• Published 17th Apr 2013
  • 2,227 Views, 50 Comments

Jump of the Iron Dragon - tosety



A dragon from the Fairy Tail universe finds himself in Equestria

  • ...
10
 50
 2,227

nine

The little hatchling hopped off Twilight’s back and approached me nervously.

“Hi. My name’s Spike.” He introduced himself tentatively.

“Greetings, little one. My name is Tallic. Do you have an elemental type? I am an iron dragon.”

“Uhm, I don’t know... I have teleportation magic. I can send things with my dragon breath, is that what you mean?” He responded hopefully.

“Not exactly, but it is an interesting ability, and is close enough to an answer to my question.” I replied, trying not to sound too condescending.

I continued to make small talk with Spike as I listened in on Twilight’s conversation with Celestia and Luna.

“Doctor Emerald and I are on the precipice of a revolution in medicine! His GAAC is simply amazing. We really put it through it’s paces in healing Steelskin. I just wish he wouldn’t be so secretive about how he makes it...”

“So, I hear the dragons of this reality eat gems. What do the local gems taste like?” I asked Spike, holding up my side of the conversation.

While he listed his favorite gemstones and the proper way to age them, I noticed Luna give a knowing smirk as Twilight went on with her annoyance with Emerald.

“Oh, Tallic, I almost forgot, I have the paperwork for becoming Steelskin’s big brother, and,” she said with barely contained enthusiasm. “We still have a program from before Miss Sweetheart started the orphanage. Apparently, there was a system of ‘foster homes’ where qualified adults would take care of orphans temporarily until a better permanent home could be found.”

As I started getting my hopes up, she suddenly got embarrassed. “The trouble is, that while the big brother program only needs three ponies who are willing to vouch for your character, the foster program needs ponies that have known you for at least a year.”

I breathed a sigh of relief at this. A year would not be that troublesome. I decided to ‘swallow it whole’. “So, what is the difficulty level of adoption?”

“Oh, well, while the big brother and foster plans need any pony to vouch for you, the adoption precedent for an unknown entity allows Miss Sweetheart and the town councilors to pick the ponies you need to get references from.”

“Ah, yes, I can see why that would have potential for trouble.” I chuckled. It was not like I was likely to be in this reality for more than ten years, so a foster arrangement would be a good thing.

“I will be more than willing to try and enter your dreams and review your life.” Luna offered “That would count as more than a year’s worth of knowledge. The other two would be more difficult to rationalize.”

“Fluttershy!” Twilight exclaimed. “She told me her stare backfired with Tallic and she ended up getting his emotions rather than impressing hers on him. I think, with the proper willingness from Tallic, she might be able to enter his memories and give a complete vision of his character. ”

“It sounds like a longshot, Twilight, but I trust your intuition.” Celestia commented.

“...Too bad there isn’t a third pony that could give a reference like that.” Twilight added with a sigh.”

“I think there is.” Celestia said with a smile.

“What? Who?” Twilight’s eyes went wide as I sat there watching their conversation bemusedly.

“Didn’t you say Pinkie Pie thought she knew him? You said in your letter that she was calling him Metallicana.” Celestia responded.

No! I will have no part with that creature.” I slammed a claw down, hoping that that would distract them from the look of terror on my face. I still had not fully recovered from our previous night’s encounter.

I was tempted to squish them as I noticed all three were barely containing their laughter.

“Don’t worry, she’ll calm down and leave you alone pretty soon. Also, I can deal with getting her affidavit.” Twilight said with a smirk worthy of a human.


Doc Pulse gave me a checkup and told me I was healing amazingly fast, but wasn’t ready to let me put on my chestplate yet. After that, he let my friends back in and helped me into a sitting position so I could talk with my friends a little easier.

This time, it was Miss Sweetheart that brought them in. My heart dropped when I saw her.

“How are you doing, Steel?” She asked sweetly.

“Fine.” I replied emotionlessly.

“Doc Pulse says you’re making a miraculous recovery.” She said, trying to cheer me up.

