The Writers' Group 9,300 members · 56,491 stories
Comments ( 16 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 16
SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

So, new episode time again. Somepony already posted yet another preview clip thread, which, as usual, I haven't watched. Why does every episode need a preview of it a few days before it airs, anyways?

I have absolutely no idea what to make of the title this time around. I kept thinking that it was the name of an old fanfic or close to it, but I can't place it. Then all the P's was making me think of "Picture Perfect Pony". (And now everypony's wondering what I'm referring to...) It would be neat for Photo Finish to suddenly appear in an episode.

This one's written by foxes! I mean, it's written by Michael P. Fox & Wil Fox. They wrote "Gift of the Maud Pie" and "Applejacks 'Day' Off", though the stories were by other writers on both. That could still be the case, 'cause a lot of times we don't actually know who the story was by till the episode airs.

I'm not even gonna try to guess what this is about. I still have "Picture Perfect Pony" stuck in my head, so I'm not sure I'd be able to come up with a good guess, even.

Oh, I'm probably gonna post a special discussion thread tuesday night for all the spoily english episodes, if they do that whole thing of playing the whole of the rest of the season next week there like I was hearing. I really want to keep spoilers about the season finale to a minimum until it airs, and I just know I'll be dealing with threads posting everything that happens in it before I ever see it...

This is the discussion thread for this episode, so everypony can start talking about it here, and I'm sure they know at least a little more about it then I do!

--Sweetie Belle

5527206 I have mixed opinions on this. On the one hand, The Gift of the Maud Pie was a hilarious and heartwarming episode. On the other, I felt that Applejack's 'Day' Off fell a little flat. I know some people liked it, but I didn't have much to enjoy it overall. So I'll go in with no expectations but hope for the best.

and I just know I'll be dealing with threads posting everything that happens in it before I ever see it...

You could nip that in the bud by watching it early, you know. Getting in a viewing before spoilers is why I watch leaked episodes early.

gamexpert1990
Group Admin

The title "Pony Point of View" makes me think of the fanfiction series I read that actually got me started in reading fanfiction:

Alex Warlorn's Pony POV Series

I really should get back to catching up with reading it...

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

That's kinda about how I feel on it too.

I could, but then everything's over sooner. Trouble is that I kinda have to look at the spoiler threads as an admin...

Thanks! That's exactly the series I was thinking of. I just couldn't remember the name.

--Sweetie Belle

"Picture Perfect Pony". (And now everypony's wondering what I'm referring to...)

Have people really forgotten about this one? It's not on the JanAnimations channel anymore, but you can still find it pretty easily.

The episode was kinda weak, but not bad. Just meh. I did like Spike yelling at them to say what happened after it sank, and the version of Rarity in AJ's story.

Pinkie screamed at the top of her lungs, “I brought a stick! Let's party! Fun, fun! Cupcakes! I'm so annoying!”

Rarity frowned, “Oh, darling! Please be a darling and be quiet, darling! Let's get going darlings!”

Applejack smirked, nodding,”Perfect first scene to our adventure fic! Now all I need is —” she began to scribble down her idea.

Rainbow crashed onto the ship, “I'm so cool! Awesomeness! Baka! I'm so cool and fast!!”

Fluttershy cried, “Eeeeeeep!” She turned to Rainbow. “I love you in secret, Dashie!”

Dash grinned, “Me, too, babe!” And they totally started making out! RADICAL!

Twilight teleported on the ship, and began shooting the magics out of her horn, “FRIENDSHIP! BOOKS!”

PARTY!” Pinkie took out her party canon, cause it's Pinkie and started shooting confetti everywhere! All the ponies ran around the ship in chaos, an annoyed Applejack sighing. Applejack was best pony, and best pony was only the smartest and most sensible pony around!

But then a random human popped out of the ocean, he landed on the ship. He looked super edgy and hot! “Marry me, Applejack!”

Applejack grinned, jumping into his handsome arms! “We'll be going!”
And they jumped off the ship and had the most awesome underwater makeout ever!

lBOOOOOOOOKS!”

Applejack grinned, “Hah! Those ponies are totally in character! Screw mah’ editor!!”

This episode was actually each one of the starring characters’ discarded adventure fanfiction.

:rainbowlaugh: Is that actually from anything? Because I would totally read a "Applejack writes self-insert fanfic" story.

Just made it up on the spot, actually. :pinkiehappy:

Shame, I really got a laugh out of that.

The memes were strong with this one...

Ah, but the cucumber sandwiches! That's where I had them...

A truncated version of my review

(SPOILERS!)
Season 6 feels experimental. Consistency has been lost in favor of borrowing storytelling techniques from other genres and general parodying. This could be great, especially for helping a show with 100+ episodes remain fresh. But in FiM's case, the quality is all over the map. For every success like Saddle Row and Rec, there is a 28 Pranks Later.

P. P. O. V. is no hit, but it does things well enough. This time the show uses the Rashomon method of storytelling. Applejack, Pinkie, and Rarity return from a boat trip, enraged with each other. Twilight and Spike ask them what happened, but each friend gives a different account. All end with the boat getting capsized.

Rarity accuses Applejack of being a jerk who threw their food overboard and purposely sailed the boat into a storm. Pinkie says Rarity is at fault, having been persnickety and high-minded the whole trip, and taking over the helm. Logic would say Applejack would accuse Pinkie of the accident, but the show throws a twist and has her accuse both her friends.

Each story is exaggerated and filled with nods to seafaring movies. It is nice seeing a new setting. I don't remember any instances of the characters being on boats before this, but I may have forgotten something.

While the ire Pinkie, Rarity, and Applejack hold toward each other is heated, it is never too mean. This is no Carts Before the Ponies, where it feels like the point is to prove the characters are awful. P. P. O. V. gives reasons for their anger.

Each wanted to bring parts of their personalities on the trip in order to help make it more fun for their friends. Applejack brought a treasure map, Rarity brought refinement, and Pinkie brought games. They misinterpreted each other's intentions, and that is what led to their feud.

As nice as this episode's strengths are, it is not perfect. The revelation that the boat was capsized by a giant sea serpent called a Tri-Horned Bunyip, that the same serpent apologizes to the friends, and that Twilight figured this out because she knew that Tri-Horned Bunyips love cucumbers (which were on sandwiches thrown overboard), is out of nowhere. But then again, the whole episode is silly, so I don't mind too much. That Applejack did not realize the games Pinkie brought were for all of them to play, though, is dumb.

Sorry this review is short. I have to get to watching General Conference. Thank you for reading, and God bless!

Well, it was decent, even though I literally figured out the plot within two minutes. This wasn't an especially memorable episode, but at least it was entertaining.

In today's episode, Pony Point of View,

Did anyone notice?

Specifically the flag...

IT' s the flag of the Canadian Province of British Colombia! Where DHX is based!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 16