Flashfic 253 members · 77 stories
Comments ( 33 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 33
Loganberry
Group Admin

I'll be away for a week (from the 9th) during this contest period, but I'll be back a few days before it closes so I'm keeping the dates the same as they usually are. However, I may well not see any queries, PMs etc for a little while, so please bear that in mind. With that little bit of housekeeping out of the way, let's get on to the rules. I ought to underline that the word count limit is central to the contest and so is strictly enforced. If you intend your story to be non-competitive, please state that clearly.

Here are the full rules.
Please use this word counter.

You'll note that Rule 6 accommodates G5 entries. Since this means that an active generation is permitted, please bear in mind Rule 9 on spoilers. As always, comments are welcome in the relevant thread.

Remember, there is no prize, as such, for this contest -- but if you win, you will be able to choose the prompt for the next contest. You'll also get a mention on the group's front page. I mean, what's a Booker Prize when compared with such riches? Certainly this is a more exclusive competition than all those boring old original fiction contests! Off we go with the summary:

Prompt: "A Unique Experiment" (selected by EileenSaysHi)
Rating: E or T
Word limit: 150
Closing date: Wednesday 21st June 2023, 11:59 pm UK time (world clock)

Please reply to this post with your entry. This makes it easier for me to keep track. Please do not leave feedback until after the closing date.

Entries are now open! Have fun! :twilightsmile:

Experimental Dusting of a Book

It was at that moment that Twilight Sparkle realized why that particular experiment was marked as ‘unique’. Though the prototype spell successfully annihilated the dust on a book, it didn't stop there. The annihilation spread and nothing could stop it.

The enchantment truly was unique and unreproducible. Sure, many Unicorns were talented enough to cast it, but who would do that after they’re all erased from existence?

If it wasn't for her teleportation spell, Twilight wouldn't even be able to watch her castle crumple into the newly formed black hole.

In all of the bad, she saw one silver lining. Finally, she got the answer to the glaring question: Why are we alone in the Universe?

Perhaps one day, another civilization might spring up somewhere in the vast expanse. But it too will be destroyed because all it takes is one being trying to dust a book more efficiently.

The Privileged Pen

It was good, almost too good.

Spinning Dazzle had been in the magazine industry for twenty years. So naturally, she felt that gave her a bit of confidence when it came to weeding out fakes. Articles written by the incompetent, by ghosts (non-literal thankfully), or with AI boosters.

She'd never know why ponies thought eating Asena Intestines was worth the meagre results it produced, but that was the world she lived in.

Still...

"You wrote this yourself?"

He smiled despite the lack of honorific, something she'd been sure would rattle him.

"Oh certainly, you'd be surprised at what lengths a fellow can wax lyrical on the merits of seersucker."

Dazzle lifted the sheet once more, its contents still disturbingly enthralling. The stallion had turned a simple question about summerware into three thousand words of informative humour and whimsy. What could he do with a regular slot?

"You're hired, Blueblood."

A while back, I saw a ghost hunting show which name escapes me. They made it sound threatening at first about a vicious ghost attacking this woman and her 4-year-old daughter (they would not let up on stating her age), and over the course of the episode, this malicious ghost seemed more like an attempt of this woman wanting attention.

Nevertheless, the woman stated that this ghost attacked her daughter and even left markings on her, yet she still kept this little girl in this house. I'm not a parent, but I think every parent will agree with me when I say that I would get her out of the house immediately until this poltergeist was out of there.

The investigation team had a one on one with the little girl who seemed indifferent at being there, and they didn't really do much to consult her. I really wish they would've upped their game and be the supporting adults that could keep this girl's spirit up. And that's when I saw it, the answer that was needed, imprinted right on her shirt. A picture of Rainbow Dash.

I knew exactly what this girl needed, a story about Rainbow Dash, being told in a way she would understand.

Rainbow Dash and the Mean Old Ghost

There once lived a pegasus named Rainbow Dash. She was very brave, and never gave up on herself for anything, no matter how hard it may seem.

