Twilight's Library 4,830 members · 6,274 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17
arcum42
Group Admin

Given the volume we've been receiving in the Incoming folder, I decided it was time to add a few new admins to help out as well. After talking things over, I'm happy to announce nygiants93, Miss Dark Angel, and DJ Garv the Expert as admins for Twilight's Library.

Miss Dark Angel is the writer of Grounded, and wrote Goodbyes are Hard recently. She's also an experienced proofreader and editor.

DJ Garv the Expert is actually my second in charge over on the Scootaloo group, and he is also an experienced prereader and editor.He's also an experienced admin, so he should do well here.

As far as nygiants93, have you read "Happy Hearth's Warming Eve, Squirt", Shame at the Checkout, The Dreadful Poets' Society, A Father's Love, or My Brother, the Storyteller? Why not? He's been featured here multiple times,and is generally a good author.

In any case, I'd like to extend a warm welcome to all three of them on our admin team...

:yay: all good choices, arcum

947722 Am I allowed to take credit for suggesting Missy and nygiants93 to him? :rainbowlaugh:

arcum42
Group Admin

Of course you can.

Hm, you know, I should have added an image to my initial post, shouldn't I? This one seems appropriate...

Yay. Happy to join. :yay:

947720 Nicely done.

She's also an experienced proofreader and editor.

I think you mis-spelled "BEST EDITOR EVER" :rainbowlaugh:

Comment posted by Candle_Jack deleted May 4th, 2013
arcum42
Group Admin

Glad to have you here!

Well, experienced doesn't preclude best. And she isn't my editor, so I couldn't judge. Actually, I don't have an editor at the moment, so I really couldn't judge...

I am a little ashamed to say that I have been rather busy recently, so I have only been able to be active sporadically, and not all of that going through the incoming, so the recent additions will help! Especially since we now have breached 400 members and continue to grow.
I will still have to up my game though, but I should be having a brief period of respite in between here and finals.

arcum42
Group Admin

No problem. As I told Belgian, I know that people are going to have RL come up. And RL certainly has gotten in my way, which is part of why I started increasing the admin team in the first place.

I would like to know when people are busy, though, One issue with the way we currently do things is that it can be difficult to know who is doing what. ..

I meant to comment earlier, but I must have pressed the "preview comment" instead of the "add comment" button. Ugh. Anyway, thank you so much for inviting me to be an admin of this group, it means a lot :twilightsmile:

arcum42
Group Admin

Believe me, I'm very happy to have you here as one of my admins. Though you might not be as thankful when you see some of the fanfiction you end up reading in the incoming folder occasionally. :unsuresweetie:

Ah yes, those fics. I assume that I will see many massive walls of text, horrible cliches, and grammar so absurdly horrid it will make the story seem as though it was written by an ADD 4-year old that had just consumed two coffees and a Red Bull?

arcum42
Group Admin

Not necessarily many, but every so often. If you really want an idea, glance through the rejected thread. There are a few cases where I've quoted a few paragraphs of the fanfic and said specifically what some of the issues I found were. Mainly because I'd really like people to resubmit them later after they were fixed up.

In practice, the ones I've noticed resubmitted were resubmitted with no changes, and I've ended up rejecting them again.

But don't forget foalcon, fics that are mainly about rape, and things that just generally make me cringe or shake my head. And rape isn't necessarily completely prohibited, either. I'm actually good with 'rape and revenge' type stories, Ones where the subject is actually treated properly and realistically. It's things like 'a homeless pony rapes Miss Cheerilee in an alley' I don't want to see.

Occasionally you'll be rather torn on whether to reject a fanfic or not, too. In fact, I'm letting someone else do Hooves of Clay because it left a bad taste in my mouth when I read it, but I want a second opinion. It's written well, but..

Yeah I'm probably going to have to ask for second opinions sometimes, namely because I don't always trust my judgement when it comes to reading. However, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, I suppose.

I still have exams on Monday and Tuesday I'm in the car all day driving back to NY from school so I'll start with this later next week. I hope that's okay (also I've gotta make sure I understand how this group and accepting/rejecting fics works around here). :twilightsmile:

arcum42
Group Admin

Definately feel free to ask for second opinions. It can feel very awkward when you are rejecting something with a fairly positive like dislike ratio, which I've done before.

Don't worry about starting later in the week. Seems like most of my admins are busy right now, actually.

And if it helps, the incoming standards originated basically as me codifying what I liked and didn't like reading in fanfictions, so if you have similar standards, you'll do fine. In fact, early on, there wasn't an incoming folder, and fanfics got in if me or my brother read them and liked them. Things have changed since then.

(Though I do still add fanfiction I personally read and like, which is one reason why pretty much anything you write will end up in the group whether you submit it or not. I'm following you, and I generally read anything new you put out. :scootangel:)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17