Flashfic 251 members · 77 stories
Comments ( 40 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 40
Loganberry
Group Admin

Last time around, I was about to head off to UK PonyCon. Fortunately, I am now back. Otherwise it would have been a very long convention and, much as I love UKPC, I would probably be working off the debt for years to come. Anyway, FF150 is back again for a new round and with a distinctly unusual prompt. Since the setter (Bad Dragon) submitted it in all lower case, that's how it's being posted here. I will not penalise anyone for using different cases, though Finnish ones might test that resolve.

Here are the full rules.
Please use this word counter.

You'll note that Rule 6 still explicitly disallows any G5 (and indeed other non-G4) content. Since there has been no objection so far, my inclination is now to relax this rule from the January 2023 contest onwards. As always, comments are welcome in the relevant thread.

Remember, there is no prize, as such, for this contest -- but if you win, you will be able to choose the prompt for the next contest. You'll also get a mention on the group's front page. As indeed will the prompt you suggest; you can see that right now if you wander over there and have a look. By some utter miracle, I've actually remembered to post it already. Okay, since little else remains to be said, here's the summary:

Prompt: "skintight bodysuit" (selected by Bad Dragon)
Rating: E or T
Word limit: 150
Closing date: Monday 21st November 2022, 11:59 pm UK time (world clock)

Please reply to this post with your entry. This makes it easier for me to keep track. Please do not leave feedback until after the closing date.

Entries are now open! Have fun! :twilightsmile:

This is certainly a different prompt… Let’s see what I can manage to do with it.

I give you

The Captive

I can only see blackness. My body feels constricted, my fur pressed far more than flat to my body. My lungs feel like collapsing. I can barely manage to get in breath after short breath as I lie here.

Hoofsteps… Who…?

“Oh, you poor thing…” I heard whispered in my ear as the hooves stopped, “You must feel really bad, hmm?”

I can only groan in acknowledgment, my muzzle trapped in a barely open state.

“This can all be over soon, you will be free to go, and it will be like this never happened… But you need to tell me something first.”

Whatever was covering my eyes was removed, and I shrink away from the bright light. Standing over me stood a tall, insect like creature in the shape of a pony, with a long green mane trailing onto the black suit imprisoning me.

“Where is Twilight Sparkle?”

I go without really participating in the group for ONE MONTH and this is what I come back to find.
:trixieshiftright:

Well, since the prompt is asking for this:

A Question

“Rarity, can I ask you a question?” Sweetie Belle asked her sister.

“Sure thing,” Rarity replied without looking up from her current work.

“I was wondering: Why is it normal for us to walk without any clothes, but as soon as one wears a skintight bodysuit, it gets ‘inappropriate'?”

Rarity stopped, her eyes staring into nothing in particular.

“Rarity?”

Sweetie Belle didn’t get an answer, and when she saw Rarity remaining in her motionless position, she got bored and left her sister alone.

Note that the website being discussed is not FimFiction, so it doesn't violate the rules about metafics.

The Writing Prompt

“Hold up. ShortStories wants ya to write about what now?”

“S-s-skintight bodysuits,” Fluttershy sputtered.

“Ah see.” Applejack replied with a tilt of her head, before leaning in to get a closer look at the prompt on Fluttershy’s laptop. “Ain’t that a little, well, odd, for a writin’ prompt?”

“Well, I guess they wanted to shake things up, maybe? But I don’t know…”

“Ah mean, ya don’t have to write anything if you don’t want to, Flutters.”

“Oh I know, but I wouldn’t want them to think I’m ignoring them. It’s just… how would I write about skintight bodysuits?”

“Well… what about those supersuits from the movie set?”

“I think we’re still under an NDA there.”

“Oh, right.”

They both stared silently for a minute.

“Well, ah ain’t gonna lie… this one’s got me stumped.”

“That’s okay, AJ. Thanks for trying.”

“Anytime, Flutters. Best of luck.”

Changeling

My people don’t hug, but you surround me. I feel your embrace in my stomach’s chemistry and the pop of my joints. You permeate me, stretch across my bones, and seep into every pore that I lovingly crafted in your image.

You need glasses. Your left eye’s weaker than your right. It’s why you get migraines.