One day, she encountered a ghost. A mean ghost that pushed and scratched her before it vanished, only to return the next day to do it again.

Rainbow Dash didn't like the ghost hurting and picking on her everyday. She fought back with kicks and bites, but nothing seemed to work.

It seemed like she was going to be bullied by this ghost forever, until she decided to yell, "I'M NOT AFRAID OF YOU! GO AWAY AND LEAVE ME ALONE!"

The ghost fell back, frightened how one so little could be so brave. The ghost fled in fear, and Rainbow Dash was never bullied by the ghost again.

Always a challenge to get going on these prompts, but then I can't shut up and end up having a lot to trim. Really makes you consider what's important in a story, and gives more weight to every word.

Indelible Advances

Six unicorn mages were gathered around an oaken totem sculpted into a visage of the sun.

'Light your horns,' one in starry blue robes commanded, looking up with a jingle of bells from a scroll tattered with crossings-out, notes scribbled in every gap.

All obeyed, leaning their horns towards the totem, filling the air with wisps of magic.

'Ponies were not meant to meddle in such things,' one grumbled.

'Imagine what we could achieve with the power of the sun. A new age shall dawn this day.'

'Some stones are better left unturned—or unexploded.' His horn remained lowered.

The wisps of magic grew stronger, began to pulse in the air. The robed one started to chant through crackling gusts. Chants raised to shouts; hooves stomped on hard stone—then it was done. Vast power was theirs.

And the sun and the moon hung together in an eerie, lurid sky.

I'm geniuenly curious if that would count as an acceptable entry. See it as an "Unique Experiment" :trixieshiftright:

Edit: A little thing has been changed for the format :ajsmug:

Within Word Limit

Dear_FlimFlam_Message_Inc.,

I_hope_this_letter_finds_you_well._I_am_writing_to_address_a_rather_peculiar_situation_regarding_the_recent_ban_of_my_account,_@TwilightSparkle,_on_your_message_app._It_seems_there_may_have_been_some_confusion_on_your_end.

You_see,_your_app_explicitly_states_that_the_free_version_limits_messages_to_150_words_per_hour_unless_users_upgrade_to_the_Premium_version_for_24.99_Bits/week._I_am_well_aware_of_the_word_counter_that_blinks_annoyingly_once_the_message_exceeds_100_words,_as_well_as_the_pop-up_reminders_at_120_words,_urging_users_to_upgrade._These_measures_are_in_place_to_ensure_compliance_with_the_word_limit.

However,_it_appears_that_my_account_was_banned_under_the_assumption_that_I_had_exceeded_the_word_limit._Allow_me_to_clarify:_My_messages_are_formatted_to_appear_as_if_there_are_more_than_150_words,_as,_if_you_look_very_closely,_the_symbol_“_”_with_low_opacity_has_been_used_instead_of_spaces._Thus,_my_messages_never_exceeded_the_prescribed_limit_and_I_kindly_request_that_my_ban_be_lifted_accordingly.

Thank_you_for_your_attention,_and_I_eagerly_await_a_swift_resolution.

Sincerely,
Twilight_Sparkle

P.S.:_This_message_is_indeed_only_eight_words_long._It_might_be_worth_considering_whether_support_messages_should_also_be_subject_to_the_same_150-word_restriction,_regardless_of_the_app_version._Just_a_thought.

Loganberry
Group Admin

That depends whether you think I'll interpret it as within the site's "Use proper formatting" rule or not. :raritywink: To help you come to a decision, in the past I have allowed (once) things I consider a clever subversion but disallowed things I feel would undermine the contest's essence.

Considering that any honsh mentions were earned doing crazy/formatting things, me refusing to write what makes the winning chances go higher like no EqG and that normal writing will not outmatch others, I say: Let's break the rules and risk it. May, because of me, in the future stand in the rules: "Don't cheat the word counter using symbols instead of spaces to separate words"

No fancy formats or pictures here, just...........words?!
The horror, the horror........

