Five Score, Multiplied By More 1,235 members · 80 stories
Comments ( 37 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 37

So I've been noticing that recently there have been lots of new stories added to the 5s/4 universe. However, the problem is that with all these new, each of them don't seem to be getting good ratings at all. I read a couple and found that while some of them did have a good story, they received bad ratings due to the grammar. So, I created this thread for people who are good with grammar and willing to help those making these new stories. Just say down in the comments below if you can be an editor. Just to let anybody else know, I can also be an editor if you need one.

I think my story may or may not be affected from all these negative ratings, One person even lampshaded that, Maybe it's just my bizzare way of wording stuff, I have a very weird sense of humour, and I don't use Google Docs, so I need a way to get people to proofread my stories

Dash Attack
Group Contributor

My spelling has always been terrible, but I always try and make up for it with plot and concept. So far my story, The New Boss, has been getting decent ratings despite the small grammar mistakes here and their. Have dyslexia sucks when you have a passion for writing. All it means is that I need a few more proofreaders. It's never going to stop me. :rainbowdetermined2:

977316 meh, Unless you mean a blog inside of FimFiction, then again, I don't really use blogs, the only website That I use for the reason it was meant to be used other than FimFiction is Youtube, so yeah, that's the only other site I am active one pretty much 24/7

977323 I don't have anything like dyslexia or anything similar, I just know for a fact that the way I write my stories are bizzare as hell, heck, even the way I write anything could be considered bizzare, I just want to write to unload my multitude of ideas, I just can't phrase them in a way people will appreciate :Z

977316 Well, I don't feel I need a proofreader since I usually work on my stories alone, but I put this up so that others could perhaps find a proofreader if they wanted.

People can view one's story before it's published if it's password protected and given the link/password for entry. Another option would be to proofread over PM (not recommended as it really sucks from the proofreader's standpoint).

Due to the commenting system on GDocs, even copying the text in (from the non-edit version so the BBCode is pre-converted) and just having the commented GDocs version opened side by side to make the actual edits within the Fimfiction version would make it far more manageable. The formatting might be odd on the GDocs version, but that's a minor issue in the end.

If it's privacy concerns, I recommend creating a separate Google account that's Internet-oriented.

977582 Oh, Ok, that makes alot of sense, I thought that password protection was for before you submit it, :derpyderp2:

Yeah... Some things aren't explained well as they should be in the interface.

I just got to looking at the Fimfiction writing guide, and boy does it cover nearly all of the issues and questions! :rainbowderp:

To all authors, both up'n'coming and established, I can't stress enough to read it over if even in passing through the sections on punctuation and grammar! Many Most stories stumble on these points that detract from the plot, no matter the quality. Sometime it's just enough to cause that downvote.

Most importantly, for the authors reading this, please make downright certain that both your long and short synopsises are grammatically correct and have proper spelling! Excess and improper formatting are a bad thing for spiking the interest as well. I really can't stress how many times I've passed over a tale due to the lack of editorial detailing that was applied! If in doubt, run both it and the title itself past your proofreader(s) or even the spelling/grammar checkers in MS Word. An incorrectly capitalized title is a minor, but still notable, issue. The misspelling of it? I'm liable to not even read it no matter how good the synopsis is.

Seriously, I've put up with reading utter garbage in regards to the formatting, spelling, and grammar because the synopsises and plots were that good. A bad plot is pretty much as detracting to the reader as a badly formed synopsis.

I'm half-tempted to make this a standalone post to the forum, as our surge in participating authors has made the community as a whole more critical of the side stories. A minor issue in the synopsis or title may develop into a flurry of downvotes, so it's not a minor issue to ignore. Lackluster synopsises are also to be concerned with, so the need to develop them properly are just as important as the story. They're really more important than the cover image with interesting the readers.

If in doubt, ask for help! We want everyone to succeed! :pinkiehappy:

Irony: Making a typo in a comment about not needing a proofreader. j/k man, I feel ya.

On the topic though, I've started writing a story and it'll be my first one on fimfiction. What's the deal with using googledocs for proofreading? How does that work? I admit to never having used googledocs before. I mean, I've read stuff on there, but never really used it myself. I just post a file there, password protect it, and give the person who's going to proofread the password?

978372 Essentially yes. Someone whom I have helped proofread before just passwords lock the document, has us give him our emails and then sets us as 'Comment Only' setting. That way we can just highlight the errors on the doc while commenting what the correction should be.

I've actually started re-writing my fic, to make the pacing better, I realised that the old version was utter crap, so yeah, If anyone wants to read my updated version, go Ahead!

So hey, against all established order in the universe, I actually submitted a story. Well, the first chapter anyway. More to follow!
That said, I'm searching for any kind soul who can dig deep and find the willpower to help me with proofreading and editing. I will be in their debt. I would be honored to have them as part of the Cornerian-
Oh no, sir.
Whoa. Sorry. I had a Star Fox flashback.:pinkiehappy:
Seriously though, I'd be forever indebted to the poor bastard who helps me out. And if they need some editing in return, well.... You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.:scootangel:

984673 I would be honored help. I have a case of writing OCD, and can't help but to correct stuff.

I have rewritten Chapter 2 of my fic! Yay for references I threw into this chapter! Go find them!

I can help with spelling mistakes because my Ipad has auto-check for spelling.

977193: Hello, I'm pretty much new here, and was wodering, if it's not to much trouble, but can someone help me with proofreading? I'm not a terrible speller, but my grammer, and such are bad, as you may or may not know, due to problem in my childhood. So the real queston I want to ask is this; are there anyone out willing to help me with my final proofreading? If you want to, I will understand. Thank you for your time.

