The Writers' Group 9,304 members · 56,594 stories
Comments ( 48 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 48

Hiya there, lovely peeps!

This one is for the Brony-Potterheads out there.

I’m not sure it this is the right place to do it, but since it concerns the show, I’m going to assume it’s okay. I am going to Sort our six main ponies of Friendship is Magic into the four Hogwarts Houses.

Twilight Sparkle - Gryffindor
You may think that smart, knowledgeable, bookish Twilight belongs in Ravenclaw, but she truly doesn’t. Twilight is brave, bold and heroic. She doesn’t hesitate to do what’s right and she knows that strength comes with unity. She tands up for what she believes, she’s there for her friends and would sacrifice anything for them. I don’t know about you, but that sounds like the essence of Gyffindor to me.

Rainbow Dash - Gryffindor
Rainbow also belongs in Gryffindor. She’s brave, bold and daring, oftentimes to the point of recklessness. She has a deep, burning desire to be heroic and be viewed as a hero. She also acts on impulse and emotion, as do the fiery, hot-tempered Gryffindors. What’s more is that Rainbow is also very proud, in both the positive and negative sense of the word. She also has a tendency to believe she’s the best.

Pinkie Pie - Ravenclaw
This one might seem controversial, but hear me out. At their core, Ravenclaws are curious, open-minded, creative, quirky, wise, outside-the-box thinkers and smart in the unconventional way. Doesn’t that sound like Pinkie? We’ve seem time and time again that Pinkie is really smart and intelligent, in her own way. Ravenclaws also value freedom in all its forms, including the freedom to be unabashedly themselves.

Applejack - Hufflepuff
AJ values hard work, honesty, integrity, respect and family. She’s grounded, down-to-earth, fair and just. She also values her friends and family, and a comfortable home life. She doesn’t look for glory, a fancy lifestyle or material possessions; she just loves what she has. Her hobbies and talents are also very earth-y: farming, agriculture and the like.

Fluttershy - Hufflepuff
This one is pretty self-explanatory. Fluttershy is similar to Applejack in many ways. Fair, honest, kind, loyal, and down-to-earth. Flutters happens to enjoy simple in life. She admires and respects every creature for who they are. She’s also fixed to a moral code. Out of all the mane 6, Flutters is the one who rarely goes against her elements. Her hobbies are also very grounded: fauna and flora are the things she cares about the most.

Rarity - Slytherin
Rarity displays many qualities of that House. She’s smart, clever and resourceful; she thinks around and through her problems. She’s also very ambitious, passionate and displays and impressive mastery of her field (fashion). Rarity, like many Slytherins we know, values worldly possessions; she enjoys fancy things, money and the company of the elite. She’s also very image-conscious and cares deeply about her reputation.

Now this is based purely on my own opinion, so feel free to disagree. And what do you guys think? Feel free to tell me!

I agree with you with those, double so with Rarity!

I add a few more.

Apple Bloom I see as Griffindor She’s determined to prove she can handle any problem. Brave enough to venture out to meet Zorcora and enter the Everfree.

Scootaloo is a Griffindor as well. She the most likely to throw caution to the wind and race forward into a situation. Only time we really saw her scared was on the camping trip. Part of that was confessing she was afraid.

Sweetie Belle here I think is a Ravenclaw we see her strive to learn Magic and later episodes she masters Teleportation. Even early episodes she has a higher then normal knowledge base. How she corrected words to the point Scoot’s asks if she was a dictionary. She starts barely ably to levitate to teleportation before she’s out of basic school.

Starlight: Slytherin she's gifted in magic, but she given how cunning she can be, yeah she's there
Sunburst: Ravenclaw his nose is always stuck in a book
Sunset: Slytherin or Gryffindor hard to tell but she falls into either one
Flash Sentry: Gryffindor... just because

Oh, Star is definitely Slytherin material, alright. She fits the House definition perfectly.

Sunset is Slytherin and Gryffindor. She has the clever, cunningness and resourcefulness of Slytherins and the temper, impulse and pride of Gryffindors.

No, Sunburst doesn't belong in Ravenclaw. It's the same problem as Twilight; they're too by-the-book. Ravenclaws are supposed to be curious, open and wise. Sunburst is smart, but he's no Eagle.

And no, Flash doesn't belong in Gryffindor. Not much of his personality has been given for me to Sort him into any house.

Bloom is Gryffindor material, with slight Hufflepuff undertones.

