Human in Equestria 16,837 members · 17,015 stories
Comments ( 155 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 155

As the name says. A HiE RPG is now in the production stage. I'm currently heading the project, and have about three other members that help with the editing of the dialogue and some art (Literary, Deka Skittalz, and Darkhooves).

You play as a human named "Travis Goldheart" He was rescued from the Everfree forest by a pony of the name "Pure Goldheart" and was raised by him. Travis wasn't treated too well by the other ponies of Manehattan due to him being an unknown creature from the Everfree forest. On Travis's 18th birthday, he is given the chance to live in his adoptive Grandfather's old house in Ponyville for a year.

For one in game year, you get to live in Ponyville. Many things will happen, from major story events to just spending time with the characters. Almost every day is open for your own choice to do what you'd like. I've got a few videos that shed some more light on the mechanics.

There will be many different Social events in the game, being able to form bonds with different characters. You may be able to romance one if you get close enough to them :trollestia:

The party will consist of the Mane 6, as well as the MC.

Any asset that's used that I did not create, will be credited.

If there's any way that anyone want's to help, feel free to ask! Help is always welcomed!

I may be taking OC requests for the game as well. Here are a few examples that I was able to create off of requests from people.

Finally here are some screencaps, as well as a gif from the game (so far)

NOTE This is NOT a "Human is Lost Element" scenario. I hate that trope too...

TL;DR: A Human in Equestria RPG that's inspired by the Persona series of games. Help (in any form) is welcomed. If you want clarification on anything, please ask!

NOTE This is NOT a "Human is Lost Element" scenario. I hate that trope too...

Thank fucking GOD.

Anyway, this looks like it could be fun. Are you going to be charging money for it when it's done?

I’d expect a firm C&D letter from Hasbro on this one, especially since you are directly using their IP. As a heads up, those are a ‘nice’ letter you can ignore. Companies (or for the few I’ve had to send myself) are very aggressive about protecting their properties and will go to court if a C&D isn’t honored. Look at what happened to Jan Animations for example.

Nah, this would need to be a lot more popular for Hasbro to notice.

100% free of charge. I learned to always mention that point so people don't get the wrong idea.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about this getting C&D at some point. I have seen some FiM RPG's out there that haven't been taken down. I do appreciate the heads up. Maybe It should be SUPER BOOTLEG until the final release.

I do see fan games still available to play Dare I mention the infamous "Banned from Equestria" I would be a very sad boy if it does get canned before anything is out. or we can AM2R this and just host multiple links so nothing can stop the spread

What kind of program do you use for sprite work and game mechanics? I don't know the first thing about making games, but I would love to learn though.

When it comes to the mane 6 I borrowed the sprites off of devientart (I would link the user. But I'm on mobile right now, so I don't have access to my credits list.) But for any original stuff I make, it's in Photoshop. I try to just use the assets in Rpg maker MV (it can look good if you want it to) but for anything such as Golden Oak's, Sugar cube corner, ect. I just take them straight from the show and add some extra shading and shadows.

For the OC's (pony) I'm using a base I found. And just adding props (man, tail, accesories) and colouring them myself.

Rpg maker MV is a fantastic tool if you know how to use it. I've been using the brand for about 4 years, and only now I feel confident in what I'm doing. For mechanics you can find a script for simple ones. Or if you're like me and what a specific way for the Callander system. You just got to get creative with variables!

Hopefully that covers what you wanted. If you got anymore questions, feel free to ask!

So is this going to be a more slice of life RPG?

A little more of a slice of life. But it's not short on combat and exploration. You get to chose what you want to do during each day. Weather that be spending time with someone. Or taking the party into a dungeon to level up. You're going to need to do combat at some points in the game (plot important dungeons) so you will need to level up in order to complete them

Those two sample sprite sheets look nice.

Interesting. When will this be released?

As of right now? I have no clue. I know that I'll be having a pre release out when I get the first chunk of the story done, just to get an idea of what it'll be like. I often do post updates on the thread to get some feedback

Hey! I've been working on a HiE RPG for the past few months myself, just that instead of using RPG Maker, I'm using GameMaker Studio. Funnily enough, the mechanics and all that sound pretty damn similar to my game. I think I'm even using the same sprite sheet as you are! Should be this one from urimas, if I'm correct.

