Warhammer 40k 1,421 members · 290 stories
Comments ( 39 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 39

Assume, that somehow (warp) a spacecratf with 100 Ultra Marines on board ended up in our universe and crushed right in the middle of US. All the marines (and some tech priests) survived and after short observing of our planet, they desided that this place full of heresy (well…they kinda right this time) and desided to burn everything to the ground. The US govement wants to fix this sudden problem but do not what to loose a chance to get their hands on an advance technologies, which means no nukes or air strikes, man power only.

How many Real Marines are required to take down 100 Ultra Marines?

P.S. there are 2,952,959 people in miltary serves of the US at the moment.

All of them, every fucking one.

Answer: none.

We are on holy terra, maybe a few years too early for anything interesting happening, but it is terra none the less, something that the marines would know, so they would not attack.

Secondly are there none warp vessels that are so small, you need some serious power to run a gellar field, so you need the kilometre long ships for that alone.

And thirdly, if space marines could reach us trough the warp would demons and their like do it as well, so as they killed the first human would demons come since they would be fed with new kinds of hatred and poverty and what not that they feed from. I would fear the demons more than the giant mutants in nucular suits. Demons does not run out of ammo.

3389038 Man that would be a tale of interest if done right. :pinkiehappy:

Space Marines or some other members of the Imperium going back in time on Holy Terra. Perhaps to stop something like the Horus Herresy or find the emperor and look upon him before he sat upon the throne. :pinkiegasp:

The US govement wants to fix this sudden problem but do not what to loose a chance to get their hands on an advance technologies, which means no nukes or air strikes, man power only.

No. Just no. The US government isn't stupid enough to get overrun because they want new technology. You can't take airstrikes out because that's too unrealistic in the US War Doctrine.

they desided that this place full of heresy (well…they kinda right this time) and desided to burn everything to the ground.

Yet again, just like 3389038 said. This is Holy Terra. The Marines wouldn't dare harm a quark of dust on the ground of this planet. They wouldn't burn everything down just because of misanthropists. They can't touch this planet. No blood can be shed on the ground of Terra, and no life can be taken on the ground of Terra, as far as I can tell.

I few thins to make clear:

1. I dont think that the UM will recognize Eath as Holy Terra. A very few people in 40k know how Terra looked like before the Dark Age of Technologies. In the Horus Heresy novel marines finded an Earth's full map on some planet and they didnt know that it was Terras from before until someone told them.
The will probably mistake Earth for a lost colony.

2. I didnt say how big the ship was. All I said that it had 100 marines and other crue members along with tech priests.

3. For my knowlege, warp is a weird place and some even suggestes that a time travel possible there. But…it is beyon' the subject. We talkin' about the marinse, not how they got here.

No. Just no. The US government isn't stupid enough to get overrun because they want new technology. You can't take airstrikes out because that's too unrealistic in the US War Doctrine.

Maybe…But its beyng the point. If we talk about 'realism', then we can just say '40k isnt real and so Ultra Marines can never end up here' and close the case.
Lets then say…US goverment controled by chaos agents and they want UM out of the planet.

Yet again, just like >> Doomande said. This is Holy Terra. The Marines wouldn't dare harm a quark of dust on the ground of this planet. They wouldn't burn everything down just because of misanthropists. They can't touch this planet. No blood can be shed on the ground of Terra, and no life can be taken on the ground of Terra, as far as I can tell.

As I said:
I dont think that the UM will recognize Eath as Holy Terra. A very few people in 40k know how Terra looked like before the Dark Age of Technologies. In the Horus Heresy novel marines finded an Earth's full map on some planet and they didnt know that it was Terras from before until someone told them.
They will probably mistake Earth for a lost colony.

Maybe…But its beyng the point. If we talk about 'realism', then we can just say '40k isnt real and so Ultra Marines can never end up here' and close the case.

No, no you can't. You can bring Marines here, but you can't just hand wave a policy away.

Lets then say…US goverment controled by chaos agents and they want UM out of the planet.

Then they would just drop nukes on the UMs. They wouldn't care about the tech.

I dont think so the UM will recognize Eath as Holy Terra. A very few people on 40k know how Terra looked like before the Dark Age of Technologies. In the Horus Heresy novel marines finded a Earth's full map on some planet and they didnt know that it was Terras from before until someone told them.

They will probably mistake Earth for a lost colony.

And then realize something is utterly wrong with the level of tech we have and how well we control it.

3389109 Again, its not about realism, its about MArines VS MArines.
If you want, you can come up with your idea on why US want to send troops instead of nukes.

If you want, you can come up with your idea on why US want to send troops instead of nukes.

Nukes are a last resort. They wouldn't send nukes unless it's a last ditch effort to stop an invasion. Especially if it's American soil.

I'm talking about air strikes.

3389109 Accually…Im havin idea.
Techno Priests hacked into miltary system and disabled all warheads, and satellites, and compiters.
How does it sound?

