Pony Warfare 2,307 members · 1,538 stories
Comments ( 65 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 65
You Shall Not Pass
Group Admin

Greetings, fellow warmongers!

What your preferences are regarding personal weaponry? Let's see what kind of tastes this group has!

And don't worry, you don't have to pick only one, or something that a pony could conceivably use with hooves.

Have at thee!

I haven't had the chance to handle it myself but I'm fond ( conceptually) of rifles like the sig716 SBR or the AAC Honey Badger.
I like that they seem to be good compromises on size and weight without loss of power.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

That's hard. I love weapons in general. I do linger over to much of the stuff WWI and beyond, with heavier emphasis during WWII and later.

You Shall Not Pass
Group Admin

I think the AAC Honey Badger deserves special mention just on account of its name. Honey Badger does what it wants.

There are many firearms I'd consider favorites from a theoretical standpoint, but of the weapons I am personally familiar with, I am fond of the following:
– M1 Garand: A classic. 'Nuff said.
– M1 Carbine: Very handy and fun gun to shoot, especially with 30 round magazines.
– Smith & Wesson Model 19: Fantastic accuracy and flexible ammo options (.38 Spl and .357 Mag).
– Ruger MK II: What's so special about a .22 pistol? The gun itself is reliable and accurate, but most importantly of all the ammo is really cheap, making it a plinking gun par excellence.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

I personally prefer the M14 over the M1 Garand. It's got a 20 round box over the 8 clip, doesn't make the ping sound at the automatic ejection (which is of course, only with the M1), and is still basically the same rifle.

I believe I'd also have to give a special mention to the .357 SIG cartridge. It's just an interesting concept. (I'd love to see a M1911 chambered in that)

I'd also like to note that nearly any revolver chambered in .357 Mag is automatically chambered in .38 Sp.

First weapon of choice, Great Sword:

Second weapon of choice, Magic:

So sue me if the last one isn't a tangable weapon, but combining both physical power and swords skill, with the overwhelming power of the mytical arts. Bring it on! :rainbowdetermined2:

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

If we're delving in those types, I'd say a halberd. Those things were cool.

You Shall Not Pass
Group Admin

I agree that the M14 is better than the M1 from an objective standpoint, but I didn't include it in my short list as I've never fired one before, plus I like the M1's historical significance.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

True that. I think it was Patton or Eisenhower (I don't remember which) that said that "the M1 was one of the three things that helped win WWII".

You Shall Not Pass
Group Admin

Ah, the Zweihänder... those things are beasts – too big, in fact, to carry sheathed, so the double-paid soldiers who used them just carried them on their shoulders on the march. And, unlike what popular culture might want you to believe, they were surprisingly lightweight and well-balanced. I like how you could choke up your grip on the unsharpened part of the blade and thrust it like a spear. Zweihänders are nuts.

Most emphatically, YES.

I am disappointed by the distinct lack of love for polearms in... basically all media. As cool as I find the Zweihänder, I'd rather take a halberd. It's a spear, axe, war pick, hook, quarterstaff, tent pole, and knightly can opener, all in one! Poleaxes, bec de corbins, and lucerne hammers are also cool and effective.

Another polearm I'm fond of is the Goedendag (Flemish for "Good day!"), an abominable spiked club/spear thing those plucky peasants gleefully used to unhorse and bludgeon French knights to death with. Fun times!

It was actually Patton who called the M1 the "greatest battle implement ever devised."

Pleaseworkforonce
Group Admin

my favorite to use would be a compound bow with 40 pound draw made out of carbon fiber
with carbon fiber arrows to match (and i those are my fav i dont own either of those i just have the non carbon equivalents)

I like the Webley .455 calibre MK. IV. I've always had a soft spot for revolvers, and this one is a classic. It's an excellent british-made firearm, although the heavy recoil of the .455 round means that you've got to be a fairly good shot to hit the target.