Scoots is also Gryffindor material. She's likely to follow the likes of Rainbow Dash and do what she does.

But I have to disagree with your Sorting of Sweetie. I don't think she's Ravenclaw material. I mean yes, she's smart beyond her age, but she's not wise. Hermione Granger is also very smart, but she's not an Eagle, she's a Lion.

Can’t dispute with the Pinkie Pie one. She’s practically the Luna Lovegood of the show.

Twilight Sparkle - Ravenclaw
Rainbow Dash - Gryffindor
Pinkie Pie - Hufflepuff
Applejack - Gryffindor
Fluttershy - Hufflepuff
Rarity - Slytherin

I know! Pinkie is basically just a more energetic version of Luna. I don't get how so many fans miss that.

I've already stated my reasons for the Sorting, but I would love to hear yours, too. Why do you think the characters should be placed in these houses?

I'm in agreement with Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Rarity.

You may think that smart, knowledgeable, bookish Twilight belongs in Ravenclaw

Yes.

Pinkie Pie - Ravenclaw This one might seem controversial, but

Despite her cleverness, at her heart, Pinkie Pie really feels more like a Hufflepuff. I don't think I'm alone on this.

Applejack - Gryffindor
I mean...

Well let me think

Pinkie Pie belongs in the 75% Hufflepuff. That house is like a glue of Hogwarts that holds other houses together. The members are friendly, willing to work with others. It would fit her. 25% Ravenclaw she could use her intelligence, but let's be fair Hasbro's Pinkie is not that clever

Twilight: I think she could be in 40% Revenclaw she is a librarian, loves books. She could be in 25% Gryffindor She is heroic, it's her cannon house, she is brave. I guess she could be a 25% Slytherin she is a strong leader, to be fair she is ambitious.

Rainbow Dash has strong 75% Slytherin traits: ambition (has a clear goal of joining the wonderbolts). She displays cunning and resourcefulness when she wants to be. Pegasi heritage.,has some leadership qualities. 25% Gryffindor: she is pretty brave, I guess she is brash and always flies into danger head first. She doesn't really belongs in the Hufflepuff. Yes, she is loyal, but snakes are loyal too. She is not really patient or hardworking.

Applejack is well, she is a 40% Hufflepuff she is also a 60% Gryffindor. I see her hard working, kind of fair, brave, willing to help others

Fluttershy is kind of tricky. She has qualities of a social butterfly. Kind of strong 50% Hufflepuff qualities , she is a little bit of 30% Slytherin she dispays trickery and resourcefulness to communicate with the Discord by offering him friendship.

Rarity: yeah, I can see that her being as Slytherin she shows that she has some Hufflepuff qualities in her. Could she have some Ravenclaw in her? Yes, probably.

The "right" place to do it would probably be one of the Harry Potter groups... but you'll certainly get more responses here. Here are some prior takes.

https://www.fimfiction.net/group/201561/harry-potter-bronies/thread/372557/sorting-ponies-into-hogwarts-house-groups

https://www.fimfiction.net/group/201561/harry-potter-bronies/thread/96322/question-if-thats-allowed

As for your interpretation...I'd say they're all plausible, yes. My own assignments (which can be found in the above threads) match in some ways, but not others. (Also come with mini-bios for Potterverse Manes.)

Seem good.

No, Sunburst doesn't belong in Ravenclaw. It's the same problem as Twilight; they're too by-the-book. Ravenclaws are supposed to be curious, open and wise. Sunburst is smart, but he's no Eagle.

No, Ravenclaws can totally be hidebound scholars. It's their dark side, like Malfoy is for Slytherin and bullying jocks like Cormac MacLaggen (or, arguably, James Potter) are for Gryffindor.

Best Match!

Interesting way of breaking it down.

I can see that you agree with me that Twilight isn't Ravenclaw.

Let me explain why I think that Pinkie isn't Hufflepuff material. Hufflepuffs are, by definition, fair, loyal and hard working. I mean, Pinkie is hard working, but that's not what defines her. Hufflepuffs are also friendly, but again there are other traits that make up Pinkie Pie. I still say she's Ravenclaw, but in that house, members are open-minded, creative, quirky and love being themselves. That sounds more like Pinkie to me.