My people don’t love, but I know you more intimately than anypony ever will. I feel your heartbeat from the inside, and how good it feels to press your hoof right down against the ground at just the right angle that it irritates that one tender spot.

How did you get that?

And seriously, why don’t you wear glasses? Is it a vanity thing? I’ve been you for five days now, and it’s really starting to bug me.

Pun intended.

My people don’t laugh, but when I wear you, I can smile.

The prompt is Skintight Bodysuit, ...and it's November.

...naughty-naughty.

Living Proof

"'Absence makes the heart grow fonder.' That was the adage your mother and I went with as we parted ways. It held truth to it, holding on to the past is just like her, but I should've noticed the flaw in those words the moment I stepped on land.

Our heritage may have captivated me, but my attention has always focused on the future. I wanted your mother to experience it with me, but she's too drawn to the sea to part ways from it. Our worlds keep drifting away from one another with each passing day, and at this point, I feel that we're too engrossed in them that the question often comes to my mind, 'Was there any love between us?'

So, I'm going to live my life as a hippogriff and your mother will live hers as a seapony. I hope you and your sister understand, Terramar."

150 words

How did Princess Celestia became a White?

Sometime in generation four before Discord the lord of chaos made his entrance. 

Princess Celestia at the age of nine. 

Princess Selena walked in Princess Celestia room. 

“Princess Selena why do I have to wear this suit?” 

“Dear sister this skintight bodysuit will make you white as bright as the moon.” 

“But my fur coat is pink sister why would I want to be white.” 

“Because I look up to you.” 

“Oh.”  

Princess Selena used her right hoof and zipped the back of Princess Celestia bodysuit. 

“If I become a white, I’m so going to change your name to Princess Luna.” 

“Don’t worry dear sister I’m sure you’ll be pale before you know it.” 

Princess Celestia couldn’t breathe and passed out. 

“SISTER!” 

Several days later. 

Princess Celestia woke from her bed. She turned her head left and looked at the mirror. 

“I’m a ghost.” 

“Welcome dear sister to white society.” 

I apologize for a (possibly) stupid question, but what is a "skintight bodysuit" exactly? I mean, is this it?

Or is it supposed to cover only a body, with legs and head free?

Sticky Situation

“Mwa-ha-ha! You fell right into our trap,” cried Big Prankster.

Filly-Second was lying on the floor. Outspread in front of him and his whole Pranksterz gang. She cursed. If only she just peeked around the corner!

“You thought you just run straight and knock us all out using superspeed?” the gang leader continued his monologue. “But we laid the floor at the corridor's turn with Superglue and the moment you stayed there, just for a millisecond – your hooves got stuck!”

He was right but it was worse. When Filly’s hooves stuck, she fell and the rest of her body stuck too.

“My mouth isn’t glued, dumbass!” she snapped back.

“He-he-he! And what good is that for you?”

“The good is the rest is my suit!” Filly finally managed to tear the fabric.

All Pranksterz saw was Filly’s bodysuit exploding. And the next second they all were knocked out.

Word count: 149

Loganberry
Group Admin

Just under three days to go, folks!

Loganberry
Group Admin

Now just a bit over 22 hours remaining to enter.

Tightly Knit

"Ponyville is no more."

What? "Maud," Pinkie echoed, giggling, "what do mean?"

"Pinkie," Maud's voice was like bolders grinding, the flakes chipping in anguish, "Ponyville. He has it."

The sunset caught pinkie's tears. "But if he thought it was funny, then--"

Maud wrapped a forelimb around Pinkie's withers, wound up taught. The gesture helped Pinkie's scrunched face, ruddy and trickling with hot, stinging grief.

There, in the distance, a horde of ponies marched closer. In the front of the fallen parade danced gangly Mud Briar and misshapen Discord, both dazzlingly embraced by disco jumpsuits. Behind them trailed all of Ponyville, wrapped in tight leather, latex, fishnet... Even Granny Smith. Even Mr. and Mrs.Cake, the CMCs, Spike, Smolder. Everycreature, horribly revealed--Gleaming in the rose sunset.

https://m.

