Comments ( 29 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 29
Reactception
Group Admin

Story Theme:
We're inundated with Wallflowers, Dazzlings and Midnight Sparkles, how about Villains from Equestria we've not seen the EQG counterpart? Your Queen Chrysalis, Nightmare Moon, Suri Polomare, Pony of Shadows etc. You can justify it however you want, crossing the mirror, always been on earth off screen. Just something a little different you know?

Stories should be first posted/published between tomorrow October 9th 2022 to November 10th 2022 until midnight. Time zone: United States eastern.

The story has to be about a villain not native to the Equestria Girls part of G4 MLP franchise. This means Demon Sunset, Dazzlings, Midnight/Sci Twi, Shadowbolts, Abacus Cinch, Gaia Everfree/Gloriosa Daisy, Vingette Valencia, Juniper Montage, Wallflower Blush and Post Crush etc are not viable options for the other half of the Sunset ship. Odd cases will be up for discussion with the judges.

Any length is appreciated, wanna short 1k thing? Go for it. Got that epic you've finished but never uploaded? Awesome.

We made a folder in this group to put your entries in BEFORE THE DEADLINE!

If this is your first story ever on fimfiction.net and you're having trouble publishing it on this website, please send a link with view password to Reactception. Message me if you have questions about that.

Please include a link to the contest in your story description.

Judges: Reactception and https://www.fimfiction.net/user/501685/Moproblems+Moharmoney

The Prizes

1st Place:

• The story will be on the page description for two weeks, and the winner will get to choose the next Sunset x EG Villain competition (can’t be the same one). If they want to, they can co-judge for that competition. But if they don’t want to co-judge, they can of course compete again.

2nd Place:

• The story will get an honorable mention on the group description.
  • The winner will get a review of one of their stories (their choice) by Reactception.

3rd Place:

• The story submitted will be reviewed by Reactception.

Link to the folder for the competition: https://www.fimfiction.net/group/215660/folder/78591/sunset-x-unseen-villains-2022-submissions

Moproblems Moharmony has chosen to
Co-Judge with me!

Starlight Fan
Group Contributor

Does Starlight qualify as a viable contender?

Bicyclette
Group Contributor

ooh, this is a great idea!

The story has to be about a villain not native to the Equestria Girls part of G4 MLP franchise. This means Demon Sunset, Dazzlings, Midnight/Sci Twi, Shadowbolts, Abacus Cinch, Gaia Everfree/Gloriosa Daisy, Vingette Valencia, Juniper Montage, Wallflower Blush and Post Crush etc. Odd cases will be up for discussion with the judges.

I think you're trying to say that those characters are not valid for the contest

This means [the following are off the table:] Demon Sunset [...]

Reactception
Group Admin

I believe she would count!

Yes. Thanks for pointing out the phrasing I added clarification in the post.

Starlight Fan
Group Contributor

Ah. So she could be written about. I do hope I can use her reformed counterpart.

Would it count if the story has slight references to a relationship between Sunny and an EQG villain (either before or after)? I have some kind of idea that includes a MLP villain shipped with Sunset for the majority of the fic with some added context of that EQG villain.

Reactception
Group Admin

As long as the main ship or focus of the story follows the rules

Hmm. Okay then! I think I have an idea for this contest then~ :twilightsmile:

Hey, uh, it looks like you accidentally named me as a judge?

I am perplexed why, instead of fixing the language of the original rules (I suggested one edit), you instead tacked on an awkwardly-phrased, all-caps, typo'd addendum.

Comment posted by KwirkyJ deleted Oct 9th, 2022
Reactception
Group Admin

My bad I admit I copied one of the competitions formats and edited it. Fixed it 👍

Mockingbirb
Group Admin

- I'm glad to see the rules about who is NOT an eligible partner for the ship have now been clarified.
:twilightsmile:

- If a human counterpart appears in a COMIC, does that disqualify that human counterpart as a partner for the ship? Example: Sunflower appears in comics as a human counterpart antagonist AND as a pony. (https://mlp.fandom.com/wiki/Sunflower) Does it matter whether that comics human acted as an antagonist or not?

Or for a degree of safety could I write my story about a PONY version of the character, just in case a human version had appeared in some comic somewhere as an antagonist and I wasn't aware of that appearance?

- Are you as confused by now as I am?
:rainbowlaugh:

Mockingbirb
Group Admin

Oh, another question!
Do kinds of shipping other than romantic shipping count, such as FRIENDshipping? Friendship is magic, I heard somewhere.
:twilightsmile:

Reactception
Group Admin

Friendshipping is always best shipping so 👍
Honestly I don’t think the comics count so having an antagonist from the pony world human counterpart is fine. The Seen villains is about the show not the comics so I don’t count them as disqualified!

