I find that there are those who are not content, those who—for whatever reasons—are not experiencing a night of peace and rest. Such things are natural, happening from time to time. A foal has a nightmare about something that scared them that day, a parent is worried for their daughter, or a student has fears about going to their school.”

“But sometimes,” Luna continued. “Sometimes these fears persist, growing from day to day. And when that happens, when I can see their disturbance growing, then my attention is gained. I will enter their nightmares and see what gives them fear.”

“I had no idea, your highness,” Steel said. “That sounds—” he paused, struggling for a word. “Incredible.”

Luna smiled, still staring out over Canterlot. “Impossible you mean, although I assure you it is not. It is one of the reasons I chose to speak to young Nova Beam. Being so close to the castle, his own dreams were some of the first I saw each night, and I could see that while his dreams were not nightmares, they were not the dreams of somepony who was content.” She smiled. “I am pleased to say that his sleep for the past few nights has been much more restful.”

She stopped speaking, and for a moment Steel was left with his own confused thoughts. He’d never heard of anypony entering anypony else's dreams, at least not outside of ancient legends and stories he’d heard as a foal. But if anypony was going to do it, it would make sense that Luna could. But why was she telling him? Did she want him to speak to Nova about it?

“I am not telling you this so that you can speak to Nova about it, if that is what you were thinking,” Luna said, dispelling his theory, and once again reminding him how impressively in-tune the Princess was with his thoughts. “But rather so you understand something. A few weeks ago, a pony in a small village not far from Canterlot began to have nightmares. A bit out of the ordinary, or so I thought, as her dreams were normally quite cheery. But as the nights passed, her dreams grew worse, to the point that sometimes she would not be asleep.” Steel frowned as he listened to her words, trying to work out why she felt the need to explain. Was it something to do with the thefts? Had she found a connection?

“And so,” Luna said. “Worried, I entered her dreams. What I found there ...” Luna paused, and then smiled. “It was unexpected. So I whispered a few words of comfort, and then left, hoping things would take the proper course.” Her smile grew wider, and she turned, looking down at Steel. “And then, a short time ago, the night you left for your emergency, in fact—” her eyes held a merry twinkle now, as if she was privy to some private joke, “—the nightmares stopped.”

Steel’s brow furrowed as the Princess looked at him, an expectant look on her face, and then everything she’d said clicked into place. A mare whose nightmares had begun a few weeks ago. And then had stopped the same night he’d gone and apologized to—

“Cappy?” he asked faintly, feeling his voice waver.

Princess Luna nodded, her ethereal mane blowing in the wind opposite the breeze. “Captain Song, I wanted to tell you this as a friend, not as a Princess.” She leaned in close and his head gently pulled up until she was looking him in the eyes. “All your life you have been devoted to your talent,” she said, her voice soft. “Serving faithfully as one of the great protectors known to ponykind.”

“But your talent can be more than just protecting somepony from fire, storm, or some other danger. Not everypony faces the same challenges that you have. Not everypony needs a defender to hold back a raging minotaur, or to stop a griffon assassin. Sometimes the only thing they need is a pony to protect them from the emptiness a life without can bring.” She stood up, removing her hoof from his chin, and walked past him, back across the small balcony that led to her study.

“I must retire for the day,” she said, her words barely piercing the sudden hurricane of emotions roiling inside Steels chest. “Please, feel free to take your time thinking things over up here.”

“Princess Luna?” Steel called, spinning on legs that almost felt weak underneath him. His throat felt strange, almost itchy. Princess Luna stopped, turning her head back to face him. “Without what? Emptiness because of a life without what?”

“What else but the two most important things anypony can have?” Luna said, smiling at him. “Family and love.” She turned and left the balcony, the door shutting behind her and leaving Steel standing alone, running the Princess' words over and over through his mind.

Author's Note:

Do you feel that? That last, tiny bit of calm before the storm hits?

Get ready. :rainbowdetermined2: A storm is brewing.