Friendship Is Awesomes 294 members · 14,173 stories
Comments ( 20 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 20
Ragnarok17
Group Admin

As a writer, what movies, shows, books, game or anything that inspires you to becomes a writer or who influence your work? Is there a movie or anything that make you go "I want to be a writer"?

For me, it would be MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) and a lot of my OCs were inspired by MCU characters.

What about you guys?

For me, it was JK Rowling, JRR Tolkien, George Lucas and a handful of video games like halo.

When I saw them work, I was greatly inspired by their work and their experience and creativity. That's when I felt like I could be part of it. When Fimfiction came along I decided to write to my heart's content. But before that, I began to write a book about a sci-fi war story that's almost better than star wars. I wrote about the future but had more modern attachments to it. When I watched star wars, the story was good, but the weapons, not so much, so I went to a new direction. New races, new weapons and so on. I always wanted to be a writer.

Been like that for five years and I've been keeping my dream alive ever since.

Ragnarok17
Group Admin

But before that, I began to write a book about a sci-fi war story that's almost better than star wars. I wrote about the future but had more modern attachments to it. When I watched star wars, the story was good, but the weapons, not so much, so I went to a new direction. New races, new weapons and so on. I always wanted to be a writer.

Well, I glad you already got ideas for your own sci-if war story compare to the filmmakers of Star Wars Sequel Trilogy, those guys have no idea what to do with sequel trilogy and they ends up throwing random shit together.

And I hope your dialogues are way better than Poe Dameron saying this infamous line. "Somehow, Palpatine returned."

For me, it was mostly a bunch of anime. Ranging from Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, and Sword Art Online, to Fairy Tail, Angel Beats, Dragon Ball, etc. In regards to things like movies, it was The Jungle Book (the 2016 and 2018 versions), Spirit Stallion of the Cimarron, The Lion King, and How To Train Your Dragon (still need to see the third movie). When it comes to books that are just that, books... nothing that I can think of. In regards to comics, there is one that I'm following called 'I Hope So' on a site called Webtoons that somewhat influences another incoming project I'm working on behind the scenes. I haven't really been watching the main sources that have been the starting point of becoming a writer, but I'm doing my best to get back into it.

JNKing
Group Admin

For me, it started with two movies: 'How to Train your Dragon.

And Guardians of the Galaxy

I absolutely adored Rocket Raccoon and Toothless. And got the idea of the two of them going on adventures together. However, I knew that Rocket would never leave Groot, just as Toothless wouldn't leave Hiccup. Which led to me fashioning my own characters based on them. These characters were the prototypes to Danielle Dolores Dixon and Star Wing. The rest of my characters started to follow shortly afterward, with many being inspired by things ranging from 'Percy Jackson and the Olympians'

To Wings of Fire

To the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Then, the Knights of Drake were inspired by My Little Pony; Friendship is Magic. Specifically 'Dragon Quest.'

As an aforementioned fan of dragons, I hated how the episode portrayed dragons as greedy and cruel jack holes. And after reading the Fiery Joker's story Recasted...

ERecasted
What if during the Summer Sun Celebration, Twilight didn't meet the rest of the main six? What if she met different ponies? What new things would she learn from these different ponies?
The Fiery Joker · 87k words  ·  381  37 · 30k views

I got the idea of Spike getting his own team of dragons, leading to Wing, Jackknife, Swift, Phoenix and Diamondback becoming Spike's friends.

My next biggest inspiration was RWBY.

Specifically the post-Monty era. As bad as people claimed them to be, I enjoyed the ideas that they had, along with the rewrites and reviews people would make of them. And I got the idea of trying to fix RWBY with the characters I had created.

Wing ended up becoming more like Ruby in the process, and I ended up reforming Spike's team into a RWBY esque team, with Wildvine replacing Phoenix and Diamondback due to some more inspiration from Ducktales' 2017 reboot.

And from there, I started trying to make a version of RWBY's post Monty era where my characters took the place of RWBY's characters, with Celine ending up being Blake while Kodo became Adam.

I wanted to give Adam some more background and sympathy points, which led to me focusing on his mother Shiva.