Contrary to popular belief, the US system is a lot more secure then it's usually shown as. Also, don't tech-priests use religious ceremonies to fix broken tech?

3389148 Not…really… As you know preists are under the gaze of Inqistion. They hide some/most of their knowlege and technologies (a specially if they from the DArk Age). They even use some sort of simple/animal like AIs.

Quotin' megasilly:

In relation too the Tech-priests and "Machine Spirits". Machine spirits are either advanced computers BUT nowhere near as complicated as AI's, or AI's of an animal nature (as mentioned in Dan Abbnet's Titanicus) and again, nowhere near the complexity as to what we perceive as AI Technology.

The definition of "thinking Machine" is very much the same definition used in Frank Herbert's DUNE Universe. That is (in regards to the moratorium on thinking machines):

"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind." Herbert, Frank (1965). "Terminology of the Imperium: JIHAD, BUTLERIAN". Dune.

This stance by the citizens in the DUNE universe is basically the exact same stance that imperium has on Thinking machines.

Therefore, any artificial "thing" that can mimic the human mind and behavior, is classified as a thinking machine and is forbidden and must be destroyed post haste.

However, the Adaptus Mechanicus (as you are most certainly aware) are so backwards, that they could be dabbling in AI tech and not know it (their search for STC Technology for example, has uncovered forbidden tech before in official fluff).

I belive, even if they use some scraps from the Dark Age…it is still technologies from a future. Its hard to belive that some who travel between stars cant hack comp of someone who barelly reached the moon.

who barelly reached the moon.

Barely reached the moon?:unsuresweetie:

I find it completely possible, given how backwards the Imperium is.

You know... if you don´t want to hear our answers and take them to your heart is there really no need to ask the question to begin with.:ajbemused:

Beside that 1) It is nothing about looks, but our placement in the universe. To determine how far back in time they are will they look at the stars and run that data trough their connitators, them coming up with "Hey guys, we are totally on terra!"

2) okay then, so either is it A a space hulk since there are so few marines left, B a really freakishly small platoon or an amazingly big group of Deathwatch marines, either or will there be tens of thousands of workers on the ship beside them, or C they have drifted in the warp for so long that their numbers have dwindled to that, meaning that their psyche would be ruined by now. Or D, something else that are fucked up since there are no real reason for that few people being moved around. No matter what would you end up with a fucked group of marines, not because of US marines, but because of themselves and their situation that brought them here.

3) Time travel is a canon thing, Rouge Trader even having a mechanic for it and information about the Ordo Cronos (the coolest Ordos ever!). So there are nothing wrong with the time travel element. The thing that I was going at was that if they could get trough the warp are other things also going to do it, so after the marines have killed most of the earths population (if they choose to do that, because we have no weapons that are going to stop them as such, unless we stop ourselves as well) would what there came next be the real concern.

Im afraid you payin' attentions to the wrong matter.
It is NOT about how marines would react/behave in this situation.
The objective is 'how much of the US marines we need to take down 100 of Ultra Marines'.
Did you see people arguing much if Goku and Superman would have a reason to fight to the death?
(Through, it a big question never the less…seriously, why would they fight?)
No.
You see people were talkin how much of a chance both of them would have agains each other.

What you sain' probably is true… But you are not answering the currently given question.

3388968 *looks at the title of this thread "Real Marines VS Space Marines... continues reading.*

Well, it wouldn't make any sense for The Ultra Marines to attack Holy Terra/Earth, but.... since it's only the US then it's perfectly fine! CUZ FUCK IT RIGHT!?

The US govement wants to fix this sudden problem but do not what to loose a chance to get their hands on an advance technologies, which means no nukes or air strikes, man power only.

Man power only? Got it.

(Taking info from the novels, because the games don't represent their awesomeness quite accurately)

The US Marines would get their asses kicked, because on the ground a single Space Marine from what I remember has the ability to defend an entire planet on his own*from enemies such as Heretics and Traitors who are Human*, but of course the PDF and Imperial Guard are there to help at the Defence, sooo, yeah.... but not this time.

Well, since Space Marines are generally OP as fuck, because they can survive just about anything from Human weaponry *minus nukes*, but xenos weapons are a diferent story... But we're talking about US Marines shooting at Space Marines. The Space Marines are genetically engineered super soldiers clad in Power Armour, and are generally regarded as the toughest warriors to ever serve the Emperor, has skin that can act as flak armour, bones that can repel anything short of a boltgun round(Think of a grenade shot out of a launcher of sorts), can breathe under water WITHOUT their helmets on because they have a third lung. They also can breathe all but the most highly potent of toxic fumes with little to no damage to their respiratory system, have two hearts, and lives for hundreds of years (may be functionally immortal, they usually die in battle after a few centuries, so nobody can be sure). And a few dozen more different kind of augmentations that virtually make them non-human by the time they're done with the surgeries, and once it's complete nothing short of a small nuke, lasers designed to suck away your soul, plasma that winks you out of existence can kill these bastards.