1036253 It depends on what type of program you're using to write. If you're using a google docs, you can send me the link and I'll edit it. If you're using word, then that may not work unless you have a skype.

1036287 Well, I believe we might have a problem then. I use an outdated Mircosoft Works Word Processor, so I don't know if I could send the file to you.

1036333 Well, do you have a skype account, or maybe an e-mail?

I'm needing help with Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 of my Story, Small Horn. I have my main protagonist held against her will by a doctor who is scanning her for research into the human-to-equine/pony phenomenon. Already there are new changes to Sam/Samantha Horner aka Small Horn, including the pony ears, tail, hind hooves, and brown mane, as well as aversion to meat (Sam/Samantha was revealed in chapter 3 as becoming a vegetarian (after all, that sandwich he ate prior to his hospitalization did not sit well with him, thanks to Discord and his poison joke in the sandwich prank.

I think It was told by We are the Meta of some holes I want to fill when I edit the story, (if not, I can fix the holes in Chapter 4). My little Pony needs a rescue, and of course to save her parents, as well as the basic needs anypony needs (food, shelter, love, and tolerance).

I'm getting close to putting up my offering. Would anyone like a pre-read of it and report back to me with critique and petty insults?

Comment posted by SquareMuffin deleted Jun 25th, 2013

977905 That's... a really, really good guide. I love it! I shall now refer to it more often. Thanks!

Also, I am more than willing to help edit and proofread stories. Personally I would prefer the use of Google Docs over private showings of a story, since it would allow the discussion of edits and corrections without filling up the story's comments section.

Dash Attack
Group Contributor

I could use some editing help for The New Boss. Anyone willing to help.

I am currently writing a new side-fic, but I am scared of uploading it. My grammar is so bad that my last two friends / prereaders rage-quitted on my last story I wrote. I could really use some help.

Please? :fluttercry:

I'm trying to use google docs to help work on my new story, On Our Own, a sequel to my story, Small Horn. It deals with Small Horn being taken in by her cousin Harmony (played by Sparkler Hooves) upon her aunt's request. Harmony and her cousin got a long really well and she's going to teach Small Horn how to do magic.

However, I keep getting a blank page message. Sometimes, I can access google docs, and other times I cannot.

My Story, A gentle Breeze of Change, starring Zephyr the Pegasus, is also a collaboration with several people, including Vengeful Spirit as Chance, TehCanadianBrony as Gearswitch and Gizmo, and leafz Pegasus as Leaf Disk, an old pegasi friend of Zephyr who has found himself in the form of a human thanks to Discord. Contact me via Pm for more details.

I am willing to proofread someone's story. Just send a PM if you are interested.

I too, had trouble with my stories, until I requested the services of some proofreader. I acquired the assistance of Muse Scroll in exchange for offering his character an opportunity to appear as a cameo in one of my fan-fictions, A Gentle Breeze of Change, starring Zephyr the Pegasus.

The same offer applied for On Our Own, starring Little Horn, my Unicorn. I found some wonderful writers who wanted to offer an Original character to become a regular character in my stories. These characters help bring more depth to my main protagonists, Little Horn and Zephyr.

Little Horn is staying with her cousin, Harmony, while Zephyr has reunited with her twin sister, Autumn Breeze (Played by RavenLight). Zephyr has befriended two earth Ponies, Chance (offered by Vengeful Spirit as a guest role) and a regular character in A Gentle Breeze of Change is Strawberry/Berry Frosting, played by, well, StrawberryFrosting.

Ok guys, I have a story that needs editing bad. And as its my first sirious fanfic as well as a damn good idea, I really want a good editor or even a co writer. The fic is about TD, the main character in no, I am NOT a brony.
He fights dischord when he attacked celestia and ends up home thinking everything was at worst. a dream, and not able to remember his fight with dischord. He goes on with his life normally until his freinds al begin to change. His roommate's secret admirer and study buddy becomes cheerlee, his roommate becomes a changeling, his sister, little stronghoof (I think I remembered that right), and his sister's boyfriend a gryphon ambassador. I'm not the best writer and I really think I might even be better at editing if I didn't use an iPhone. Anyone think they want to help? It's called freindship transformed and is being submitted as I am typing this.

Edit: here I have it:

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/120382/freindships-transformed-or-td-coping-with-the-five-score-storyline

I gave it a read. Sadly English is my second language, so I can't in good conscience offer my services, but I thought I should give you my thoughts on the first chapter, at least.

Honestly? A good start and concept. A bit short, but all the mistakes I spotted where simple beginner's ones.

Take a look at this, it might help.

Other then that, I'm not familiar with half the source material. (Consider the group I believe you may guess witch part...) But more descriptions would be good. As it is now, you tell us more about how the main characters cane looks like, then himself... And since you've chosen a first-person perspective, this should really apply to everything.

We know what Discord, Celestia and a phoenix looks like... But how do our "hero" see them? Are they ugly or fair? Plain or beautiful? Even small stuff like that gives the reader a glimpse into the person they're supposed to be rooting fore's mind and character.

Anyway, good luck. I hope offered some help.

My eyes practically zoom in on various spelling/grammatical errors whenever I read something. I'd be more than happy to be an editor for anyone who's willing to PM me.

Since this thread's already around, I figured I'd post here rather than make a separate thread. I just wrote my first story (a oneshot in the 5S/4 verse) and could use some editing help. If anyone's willing to lend a hand, please do PM me.

If anypony wants an editor, PM me. :pinkiesmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 37