I gained inspiration from two fanfics on this sight - Drawn with the Night

TDrawn With the Night
A human finds himself in Equestria under unpleasant circumstances, his reaction, get out of Dodge and start a new life elsewhere. But events which brought him and his treatment in Canterlot are not so easily forgotten by those who did it.
Dan_s Comments · 10k words  ·  1,829  69 · 46k views

And Misunderstandings. (Sadly, it got deleted from this site, but I found it again on FimFetch, and it has a TVTropes page here)

Both stories gave me the idea of Shiva being a poor, misunderstood soul that fought against discrimination to become a leader, leading to my story 'Howlite Howler' being created.

To this day, I'm still working on my original stories, whether they be Spike's adventures with his own Mane Five Dragons, or even a Fix-it Fic for RWBY with Wing, Celine, Jackknife and Swift going through RWBY's storyline and trying to not become despicable in the process. Progress has been slow, but those shows have always been a huge inspiration for me, and even led to me writing my own standalone fantasy series; 'Of Scales and Fur.'

For me, it has to be HTTYD, pokemon, Naruto, Wing of Fire, Digimon and a few others. Manly any shows that have dragons that interest me

Ragnarok17
Group Admin

Then, the Knights of Drake were inspired by My Little Pony; Friendship is Magic. Specifically 'Dragon Quest.'

As an aforementioned fan of dragons, I hated how the episode portrayed dragons as greedy and cruel jack holes.

How would Star Wing's reaction of first meeting Garble and his goons and they are nothing like those dragons she adores to the point them stealing Phoenix's eggs and break them for their amusement and trying to force Spike to break the egg, she wouldn't be happy with Garble and his goons of making Dragons look bad.

Also, what would Drake's opinion on Garble and his goons when he first met them during Dragon Quest and what would he do with them since they are greedy and cruel Jack holes?

Spike's adventures with his own Mane Five Dragons

Would that story set in an alternate timeline where he isn't found by Twilight but find his own Mane Five Dragons or it takes place in either Owlowicious one or Dragon Quest? Would he abandoned Twilight and her friends for his own Mane Five Dragons?

a Fix-it Fic for RWBY with Wing, Celine, Jackknife and Swift going through RWBY's storyline and trying to not become despicable in the process.

Oh yeah, Canon RWBY team did a lot of dumb stuffs including not telling Ironwood about Salem and making thing worse by treating him as a bad guy.

I can imagine Wing, Celine, Jackknife and Swift would disagree with RWBY folks on lying to Ironwood like Canon Ruby Rose did to him and want to tell the truth, even if Ironwood will go descent into madness.

No wonder why you pick Wolves and Dragons as 2 main focus of your books since you are fan of them… although, are you Medieval Dragon guy or Chinese Dragon guy?

I was born in the early 2000s, so I grew up watching a lot of action/comedy cartoons/anime and comics/manga, with my inspirations becoming more of an all-around type as I grew up.

My main inspirations would have to be Ben 10, Dragon Ball, anything related to Spider-Man, Friendship is Magic, along with Generation 5 and the MLP IDW comics, Scott Pilgrim, Gravity Falls, Doom, Bioshock, Naruto, Tekken, inFAMOUS, pretty much anything involving action, adventure, superheroes and martial arts.

This doesn't mean I don't like other genres. I found myself enjoying a good amount of romance based anime such as Teasing Master Takagi, Komi Can't Communicate, and Kaguya: Love is War. And all of these are just some of my inspirations. I have a whole lot more where that came from, and if I tried to list all of them, we'd be here all day.

For my head-canon series, I turned to "Avatar: The Last Airbender" for inspiration, specifically Zuko and his character arc. I wrote a version of King Sombra that is more of a misunderstood anti-villain that transitions into an anti-hero, just because that kind of concept is interesting and needs to happen more. I wasn't happy with MLP's take on redemption and morality so I thought to expand on that idea. As for world-building and storytelling, I was influenced by J.R.R. Tolkien, Michael Moorcock, Stephen King (specifically his Dark Tower series), Terry Pratchett and George Lucas.

Ragnarok17
Group Admin

I wrote a version of King Sombra that is more of a misunderstood anti-villain that transitions into an anti-hero, just because that kind of concept is interesting and needs to happen more.

Sound like you weren't fan of how they handle Sombra in Season 9 where he's a full-on villain... although, does that episode happen in your story or nah?

I wasn't happy with MLP's take on redemption and morality so I thought to expand on that idea.

To be fair, the show was about friendship... although, you got a point that the show was rather Black and White morality than Grey-on-Gray morality where there's a good guy and a bad guy.