Applejack has Gryffindor undertones. I mean, yes, there's no doubt she's brave and courageous. But if I gave AJ the choice, she would choose honesty and integrity (Hufflepuff qualities) over nerve and bravery (Gryffindor). I mean, AJ is grounded, down-to-earth and has extremely close ties with her friends and family. She doesn't seek glory and enjoys her simple, comfortable home life. That's Hufflepuff.

I guess we'll agree to disagree.

No, he thinks (like me) she is a born Ravenclaw. (Especially start-of-show Twilight.)

Ravenclaw really doesn't present itself as being

members are open-minded, creative, quirky and love being themselves.

I mean, yeah, that's Luna, and she went there... but remember how she was treated? I think she was an outlier.

(Personally, I think Pinkie would do any house good... but Hufflepuff would do her the most good. The Hat cares about that, too. Plus, it's right next to the kitchens so she can visit her house-elf friends whenever she wants!)

AJ could honestly go either way - I put her in Gryffindor because I already had two Hufflepuffs. (Plus, her and RD being dormmates is intersting.)

Bonus - there's a secret pattern. Can you spot it?

HapHazred
Group Admin

7431627 I might be alone in thinking this, but I think Fluttershy is a Stealth Slytherin.

She's got a manipulative streak. She acts pretty nice and endearing and sure, she is, but there's no denying that her little cutsie act is her way of getting what she wants. She also has a very evident mean streak that surfaces in more than just a few episodes. When pushed, she's pretty quick to get mean. The main reason she doesn't seem to get mean a lot is because she appears to repress that side of her. That doesn't sound very honest-y hufflepuffy to me.

She knows how to be kind and how being nice to others can help get her nice things in return. Just like coercing an animal, she is very aware that the easiest way to get what she wants is to just be nice to people. It's no surprise that out of all of them, she's the one to befriend Discord... the snakiest, most devious of them all, or that she hangs out and has fun spa-time with Rarity, who is full of ambition.

We don't notice this a lot because for the most part Fluttershy is a force for good, but imagine for a second that she had ambition and wanted to rise up in the world... it wouldn't be through hard work, or through a lot of booksmart, or through bravery. It'd be by playing the right people and ingratiating herself in the right circles.

That sounds pretty Stealth Slytherin to me.

Or maybe the whole thing is bullshit. Who knows. Maybe it's just an easy way for a magic castle to catalogue children. Who knows, indeed.

Hmm... I think the fact she doesn't use it to rise in the world might be why she isn't a Slytherin.

Can I disagree with you?

I don't think Fluttershy does good to get her way. She does good just because. Good things come to her because her good deeds attract them.

I mean, yes, Flutters does have a manipulative streak to her. She knows how to get what she wants, but she ain't gonna do that. She hesitates to user her Stare on those she loves, and only does so when there is no other choice.

Also, Slytherins aren't mean by definition. There's another misconception. They are cunning, clever, resourceful and ambitious. Most importantly, they are natural leaders. Flutters is none of those things.

HapHazred
Group Admin

7431731 I dunno. Not all slytheries are going to become great leaders of their time.

A lot of them might just display some of the traits associated with it. And I reckon Fluttershy displays more of that kind of sly, indirect behaviour than she does, say, bravery. Or hardworking honesty. Or booksmart intelligence and reason.

Not to mention, a lot of ravenclaws might be ambitious as well, or hufflepuffs working their way up the ladder. Ambition isn't the only factor, here. It can't be; otherwise the only successful students would be overwhelming slytherin by dint of them being the only ones trying.

You have three comments and I'm gonna answer all of them at once.

I'll give your liked threads a read, might give me some insight.

Okay fine, maybe Sunburst will be sorted in Ravenclaw and then represent the flipside of the house. It's possible.

(Personally, I think Pinkie would do any house good... but Hufflepuff would do her the most good. The Hat cares about that, too. Plus, it's right next to the kitchens so she can visit her house-elf friends whenever she wants!)

I can't really argue with that.

Yeah, I did spot the secret pattern.

HapHazred
Group Admin

7431733 I'm not saying they are mean. But I am saying they tend to prefer less direct methods to getting where they want to be. A hufflepuff will work hard for it, a griffindork will charge at it, and a ravenclaw will learn about it, but a slytherin isn't about that. Maybe they manipulate underhandedly, maybe the ask nicely for it. Maybe they bully, or maybe they just keep good contacts (like Slughorn).

