Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17

Just what it says on the tin: I know I just said I'm probably not going to be able to post on Monday, but I have a question regardless and would like to crowdsource the answer. Honestly, I don't even know if setting another author's work as a prequel to your own would be kosher by Fimfiction's standards, or if it might offend some of the original authors by, I dunno, tainting their work somehow. On the flipside, it may help both stories reach each others' authors' audiences, and I personally think it fits the almost collaborative spirit of an exchange like this. What do you think?

Other author's fics don't show on a fic's sequels, though the prequel link still works, so I'd say go for it. At least, that's what I'm planning on doing, approval or not :V

Personally, I'm not. Though I am at least linking the relevant story at the end of the description with something along the lines of "though this story is self contained and can be read on it's own, this story is based off of [title link] by [author link] and I would personally recommend giving them a look."

Though my situation is a bit unique since my author has three or four stories that take place at multiple points in time in the same universe, so I have to say that it "roughly takes place between this story and that story".

At least, that's what I'm planning on doing, approval or not :V

Your avatar is so fitting right now.

You can use formating to make it look like it's a sequel. Something like:

This story is a sequel Feeling That Way

I just wrote "Based on [author]'s story [title of author's story]" and linked to both.

Given how my story directly ties into the continuity of the one that inspired it and spoils that story as a result, marking it as a sequel seemed entirely appropriate.

Granted, that story also spoils mine. It's complicated. Suffice to say, I also linked to my assigned author.

Oh hey, it's me right?

Not quite that degree of complicated. :raritywink:

Hmmm, I have added a link to the original story and the author in my Story description. I'm not sure if it could be considered a sequel, as it is more a what-if/different perspective kind of thing.

I have mixed feelings about this myself. On the one hand my story follows the events of the original, so it's technically a sequel. On the other hand, it's such a dramatic tonal shift from the original to my story that I fear readers will go from one to the other feeling pretty jarred.

Aw well, I'm putting it as a sequel for now.

Count me in the "inspired by" camp, though that's because mine is in no sense a sequel to the original work, and in practice I'm going with the general approach of 6406651.

Seems it's not as big a deal as I'd made it sound in my own head. Chalk it up to anxiety, haha.

I put the inspiration story in the long description, but didn't mark it as a sequel, since it didn't involve any of the same characters.

It's a prequel sequel!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17