• Published 4th May 2013
  • 6,149 Views, 310 Comments

The New Boss - Dash Attack



A Five Score, Divided by Four side story. The son of a mob boss turns into a villain from a kid's show. Read the full description for more details.

  • ...
29
 310
 6,149

Always Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide

That night, when I was done chilling with my brother, I took another journey into my memory. Like a first person cutscene in a videogame, I sere through the eyes of my former self, but have no control over my body. Together, we read through the dusty tomes of the forbidden archive.

Even though the books are in some alien language, I am able to understand their context as if they were in English.

Already, I am learning some awesome spells that will most definitely come in handy. To my surprise, I find that some these spells are ones I either learned from echo or casted by accident. When a spell of interests crosses my eye, I immediately do my best to memorise it, so I may practice it in the present.

After about of hours of memory hopping, I start noticing foggy and incomplete fragments. One minute I'm reading Raising the Dead For Numbskulls just before everything around me starts to get foggy. The next I find myself reading the third chapter of Mind Slaves and You.

But raising the dead is no interest to me, at least too my present self. I’ve seen enough horror movies and enough of Antonio's anima too know that no good could ever come from a spell like that. As Dean Winchester once said in an episode of Supernatural “What’s dead should stay dead!”

Eventually, my past self stumbles into a shelf knocks over a picture book. The moment I saw the cover, I knew this particular book would be essential to filling my goal. The book was titled Controlling Memories. Past Sombra eagerly levitates the book forward and the two of us waste no time in memorizing it’s contents.

To my dismay, the book contained mostly spells I’ve either already learned or had no interest in. When I eventually find something of interests, excitement overcomes my consciousness. The book gave me instructions on how to erase or suppress memories, but also how to implant and create them.

When I get to the chapter about how to restore and repair memories, the room around I am transported to another seen in the life I can’t recall. While that spell would have made thing a hell of alot easier, perhaps it was for the best that I don’t know that spell. If I ever got all my memories back, what would become of the part of me that was Steve? Would I still have feelings for my brother? Would Thunderlane still be my friend?

These thoughts scare me, and so I decide to return to the present.

When I return, I look at my alarm clock too find that it’s four o’clock in the morning. I must have been inside my own head for hours. Before I could pass out, I levitate a notepad and pen and write down everything I could recall from my “pensive” session. When I finish, I hop onto my bed and abruptly pass out.

---------

It’s day three since me and my brother went full pony, and finally is still difficult for me. Sombra’s backyard is a complete mess thanks to my constant failure. There are imprints of myself scattered all over the ground, one of which I’m lying in right now. I’ve already broken at least three statues after crashing into them. If I keep messing up like this, the Anello’s might have a higher landscape.

As I groan in self pity, my brother flies too me see if I’m ok.

“Are you sure you don’t want my help bro?” he asks.

I sigh. These past few days, I’ve been telling him I wanna figure it out on my own. It’s embarrassing when your little brother is better at something than you, especially if that something is flying. My legs wobble a bit has try to get back on all fours. I look up at my brother and grin.

“Just a few more tries Rumble.” I say as try to shake away the pain from latest landing. “I was up almost two minutes. Besides, if you recall from the show, I was once a wonderbolt hopeful.”

“Yeah, but did you get in?”

“That’s not important.” I say with as I give him an annoyed glare and unruffle my wings.

“Come on Thunderlane,” he pleads as he brings his four hooves together like a begging human. “Please let me help you. I think I know what the problem is, but you need to let me help you. It doesn’t matter if I learned how to fly first. What matters is I can help you, but only if you let me.”

Before I can give an answer, I can hear one the gang members call out my human name.

“Mr.Price, the boss wants too see you.” he she shouts from about a yard away from the machition

I turn to Rumble and give him a silent apologetic look.

“I’ll let you help me next time Rumble, right now I need too see what Sombra wants.”

Rumble nods at me. “Thanks Thunder, also tell Steve to hurry this whole take over thing up so I can go hang with my friends again.”