Travis wasn't treated too well by the other ponies of Manehattan due to him being an unknown creature from the Everfree forest

Yeah, they don't have problems with donkeys, sea serpents, yaks, who know who else (there are at least dozen sapient races on pony-Earth) but of course they have problems with humans (even after live near him|her for years) because reasons.
And no, no one fear Zekora because she a zebra. No one even know that she a zebra till Twilight point it out.

Racism and baseless fear are one of the easiest ways to insert drama and confrontation in a story. They also tend to be quite lazy and very often not handled well, especially in fanfiction. They are one of the great shortcuts.

Yeah, it annoys me how people play this card to either get some cheap sympathy from readers of to give their characters 'right' to be an asshole to everyone else.

The sprite for the human looks pretty weird. He looks like he's from a completely different art style and the fact that his head is bigger than his body looks kind of dumb. Just my opinion. The game overall looks pretty nice though, good job.

This takes place post season 2 pre season 3 so they aren't used to seeing these kind of differences. All it took were a few rumors to exclude her from Ponyville. Sobim pretty sure Manehattan would be worse, since the ponies there are more stuck up.

If you're not a fan of this kind of desision, I understand that. I do explain the "baseless fear" at a later point.

All it took were a few rumors to exclude her from Ponyville.

She lives in dangerous woods and no one knows what she does there. And on pony-Earth magic is real. So they think that she a witch.
But at the same time after they learn that they wrong, they integrate Zecora in their lives in the span on days at best. And on Nightmare Night she already plays an integral part of this pony festival.
But you want everyone to believe that even after live for several years near them ponies still don't trust MC and mistreat him? Really?
People (and most likely ponies as well) in big cities tend to be more acceptable because they have more chances to see all sort of weird shit that you never see in small, tight-knit communities as Ponyville.

I could try to say "oh it was intentional because it represents how he's from a different world, yadda, yadda" but I'm just not an amazing artist :twilightsheepish:

If you don't like the chibi style of the human, it bothered me at first before I got used to it. But i guess this is a case of "different Stokes for different folks" but I do appreciate you sharing your opinion!

And thank you for the comment.

The thing is that this is Manehattan we're talking about. We've seen many examples of the citizens there not exactly being the kindness group. I do have an explanation for the lack of trust, but that's some spoilers.

As I wrote above:
People (and most likely ponies as well) in big cities tend to be more acceptable because they have more chances to see all sort of weird shit that you never see in small, tight-knit communities as Ponyville.
Well, maybe not exactly "more acceptable" and more like "don't give a fuck" but still. MC need to put some real effort in that after several years people still don't trust him and mistreat him.

I don't want to go too deep into spoiler territory, but I can say that I do have some sort of answer to that trust issue.

It's both a combination of MC being an indoor type that wants to be left alone, as well as super spoiler stuff. When Travis was a kid, he was pulled out of public school because of the other kids wouldn't stop picking on him. So Adoptive Grandpa homeschooled Travis. Travis isn't the smartest out there. But he doesn't know just a little below average basics. Because Travis would spend most of his days indoors, with no one his age. He didn't really learn what's considered the "social standard" to make his own friends. As a result, he would spend most of his days inside. Causing suspicion as a result.

That's all I can really say without having to spoiler the rest

Well, okay. That made more sense that just "I need ponies be mean to MC for no other reasons that plot".

It's information that gets explained over time. The last thing I want is to have a "Because Plot" kind of moments. It's my fault for not having that a bit more clear in the description twilightsheepish:

Sorry for the late response. I don't get notified unless it's a direct reply to me. Now I'm really glad I put the "As far as I'm aware" in my title! For my sprites, I'm actually using True Frenzy's overworld sprites And for battles, I'm using SergioBonifaciy/Dshou's Sprites I did scale some sprites from the sheet you're using just because I don't have any for sitting. You said that we share some of the same mechanics? I would actually like to see the one you're working on (if you have any information to share that is) just to check it out! I was inspired by the "Persona" series when it came to my calendar system/ social system!