As for a mele weapon, I'll take the Falchion. It combines the weight and power of an axe with the versatility of a sword, it's light enough to weild one-handed, and the size and shape of the handle means that you can use both hands if you want. And although it might not look like it, it can also be used as a fairly effective stabbing weapon.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

I look at your post right now, and decide it would be awesome to wield both at the same time.

Even though that Webley would probably be a bitch to shoot single handed.

Personally any sniper rifle will do, particularly the Springfield. But ill never turn down a good pistol or rocket launcher(party cannon)394993>>394752

394020 You like .22 caliber pistols? I always thought that they didn't have enough stopping power to be particulary useful. I preffer a .45 or a .44 caliber, because even if you just clip your target, you're going to knock him on his back regardless.

394993 Yes, the Webley does require two hands on the gun to be accurate enough. Then again, with a large caliber pistol, you don't need to be insanley accurate, as, like I said in the above comment, even if you just clip your target, you're going to knock him on his back regardless. Unless it's a Rhino or something.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

I think it's because .22 s are more for target shooting, which, of course means rounds are cheaper. He did say it was for plinking.

395791 Then again, I've heard of .22 caliber pistols being used quite effectivley in a combat situation. If you've had alot of practice with a .22, you can pretty much put a bullet right through someone's eye: something you can't do with larger caliber firearms because of the heavier recoil.

I really like this thread, let's start with revolvers:

Rhino
Armi Chiappa (Italy)

ОЦ-38
КБП (Russia)

You Shall Not Pass
Group Admin

I like .22 Long Rifle because it is cheap, plentiful, and fun to shoot casually. Simple economics makes the Ruger MK II a favorite of mine, since I shoot it more often than any other gun.

I see you're a Webley fan. Never fired one myself, though, but I do have experience with a modern Colt SAA in .45 Long Colt. The revolver's weight alone would make it a handy club, and the recoil is hilariously meaty, to which my face can attest (which is why I don't consider this gun one of my favorites). It is however very accurate, as it has an excellent trigger and the round is already downrange by the time the recoil starts messing around.

Guardian
Group Admin

Any kind of assault rifle. :rainbowdetermined2: I could also work with an M1911 .45.

TheCrazyMan
Group Admin

Personal favorite weapons are the M14A1 Battle Rifle, simply because you can hit a target at 800 meters with no optics, and the M1911, because in my opinion, it's better looking than a revolver.

I got a list here, so you might want to sit down for this:
1. MG42
2. BAR
3. G36c
4. AS50
5. Kar98k
6. Lee Endfield Mk. 4
7. M1 Garand
8. Gewher 43
9. .44 Magnum
I'll just leave this here and be on my way.:moustache:

.500 S&W Magnum

Jesus. Fuck.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

And I'll call your .500 S&W with a .410/.45 Judge.

You Shall Not Pass
Group Admin

Nah, the S&W .500 is much more intimidating. Bigger cartridge, bigger gun – it even has an honest-to-God muzzle brake! Practical? No. But it certainly scares the hell out of me!

The .410 shotgun shell, on the other hand, is an underpowered varmint round. You'd be better off with a normal .45 LC rather than this gimmicky gun.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Yeah... I know. But 'handheld shotgun' is just hilarious in concept.

You Shall Not Pass
Group Admin

In that case, you'd want a sawed-off 12 gauge shotgun and not a .410. :derpytongue2:

But for utter insanity, it doesn't get much better than a sawed-off MOSIN-NAGANT! Here is the glory that is the obrez:

Yes, it's a bolt-action, 7.62x54mmR pistol.:pinkiegasp: Ура! Ура! УРА!

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Holy crap. I need to show that to my friend!:rainbowlaugh:

In terms of edged weapons, I really like Artillery swords dating back to the civil war. They have a nice graceful curve but are straight enough to look like a gladus. The handle also has a nice eagle image on it.

For guns, I like submachine guns dating back to WWII. They are simple yet effective. The Mp-40 is great due to its size and shape. The Germans would not have had such unprecedented successes without it. It also just looks bad-ass.

You Shall Not Pass
Group Admin

Hmm, the narrower waist on that sword makes it look more like a Greek xiphos to me.