Enriched Yellow Cake

“It’s a unique solution to a unique problem.” The very tip of her horn faintly shimmering, Celestia wafts magic across the surface of the mirror.

Luna sighed. “If you think this is going to work then your head is as fat as your posterior.”

“Rude! Now shush!” Celestia snapped. “I need to concentrate if I am going to connect to the mirror in the royal pantry.”

“Twilight will detect the portal.”

“Not a chance! Not at these power levels, there’s cake with my name on it!”

“You where put on a diet for a reason sister, Your gluttony is legendary since retirement.”

The mirror surface shimmered.

Celestia pounced forward to be met with solid glass, she staggered back clutching her snout.

The mirror shimmered once more, something curved and yellow sailed through with a note attached.

‘Better luck next time. Love Twi.”

Celestia glared at her reflection. “I hate bananas!”

Contributing Factors to a Long Voyage

Another late night, Celestia was up on the castle balconies. With the crystals of harmony, pouring over Starswirl's old scrolls. She'd always found moonlight stimulating to her late night antics, even despite the fact it was her sister's domain.

"Thou art up again, sister," Luna softly trod. "If this keeps up, we think perhaps we shall have to switch places."

Celestia did not need to look to see Luna's little sneer. "By 'we,' do you mean 'you' or us?"

"We--I..." Luna's chin quivered, and she looked up, focusing. "...It is beautiful, is it not?"

Celestia nodded. Its full disk was on display tonight, shimmering with a prismatic corona amongst the august clouds. Tranquility, peace. Unchanging too.

"You know, sister. Sometimes we think what it would be like to live on the moon."

"...Truely?"

"Yes." Luna sighed. "We think we could spend some time up there."

Loganberry
Group Admin

Just over 48 hours left to get your entries in!

Comment posted by Magitronique deleted Jun 21st, 2023

A little closer to the deadline than I would've liked! It took way too long to settle on an idea and actually, y'know, get started on the whole "writing" part. I desperately need to work on developing better writing habits, haha!

Surprises and Synthetic Strings

“Surprise!"

Octavia's eyes opened to see Vinyl grinning proudly, presenting her with the remains of what was once a cello.

She gasped, both in surprise and dismay at Vinyl's handiwork. All that remained was the midsection and some bits of the body in the shape of a treble clef.

"Pretty sweet, right?” Vinyl said, chuckling at her friend's dumbstruck expression.

Octavia groaned, a hoof massaging a temple. "It's a lovely piece, Vinyl, thank you. A shame to destroy a perfectly good instrument, though."

Vinyl laughed and reached over to pluck a string. A loud note bellowed from the speakers of her deck.

"It's fancy and functional! All electric, and connects right to my gear."

"Vinyl, this is... this is marvelous! But why? What's the occasion?"

"Thought we'd compose something together! Remember our little pre-wedding jam session? Just imagine what we could come up with now!"

Octavia grinned.

"Let's find out!"

Not my most creative take on a prompt, because the heat today is frying my brain. But the heat is also what inspired this flashfic, so here it goes:

She saw the defeat of Daybreaker. She witnessed the loss of her mentor. And now she gazed upon Daybreaker's legacy. Withered grass. Burning forests. Desertification. Dry rivers. Melting glaciers. The demon went out, but it left Equestria a gift. Something to always remember it by. The temperatures increased, for how long they would do that, she did not know. But living was already getting difficult and Twilight feared the worst.
It wasn't over yet. The moon was still there. If they could move it in front of the sun..... But Luna was dead, she had weakened the demon before the final blow. Only a unique experiment was left. There was a 50:50 chance of success. If it worked, there would be eternal night. If it did not..... then eternal winter would come over Equestria, a frost just as deadly as this heat. Twilight pressed a button and prayed.

I would like to say that this flashfic is a possible explanation for the events in "Frostpony", if it weren't for the fact that Celestia and Luna are still alive in this universe. It still feels like something similar as that could be the cause, though.

Loganberry
Group Admin

7842149 7842182 7842606 7842825 7843089 7843194 7846323 7849276 7849505

Okay everyone, time's up! An interesting range of entries as usual, so thank you, everyone! :twilightsmile:

Feedback is open!