“Yeah.”

“Well, I’ll be here if you need anything.” She said uncomfortably.

I was relieved when she gave up, I really wasn’t in the mood to talk to her. I knew I was wrong for feeling it, but I felt like if it wasn’t for her, Tallic would’ve been around, and if he were there, he’d have saved all three of us from the tree.

“So, is there anything we can get you?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Nah.” I said in a happier voice than how I talked to Miss Sweetheart. “Miss Twilight’s already given me a few Daring Do books and ‘I, Golem’ she got me from Manehattan Public Library.”

“Ooh, you read Isaac Stallionov?” Sweetie Belle’s eyes lit up. “Have you read ‘Sunfall’? How about ‘The Stables of Steel’?”

“Oh great, the dictionary is at it again.” Apple Bloom said as she rolled her eyes. Scootaloo joined her in an eye roll, but Sapphire and Rocky looked at us with interest.

Sweetie Belle noticed their looks of interest. “He’s the greatest magic fiction writer ever! My favorite is The Stables of Steel. It’s about a detective that has to work with a golem partner thousands of years into the future...” She gushed, ignoring Apple Bloom and Scootaloo.


“Steelskin is recovering incredibly fast, but we’re concerned by metal forming in his muscle and bone structure where his injuries were. You don’t know anything about that, do you?” Twilight asked pointedly as we walked towards the hospital.

So she is accusing me of interfering with Steelskin’s treatment and assuming I will lie about it?

I rounded on her in rage. “Tell me, little equine, how badly was Steelskin injured?”

I waited just long enough for her to open her mouth before continuing. “How long would it have taken for him to heal under normal circumstances?”

“I’m not-” Twilight started to say.

“Were you not the one that told me that it was unlikely that he would make a full recovery?” I interrupted.

Stop and listen!” She shouted at me. “I am happy that you’ve helped him.”

That stunned me into silence for a moment.

“I’m just trying to find out the safety of it and any potential side effects.” She continued. “I didn’t mean to imply that you were trying to hide it.”

“You condone my meddling with the treatment of Steelskin?” I gave a little chuckle.

“Well, we’re not totally comfortable with it, but I think your heart is in the right place. I’m willing to see how it turns out.”

“I will accept that. As far as side effects go, the only ill effect I have ever heard about has been vertigo when being carried by transport vehicles.” I responded.

We walked the rest of the way in silence. Her pet dragon rode on her back the entire way.


“So, what’s your cutie mark mean?” Apple Bloom asked. Rocky and Scootaloo cringed.

My heart fell when I heard that and I blinked back tears. “It means I’m tough. Anypony else would’ve been killed in the train wreck or mashed to a pulp by the tree.” I responded gruffly.

“What’s with the crack in it?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“It means I hate it. I wish I died with my parents.” I said, almost yelling. I lost the battle with the tears in my eyes.

Keep his words in your heart, and you will honor his memory greatly. Luna’s voice rang through my head.

I suddenly noticed everypony’s faces and realized just how horrible I just was to them.


We arrived at the hospital and were met by Emerald.

“Tallic! Glad to see you, are you here for the physical we talked about?”

I sighed, knowing that I would be constantly reminded of that agreement. “Let me check on Steelskin first.” I replied.

“Very well, then, I’ll get my supplies.” With that, Emerald trotted off into the hospital.

I looked into Steel’s room and found him with foals his own age. He looked sad, but I decided his friends should be able to cheer him up. On my way back, I saw Twilight and Emerald examining a device with a needle as long as their foreleg. After a moment’s thought, I remembered something similar that humans called a ‘syringe’.

“So Tallic was telling me that he is responsible for Steelskin’s rapid healing, and the metal is a benign side effect.” Twilight was telling Emerald.

“Doesn’t he know better than to start a treatment plan without consulting a physician?” Emerald replied in an insufferable huff.

“So, little green unicorn,” I said, putting my snout against his and exhaling threateningly, “You believe a dragon should seek permission from you?”