Fluttershy doesn't seem to be that hard a worker, or that brave and headstrong, or really that well learned. That leaves one last option, and she tends to get her way by asking, coercing, and on rare occasion, threatening (remember the stare?). Natural leader? Look how she gets animals to do what she wants. Cunning and resourceful? Again, she can be nice and coercive with the best of them. If that's not both of those things, even on a subconscious level, then I don't know what is. Actually, the fact she does it without really trying seems to strengthen this argument.

Fluttershy may simply want to be in a cottage taking care of animals. That's cool. I don't judge. But how she gets what she wants might have a big difference on what house she ends up in. Thinking she has to be mean all the time to be in Slytherin is, as you say, a misconception. So why can't she be there?

I put Fluttershy in Hufflepuff because she doesn't seem to want much out of life. She loves her friends, her animals and her home. She's happy with she has and instead focuses on her relationships. She's not after worldy pursuits. Essentially a Hufflepuff.

But yes, if Flutters had ambitious and a desire to do more, then she would be Sorted into Slytherin. But she lacks ambitious, a traits that basically defines the House of Snake. All her other Slytherins don't exactly make up who she is.

HapHazred
Group Admin

I put Fluttershy in Hufflepuff because she doesn't seem to want much out of life.

Gasp! Now who's stereotyping? Hufflepuffs can do more than just flounder about without any purpose! Like Newt, highly dedicated to the cataloguing of creatures! Or Cedric the Overachiever, team captain, seeker, triwizard champion, love rival? Tonks, highly dedicated to the Order of the Phoenix? Those don't sound like they didn't want much out of life. They sound pretty rad, actually.

And speaking of unambitious Slytheries, what of the likes of Crabbe, who never really displays any ambition other than following around Drago like a puppy? Or Phineas Black, who turned his back on fame and his family and instead embraced a life of doing, well, basically nothing, just to support muggle rights? A bit low on the ambition meter if it was the only factor. Not to mention Snape himself, who pretty much throws his own future away just to help someone else and never really seems to be in control of his own fate afterwards, throwing his own agency away to serve the memory of someone else. That's very low on the ambition meter if you ask me!

As I mentioned to Latecomer, Slytherins don't have a monopoly on ambition, and it stands to reason that the other houses don't have a monopony on the saccharine and sweet as well.

The truth is, despite how much her sweet and kind outward personality might suggest...

Fluttershy would do well... in Slytherin.

Besides let's be real it'll add some variety into the mix.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Actually, for Sweetie Belle, I'm kinda thinking Slytherin...

--Sweetie Belle

True - there are a lot of facets to the House ideals. And the actual Houses are an order of magnitude more complicated, both because people, like RDDash puts it, will contain traits of more than one House, and because as seen with none other than Harry, the Hat takes requests to a degree. And that's before you bring in the question of if the House tries to balance each House's intake, and if that disadvantages alphabetically later students... (Of course, the whole thing makes a lot more sense when you recall it's basically an attempt to emulate the Founders' personal selections, back in the day. Though at least they could negotate...)

Hmm...now I'm wondering if you saw the same pattern as me, or another one...let me know after you read the threads!

And I'm glad my reasoning for Pinkie was convincing.

Alright, she can be manipulative. She also one of the smartest of the CMC her magic went from struggling to full teleportation and she isn't even out of school. I also remember her having stage fright.

Hmm...I wonder if Rarity being in Slytherin would make it more or less likely...

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Sweetie Belle has been shown trying to be like Rarity, so probably more likely.

--Sweetie Belle

She's also struggled with being in her shadow, though.

My trouble with Sweetie being Slytherin is do we see her being Ambitious enough? Rarity always wanted to be Upperclass even so far she planned to get Prince Blueblood to fall for her, so she would be the Mare everyone wants to know.

Sweetie Belle could have been center stage during the Talent show if she didn't have stage fright we know she can really sing. She often following the ideas of Apple Bloom and Schootaloo instead of coming up with Crusader tasks herself so she's happy willing to be a follower.

It's not like Slytherin lacks followers and toadies, though.

(It seems as though we got on to a full debate concerning this issue, but I'm not complaining 'cause I never get to do much debating in real life.)

Back to the point. I'm not stereotyping Hufflepuffs.They are ambitious and of course they are meant for greatness. They just work hard for it. Hufflepuffs are unafraid of toil. Fluttershy is the one who mostly lacks ambition, making her not a good fit for Slytherin.

The issue with Fluttershy is that she, too, works hard for what she believes in. She reaps what she sows and will strive for her beliefs.