I chuckle at how simplest he made Steve/Sombra’s goals sound, as if it were a simple choir that had to be done, and not a hostile takeover with an unknown outcome. As I start to canter towards the man that called my name, a shiver runs down my spine. I think back to that scary creepy dream the night I lost my humanity. While the dream was probably just symptom of my concern for both him and my brother, the fact that it could potentially come true unnerved me too no end.

Six days ago, Steve was just a rich punk with a smart alchemy attitude. Sure me and him got into some nasty gang fights, heck we each killed at least one or two rival gang members in a couple of fights. Like when the Bluebloods tried ambushed us during a drug deed outside the city, I shot a guy right in the face. But after everything he’s done throughout the course of a few days, I can’t say for sure what road my dear friend is headed.

Before I step in, I look up at the man who I realised as my friend Garry. He looks at me dumbfounded brushes his hand against my muzzle as if trying to figure out if I’m real.

“Is that really you David?”

I nod. “I’m mostly going by my true name, Thunderlane, but yeah it’s still me. At least I think so. I think the only real major change is that I’m pushing myself a’ot more than I used too. Besides that, I don’t think this pony thing changed me too much.”

He nods.

“Man you must be living the dream right now, being in that body after being such a huge pony fan.”

“To be honest.” I say as a sag my head down a bit. “Not really feeling too good about it. It’s like don’t even belong on this planet anymore. Everything's smaller, my mind’s been alternated, I can never eat a hamburger ever again. The wings are nice but everything else… I just wish I could be human again.”

He nods at me in agree ment before before stroking his chin with his hand. “I hear man. This is a really odd situation you and the boss are in, but what exactly do you mean by ‘mental changes’?”

“Like I said before, I like that I find that I can push myself more than I used too. I used always liked working out and challenging my body, but now I feel like I can take on more punishment than ever. It’s like I’m more motivated than ever. Also, me and my brother have been subconsciously calling each other by our pony names since this whole mess started. We still remember our old names, but after awhile, we just decided the pony ‘autocorrect’ wasn’t worth fighting. Deep down we’re still the same err… ponies we were back when we were people, If that even makes any sense?”

Garry laughs as he leans his head back. This doesn’t last long, because he immediately snaps right back to attention and looks down at me.
“Sorry!” he says, “but Lord Sombra is waiting for us in the conference room.”

“Do you even know what any of this is about?” I asked with a hint of concern.

“He’s about to go over his plans for his city wide takeover with the rest of the gang, and he’s requested that you speak with you before doing so. Sorry that’s all I know.”

“Thank you the heads up Garry.” I say to him. “I’ll head over now, listen, were still friends even though I look and sound nothing like my old self.”

“Most likely.” he said as he scratched the back of his head. “Listen, I’m gonna need sometime to adjust to the fact that people are turning into cartoon horses. Part of me feels as if I’m in some sort of dream, even though I’m awake. But yeah, if you're still the womanising, sex crazed, party loving dude undeath all that dark grey fur then were fine. Just get your ass down to the conference room before Sombra putts one of those glowing purple colors on me.”

I nod and trott into the house, wondering what exactly Steve could possibly want with me. Hopefully nothing sinister. My body starts to shiver as I get closer trot through the halls. One would think after living with Sombra for a couple of days, I would have become less nervous of him. I still don’t know how deep his sanctity has fallen, and I’m still waiting for the moment when he turn on me or my brother.

I shake my head as if to fling the thoughts out of my skull. Sombra is still my friend, and I promised I’d stick with him. Plus, this mansion is the only sanctuary me and my brother have. I need to trust that the old Steves personality is melded in with whoever he has become.

Eventually I come to the doors of the conference room, which were wide open. I peaked into the room and scanned the large circular table in the middle. Sheet of paper and glasses of ice water could be found next to every seat. At the very very end of the table, sitting a large spinning chair, was Sombra himself, still wearing his his royal attire.

Despite the butterflies in my stomach, his friendly smile makes me feel welcome, to the point where even his fangs were no longer threatening. His eyes were plain red right now, with mean he must be happy too see me.

“Please come in.” he says humbly.

I trot over and take a seat next to him and turn my head to face him.