Loganberry
Group Admin

7842149 7842182 7842606 7842825 7843089 7843194 7846323 7849276 7849505

No feedback? Okay, then it's on to... results time!

With a single-figure entry count this time, there'll only be one honourable mention as well as the winner. So, without further ado:

Hon mensh: Moproblems Moharmoney -- A clever use of a particular character, whose reveal suddenly makes everything else fall very nicely into place. I could easily see this as a taster for a longer story.
Winner: Amereep -- I just couldn't help smiling at the audacity of this one. Not merely pictures, but animated pictures. For me, at least, this just works. You can be sure that the rules will be tweaked next time to disallow this, but for this month you've subverted them in a really charming way.

Congratulations to both of you and Amereep in particular! And as always, thank you to everyone who entered and made it such a pleasure to read the fics. :twilightsmile:

Amereep, please pick a prompt for next time and post it here. By all means take a day or so to think if you wish.

The animated storybook concept was one that I've been carrying since writing Making Roomies almost three years ago. I was aiming for a vibe like something you get from the intro of Yoshi's Island. I kept humming the innocent tune as I drew the childish pictures...

...calm and gentle memories. However, when it comes to memories of this game, everyone can agree that there was only one moment in the game we could never forget of the intensity and powerful threat we had to overcome.

The new perspective of the battlefield, the careful platforming, the rising pressure on us, and the heavy-rocking music to this ride that started so carefree. This is the kind of threat I expect from a Fire Alicorn, the kind of villain that would force Twi and co to seal the land's magic from her, because let's be real, all of MLP's villains could be more than what they are now. Chrysalis could do better, Cozy Glow could do better, Fluttershy could do better... I mean, Sombra looks like a better catch.

I've reworked on the name for the prompt so many times over the past years, but I think the best one to use will have to be... "Pure Evil".

It doesn't have to be as literal as it sounds. It could be the innocent kind like tipping over a glass of chocolate milk, or the overreacting kind like the stressful experience of working with a fax machine, or a difficult choice that can't be given an answer to, or simply the antagonist in a position where they're in control. Tap your long fingernails or twirl your twisted mustache and let your inner demon loose to make even the devil shed a tear at the poetry behind it.

Loganberry
Group Admin

"Pure Evil" it is, then! Thanks!

Continuing to catch up on reading flashfics and writing feedback. Doing that helps greatly with distracting myself from the pain in my mouth, so I guess I can now be happy that I was delayed with this for so long.
I can't let "No feedback" happen:

I would say, Twilight's assertion there is a little far-fetched. Every other civilization in the universe eventually used that experimental spell to dust off books more efficiently and wiped itself out with the black hole it created? Even at the same time? And what about the civilizations that can't even use magic and cast spells? She really hasn't thought that theory through.
I feel like this flashfic makes fun of the Fermi Paradox and if it does, I approve of that.

I'm not sure how this flashfic applies to the prompt and what the "unique experiment" here is. Has Blueblood done a unique experiment by writing about seersuckers in an entertaining way? Or is it the ponies who experiment by taking that drug that makes them able to write good articles? Or is maybe even Spinning Dazzle doing the experiment by giving Blueblood of all ponies a chance to impress her and become hired? There are many ways to interpret this.
But I like the creative use of "AI". It gives this flashfic something special. And maybe that's an experiment, too.