I really waited to the last minute with this. I'm new to flashfics, but I'll voice my objection to allowing anything except G4. Anyway, here's my submission and, believe it or not, I got it at exactly 150 words by only removing one word in editing:

In the Carousel Boutique there were the beginnings of a one-pony fashion show. Tight clothes were in this season, and Rarity knew a bodysuit would knock the horseshoes off the competition, accentuating her curves and every nook and cranny. The only issue was wearing it.

Rarity loved her darling son, and watching him grow over the months had been delightful beyond words, but his presence in her belly made tight clothing infeasible. Sucking him in was impossible, lying on her back only crushed her organs like a corset, and magically enlarging the suit would be a bad idea once it shrunk back down around her.

She lay on her side with the suit hugging her rear and unable to stretch past the widest part of her barrel; she sighed. Turning to her belly in defeat, she told him “I'm going to dress you in the cutest outfits I can make.”

Torn

by MockingBirb

When the Cutie Mark Crusaders walked into the meadow, they noticed two things:

The strange capsule which had brought the alien bipeds? It was gone.

But one visitor had been left behind. Sprawled limply on the grass, a gash in its torso dripping red.

"What happened?" Scootaloo shouted.

From inside the visitor's helmet: "I...my environmental barrier suit got torn. My mistake."

"Where are your friends? Why aren't they helping you?"

"They're afraid of your world's diseases. When they saw how my suit failed, they cut and run."

"What, they think they'll get the feather flu? The cutie pox? Ah don't think humans could even get those. You ain't ponies."

"But just in case," Scootaloo mused, "let me get some duck tape! It fixes anything!" She ran away.

"Thank you. But...I hope that's enough."

When Scootaloo returned, her friends were coughing up blood.

"Stay away!" the human said. "And...I'm sorry."

I also considered the title "War of the Worlds (Accidental Edition)".

I believe you are allowed some room for your own interpretation.

Loganberry
Group Admin

7759643 7760041 7760059 7760126 7761955 7763407 7765579 7768451 7768576 7768637

Pencils down, everyone. Time's up!

As ever, thank you to everyone who entered. And it's always very good to see new entrants. Welcome! :twilightsmile:

Usual procedure applies now: I read the fics and take a few days to decide on the winner. Meanwhile, for anyone who wishes to provide feedback on others' stories, feedback is open!

7768664 I told you this month's participation will be fine. There was nothing to worry about. There was nothing wrong with the prompt.

Since it was my prompt, I feel an obligation to give a review to everypony who participated. It seems I have quite a number of reviews to give (because there was nothing wrong with the prompt!).

7759643 The Captive
Your story reminds me of:

I have to say, the prompt is very prevalent in your story. The pony really feels the furtight bodysuit, ey?

I do wonder who the pony is. There aren't many ponies with a green mane out there. Well, serves her right for having the worst color.

The changeling is impersonating the pony. I have to wonder, when a changeling impersonates clothes, does the changeling feel said clothes? I'd say your story answers this question with: No.

Anyways, a nice story. Straight to the point and true to the prompt.

7760041 A Question
When Sweetie Belle starts asking a question everypony should cover in fear. 

I really love your characterizations of both Sweetie Belle and Rarity.

I do wonder what made Sweetie Belle ask such a question. Then again, it's Sweetie Belle, predictability is not in her repertoire.

Rarity would probably prefer to talk to her about reproduction than a subject such as this.

Anyways, very nice story. You used the prompt as the catalist of the conflict. Good on you.

7760059 The Writing Prompt
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. And lemonade you made.

It's not just members of this site telling me that my prompt was weird, now it's the ponies as well. The funny thing is, I still don't know what's weird about it.

But the weirdness remains throughout the story and doesn't even get resolved, letting me know that the weirdness is beyond reproach. Even Applejack, the most helpful of ponies, could not help in any way.

Even if Fluttershy gets an idea, she probably won't be able to write it since she's having a problem even saying the prompt out loud.

I still consider this story very meta which doesn't mean it isn't impactful. In fact, it's very impactful. It feels as impactful as a knife in my back.

Even if readers can't relate to the prompt, they certainly can with your story.

7760126 Changeling
A skintight bodysuit adapts to the shape of a pony. Like a changeling? Is that why we have multiple changelings stories?

Anyways, I had to read your story multiple times before I comprehended it, though I'm still not sure that I fully do. The way I understand it, the changelings didn't just assume somepony's image but shaped itself all around the pony. A very ingenious concept. I wonder if they can really do that.