Impressively, the green one stood nose to nose with me. “Do you have medical training, sir? Did you know for a fact it-”

“Okay, today we hope to get a blood sample, a scale to examine, and a stool sample.” Twilight interrupted nervously. Emerald set aside the syringe and pulled out two different types of tongs in an attempt to hide his nervousness.

“What is this ‘stool sample’?” I asked. The term seemed demeaning.

“Well, we need a sample of the solid waste you excrete.” The green annoyance explained.

“Excrete? Do you mean what I think you mean?” Any sane creature would have noticed the menace in my voice and posture and run in fear.

“Well...” Twilight said nervously. “We’re talking about...”

“Feces, turds, poop...” The green one volunteered unashamedly.

“No.”

“What?” They responded.

I glared at them, annoyed that they would be so rude. “No stool samples.” I growled, irritated that I even needed to say it.

Twilight seemed to accept this, but Emerald got huffy. “How do you expect us to know how to treat you in the future if you won’t give us a full-”

My glare stopped him mid-sentence. “I said, no stool samples. Fewmets are to be studied by predators. Do you hunt dragons? No? Then no stool samples.”

“Well, can we at least have a scale?” The green annoyance asked.

I grudgingly ripped one off of the inner surface of my foreleg.

“Thank you.” He said. “That will also be a good spot for the blood sample.”

I presented my leg to him and he attempted to stick in the needle.


“I’m sorry.” I said to my friends as they shifted uncomfortably. “I just can’t help but remember the train wreck every time I think of my cutie mark.” I blinked away tears and tried to pull myself back together.

Sapphire nuzzled me comfortingly.

It’s okay. She let me know.

“If ya ever need ta talk about it, any one of us would be happy ta lend an ear.” Applebloom said, glancing at everypony else as they nodded encouragingly.

“Thanks.” I said quietly.


Emerald set down the hammer and wiped his brow.

“Are you done acting like a mosquito?” I asked, continuing to keep myself from swatting him in annoyance.

“Racist.” He muttered quietly.

Where did that come from? I wondered. Well, only one way to respond to a comment like that. I thought to myself as a grin spread across my face.

“I am so sorry, I did not know you disliked that term... parasite.

Shock, indignation, and... fear? spread across his face.

"I'm the parasite? Don't you feed off the materials needed to build a civilization and offer little in return?" He answered, trying to act superior.

“I am fully willing to offer my services to any being civilized enough to accept it.” I retorted, my mood lightening as I found myself able to needle him.

“Oh? And how much have you taken by force?” He replied.

“Not as much as you assume.” I said with a smile.

He returned to work, bending the second needle even with the sharpness and hardening spells put on it.

“I think you should stop. Now.” I warned, recognizing my irritation was reaching dangerous levels despite the positive effect of our argument.

"Fine, just don’t expect much help if you ever get smokephesima or lava pox!"

“Not only have I never heard of those diseases, but I will face whatever it may be, up to and including the end of my life with the dignity of a dragon, not whining in fear like a prey animal.” I replied as I prepared to wing my way to my cave and cool off.

“Well, fine, I’ll remember that when you get sick.” He muttered.

“Hey, Twi.” A human called as he walked towards us. He was wearing a long coat and a pointy hat that obscured his features. He had an aura of magic about him and a mystical fox creature sat perched on his shoulder.

As I turned to face him, he turned his attention to me. “Hello, you must be Tallic. I’m Trace.” He said, tipping his hat.

“Greetings, Trace.” I responded. “That is an interesting familiar you have on your shoulder.”

The fox jumped off his shoulder, transforming into a humanoid on the way down.

“I am not his familiar!” The newly bipedal girl snipped at me.

“Well then, greetings fox maiden, and since you are not a familiar, what is your relation to this human?”

“I’m Fei, and he’s my dad.” She replied. “Oh, hi mom.” She added, turning to Twilight and giving her a hug. I resisted the urge to put a claw to my face. First a pony family with a human as father, now a human and pony with a fox spirit as their daughter. This place is getting almost as crazy as that other reality.