Okay, it's not so easy to get rid of a ghost by just telling them to leave, so if this story were to be read to the girl, she would get false hopes and later be disappointed, but, the creative take here is amazing. You continue to impress with unique entries, a bedtime story flashfic with pictures isn't something I have seen yet and thought I would never see.
The most unique flashfic ever written, my favourite of this month and probably my favourite for a long time. :yay:

I don't understand what happened here, but the atmosphere is tremendous. 150 words and they bring you right there. You can feel the enactment of a probably forbidden ritual and the uncertainty what it might bring about. It's exciting and makes you want to know more, but also leaves you with a very satisfied feeling because of how immersive it is written. I feel accomplished after reading this. :twilightsmile:

And I'm already eating my words from my feedback of Amereep's flashfic. This is the month of unique entries and I didn't expect the prompt would be taken so literal. It really makes my own entry fade. It's very funny, too, Twilight trolling the Flim Flam Brothers and trying to make them let her circumvent their money scheme. :rainbowlaugh:
You probably didn't get through with this and I'm not making that decision, but if I would be the one making that decision, I would accept it. Because it's the month of unique experiments. :raritywink:

:rainbowlaugh: :rainbowlaugh: :rainbowlaugh:

I have a hard time seeing it that Luna would say "fat", she usually expresses herself in more sophisticated ways, but Celestia getting desperate for the delicious Canterlot Castle cake and trying to cheat herself past diet restrictions is funny. :rainbowlaugh: This reminds me of the fight between Celestia and Luna over the present for Cranky's and Mathilda's wedding that we saw in "Slice of Life". I imagine, now that Celestia and Luna have retired, things like this happen way more often.

And then Luna did get to live on the moon, but it was not in the way she desired..... Celestia with the Elements of Harmony and Starswirl's scrolls trying to develop a spell that brings a pony to the moon, but what should happen later was not what she imagined.....
The rift between them is already there here and it leaves me with a tragic feeling of foreboding.

Another reference to the 100th Episode! :raritystarry: I would give something to hear Vinyl Scratch and Octavia make music together one more time.
It's interesting that Octavia didn't scold Vinyl for dismantling a violin, before she knew that it still works. The actual nature of their relationship differs a lot from the way they are portrayed in fan animations. Octavia is a lot less patient with Vinyl in the latter.

I've reworked on the name for the prompt so many times over the past years, but I think the best one to use will have to be... "Pure Evil".

This sentence somehow makes me feel bad for it that I wasn't here in 2021 and 2022..... Did you not win anymore since 2020 and you had, therefore, prepared a prompt since then? There's an implication of this here. This makes me feel like I have missed so much in these two years and now I wish I would have been here during that time. :fluttercry:

Every other civilization in the universe eventually used that experimental spell to dust off books more efficiently and wiped itself out with the black hole it created? Even at the same time?

Not at the same time. When a civilization reaches a certain point of magical development, it's just a matter of time before one being tries to dust off books. One by one, civilizations bloom then fade to black in an instant.

And what about the civilizations that can't even use magic and cast spells?

All those civilizations survive, except if they invent nuclear weapons. In that case, they have a 0% chance of surviving.

She really hasn't thought that theory through.

She does have a black hole chasing her, so there really isn't much time for writing doctor's dissertations.

I feel like this flashfic makes fun of the Fermi Paradox and if it does, I approve of that.

Indeed it does. It also makes fun of humans who are even more prone to destruction than ponies were.

Not at the same time. When a civilization reaches a certain point of magical development, it's just a matter of time before one being tries to dust off books.

Hmm, but then the ponies and creatures of Equus aren't alone in the universe. There are other magical civilizations out there who exist at the same time and who haven't come far enough to cast that spell yet.

All those civilizations survive, except if they invent nuclear weapons. In that case, they have a 0% chance of surviving.

Dito. So Equus isn't the only planet with a civilization in the universe.

She does have a black hole chasing her, so there really isn't much time for writing doctor's dissertations.

But it's all fine, because Twilight didn't think it through.

Indeed it does. It also makes fun of humans who are even more prone to destruction than ponies were.

Like the inventor of the Fermi Paradox didn't think it through. This flashfic is top-tier satire of poorly thought-out scientific theories about the universe. :rainbowlaugh:

Though, ponies are prone to destruction? Since when? :rainbowhuh:

There are other magical civilizations out there who exist at the same time and who haven't come far enough to cast that spell yet.

They're not really advanced then. Still feral; they don't count.

Equus isn't the only planet with a civilization in the universe.

What Equus? There's just a black hole there.