JNKing
Group Admin

How would Star Wing's reaction of first meeting Garble and his goons

She'd be horrified and depressed, sharing in Spike's sadness at how they were nothing like how she envisioned dragons being. She'd still fight and defend her friends against them, but once the threat was passed, she'd need a moment to grieve her broken pedestal and process how dragons can be jerks and saints just like ponies before accepting the good with the bad and deciding to still hope that there are good dragons out there.

Also, what would Drake's opinion on Garble and his goons when he first met them during Dragon Quest and what would he do with them since they are greedy and cruel Jack holes?

He wouldn't even hesitate: the first moment they recommended breaking Phoenix eggs, Drake would lay them out with one punch.

He would then proceed to lecture them on how they are a blight and a shame on the good name of dragons, and vow to set them straight, before taking them back to Fort Drake and putting them through training from hell

By the time Drake was done with them, they'd wouldn't even dream of hurting phoenix eggs. :rainbowdetermined2: And they'd be far more heroic from who they were before.

Would that story set in an alternate timeline where he isn't found by Twilight but find his own Mane Five Dragons or it takes place in either Owlowicious one or Dragon Quest? Would he abandoned Twilight and her friends for his own Mane Five Dragons?

This story would take place in Dragon Quest: feeling shunned by Rainbow Dash and the others, Spike would leave to follow his own path. And from there, he'd come across the other dragons as they sought out answers as well: he'd meet Wing, who was an alicorn that wanted to reject her pony heritage, and thus had shapeshifted into a dragon in the hopes of integrating into their culture, they'd then meet Swift, who was part dragon, part griffon and wanted to learn about his dragon parent's heritage, then they'd meet Jackknife, who wants to train to be a dragon since he sees them as powerful warriors. Then they'd meet Phoenix, who exiled herself from the Dragon Lands out of shame, but they convince her to bring them to the Dragon Lands. Then, from there, they meet Diamondback, who owns one of the biggest treasure hordes around, and invites Spike and his new dragon friends in as she considers friendship to be another treasure; kind of like Greed from Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

From there, I'm still figuring out the details, but I'm curious if the Canterlot Wedding ends up happening, and when the dragons notice Canterlot being infested with changelings - somehow, like I said, still figuring it out - Spike fears for his old pony friends, and can't bring himself to stay on the sidelines. Luckily for him, most of the others agree: Wing is still pony-born and Luna's daughter, so she's concerned for her mother, and Diamondback points out to Spike that the Mane Six aren't just his friends, but his treasures, and recommends that he not let Chrysalis 'steal' them from him. Her words allow him to channel his inner greed to grow bigger and stronger, and he leads the six dragons to rescue the Mane Six, with the dragons gaining the power of the Elements to help them save the day and defeat Chrysalis. From there, the story sort of becomes Spike and his dragon friends learning to get along with the Mane Six, as Spike's treatment goes from a little brother/servant to a partner and equal, as the other dragons don't tolerate being mistreated or mocked by the others, and slowly grow to enjoy balancing life with the ponies and dragons.

Oh yeah, Canon RWBY team did a lot of dumb stuffs including not telling Ironwood about Salem and making thing worse by treating him as a bad guy.

I can imagine Wing, Celine, Jackknife and Swift would disagree with RWBY folks on lying to Ironwood like Canon Ruby Rose did to him and want to tell the truth, even if Ironwood will go descent into madness.

Exactly; one big point that I had with Wing is that she tells Ironwood's version (Drake) everything, topping it all off with a hopeful assurance that she still believes they can win, but only by working together. As a result, while Drake comes close to jumping off the slippery slope, he never goes too far - aided by Wing genuinely seeing him as good-intentioned and constantly reaching out to him in an attempt to find a compromise. Her empathy, at the end of the day, causes Drake to eventually bury the hatchet with her during Volume 8, working together with her team and either evacuating the citizens of Atlas' equivalent successfully, or heroically giving his life fighting Salem's equivalent (Luco).

No wonder why you pick Wolves and Dragons as 2 main focus of your books since you are fan of them… although, are you Medieval Dragon guy or Chinese Dragon guy?

Medieval dragon guy. Chinese dragons are cool, but I feel its the fact that medieval dragons were written to be evil that draws me to them, since the story of a medieval dragon trying to fight past his or her evil roots and be good is a bit more interesting than Chinese dragons, who were noted to almost always be benevolent.