I think German successes (at least initially) should be attributed to good generalship, innovative use of armor and tactical air support, and the element of surprise rather than any great superiority in infantry small arms. After all, the Soviets had THIS!

The PPSh-41. A supremely cheap, durable, and reliable street sweeper with 900 rds/min and 71 round drum or 35 round box. It was so effective that it was not unusual to see German soldiers using captured ones, or entire Soviet infantry regiments armed with nothing else!

409126 You are forgetting that many soviets were using the captured mp-40's. Not to mention being used by the Yugoslav partisans and the U.S. Coast Guard.

Two Soviet freedom fighters, one using the mp-40 one using the PPSh-41

Two female Partisans using the mp-40.

You are correct about the German successes early on in the war. The good small arms weaponry was secondary.

About the sword, they were known as a Gladius Model 1831. You are right about the comparison in terms of looks, however, the model is officially classified as a gladius. Swords of this type were used during the Napoleonic wars and the American Civil War.

You Shall Not Pass
Group Admin

Being a partisan behind German lines, by definition, means you are almost invariably going to be using captured German weapons. And while you could find Soviet soldiers using MP40s they picked up themselves, the Red Army never officially re-issued captured ones to troops. The Germans, on the other hand, did with the PPSh-41, converting some from 7.62x25mm Tokarev to 9mm Parabellum and issuing others in 7.63×25mm Mauser.

Also, your first picture is not of a Soviet soldier using an MP40. The man is actually in the Russian Liberation Army, a collaborationist force of anti-Communist volunteers fighting alongside the Germans. His cap is very German, plus the original picture caption (specifically: "Freiwillige anderer Nationalitäten in der Wehrmacht/Aus der Sowjetunion/Russen/Wlassow-Armee") identifies him as serving in a Hilfswilliger unit. Link: [url=http://www.bild.bundesarchiv.de/archives/barchpic/search/_1346017069/?search[form][SIGNATUR]=Bild+101I-198-1394-06A] (and if that doesn't work, the pic ID is Bild 101I-198-1394-06A).

409707 You make some very valid and true points. I have never gone in depth researching the PPSh-41. You are correct about the hat. It looks very German and I looked back at the source and it said it was a German, so I deleted the picture. Both guns were reliable powerful weapons of a conflict that changed the course of history.

A quick note on the Partisans. The Soviets exported the PPsh 41 to Tito's army as well, but they mostly used captured equipment.

Falchion
sniper rifle
shotgun
dual daggers preferably a 6 inch blade
and magic (elemental so fire lightning ice etc.)

I enjoy how little arguing is going on in this thread! seems to be a handful of bronies that understand weapons are as unique as each hand wielding it. This is a weighted topic... I can easily pic weapons from any given century or theater that I'm fond of, heh heh heh.

I guess I'll just pic the steel at the very top of my brain-list.
Melee implements(Historic)- 15th century french basket-hilt broadsword, Napoleonic Cavalry Sabre, either combined with a light warhammer in the offhand.

Melee implements (practical modern)- my Gurkah Army issue Kukri

FIrearms (Historic)- Pennsylvania Rifle, Sharps 50/170, a slew of 1851 Colt Navy's, M1 Garand (classic),MG42, 1928 Thompson Submachinegun and perhaps a true USMC 1903A1 with the 8X Unertl optic.

Firearms (Modern:Personal) My BCM custom "Recce" AR-15 carbine and my custom Remington m40a5 in 7.62x51 ((Not bragging, btw... though i love them both. I'm just stating that a weapon hand-tuned and perfectly built to your needs based on your own experience has no equal in performance or satisfaction and I encourage everyone to build their own babies!)) My current project build of a modernized M1 Garand built on a Fulton Armory rifle, and of course, my beloved bone-stock Springfield 1911-a1.

