Anti-Depression Ponies 1,884 members · 2,414 stories
Comments ( 35 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 35

Uwah! But I keep all my cool online friends and lovey-dovey crushes down there!

Well, and in some scattered remnants of the British Empire around the globe.
But mostly in the USA.

4471203 I'm certainly happy to be British apart from Cameron

4471182 Haha, you're right in saying that the president has little control over his country. That power does really lie with the congress, and the senate. You are also right in saying that there is a problem with how things are currently run. Yes, there is the existence of selfishness, of laziness, and general ignorance, however, the same can be said about the American people. The real problem lies within our general population, as nobody seems to want to DO anything about it. Most of the time they just spout a bunch of hot air, and eventually wither into insignificance. The true key to improving the quality of our nation lies not in our government, but rather, us. This great country was founded as a democracy, by the people, for the people, and we should never forget that.

4471182 I lost my faith in America a long time ago. Nowadays, pain, injustice and corruption is just the status quo. :ajsleepy:

I can agree with you that the way America is run leaves a lot to be desired since half the people in congress can't even so much as discuss issues together without it turning into a huge debate but at the same time part of the reason our education, medical, and judicial systems are completely broken is due to exactly one reason. Money and it's the only thing that speaks in a capitalist society and that's the cost to some of the freedoms we have is that money revolves around everything in America and frankly the way our government has handled money is the major reason we have some of these problems in the first place.

THANKS, OBAMA.
At least you once had faith in your country in order to lose it, which is more than I can say where I live.

You should've already known that the government was corrupted anyway, since money now controls everything. Lies to us, and spends all its money on useless, greedy beings.

4471182 Hate to tell you this, but that's just about how every country is. Every country has issues like that in some way.

What are you a commi!?:twilightangry2:
But really, the government is shit, it will always be shit. You can make it a shiny shit, but still shit.
And that holds true for most, if not all governments.

I love how pretty much everyone agrees, and yet MY comment was the only one that got downvoted. Thanks a lot. :ajbemused:

4471244 Eeyup. My faith is in the UK now.

Well Europe's way better than the U.S in education, health care, and have a lot of employed workers. Specifically Switzerland it had only 3.5 percent of unemployment. And the Swedish and Norwegian countries have great health care.

My only problem though, and this isn't towards you specifically, is that many people talk about the United States like its the only country on the planet that has problems. It's a word superpower, just like Russia or China! And we are an extremely spread-out country too, it's three thousand miles from the East to West end! It's not like it is an easy job for the government to run this country when they're actually doing something!

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot you can do about it. Yes, we have problems, but whining about it will only make you feel worse the longer you think about it.

Yeah. I hope to be moving to europe whenever I can.

I did not downvote yours. You were only telling the truth. We cannot deny it. The U.S is in bad shape.

4471426 What 4471430 said. I don't deny that those countries have their advantages, but it really isn't very fair to compare. It's like comparing the diseases of a bird and a fish. They may be the same diseases, but they can work completely differently in the two animals. A large part of the reason the US has problems reforming is what Eternal Aviator said as well as it's massive population. For example, the US has 300,000,000 people while the UK has 65,000,000. That means theirs five times more opinions that have to be taken into account.

It's really nothing new; in fact, you're lucky you weren't around for the 30s or 60-70s when stuff was way worse. Things like this go in cycles, and before long you'll probably see things turn up again. In fact this time feels a lot like the turn into the 1980s, when everything was bad and people eventually just got tired of everything bad happening.

This documentary really kind of pointed it out to me, and the start of it shows something that I think we'll be seeing before too long.

4471430 4471460
Whether or not it sounds arrogant, I do think the U.S. is special in a way; course I also think every other country is unique and special as well. Now that doesn't excuse the bad things that have happened, nor does it make us inherently best at everything, but there is a lot to be proud of from what's happened, and with everything we have we've got the ability to be the best at a lot of things. You need patriotism and confidence and that feeling of being great, because then people will go out and try to be special and do great things; Oruko Lonro Ni. I like the idea that being American doesn't make you inherently the best, it gives you the chance to be the best; it makes you special, but that doesn't mean you should sit around and do nothing in a pool of egotism, you should go out and make things better with what's given to you, basically prove you deserve to be so. That's my philosophy anyways.

4471552 You pretty much gave voice to my issues as well. I don't blame one side or the other because both are at fault to be sure.

The President's not supposed to "have control over the country." His power is almost-dictatorial on foreign and military policy, but very limited on domestic and economic policy. That's the way the Founders deliberately wrote the Constitution.

The reason Obama's been such a colossal failure is that he -- despite claiming to be a brilliant Constitutional scholar -- doesn't seem to have learned in law school what I learned as an undergraduate in a couple of law and American history classes.

Go fig.

Comment posted by DH7 deleted Jun 17th, 2015

4471460 dose that mean China is most difficult country to govern? :rainbowhuh:

4473016 Possibly. I don't know enough about it to say. But if you look at the news about them from time to time, they definitely don't have it easy.

Europe's Excelling grade ranges from 100 - 70 right? Making that an A?

America makes a 70 a fucking C. You can guess the rest.

Professor Plum
Group Admin

.,.what?
Uh, that's not true, and even if it was, I'm afraid it wouldn't mean anything.

First of all, the percentage needed to get, say, a C varies wildly from subject to subject, and depends on which level of exam you're taking (GCSEs are easier than A levels, and so forth).

Secondly, even if they're on the same subject, and at the same level of education, one exam having a lower grade boundary means nothing, either. Because one exam might be more difficult than the other.

My mother took geology at university, and one of their final exams had the grade boundaries set so that 40% was a C, and 60% was an A. Because it was that difficult. To contrast, the opening exam I took when I went to study Biology at uni had Cs at 80%, with As being at something like 95%.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 35