TwiLuna 3,805 members · 881 stories
Comments ( 28 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 28
Majora
Group Admin

Welcome to the first monthly Tuna contest. Should be blast ehh? I'll keep this short and sweet.

The prompt is: Broken Crown

Rules: Fics must be focused on, or have heavy elements of Twilight and Luna's relationship. Their interactions can be platonic or romantic. As for Word count, lower limits are 1500 so that your story can actually be a story, its hard to judge a 250 word mini-fic. The upper limit is 35,000. Why so much? I love Tuna, feed my addiction. Lengthy entries however are not guaranteed to get you a higher score, so please only do what you think is best for your work. The story you write for this contest must be original. This means that you have to have never posted it before the contest started. Stories that have been written up to but not posted are allowed, including stories from the mini contests that are running/will run with this one. If you are working on one and anyone other than yourself has read it, it is not permitted. Reworking and adapting prompts is acceptable, provided there has been significant change or expansion. Basically, you need to submit your own, original story for this contest. Editors to help polish are fine, coauthors to write half of it are less cool. If you’re unsure, message me!

Entering: Simply add your entry into the "Contest Submissions" folder.

Judges:
The ever glitching and glorious overlord, Gaster
The Lurker who is as elusive as he is popular, Skeeter The Lurker
The Fuzzy and passionate, Fuzzyfurvert

Prizes: Due to my failure to get them quicker than I did, Prizes shall be be the following:

1st: $15 Steam Card,

2nd: $10 Steam Card

3rd: $5 Steam Card

The top three will be featured on the front page until the next contest. All entries, regardless of placement, will be featured in the contest folder for eternity.

For those who do not use steam, we will negotiate on a prize.

The deadline is February 25th at 11:59pm GMT: -6

The deadline is March 11th at 11:59pm GMT: -6

The deadline is March 18th at 11:59pm GMT: -6

Does it have to be about a romantic relationship, or is a story focusing on Twilight and Luna's relationship (i.e. friendshipping) acceptable?

Majora
Group Admin

5794432 It can be platonic or not, just as long as they are very close to each other.

Been awhile since I judged a contest. This'll be enjoyable.

~Skeeter The Lurker

Broken crown prompt as related to a damaged head piece of a ruler or can it be any interpretation of the terms? Such as a cracked skull if you will.

Hmmmm. Prompt doesn't fit the thing I have half written. Guess I need to start a new thing!

It could involve dentistry as well.

Am I the only one who imagines people going fishing when I hear the words "Tuna Contest"?

P.S.: Tuna is the best ship name I have ever heard.

Hey my prompt! Sweeet

If I may make a suggestion, I think it would be difficult to compare/judge a short story (1,500 word piece) against a novella (35,000 word piece). The writing styles for both are fairly different from one another, so perhaps we can have separate contests for the two? I understand that there are "cash" prizes for these and you wouldn't want to dish out double the rewards to do two contests, but maybe there is a solution for that as well. :twilightsmile:

Regardless, I'm looking forward to reading what everyone enters!

5794954 I sorta agree, but it's really hard to run a contest where you have different categories, it means you have to be confident enough people will enter in both. I think it's okay for this first contest to be more broad, if it succeeds, more narrow ones may be the next step. Right now I feel it's more important to let any and everyone who has a story enter. (And I doubt we'll get any really long ones, writing 35k in just two weeks would be quite an accomplishment! Possible, but not something most people are going to do!)

Fuzzyfurvert
Group Contributor

Just to throw my two cents in here, but this is something we've discussed over in the Twilestia group too. I'm a fan of narrowing that word gap, but as SPark points out, this is a preliminary run. We'll need to zero in on where contestants are most likely to build up their fic size. Longer tends to be better, but at the expense of writer stamina and time.

So for now, it serves us better to leave the door wide open and see what we get. Then we can re-examine the results and refine the rules so that we don't discourage writers that see such a big number and get cold feet about it.

Fuzzyfurvert
Group Contributor

Also, I'd like to suggest and extension to the contest end date. Two weeks is pretty tight, pushing it out to the first weekend in March should give potential contestants some more breathing room without dragging stuff out.

I second that.

~Skeeter The Lurker

Majora
Group Admin

5794468 Any interpretation is good, be it literal of figurative.

5794432 5794448 5794468 5794472 5794501 5794618 5794633 5794832 5795162

The contest's end date has been extended to March 11th at 11:59pm GMT: -6

Well, I'm really glad the extension happened! I might have managed to crank out something by the old deadline, but I might not have. I have something done well in time for this one, though, I just finished my rough draft! I'm letting my in-house editor (aka. my husband) have a look over it before I publish, but it'll be up in time in any case. :twilightsmile:

5794423 I'm assuming no worse than teen rated, right?

Majora
Group Admin

5829021 Preferably. It's hard to judge a mature against a teen rated story accurately.

5829224 Makes sense. Just verifying the rules is all. :)

Okay! My story is in. :twilightsmile:

P.S. I really do hope lots more people enter. There's time yet. *crosses fingers* Though I'm thinking... the title says "monthly" but maybe a quarterly schedule might be easier to manage? Just a thought. I certainly couldn't turn out an entry every month.

Fuzzyfurvert
Group Contributor

I would second a quarterly contest schedule.

I'll try to bang something out before the deadline. I don't know what's wrong with me, because I initially didn't start something because I thought the deadline was too short. I am not smart.

Jeez I'm such a newb, I didn't know there was a human approval process for fics. It's been awaiting approval a while, so guess I'm out of the running this time around. Next time!

5794423 Heyo. I see that there did seem to be 5 entries, so I am assuming the contest is being judged. How long is that going to take? Just curious. :twilightsmile:

Majora
Group Admin

5878721 I'm waiting on the other judges to Pm me thier reviews to post results.

5878764 Awesome. Thanks again for running this. Even if the response wasn't massive, I had fun.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 28