There aren't any civilizations in the Universe. Well, there is humanity, but they invented nuclear weapons, so they don't count.

Twilight didn't think it through.

Hey, she just solved the Fermi Paradox. Cut her some slack.

Though, ponies are prone to destruction? Since when? :rainbowhuh:

Since they thought of a spell for dusting off books.

Okay, it's not so easy to get rid of a ghost by just telling them to leave, so if this story were to be read to the girl, she would get false hopes and later be disappointed,

I don't have experience with ghosts, but when it involves a kid dealing with things that are a bit out of the norm for an adult to handle, trying the placebo route seems to work at overcoming the wild imagination of a child's (it's like using a nightlight to fend of monsters). But if this was the real deal and this is actually a ghost, I've often been told by those with close encounters that ghosts thrive off of fear and gain more strength the more scared you are. In some cases, I've heard that there are ghosts that are very simple individuals that'll do as you say.

I remember an experience this woman said she had with a headless ghost at the end of her bed. She could feel like the ghost was staring at her despite the lack of a head, but when she said, "You're scaring me. Go away." the ghost shrugged and left to who knows where.

This sentence somehow makes me feel bad for it that I wasn't here in 2021 and 2022..... Did you not win anymore since 2020 and you had, therefore, prepared a prompt since then? There's an implication of this here. This makes me feel like I have missed so much in these two years and now I wish I would have been here during that time. :fluttercry:

I don't recall exactly when I thought of the idea, but I remember dropping hints last year in January, November, and this year in April.

Well, there is humanity, but they invented nuclear weapons, so they don't count.

Ouch. But I can't say that's wrong. It's only a matter of time until someone pushes the red button on the desk. Humans can't deal with such power.

What Equus? There's just a black hole there.

Is there? But what if Twilight teleports the black hole away before it gets too big? She is the only magic user I'd trust to be able to teleport something a million lightyears away.

I don't have experience with ghosts

Not much personal experience, either (no direct one, at least), but in the ghost videos I've watched, there was a consensus that ghosts don't simply leave because you're telling them to. You usually have to force them out somehow.

7872341 I can't see denuclearisation of the world taking place in the next century or so. And there's only one alternative to that. Ponies got it easy compared to what's waiting for humanity.

Can Twilight teleport a black hole? No. She could hardly even teleport her friends 100 meters.

Why are you trying to push for a happy ending? There is no happy ending, you know? You haven't lost touch with reality, have you?

Nice surprise seeing this on an older thread!

As for what I tried to cram into the 150 words, it's a theory for how the sun came to be raised by ponies rather than getting on with its own business. I hoped that the mention of bells and starry blue robes would make an image of Star Swirl and that the last line would get across that this was when the sun was torn from its natural state, but looking back it was a bit of a stretch to get all that from a flashfic that's been ruthlessly streamlined to fit in the word count. It wasn't exactly meant to be clear, but I could've put some more clues in.

I'm glad the ritual itself hit well, since that's the real content of the story, the rest being more background and consequences left for the reader to work out. :twilightsmile:

I make my own reality; with wits, cleverness and my analytical mind. :ajsmug:

I got that Starswirl was there, that was easy. I just saw this as an event from an alternate universe/timeline, where Starswirl is perhaps evil and performs an ancient ritual with like-minded unicorns to gain a dark power from the sun. Or, perhaps, to save the world, but they had to use a morally grey spell for it, a forbidden one, whose exact outcome they couldn't predict, hence the tense atmosphere of insecurity.

7874046 And I reject reality and substitute it with my own. :pinkiecrazy:

That's pretty much what I was trying to write just as a historical explanation rather than an alternative timeline which gives me a bit of hope I wasn't hopelessly vague. Just a good amount of vague. Also, I'd say you don't need an alternative universe for Star Swirl to be somewhat evil.

It's hard to tell what happened more than a thousand years ago or even several thousand years ago, so it can work. And I can see that about Starswirl, his harsh and merciless reaction to Stygian's corruption implies a potential that he thinks of some ends as justifying the means.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 33