You say that Fluttershy has Slytherin potential because she has the ability to manipulate her way to greatness. But the Flutters would never do that, would she now?

Slytherins aren't afraid to get dirty to reach their ends. Flutters doesn't have the will to do that. The Sorting Hat can't put Flutters in Slytherins because, even if he realizes that she has the required qualities, she won't act on those qualities. Flutters sticks to a fixed moral code, Like. Hufflepuffs.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Having stage fright and being ambitious aren't really things that contradict each other. You just pursue your ambition other ways. And Crabbe and Goyle are obviously willing to be a follower, too, and are Slytherins. Though, really, I'm not sure the CMC has a leader, particularly, as whose lead they are following switches around. In Twilight Time, they were pretty much following Sweetie Belle's lead.

Apple Bloom: I can't believe she gets so much attention without even really doing anything!
Scootaloo: She's using somepony else to build herself up, and without even putting any effort to learn her own skills like we do!
Sweetie Belle: Hey, come to think of it, if we get really good at the stuff Twilight's teaching us, we could be the big shots around here for a change! Hmm...

Sweetie Belle: Of awesome! Don't you see? We're really and truly and certifiably the biggest of the big shots in school right now!
Scootaloo: Huh?
Sweetie Belle: They all think we're the greatest, because we're their ticket to get time with Ponyville's newest and biggest celebrity, Princess Twilight!
Apple Bloom: We just said like two seconds ago that invitin' two ponies to Twilight Time was a big mistake! And now we're supposed to bring the whole class?
Sweetie Belle: Relax. I got this.

Scootaloo: She's coming!
Sweetie Belle: Okay! But stay out of sight!
Diamond Tiara: As you wish, Sweetie Belle.
Sweetie Belle: Yes, as I wish.

--Sweetie Belle

HapHazred
Group Admin

7431795 DW this is fun. I always enjoy playing with interpretable personality things like this. Besides, what you're witnessing is basically 'Slytherin Man argues Famously Nice Pony is Also Slytherin'.

Flutters doesn't have the will to do that

She clearly has the capacity. The will is debatable, since she likely doesn't feel the need to act this way, thanks to her wanting to mostly just take care of animals, but we see more than once that when pushed, she can play rough.

Dragonshy, she threatens a dragon. The stare is basically intimidation. The Grand Galloping Gala? Literally setting traps. Oh, and this is season one! Later she uses her nice and charming wiles to coerce Discord. She shows a vicious violent side she typically represses in Putting your Hoof Down. She has the capacity for meanness. She even gets a bit more control over this later on, being prepared to kick people out just to get her way (breezies). Actually, more than any other of the main cast, she has the capacity for it. Unlike the others, she has to repress it. Rainbow Dash is rude and mean by accident a lot of the time. Because Fluttershy has to repress this, and moreover, knows she has to, that strikes me as being another point in favour of her being a Stealth Slytherin. A nice, lovely, charismatic, Stealth Slytherin.

And Slytherin work for their positions too! Everyone works; the huffies don't have a monopoly on working. The difference is how they work. A huffle is direct, workmanlike, grounded, personal. They put the hours in. A Slythie is indirect. They also put the hours in, but they play it smarter. Like a snake, they don't travel in straight lines. They put a lot of work into, say, maintaining good contacts, making sure they are where they want to be. If that means doing some work, well, they'll do it (otherwise they could never pass school), but they'd prefer to get what they want without having to work hard for it. The perfect Slytherin outcome is to have things set up so that they never even need to ask. No wonder why many famous slythies have powerful positions and prestige so that people go out of their way to accomodate them as part of society.

Sounds very similar to Fluttershy. Maintains good relations (and puts a lot of effort into it, even), knows when to ask for help, clearly has a comfort zone and is keen to stay there (her cottage surrounded with animals, living an easy, comfortable, relaxing existence... similarly to how we find old Slughorn, actually, except with pets).

The main sticking point people will bring up is that she doesn't seem very ambitious, but I might disagree. We already established that slytherin don't have a monopoly on ambition, so there's not much reason why she couldn't simply be a less ambitious member who nonetheless shared many of the same methods and indirect mentalities. Moreover, thinking she's unambitious is an assumption. When she was younger, being entirely self-sustaining and living with animals may very well have been ambitious, particularly for a pegasus from Cloudsdale. Moreover, ambition doesn't always work with cutie-marks. Not all of them are competitive. If she's fulfilling the requirements her cutie-mark destiny seems to demand, then most of her attention won't go towards upgrading her position, but towards maintaining it.

