Straight Shipping 2,895 members · 6,611 stories
Comments ( 18 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 18

Equestria seems to have a lot more mares then stallions. How do you think that effects romance?

Really? I thought it was the other way around. Usually, there will be more females than males in a population (according to the 2011 Census, 51% of people in Britain were female and 49% were male).

That was supposed to be "a lot more mares then stallions" (I've edited my post).

I'm guessing today to multiple Mares isn't exactly looked down upon in Equestria and harems used to be the norm.

At my university, the female to male ratio was just over 2:1. Due to the fact that a university is not a closed system, the impact of this was not absolute. However, it did create a dating economy that favored men. Most of the guys I knew who were dating were dating someone from the university, whereas plenty of the girls were dating someone from a different school.

The ultimate story from this was probably when a student submitted a letter to the editor of the school paper, where she complained about the lack of attractive men at the university. (She even went so far as to say that most of the men looked like trolls who belonged under the bridge on campus.) This bitterness was almost certainly brought on by the dating economy.

So two things: First, dating outside of Equestria may be more acceptable than one might think, due to the lack of stallions. Second, some mares are probably not thrilled about this reality.

In fanfiction, this has generated a lot of lesbian ships (one story even stated this wasn't a particular problem thanks to magically induced pregnancies being an option).

If I remember correctly, the mare to stallion ratio is about 10:1, so I'd imagine there would be a lot of lesbian relationships, or possibly that harems are common.

From what I've read, this may have resulted in quite a few lesbian, bisexual or polyamorous relationships.

It's because FiM focuses heavily on mares, so seeing more females would be likely.

I don't think there ever was a huge ratio of mares over stallions, just it was aimed more at younger girls so there' be focus on that gender demographic. I've never actually seem much canon of there being an overabundance in females.

Yeah this is mostly fanon, and had a lot more to the fact that in the beginnings of the show the graphic artists had more mare flash assets to work with then stallion flash assets, so they filled out the background with mostly mares. As the seasons went on you actually notice that more and more stallions pop up in the background, because they built more stallion body parts.

If you look at the background ponies, there are a more mares then stallions. Yes, that's more for the early seasons then the later seasons. But did it ever reach the point where the gender ratio was one to one?

Edit: Here's an example, see this video at timestamp 3:13.

Herding concepts, maybe?

What's a herding concept?

It's to be reminded that the original public targetted for the show is young girls, kids - and so they focus perhaps more on girls, the mares, as a typical show aimed at boy would focus on well, the boys.

I look by example at Beyblade Burst, a shonen anime/boy show, look at how few female bladers there is...

Kinda like a harem? One male gets many females? There are several fics her about the concept.

There is nothing in canon that states this is a thing in Equestria.

To note: All the Mane 6's parents are all in monogamous relationships.

Well, there's nothing in canon to state how the gender imbalance effects romance. That's why I'm asking the question.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 18