School for New Writers 5,012 members · 9,625 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15
XiF
XiF #1 · Sep 14th, 2013 · · ·

Fluttershy may be a miserable pony, and maybe nopony would notice if she disappeared, but she does not talk like this:

Um hi um Twilight.... um... how um are um you.... um doing um to um day... um?

"20% cooler" and "10 seconds flat" are not the only two things Rainbow Dash have ever said. In fact, she's only said those things once; I'm pretty sure.

When you're writing, don't be afraid to brush up on canon by watching an episode or two (or all of them; I don't know) of the show (several times). It can really help you put yourself in the character's shoes (or horseshoes, whatever). Pay attention to setting. Pay attention to what the characters say and do, and why. If you're writing a story about Rarity, rewatch "Sweet and Elite"; if you're writing Princess Chrysalis' earthequestria-shattering back-story in which it turns out she's secretly a changeling, why not watch the season 2 finale? If you're describing the Everfree Forest in your 100-word magnum opus, why not pull up a reference image? You may think you know everything there is to know about everything My Little Pony, (way to go, you nerd) but the chances you haven't analyzed it like you would some inane novella in English class.

So, my point, I think, is to watch the show.

PegasusKlondike
Group Admin

1750387 That's actually a decent suggestion. Marathon for me then...

If you're describing the Everfree Forest in your 100-word magnum opus

omai i actually did that once

Also, that's a good suggestion. I'mma go do that.

1750387 Yep. Stopped writing for like a month to marathon the episodes just to get a better feel of the characters.:pinkiehappy:

RoMS #6 · Sep 14th, 2013 · · ·

Fluttershy may be a miserable pony, and maybe nopony would notice if she disappeared

XiF

1750397 :moustache:

1750406 Yes, leave. :pinkiecrazy:

1750454 Magnum Opuses are the worst, aren't they? :applejackunsure:

1750455 I hope that worked out for you! :raritystarry:

1750507 Although, one could probably make a substantial argument for Applejack as well. Maybe we could hold a contest between them or something?

Hmm...analyze the show and it's ponies and casts more...? :applejackunsure:

But I suppose if you understood the character just by COUNTLESSLY looking up info on the char and gone to the source of that created character, you'd probably understand them. I see where you're coming from! :D

Even more important if you're writing a shipfic. You really have to pay attention to how the ponies interact when they're not the focus of the story.

Cryosite
Group Contributor

I actually decided to save some generic notes into a .txt file with general bits of info on the different episodes that I might find useful later. Things like which characters have speaking roles, which were central to the episode's plot, etc. That way even if I don't remember exactly who all was in a particular episode I have something I can refer to to help me pick which shows to rewatch for any particular writing project I might do.

It really is a great way to focus your characterization and make for better dialogue and various other decisions. Long-term memory is a funny thing.

Um... Chrysalis IS a changeling. Their queen to be exact. And not a princess ;).

Aside from that, you'Re abolutely right. Nothing drives readers away faster than inaccuracy (well, OCs maybe...). And re-watching the show is never wrong ^^.

XiF

1756797 That was sort of the joke. You know, with all the X is secretly a changeling fics.

and if you don't have the internet on your side and can't watch the shows on youtube the episode transcripts from here, are an OK substitute.

Thanks for the reminder. I've checked the episodes and found I'd made a mistake ...more than once.
The differences between the characters in the show and the ones found in fanfic can be pretty dramatic, but I'm guessing it's probably better if that's "because of artistic license," instead of "because I just don't know the material." :twilightoops:

XiF

1773948 Be careful with artistic licence. These are characters your readers know and love; they won't like you going all willy-nilly without a good reason.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15