This is similar to how Slytherin like the Malfoy aren't really that ambitious; they already have a lot of wealth, and prestige. their concern is not losing it. And nobody even thinks to challenge Fluttershy's position as the caretaker of animals. Perhaps the biggest clue that she is Slytherin is that she has no competition. So we don't really know for sure that she's unambitious, or rather, that she was never ambitious.

Slytherin don't have to manipulate their way to greatness. There simply isn't a way for every Slytherin to be great. The average Slytherin probably won't amount to much at all, same as how many griffindors probably won't sacrifice their lives enthusiastically. Many slytherin are probably quite content with their position so long as they're living comfortably, but if they decided to try to elevate their position, they'd be more inclined to do it using an indirect tactic.

And it still doesn't change the fact that her main method of getting things done is generally through the act of asking nicely, pushing people's buttons, making good friends and contacts, and maintaining good relations with animals who pretty much act at her beck and call.

And come on. If she's not a Slytherin, then let's at least agree that she's a Griffindor. Similarly to Neville, she spends most of her time overcoming her numerous anxieties to the point where overcoming adversity seems to be intrinsically linked to her personality.

I accept defeat and back down. You are right Sweetie does have a bit of Slytherin in her!

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

To be fair, I can see the Ravenclaw side. She does manage to actually teleport herself, and that's pretty strong magic. I just think the Slytherin side is stronger. :unsuresweetie:

--Sweetie Belle

She would probably be given a choice like Harry did.

I been playing around with a Discord in Hogwarts story idea. I think he be in Slytherin (after the shorting hat starts screaming in terror).

What do you think? He not brave, he so powerful he has nothing to be afraid of. He is intelligent but seems too absent minded so not Ravenclaw. Definitely not a Hufflepuff.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Slytherin does seem the closest, if for no other reason then that I'd have trouble sorting him into any other house.

I could see the sorting hat refusing to sort him, too, though, or his chaos magic affecting the sorting hat.

--Sweetie Belle

The hat would fly off... or explode.

I give up. You made some pretty good points I can't possibly argue against. You would make a pretty debater.

On a related note, what house are you in?

7431632 Given her past and the fact that she tends to go for the direct approach, I'd argue Sunset is still ultimately a Slytherin. She might not even care about the house's reputation.

I think I'll hold out for Hufflepuff in a practical sense - because not even the Sorting Hat would dare make her cry. (Whether that just makes her the stealthiest Slytherin is a matter for debate... but do recall what Dumbldore told Harry, when he asked why he wasn't put in Slytherin.)

HapHazred
Group Admin

7432218 All the quizzes put me in Slytherin. I agree with them! Not sure how I feel about sleeping in the dungeon though.

Actually most quizzes think I'm a villain in general. Hmm. A personality problem, perhaps.

The Slytherin common room isn't actually that bad, despite what the surroundings may say. We've seen it in Book/Movie 2. It looks cold, but comfortable.

I'm Ravenclaw. Both by my own decisions and by all the quizzes I took.

HapHazred
Group Admin

7432408 I'm just a little anxious about residing in a part of the castle designed to be locked from the outside, not the inside. It otherwise looks like a very charming cell! Like the décor. View seems a bit lacking. I'd give it a 6 out of 10 for overall design.

I dig Ravenclaw. Given my very rational and scientific leanings it's a fairly natural second choice for me, but I suspect I'm just too machiavellian and underhanded to be anything other than a snakeboi.

I mean, to be fair, “dungeon” is basically Hogwarts vocabulary for “basement”. I don't think it's an actual dungeon. And the Snake common room isn't the only room there. The kitchens, Badger common room and Potions class are all down there. Underground. Which common room is your favorite?

EDIT: Since two groups admins, HapHazred and SweetAl Belle, have replied, I suppose this thread doesn’t go against the rules. I was really worried that I was writing a illegal thread.

You kind of get the impression, though, that the Hufflepuff zone and the Slytherin zone are total opposites in being "warm" and "cold" - just like the Houses themselves are so opposite they don't share classes, like Gryffindor and Ravenclaw. (Which, I supoose, would reinforce the idea that if Rarity is a Slytherin, Applejack should be a Hufflepuff...)