Now, their weapons are specifically designed to one shot tanks never mind actually using them on people, but is still effective when cutting down hundreds of men in droves, and can gun down aircraft. They have all sorts of weapons that can decimate any Imperial Guard Regiment(Think US Marines in space, but 10x better in every way) and still come home in time for lunch. Now, remember those augmentations? Now the armour not only protects the Marine from basically anything as the material used to construct them are near impossible to damage, well, when the Space Marines wear their signature armour their strength, speed, reflexes and all that sci-fi bullshit is 20 times more badass... Basically Space Marines were designed to be an army on their own.

Then you have the average US Marine... Sure they got numbers, BUT it won't really matter since Space Marines spend decades/centuries fighting hordes of enemies that are more of a threat than the US Marines.

At an Offensive against modern day USA 100 Ultra Marines can easily curb stomp the US Marines, and with the support of an entire Imperial Ship they don't stand a chance. Although the ship has crashed it can still be useful for the SPESS MAHREENS!

Also, Space Marines were meant to fight threats greater than any Human threat, so anything the US Marines can do they can do better.

Sure they were used during the Great Crusade, but because it made it so much easier than just using the Imperial Guard alone.

That is because the original question is so boring, because the answer would be that the space marines would win no matter what. There is a rather common saying in 40K, at least one that I hear rather often, that one single marine, just one of the lower grunts, have the same strength as one thousand man, and that is not civilians that we are talking about, but men from the imperial guard.

The question should not be who there would win or how big the losses would be, but rather how long it would take the space marines to slaughter the whole world.

Nah, I think (that if for some strange reason the Space Marines attack possibly the purest example of human [not touched by the warp, at all]) then 100 would lose.

Once the US military get over the shock and get into gear, I can see them taking out the marines. I think we're underestimating the power of moden day anti-tank weapons, as well as the usefulness of snipers.

The joints of power armour and the eye lenses are weakpoints (If my recalling of infomation is correct) and I doubt that the missile launchers used by the Imperial Meatshields are more powerful than modern weapons of the same class. And yes, I do recall a missile being capable of taking out power-armour.

I do love how OP has said 'No nukes or airstrikes', when the Space Marines get everything. Who knows, maybe they had a couple of vortex grenades on that ship?

It's a very slanted question, and I question it's purpose.

The Space Marines are just tabletop figures.

They get stomped (literally).

I can see that there is someone that haven´t played down of war or seen the space marine movie.

Space marines are not just over priced tin/plastic/failcast figures, but characters. I do know that my replies have been a bit tongue in cheek, but if you want to make a smart sounding reply do you need to give one that actually does work.

3390488 They can probably live for a millennia or more. Lord Commander Dante is over a thousand years and he's still a sexy beast! Just look at him

3391298 Space Marines may be functionally immortal, but usually die in battle after a few centuries so we can't be entirely sure. :trixieshiftright: But evidence points that 'yes' they can live forever, but only if they don't get killed by Eldar Bombs that destroys entire solar systems, Necrons that sucks away your souls with their death lasers, deamons possession, or those tyranids that eat GALAXIES! :pinkiecrazy:

Yet again, just like >> Doomande said. This is Holy Terra. The Marines wouldn't dare harm a quark of dust on the ground of this planet. They wouldn't burn everything down just because of misanthropists. They can't touch this planet. No blood can be shed on the ground of Terra, and no life can be taken on the ground of Terra, as far as I can tell.

Please explain the events of the Space Wolves books, then. When Ragnar Blackmane heads to Terra, this is what he thinks, until he realizes that assassinations and borderline civil war are considered so normal that they're shrug worthy on Terra.

Edit: and a lot of this is being done by Space Marines, too.

3390970 If you think that, how about you 1v1 right now like you said you would.

Which is why I said "as far as I can tell". I don't know alot about the crunch or the fluff, just the basics.

3391316 Yeah. Immortality does not equal invincibility.

3391369 Of course not i.e. The Emperor of Mankind.

Dante is also special, him being from the chapter of space vampires. Those damn blood angels

3391403 Ah yes, the Blood Angels. The chapter of pretty boy vampires who managed to work with the Necrons.

How about my brother Vulkan, Primarch of the Salamanders? My brother Curze beheaded him, tore his throat out, had him shot at close range by hundreds of bolters and even tossed him out of an airlock naked. He is still alive to this day.

3391707 Papa Nurgle loves you all!!!!!

3391722 Not even the Tyranids would touch that.

3391726 You are all bugs, and Papa Nurgle loves bugs!!!:pinkiehappy:

3391726 Come on, Give Papa Nurgle and Mama Isha a big hug!!!!:heart:

3388968 WE HAVE A DUMB ASS ALERT

3391590 Vulkan is dead killed by John, another Perpetual, using the Shard of Erebus. Vulkan's corpse is the final 'treasure' his chapter is looking for.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 39