I suppose it's too much to ask if you can make a variant that'll work on an iPad?

As of right now, I wouldn't even say that my game is in the alpha (not even close to it), so I can't really show anything. Heck, I don't even have a real name for it. Working solo on a project as big as the one I have planned is pretty time consuming, time which I sadly currently do not have.

The mechanics I currently have implemented (or rather scripted) are:

• Of course the movement.
  • The most basic time stuff, like day/night shifts and all that jazz.
  • Basic fighting system (plus health and stamina).
  • A sleeping system.
  • A really basic crafting menu that I'm not sure I will keep.
  • Interactions with NPCs.

As for those I have planned:

• Open world.
  • A little story with several different endings.
  • A housing system.
  • Befriend NPCs (or in some cases even more than that).
  • A (working) character creator.
  • A quest system.
  • Not a mechanic, but I also planned to port the game to Android and IOS, if no problems arise.

Those are all I can think of right now. I'm pretty certain that I had some more written down somewhere, but I can't seem to find the document. What I want to do with this game is give the players as much freedom in their choices, hence the whole open world thing. I was actually inspired by another game that you probably know about, Stardew Valley, so you can kinda picture what the finished game would look like, minus the whole farming stuff and plus MLP.

Is your day night system going to be real time? Because mine only advances after you do something (go to dungeon, hang out with friends, ect)

I really hope you do get it into at least a screenshot phase. I'm interested in seeing what this project will look like!

Rpg maker mv does have an iOS/android export I'm sure. I'll make a build for it and test that out.

I started to work on Carousel Boutique a few hours ago and this is what I got so far. The outside is just ripped from the show with some shading added. Tell me what you think I should add!

I'm pretty sure that Carousel Boutique have the second floor and I don't see stair here? Also, IIRC first floor has a kitchen (not sure about that though)? And the main hall have some sort of raised platform?

I used a few reference images for the main hall. I couldn't find a kitchen, but you are right about the stairs. I see them sectioned off through a door in most fanart I've seen. I'll probably make the upstairs section for the Social events, in case I have the characters go upstairs for whatever reason

Well, season two episode five. Carousel Boutique does have a kitchen and it looks like its really on the first floor (Rarity run down the stairs to get to the kitchen). Although I have a hard time to understand where exactly it on the first floor...
There also a bathroom but again - not really sure where exactly. But it has big round window so it looks like it also on the first floor?

Maybe it's in the back of the shop? kind of like an "employee only" area, but it's for personal stuff

Well, maybe? It's logical at least.

I can just throw a door in the room to get to the kitchen lol. It'll take a second

At this point, I just try to understand how exactly it all fitting inside round building :). Eather main hall not really round (maybe like half-circle?) or boutique have some sort of outbuilding that held kitchen and bathroom?

Well, yeah. But that a Doylist explanation. I try to understand it from Watsonian point of view :)

No, it's going not going to be real time. It's basically going to be just like in Stardew Valley, where time continuously advances except for when you are in buildings, cutscenes or dialogues. As of right now, a full day is around 20 minutes in real time.

Once I'm past the first phase (scripting the most basic stuff/creating the various levels), which is probably going to take me another 4 months if things go good, I'll go over to the gameplay phase and probably release a test build somewhere. It shouldn't take me much longer before I have the most basic things ready and I can release some screenshots. I'll probably just make a blog post then.

And your project is quite interesting too. I'll be definitely keeping an eye on it!

Looks like a good start.

This looks so good, I really like the idea and fun of a HIE based game.

What about Banned from Equestria Daily? I thought that was HiE...

That's more of a point and click adventure game. I was talking about a Rpg like final fantasy or persona. Also people don't play that one for the plot :rainbowlaugh:

Thank you! I'll have something playable at some point. Then I'll send the build out for you guys to try it!

Thank you very much! Took me a while to figure out a design. So I just made the entire thing in Photoshop

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 155