Your story simbolises simbiosis. One may lack certain things, but together they can achieve them. They really formed a real union, didn't they?

Anyways, an awesome idea, indeed.

7761955 Living Proof
I make it hard (pun intended) to achieve a no-nut November, don't I?

Now, I might be a bit dense on this one. Given how many likes you got, I might be the only one, but the way I interpreted your story's relationship to the prompt is that the mother wears the sea as a skintight bodysuit. One cannot be easily separated from the other. I'm not sure if I'm correct on this, though.

Well, if it's true, she must really like wearing her skintight bodysuit to even sacrifice her family for it. Who needs a love-life if your skintight bodysuits hugs you all the time, right?

Quite a brain exercise this story of yours. Also a bit philosophical. To wear a skintight bodysuit or not to wear?

I actually always wondered. When a girl opens her closet, by what factors and algorithms does she decide whether that day is a skintight clothes day or not? In Equestria girls, that algorithm seems quite definite since they wear the same skintight clothes for the whole season. But in real-life it's closer to randomness. Like, take any girl in your life as an example. Try to predict the weather tomorrow is her skintight clothes day. You can check the weather and activities she'll have, but you still can't make a definite prediction. Girls and skintight clothes, how do they work?

7763407 How did Princess Celestia became a White?
Your story reminds me of that meme:

, except that you’re not afraid to say ‘White Power’. Or in your case, white society.

I’m not sure if I understand the story completely. The way I interpreted it, Princess Luna (former Princess Selena?) had a fetish for the moon, so she dressed Celestia in white so she would be reminded of the moon whenever she saw her. If that is so, Celestia must be the best sister ever, adhering to her sister's fetish for a whole millennium and even when she was absent.

Sticky Situation

I love how you made the skintight bodysuit into a solution to the problem. Without it, Filly-Second might be in big trouble.

The way she fought must have looked like that scene (because she was naked):

POWER! ponies

Anyways, great story format. You have a conflict and resolution. You did a whole story arc in a flash-fiction with a word to spare. That’s not an easy thing to do.

7768451 Tightly Knit
I must be really dense today. I get that ponies wear skintight bodysuits, I’m just not sure how they got there. Was it Discord’s doing or is Discord also a victim?
The video only increases my confusion.

Either way, it seems that ponies don’t struggle just with skintight bodysuits but also with uncontrollable laughter and disco music(?).

The Ponywille as we know it might be no more, but the scene sure would make for a good video spot.

7768576 Many seem to aim for 150, and so did you. I was actually confused about this when I joined this group. For me, it just wasn’t fully clear that 150 was the limit, not the requirement. Anyways, good on you for playing on hard mode. When life gives you lemons, you add razorblades to them before you start making lemonade.

She could craft a bodysuit that would win the show, but for all her power, she couldn’t wear it.

If I understand the story correctly, in the end, she gives up, half wearing the skintight bodysuit. She accepts that she won’t win the show, but she’s happy because she’ll gain much pleasure in the future by dressing up her foal.

Indeed, you make a good point with this story. Skintight bodysuits are tight.

One could say that skintight bodysuits always fit the person wearing them, but your story enlightened us. They never fit because they’re always tight.

7768637 Torn
For someone criticizing my prompt, you wrote an awesome story. One of the best if not the best.

In your story, the skintight bodysuit has a distinct purpose. Yet your story is much more than that. It shows humans thinking only about themselves. We see that in the crew, we see that in the man, thinking only about getting himself infected.

But the ponies are the exact opposite. They don’t think about themselves, they think about others, even at their own expense.

I love how you subverted expectations. We all know how the War of the Worlds ended but has anybody thought about the opposite problem? The aliens were in the same situation as the natives. The War of the Worlds showed us one side of the equation, your story showed us the other.

The sad part is, there’s no indication that the human got infected with anything new. The human will have to watch ponies die around him, knowing it’s all his fault.

Anyways, I’m very happy with the turnout. Thanks everypony for participating. Your stories were a blast to read.

Now, can somepony please tell me what was wrong with my prompt?

oh please bad dragon we all know Princess Selena was in a book lore... And Princess Celestia Was Pink toy at the time... I mashed up and made this idea.