I never realized just how Hufflepuff and Slytherin are two polar opposites. Potterheads (like myself) tend to pit Lions against Snakes, failing to realize that there are other rival Houses. And yes, it does prove my argument that AJ is a Badger, not a Lion.

Sorry for almost 2 years late, but here's what I think

People tend to forget that the sorting takes into account their SKILLS AND DESIRES. The only things people talked about is their talents and personalities, not accounting who they want to be and traits they admired.

Example is Neville. He is probably the last thing when I think of being Gryffindor material. At the start he is pretty much a coward with no bravado, even though people might argue about some kind of secret bravery going on. He only becomes brave until AFTER he acquires that trait from Harry. The reason for his sorting into Gryffindor was due to his ADMIRATION of brave people and WISHING to be brave himself. That is his main, and even probably sole reason for him being sorted into Gryffindor by the hat. So far, the hat cared more about his wishes and desires than his skills and personalities.

Harry, at the beginning, was pretty much 45% Slytherin, 35% Gryffindor, 15% Ravenclaw, and 5% Hufflepuff. Even the sorting hat thinks he would be at his best in Slytherin. However, due to Harry's insistence of being close with his new friends, and despising early on what Slytherin stands for, the hat ultimately sort him at Gryffindor.

Hermione, even though more suited to Ravenclaw, were sorted to Gryffindor, due to insistence for being close to her new friends like Harry, or probably even secret admiration to brave and daring people, like with her admiration to Lockhart. Ron too probably wants to stay close with his friends and family at Gryffindor, and somewhat admiring people doing courageous things, or maybe because he likes Quidditch sports in general. Malfoy and his goons, even though carried little to almost no cunning skills and probably small ambitions, were sorted into Slytherin for his admiration of those traits.

After stating all that, let's move on towards the Mane 6.

Twilight, containing the smarts, bravery, loyalty, dedication, cunning (As with how she was portrayed in later seasons, needed for experienced diplomats and politicians), and even ambitions with the doctrine of Friendship, would probably not join Gryffindor. She, like most consensus on the internet, would join Ravenclaw, since she KNOWS that despite separated by houses, she is still friends with the rest. She also has repressed creativity, which sometimes show her unorthodox method of solving problem after the main method fail (Lesson Zero, Hooffields and Mccolts, That episode with Starlight and Trixie for the first time, The Movie, and many other more episodes that I couldn't come up in my mind). One thing that matters is that she VALUES knowledge and learning above all, especially with interactions to her friends and solving friendship problems. She is also still an introvert, which is the defining trait of Ravenclaw and Slytherin, when contrasted with extroverted Gryffindor and Hufflepuff. She is also quite dedicated and hardworking in her own fields, like magic and science.

OVERALL: 70% Ravenclaw, 15% Slytherin, 10% Hufflepuff, 5% Gryffindor

Applejack, despite being brave and courageous, VALUES being honest and a hardworking pony, plus family and all that. Suited for Hufflepuff.

OVERALL: 80% Hufflepuff, 20% Gryffindor

Rainbow Dash, despite being loyal, VALUES bravery and attention, a Gryffindor at heart, even though she has grand ambitions.

OVERALL: 50% Gryffindor, 30% Hufflepuff, 20% Slytherin

Fluttershy, despite having cunning and a little underhanded streaks due to repressed emotions, VALUES kindness, animals, earth, and anything nature. The other 3 is not suited for her desires, so Hufflepuff it is.

OVERALL: 45% Hufflepuff, 25% Slytherin, 15% Gryffindor, and 15% Ravenclaw

Rarity, although has Ravenclaw creativity and extroverted charisma, VALUES high society, refined culture, and big ambitions, be that she is unorthodox for being generous. Ah well, more points for her thinking out of the box.

OVERALL: 50% Slytherin, 30% Ravenclaw, 20% Gryffindor

Pinkie Pie is hard. Her actual wishes and desires are hard to pinpoint, besides making everyone happy. Two things for certain, she dislikes stuck-up readings and complicated boring knowledge, and despises miserable backstabbing attitudes like in that Movie (Even scolded Twilight for that). Although, her attitudes might be Gryffindor material. She does seem to be hardworking in later episodes, so that gives her Hufflepuff points too.

OVERALL: 55% Gryffindor, 45% Hufflepuff

Do notice that all 6 have Gryffindor points, so there's that.

Please let me know your comments and if I missed something.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 48