“Gary tells me you're going to be starting your war planning today?” I ask as I watch him take a sip of water. “I thought you said, ‘I didn’t want to be involved in any of this. That my debt to the organisation was over’.”

Sombra closed his eyes and sighed. “You know longer have to get your hooves dirty for this family anymore Thunderlane. Wait? Would you rather me call you David. Since I didn’t know you in my other life, I can still call by your human name.”

“Whichever you prefer man.” I tell him as I force myself to smile.

“I guess I’ll just call you Thunder for now, anyways we should probably get down to business.”

He magically spins his chair so that his chair is facing me. He’s sitting in human like position, tapping his front hooves together as if he were given an evaluation or job interview.

“I promised you will no longer have to engage in anymore violence. Me and you survived some pretty nasty fights with the rival gangs, and killed a ourselves a fair share of people. The business messe with you head, makes you do things you never thought you were capable of. However, I what I am about to ask you does not require anything dirty, and could ultimately save countless lives.”

Save lives, what the heck is he talking about?

I lean my head closer and straighten myself up in the chair, making sure my wings are folded so that they don’t get bent.

“Can you please just tell me what’s going on?” I say, almost yelling. “You're starting to scare me.”

There was nothing but silence for about a minute or so.

“David,” he said softly before raising his voice “I need you watch over me and make sure I don’t turn into a complete monster. I afraid that my darker side may cause me to do terrible things during the take over. I want the people to fear my power, but I also want their respect. Also, I’m afraid of losing everything that made me human.”

My jaw literally drops as I see a stream of tears flow down his muzzle.

“I still see that little girls face from the bank David. I can still hear the that man’s cries of agony when I blew a hole in his chest. Plus, the power I feel from my rage and the fear it creates is intoxicating. It makes me feel like a god man.”

“I really do want to help all those other ponies out there, and want to create a world we don’t have to hide in this house. As far as I know, changing back is impossible, but I for one am not going to live my life in solitude. Today, when I start going over the plan, if I suggest something that sounds Chaotic Evil , I need you to call me out on it, ok?”

While I was relieved he was actually worried about going too far, his request was a little unsettling. It made me feel a little uncertain about the future, but it also made me a little more hopeful.

I reach stretch out my hoof and smirk at him. “Hey, didn’t I already be too be your Jiminy Cricket a few days ago? Don’t worry man, so long as me and my brother are out of harms way, I’m going to stick with you.”

“That’s good too hear.” he says chuckling. “From now on you're going to be my royal adviser. Your job is too make sure my darkerself doesn't screw this utopia up. Right now, I am in complete control of myself, but I find that depending on the situation, I can really get carried away. It happened in the bank and during my assault on the mansion. I’m scare myself David, but either way I’m going through with my goal.”

“I’m not a therapist thought.” I said, “What makes you think I can keep you from going overboard?”

He places a hoof on my shoulder. “Because right now, you're the only friend I have who knows me, both human and pony. Steve and Sombra. You know me and Sombra’s personalities, you have to connect with both, or our lives could be destroyed.”

“Ok, I’ll do it, but only if you get yourself a therapist to deal with your messed up dual personality disorder.”

For a moment, I thought he was going to disintegrate me for saying that, but too my surprise he actually starts to nod in agreement.

“I will, but first, we have an evil plan to conduct. The rest of the my inner ‘circle of darkness’ shall arrive here soon. Tomorrow night, we begin phase one of my plan to not only save the other ponies, but form a kick ass empire to boot.”

As he smiles happily to himself, I watch purple smoke rise up from his eyes once again.

Author's Note:

Special thanks to Roboman792. I had to update something to celebrate season 4, and since I'm really hyped about Sombra's five score cameo, I went with this. I have a'lot of catching up too do if I ever wan't to get to the part where Five Score and New Boss intersect. Some unique moments are going to happen in my story involving Fluttery and Shining Armor with permission from Spectrum, wile another will happen in the next chapter of Five Score.

Also, maybe you guys haven't notice, but I just deleted the adventure tag and added slice of life and romance tag. Is SomberLane going to be come the next big ship. Lol no, but love will bloom in the chapters too come. Just not with anypony you've seen yet.

Can't freaking wait for season 4.