Princess Selena

Now, I might be a bit dense on this one. Given how many likes you got, I might be the only one, but the way I interpreted your story's relationship to the prompt is that the mother wears the sea as a skintight bodysuit. One cannot be easily separated from the other. I'm not sure if I'm correct on this, though.

There's quite a few ways of viewing it that follows the prompt, but the title might give you an idea of what I was aiming for.

To get to the point, I reinterpreted the prompt. 'Skintight' was interpreted as something that ties two individuals together, possibly through blood or genetics. 'Bodysuit' was intended to be literal as the body is basically a suit for one's soul to walk in. With those depictions in mind, 'skintight bodysuit' would be changed to something like 'unified entity,' which can be compared to a child towards their parents.

To me, a child is basically the walking symbol that represents the love shared between two people (the parents), and I wanted to present that through a scene about divorce. Originally, it was going to be Rainbow Dash talking with her father upon hearing that he's going to divorce her mother, leading with Dash to question if her existence was a mistake and wondering if she should even be alive as of now because she's the 'skintight bodysuit' of their love. It eventually became what it is now because Terramar's family follows a similar premise of a divorce and because I can't see a back-and-forth without someone acting out in a whining manner.

7768814 Shows how much I know.

7768860 I have to admit that all that flew over my head. Kudos for hidden meanings.

Loganberry
Group Admin

Now, can somepony please tell me what was wrong with my prompt?

Looking back, I didn't see anyone actually say that it was a bad prompt. One person said the prompt didn't do it for them (and so didn't enter this month) and I said I had "absolutely no idea" how many entries there'd be, which was true. I still accepted the prompt and here we are. So let's carry on.

7768905 Indeed, I concur.

Hi. Here are my impressions of other stories:
So, you started with BDSM (yeah, THAT was my impression, and clearly it was intended) and ended with a reveal that this is a scene from Changling Invasion. I like the way you grabbed attention and turned things in another direction.
A funny slice-of-life episode. Though I'm pretty sure Rarity should be able to answer the question.
So meta... Still, an interesting way to use a prompt for a story.
I'm pretty sure that Changelings can laugh naturally. But that's just nitpicking. The story itself is a rather cool dive into the mind of a changeling. I also like the metaphorical use of the prompt.
Sorry, but I just don't see what's the point of the story. Yes, I've read your explanation. That, in your context, 'skintight bodysuit' means 'unified entity' and you meant to show a child representing shared love. But I just don't see that in the story. Maybe it's there, but I can't see it.
Whoa, that's dark! Not "Cupcakes" dark, but still. I'm not sure how I feel about this. And that's probably the best recommendation for a horror story that could fit in 150 words.
I'm not sure what is going on here. But at least bodysuits from the prompt are present and there is an intriguing premise. This definitely would work better as a part of a bigger story.
A really sweet story. I'm glad that Rarity was able to find positive points in her situation.
Wow! That's quite a turn of events. A thriller and a cautionary tale just in 150 words. I wouldn't be surprised if this story wins.

I hope my feedback wasn't too brief.

We all know how the War of the Worlds ended but has anybody thought about the opposite problem?

As a matter of fact, Wells did. He actually has an explanation in the book why it was Martians who died from Earth infections and not the other way around.

Thanks for the feedback about my story, btw.

well I did want to mash up pure cannon... 0_0 from the origin pure cannon.

7770251 So, has Celestia been stuck in a white skintight bodysuit for a whole millennium?

7770292 Given that it took the wind out of her, it must be super tight. And Celestia has just been trapped in that tinny solitary confinement for over a thousand years. Each breath is a struggle and a fight against the intense pressure from the skintight bodysuit. All movement is countered by the opposite force. it’s super tight and uncomfortable. It’s itchy and restraining. She must feel like she's constantly suffocating. It feels as if a hundred hooves are touching her without her consent, especially in the areas she doesn't want to be touched. The abuse won’t stop no matter what she does. If she moves away from the fondling, it opposes her movements, reminding her of solitary confinement. Trapped in the tight bubble that disconnects her from the real world. Bound forevermore. She's not even wearing this furtight bodysuit; it wears her! And with each passing moment, it wears out her mind and resolve more and more. The fabric doesn’t ask for her consent and doesn’t take no for an answer; it just assumes direct control over her freedom and keeps the rapy initiative. She's exposed to bad touches all the time, but she can’t even take the damned clothes off because blemish her white image. She just wants to get out of this enwrapping prison, but no amount of kicking and screaming can help her. She stays encased in the rubber coffin, pressuring her from all directions. Bound all over. Captured. It crumples her coat and she feels the furtight bodysuit with every hair on her body. Like an ever-present all-encompassing itch that she'll never be able to scratch. A touchy hoof may be swatted away, but the enclosing fabric clings on relentlessly, unmindful of the concept of consent. No safe word can get the body out of the bind. The will of the wearer is all but disregarded. The freedom of the body is perpetually denied by the tightness of the wrapping togs.