Mockingbirb
Group Admin

I think it might be helpful to edit the contest announcement to ALSO show villains who DO qualify. Maybe something like...

"JUST A FEW examples of the MANY characters who DO qualify as a ship partner for Sunset in this contest...

Mane-iac and her henchponies, the "Boy Bullies" who hassled Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy before Rainbow's first Sonic Rainboom, Wind Rider, Nightmare Moon, Tirek and Grogar, Queen Chrysalis, Razer (also see https://mlp.fandom.com/wiki/My_Little_Pony_Friendship_is_Magic_Wiki:Workshop/)...

And maybe you could give example rulings on a few characters who people might see as borderline, such as

Equestrian Rarity (she was a temporary antagonist or villain of sorts in "Inspiration Manifestion," I guess?)
The Storm King (does that big MLP movie count?)
Lightning Dust (is Lightning Dust a VILLAIN, or just somepony who made some stupid mistakes that put ponies into danger?)

Whilst I can't edit the opening post....

Example Villains include....
Nightmare Moon
Queen Chrysalis
King Sombra
Tirek
Grogar
Discord
Gilda
Garble
Tempest Shadow
Storm King
Daybreaker
Etc.

Villains to exclude -
Trixie
Diamond Dog trio
Demon Sunset
Demon Snips/Snails
The Dazzlings
Midnight Sparkle
The Shadowbolts
Abacus Cinch
Gaia Everfree
Gloriosa Daisy
Post Crush
Vingette Valencia
Wallflower Blush
Juniper Montage
Flim and Flam

On a case by case note, I'd generally say any character clearly introduced as an antagonist. So Rarity? No. She was introduced as heroic protagonist and was villainous for a single episode. Storm King and Lightning Dust, or say Svengallop and Silver Shill were introduced as antagonistic characters.

Obviously there'll be awkward points. I would personally allow Starlight Glimmer as long as its made very clear it's unreformed equalist Starlight, not the later seasons "Princess Twilights Pupil" who we've seen in EQG.

Mockingbirb
Group Admin

if you even want to color code this, you can say [ color=green ]Green text[ /color ] but without the extra spaces inside the square brackets, to make: Green color coded text

That also works for red.

Edited to add: Hey, why are you excluding Prince Blueblood?

Edited AGAIN to add: If we never saw the theoretical human world counterpart of some pony world character, can I make up a theoretical human world counterpart and ship them with Sunset? For example, I don't believe we ever saw a human Gilda, but maybe she exists? Or do I have to transport characters across the interdimensional barrier to ship them?

Regarding the mirror/non mirror question, sure. We've never seen a Gilda or a Lightning Dust so you CAN run with the mirror world one. I just didnt want every entrant to be "This is the mirror counterpart" because that sucks the fun out of the urban fantasy setting and also hobbles amusing character interactions. How else will we get Chrysalis violently demanding a beverage advertised as "Love in a mug" ? Lol

Blueblood was admittedly contentious, but we've seen him on screen at Crystal Prep. In hindsight though, since he's had zero screen time beyond literally just 'being there' I'm willing to take him off the list.

Is it a requirement for it to be a ship? Or is Sunset Shimmer interacting with one of the villains in a primarily platonic one-sided way alright?

I got a story idea bouncing around my head and I see it working more in character with the villain if there is no romantic feelings towards SS, but hey I can will so force that in there if need be…:ajsmug:

ETA: Are mature stories allowed? I’m not talking about smut, but a story with mature subject matter?

Reactception
Group Admin

Mature content rated T. :rainbowderp:

And one sided romance are perfectly fine!

Hehehehe sweet on the one-sided love :trixieshiftright:

But is that a yes for rated M? The story would still work with a T rating I’ll just need to tone some stuff down and perhaps be more vague in certain scenes or cut them out all together.

Reactception
Group Admin

T or less. We like to keep things PG-13 around here

Mockingbirb
Group Admin

If the folder dosn't close precisely at midnight, that might help me with the draft I started a couple hours ago. :rainbowwild:

Mockingbirb
Group Admin

Update: I am NOT finishing the story tonight, sorry. Probably not for days yet. Guess it's just not going to be part of the contest.

But we have four contest entries already, so it's actually a pretty great turnout! Or if we count the 'five stories' count on the folder, I guess that makes four visible stories, and one 'UNSEEN' story, ha ha.
:rainbowlaugh:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 29