Firearms (Modern:Factory)- The fun-button toys of course: Mk-48 and a good ol' M-2 QCB. I sampled a new SCAR-17 7.62mm a few weekends ago and was very impressed. If I ever own a sniper weapon system that isn't custom built, it will be a Cheytac M200 in .408... who can argue with a .97 BC and flat ballistics out to 600m?! As for secondaries, I gotta profess my love for the Sig-220-229 family and of course a good ol' trusty S&W 686.

Sorry for my ramblings, I left a lot out, hehe... Rarity is to Fashion as I am to Weapons. :raritywink:
Happy Shooting/Sparing, Bronies!:pinkiehappy:

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Sharps. Interesting pick for a historical rifle. If I'm remembering right, that's a US Civil War era weapon, right?

(Too lazy to actually look stuff up.)

You are correct, Sir! They were one of the first successful cartage rifles of the era and issued with great results to sharpshooters in the regiments. Its damn near impossible to find a true .50 cal one anymore as collectors hang on to those... but I have one chambered in 45/70 and it is nothing less than a work of art...

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Wow. That's really cool.

They were the lever-action breech loading rifles, right?

Indeed, a falling-block breech loader. Very solid rifle.:twilightsmile:

Congratulations. you have succeeded in finding the exact definition of the word "overkill." The recoil on that thing has to suck, though (just a guess, never fired guns much in my life)

394025thats a flamberge. a type of greatsword developer by the forlorn hope, mercenary class of the early teutonic age, but yes they are excellent swords

I like the M16 quite a lot. I do like DMRs but I find over 500 m of range already pretty good enough.

490393 The M16 is a pretty versatile weapon. There's literaly hundreds of attatchments and custom configurations for the thing.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Gotta love halberds man.

It time for a soldier to put his two cents in.
Standard weapons,
ACR with a 6.5 mm barrel hybrid sights with a bayonet
1911 Colt 45 with extended magazine
AA-12 with FRAG-12 rounds
Fataceuos weapons
Modernize M-1 Grandand with hybrid sight
XM-25
Colt 45

"Pennsylvania Rifle?" you have no idea how long Ive waited to see those words in a thread like this. For historical significance, the Pennsylvania Rifle proved the rifling concept, marked the beginning of the end of the fire-by-line tactics employed during the Revolutionary war, and were the most important piece of gear used by white explorers headed into the Great Plains. I could continue to gush about this firearm for reams, but I'll spare you all.

If you're looking for an entertaining area of study that would include this firearm, check out Lewis Wetzel. Being an Indian killer, he's not very PC today, but learning about the man's life is a wonderful study of the tactics of that region and era. That, and anyone named "Deathwind" by their enemies scores points in my book.

As for entertainment value, it's really hard to get me excited just based on the kinds of weapons used, and more often than not I end up disappointed anyway. I'm STILL waiting for any movie to do a bronze age combat sequence that doesn't offend me. (300: "Hey ugly dude, you can't go with us because you can't fight in a Phalanx! Go cry about it while we spend the rest of the movie stabbing people with historically inaccurate swords.:derpyderp1:")

On that note, I would like to echo the above comments in regards to polearms. With a few notable exceptions, swords were meant as sidearms; you carried them when you weren't looking for a fight, or as a backup weapon. When you were out looking for a fight, especially with an army, you carried a long pole with sharp metal on one end. This remained true until the dominance of small arms, and even today the US Marines have bayonet lugs on their rifles. Why? 'Cause they work.

I used to own a nice, 4" Rossi 971 in .357 Magnum that I was quite fond of. The trigger action on it was quite smooth (comparable to some of the better S&W revolvers out there, understandable, considering it was pretty much a clone of the L-frame S&W revolver) and it was quite accurate.

Another gun I have owned is the Colt Delta Gold Cup. This was the adjustable sight model based on the standard Gold Cup, but chambered for the 10mm round like the Delta Elite. The only issue I had was the roll pin holding the rear sight in place on the slide came loose, and the sight bounced off my forehead when it left the gun! a new pin, and a little dab of Elmer's Glue fixed that from happening again lol

I absolutely love my last project. I do not regret it one bit!

Also, I think I did a pretty good job with this one too.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 65