Sorry, but I just don't see what's the point of the story. Yes, I've read your explanation. That, in your context, 'skintight bodysuit' means 'unified entity' and you meant to show a child representing shared love. But I just don't see that in the story. Maybe it's there, but I can't see it.

The line 'Was there any love between us?' and the last sentence where Sky addresses his offspring, the evidence that answers his question.

I'll admit that it's subtle, but I think that subtlety is what many parents tend to overlook when it comes to severing ties between their partner. Sky Beak is the one doing the talking, so it seems appropriate for the message to be subtle enough for it to be there, but also hidden enough for Sky to not realize it (establishing that he's more focused on himself and his wishes to be on land).

I am into that deep horror stuff too... glad you like it.

Loganberry
Group Admin

7759643 7760041 7760059 7760126 7761955 7763407 7765579 7768451 7768576 7768637

Okay, results time! I know I keep saying this, but it was really tough to pick a winner this time around. Some fascinating takes on the prompt. But I have to pick just two (one honourable mention, one winner). And so here we go...

Hon mensh: Kassaz -- what I found particularly noteworthy about this one was its clever double meaning. Yes, there's the tight suit Rarity can't quite fit into, but there's also the fact that her body itself is the close-fitting suit that protects her unborn foal. That really worked well for me.
Winner: EileenSaysHi -- this one really walked the line when it came to meta stories, but yes I agree that it didn't violate any rules. And though that kind of meta fic is broadly pretty common, this specific approach was original enough, plus it amused me a good deal, and that usually helps in the judging! I very much liked the dialogue, too.

Congratulations, you two! And EileenSaysHi, you know how it goes: please pick a prompt for December's contest and post it in here. Then we'll await 1st December and off we'll go again!

Fair warning to everyone: after spending quite some time considering the balance of opinion in this group, I have decided that G5 stories will become acceptable from the January 2023 contest on. (So next month's will remain G4-only.) I'm aware this decision won't be to everyone's liking, and I'm sorry if you're disappointed by it. I couldn't please everyone. However, G4 fics will remain eligible and I will only accept prompts that don't exclude G4 material. As always, discussion on this issue should go in the general thread, please.

Meanwhile, feedback posts for this month's contest can still be posted here, if anyone would like to add anything.

Oh wow! I figured I was basically giving up any chance of winning by writing that story, so this is quite the surprise. I'll come up with next month's prompt by tonight!

And my pick for December's prompt is... "A Terrible Day to Have Eyes"!

So...pretty similar to the November prompt then :trollestia:

And my pick for December's prompt is... "A Terrible Day to Have Eyes"!

Sounds more similar to the prompt I had prepared... 'It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Murder'. Really captures the stress of the holidays. :derpytongue2:

Meanwhile, feedback posts for this month's contest can still be posted here, if anyone would like to add anything.

Yeah, I would really appreciate some feedback, since I haven't won.

My first thought was that the story involves some Cockatrices.

Loganberry
Group Admin

7771660 7771969
Yeah, your entry made it into "Slightly subverting the rules but staying inside them" territory, and those have been known to win before! However, it's usually an approach that doesn't win in the same way twice. :raritywink: But although this isn't how I decide, look at the upvotes on your entry. It's not at all common there's a fic with (at the time of posting) eight of those. So clearly plenty of other people liked what you wrote too.

Interesting prompt! Hereby accepted, and that's what will be used for the last (probably) G4-only Flashfic 150. Let's see how it goes!

I would thank you, but then a little later you went on to post a pile of ick.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 40