I caught a scent from him. Make that half human. Other heritage seems to be some breed of dark elf.

Suddenly the mild pricking sensation in my foreleg got more intense. I looked down, snarling, to see that Emerald had finally succeeded in piercing my hide. He was filling that syringe with my lifeblood and I had to suppress a fresh wave of violent annoyance.

Sadly, the little fox changed shape again and hid in the human’s cloak.

“Well, I think she just realised she’s talking to a dragon.” Trace said with a grin. “Guess I’ll take her in to the crusaders now.”

With that, he walked into the hospital. I noticed a surprising lack of damage to the front doors.

“Twilight,” I said, remembering something I should have asked the princesses. “Do you know of, or could you ask your princesses if there are any dragon rulers I must respect?”

“I’m pretty sure there aren’t any, but I’ll ask.” She reassured me.


I noticed a human that I hadn’t seen yet in the doorway. He whispered something to a little fox and it jumped off his shoulder and hid behind Scootaloo. The human left as Scootaloo pushed it forward.

“Don’t worry, he’s really nice.” Scootaloo said to it. “He’s just had some really bad things happen to him.”

“Steel, this is Fei. Trace, that other human, is her pa.” Applebloom said. “Fei, this is Steelskin, he was on the Ponyville Express last week when it crashed.” She got real quiet and her eyes started tearing up. “He was moving to ponyville with his parents and they... died... in the crash.”

“I know what that’s like.” Fei said quietly as she put her paw on the red patch of fur on her chest and her ears drooped. I don’t know why, but she was keeping her mouth still like ventriloquists do.

We all sat quietly, not knowing what to say. As I looked at that red patch on her chest, I had the feeling it was like a cutie mark. No, not like a cutie mark. Like my cutie mark. There is something special about it, but it feels like it’s too horrible to bring up.

“So, Fei, what part of Equestria do you come from?” I asked, trying desperately to change the subject.

“I’m not from Equestria, I’m from Gaia, Trace’s home reality.” She looked down before continuing. “I kinda followed him through the portal.”

My ears perked up. Now this is something I can get into. “What’s this ‘Gaia’ like? I’ve been hoping to find a way of asking the jumpers about the worlds they’ve been to. It sounds like it’ll be even cooler than the magic fiction books I’ve read.”

“Well, let’s see, the biggest difference would be the species. The kitsune like me can change from this form into a humanoid form to look like the other jumpers.” She said, talking slowly.

“And she can do illusion magic.” Sweetie Belle snickered.

“Shhh! An adult might hear ya.” Applebloom whispered.

“As I was saying,” Fei continued with a smirk. “There’s the kitsune like me. Also humans, some of whom can use magic, unlike Alex and Matt’s homeworlds. There’s also elves and dwarves, along with a few other smaller races that keep to themselves like us kitsune.

Sapphire’s attention was disconcertingly focused on me, rather than on Fei.


My faithful student, Twilight,

I am sorry, but it would not be wise or appropriate for me to undermine Miss Sweetheart’s authority by granting Tallic’s adoption of Steelskin by fiat. I do recognize this to be an unjust situation that is unfolding, but, sadly, if we are not careful, we can fix one injustice only to create a worse one. In our early rule, Luna and I ruled with a benevolent, but iron hoof. We both believed that we were crusaders of peace and prosperity, but our people feared us. Sadly, I even started treating my sister like one of our subjects. Remember what I told you about Luna’s descent into nightmare and my part in it, and let that stand as a lesson about how dangerous good intentions can be when not bound by careful consideration.

But do not fret, my dearest student, for we have seen Tallic and know his strength of character. He will undoubtedly prove himself to Ponyville just as the other jumpers have done.

As to your question, I have already informed The Proud Three of Tallic’s presence and my opinion of his character and potential behavior. If past experience is to be an indication of future events, they will be unlikely to rouse themselves for such a one as him.

Always glad to hear from you,

-Celestia

Author's Note:

Thanks again to my prereaders, especially Genosaber, the creator of Trace and Fei. Check his story out at The Mages Jump