As Skyrim's Paarthunax said once:

What is better? To be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?

In my opinion, the medieval dragon wins out, especially when they overcome evil nature through great effort.

Ragnarok17
Group Admin

By the time Drake was done with them, they'd wouldn't even dream of hurting phoenix eggs. :rainbowdetermined2: And they'd be far more heroic from who they were before.

At least, Garble becomes nicer much earlier compare to the Canon thank to Drake training them to be better and be more of dragons that Drake look up to.

something bad happens in Ponyville, and the Mane Six can't handle it. Spike fears for his old pony friends, and can't bring himself to stay on the sidelines. And Wing helps him, rallying the other dragons to help. And when the six dragons rescue the Mane Six, they end up gaining the power of the Elements to help them save the day. From there, the story sort of becomes Spike and his dragon friends learning to get along with the Mane Six, as Spike's treatment goes from a little brother/servant to a partner and equal, as the other dragons don't tolerate being mistreated or mocked by the others, and slowly grow to enjoy balancing life with the ponies and dragons.

I can imagine Spike earned Rainbow Dash's respect and doesn't view him as "lame" dragon since he and his friends got job done, something she and Mane Five weren't able to do and as a result, her pride got hurt by the one dragon she call "lame", karma for Rainbow.

That would great character development for Spike's dragon friends since (with an exception of Wing) they don't trusted Ponies due to their bias against Dragons and probably gives Rainbow and others a hard time for the way they treat Spike before slowly becoming friends with them.

Fire-forged friends indeed.

In my opinion, the medieval dragon wins out, especially when they overcome evil nature through great effort.

That's why I created Cyrus cause everyone associated snakes or cobras with evil like Slytherin, Cobra from G.I. Joe, Kaa etc.

Cyrus joins the Knights as he want to break the stereotypes of Snakes are Sinister and proving anyone that not all snakes are evil.

In fact, that would be a major berserk button for Cyrus when someone accuse him as evil.

Rainbow Dash: How do we know we can trust you? You could be planning for the betrayal on the Princesses, are you?!

Cyrus:

"Listen here, you rainbow colored bitch... the one thing I hate the most is everyone assumes snakes or cobras are evil because those lies that paint us as bad guys, just because I'm cobra doesn't make me a bad guy and I spend all of my life proving everyone wrong about snakes."

He shoot his toxin at the wall to give Rainbow a warning.

"Don't ever assume me like that again, you racist prick... you don't know anything about me."

It would be a major sore thumb for Cyrus as he hates everyone think snakes are irredeemable evil when they are not.

JNKing
Group Admin

That would great character development for Spike's dragon friends since (with an exception of Wing) they don't trusted Ponies due to their bias against Dragons and probably gives Rainbow and others a hard time for the way they treat Spike before slowly becoming friends with them.

Fire-forged friends indeed.

Agreed.

Jackknife would also have a great development arc with Rainbow, as he initially sees her as weak because she's a pony, which is him projecting his own insecurities over how he feels he's weak since he's technically not a dragon, but a sea serpent. Like Steven Magnet.

But through working together, the two would learn to respect each other's combat prowess, and grow to even become a battle couple. (Romance optional :raritywink:).

Similarly, Swift would have a bit of a rougher exterior than Fluttershy due to bias against him for being a hybrid forcing him to be tougher than Griffons normally are, but through working with Fluttershy, Swift learns to embrace his emotional side while also teaching Fluttershy to toughen up and be more assertive.

Phoenix would get advice from Applejack on how to move on from her past and not to let it define her, while Phoenix would also help Applejack's farm work and even help her in being a better sister figure to Apple Bloom.

Diamondback would learn the true meaning of friendship and generosity from Rarity, while Rarity would also learn how to avoid letting greed get to her like in the 'Inspiration Manifestation' episode, since DB would have personal experience in that regard. I also imagine Spike would end up developing a crush on Diamondback, since she's pretty much Rarity as a dragon, leading to the two ladies having to settle their differences there.

And Star I can see having a great arc where Pinkie convinces her to love her pony self - which she originally hated due to the bias she suffered in the past - while Star teaches Pinkie balance between being fun and yet still being able to be serious when her friends need her.

Cyrus joins the Knights as he want to break the stereotypes of Snakes are Sinister and proving anyone that not all snakes are evil.

In fact, that would be a major berserk button for Cyrus when someone accuse him as evil.

I'll bet. He's going to get along even better with Jackknife, since Jackknife's also technically part serpent, and had to deal with being Luco's minion, so a lot of people thought he was just plain evil as well, when he was much more complicated than that.

I look forward to a post where Cyrus and Jackknife get to start developing a friendship; it really does sound like those two would get along very well. :twilightsmile:

Ragnarok17
Group Admin

I look forward to a post where Cyrus and Jackknife get to start developing a friendship; it really does sound like those two would get along very well. :twilightsmile:

Me too.

Awesome work! :pinkiehappy:

JNKing
Group Admin

Always happy to share. :twilightsmile:

It does not, no. It wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me if they had kept Sombra as a villain but they could've done something more with him. I really liked what they attempted to do with Sombra in season 3 but they squandered him. Then, they finally brought him back in season 9 but reduced him to a joke and killed him off again in the goriest death of the show.

Ragnarok17
Group Admin

I see.

How would you handle Radiant Hope since she was Sombra's friend but she is controversial character since in her attempt to help Sombra cause a lot of havoc for Equestria? Just curious.

Well, I kind of implemented her into my work, except here she's known as "Princess Garnet" and is Sombra's younger adoptive sister (it's a long story). Plus, I'm admittedly a Twibra shipper as I find the idea of a hero and a villain pairing up to be an intriguing idea so if I were to use her as she originally was, she wouldn't be a romantic interest for him, just a platonic sibling-like character. However, this is just what I've done in my own head-canon series and not what I necessarily would've done for the show. Like I said before, Sombra could've stayed a villain or maybe have been redeemed with Radiant's help, just as long as Sombra was used properly. I have nothing against Alvin Saunders but I feel like he was miscast for Sombra's new voice. Also, season 9 Sombra was too goofy and if anything, he was basically a male Queen Chrysalis. Both are narcissistic loud-mouths with a penchant for long-winded speeches about their own superiority, both hate the idea of team work, both long to reclaim their kingdoms and both are evil for seemingly no other reason than for the sake of it. I made a "Virgin vs. Chad meme" picture about both Sombras on DeviantArt to poke fun at this transition and while it's mainly used as a joke, I did put in some of my real criticisms:

JRR Tolkien and Akira Kurosawa immediately come to mind as inspiration for me. I've been a lover of Japanese cinema for as long as I can remember, and I might not have fallen in love with fantasy before reading The Lord Of the Rings. I sometimes even use things Tolkien created in my stories for no real reason other than as an homage.

I also have to give inspiration credit to a few users on this site back before I joined. Alex Warlorn inspired me to create my own multiverse, and MythrilMoth and Ninjadeadbeard just for how their stories finally gave me the kick to start my own.

There's a lot of things that inspired me to create my own stories and ocs:
DC (Including Blue Beetle, Man of Steal, Wonder Woman) , Star Wars (All of the movies and shows), Minecraft, Ghostbusters 1-4, Jumanji, My Hero Academia, Minecraft roleplay such as OriginsMCRP, Lego Ninjago, some Disney shows and movies (pls don't attack me, I just like the movies and shows), Percy Jackson, MLP G4-G5, Hazbin Hotel, Helluva Boss, Avatar 1-2,
MCU (Even though I like all of the MCU shows and movies), such as: Avengers Endgame, Guardians of the Galaxy 1-3, Black Panther 1-2, Mrs. Marvel, Captain Marvel, Wandavision, Loki s1-s2, Falcon and the Winter Solider, Marvel's What If s1-s2,
Extra Marvel things: Toby Miguire's Spider-man 1-3, Venom 1-2, Spider-man: Into the Spider-Verse, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
FNaF, and some fan games such as: FNaC (Five Nights at Candies), FNaTI (Five Nights at Treasure Island), TJoC (The Joy of Creation), the FNaF Charlie's trilogy books. I used to make an entire au of FNaF and other stuff in it, though I'm slowly rebooting it due to younger me putting stuff in it that's kinda cringe and may be out of context and inappropriate...(I don't want to say what happen, though lets just say its involved shipping, and later on learning what is a appropriate ship...)
*P.S Maybe the next form is what inspired the oc's creation? or did that already exist?*

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 20