• Published 17th Apr 2013
  • 2,228 Views, 50 Comments

Jump of the Iron Dragon - tosety



A dragon from the Fairy Tail universe finds himself in Equestria

  • ...
10
 50
 2,228

nineteen

I sat next to Tallic all through the night.

I was happy that no one tried to tell me to leave because I was willing to get in a cartload of trouble rather than leave Tallic alone.

Miss Sweetheart brought me some daisy sandwiches and hay fries with a hot chocolate for dinner and a whole bunch of blankets. She was kinda nervous and I knew she wanted to tell me I shouldn’t spend the night outside. I was real thankful she didn’t.

I felt bad that I drifted off to sleep pretty early, but at least I was close to him. I woke up cold and achy despite the blankets. I moved a little closer to the fire somepony had started during the night. The sky was brightening in the east and color was starting to come back into the grass and trees, so I knew Princess Celestia was getting ready to raise the sun.

I got up and stretched a little, then looked at the grass as my stomach told me it wanted breakfast. I wasn’t too proud to munch on a little grass to take the edge off my hunger.

Stronghammer saw me as I started to grab a few mouthfuls from a place that hadn’t been walked on.

“Cold?” He asked me.

“A little, but I’m okay.” As I settled myself back down next to Tallic, he settled down next to me.

“I’m freezing... Much more used to my forge blasting me with heat.”

I chuckled a little at a grown stallion admitting to be cold. “Yeah, I’m also a little sore from sleeping on the ground... Thanks for not telling me I should go into town and warm up.”

“Nah, I understand. You’re a protector and won’t let a little thing like cold get in the way of keeping your friends safe. I don’t even need to look at your flank to know that.” He smiled and tapped my chestplate. “Be sure to let him know that I’d give both hind legs to get more of those scales and I owe him another job. Those rods he gave me ended up being even better than I first thought.”

“You are welcome,” Tallic rumbled, startling us. “I have no need, but if Alex, Mac, or Trace need anything, be sure to give them a discount as if they were the one you were indebted to.” Tallic thought for a moment before adding “If you are inclined to make more for Steelskin here, that would also be an acceptable payment.”

“Hmmm... I’ll think about that and let you know,” Stronghammer replied.

The three of us sat and watched Celestia’s sun rise above the mountains.

Soon, Miss Sweetheart came trotting over with two steaming mugs and a tray full of hot breakfast.

“Here you go, boys. One cup of cocoa and one cup of coffee.” She hoofed us the mugs and set the tray of breakfast down in front of us. “I-I’m sorry, Tallic, I don’t know what I could get you that you would eat.” She seemed to be trying to look Tallic in the eyes, but kept glancing away nervously.

“It is not a problem, Miss Sweetheart. I am thankful enough that you have allowed Steelskin to spend the night at my side.” I didn’t care how cold or sore I was after hearing Tallic say that, all I felt was happiness.

The food was nothing special and cooked badly, but the taste didn’t keep it from being the best meal I’d had in a long time.


The night passed slowly as I sat in a completely indefensible field. Half my flight muscles were cut through on one side and every muscle was throbbing with the after effects of the electrical discharges. Even breathing was painful. Furthermore, the lightning that lanced through my head had set it buzzing and kept me from being able to smell the magics surrounding me.

I drifted in and out of sleep, unable to settle in due to the stress of my vulnerable state and my inability to pull more than a trickle of magic from my surroundings. The one comfort was that Steelskin was insisting on staying close by me. Strangely, it was not his ability to defend me that reassured me.

Especially because he was not yet trained enough.

The humans and several of the more accomplished ponies were also taking turns to guard me and monitor my condition.

Near daybreak, Steelskin woke up and we sat, watching the sunrise with the blacksmith until Miss Sweetheart showed up with lunch for the two of them. I felt an odd sense of happy warmth as she apologized for not bringing me any food. She even tried to look me in the eyes as she did so.

I heard a rustling from the forest.


I was leaning against Tallic’s foreleg as I saw Doctor Emerald come out of the woods.

He was leading a cragadile!

The fact that Doctor Emerald was leading a monster to us was strange and scary until I remembered what he was saying last night...

He was bringing Tallic food! I could barely restrain my laughter as I remembered what Tallic had told me about how he’d find a special somedragon.

“Hey, what are you doing? Are you trying to get us eaten? Get that monster away from Steelskin!” Stronghammer had gone up to Doctor Emerald and was almost yelling at him.

“I told you yesterday that Tallic will need some protein to help his muscles heal properly and repair the damage from those electrical blasts. Furthermore, most predators insist on killing their own food. Thus I am bringing him something he should be able to dispatch even in his weakened condition.”

Stronghammer watched in shocked revulsion as Saph’s dad lured it close and turned to Tallic.

“Greetings, Tallic, I have brought you a peace offering. I assume you will be hungry after the events of yesterday.”

My body was shaking as I watched Tallic’s expression go from disbelief to disgust and finally to horror. He grabbed the cragadile by the tail and I saw him wince as he threw it back into the forest.

Doctor Emerald stood there in shocked disbelief.


The bug pony brought me a mating gift!

I sat there, processing this insanity. The first thought I had was disgust at the prospect of mating with a non dragon. The second was how this creature expected us to mate. Finally, I processed the pitiful gift that was not only disgustingly weak but also barely more than a mouthful. I was offended that he could consider that crocodilian any kind of threat.

Another thing occurred to me. He was male.

Does he think I am female?

I was getting ready to attack him for the insults when I realized that he probably did not know dragonish standards. Instead, I threw the poor crocodilian beast back into the forest and glared at him.

The effort involved was minimal, but it still caused a bit of pain to my injured muscles. I stared death at him, ignoring the pain and hoping that he was smart enough to get the hint without me having to resort to violence.

Steelskin broke into helpless laughter. ”Doc-Doctor Emerald,” Steelskin took a second to try to rein in his laughter before continuing. “That’s how dragons propose to each other.”

The bug pony sat there with a shocked expression on his face. “You mean I...” Emerald sat back on his haunches in embarrassment.

"I'm-sorry-Tallic-I-thought-you-were-hungry-it-has-nothing-to-do-with-any-attraction-to-you at all! I'm simply looking out for my patients!" Emerald stumbled over himself trying to explain his actions.

This time, it was I who had to restrain laughter, especially due to how much it hurt.

“Yes, and if you want to speed my healing, send Twilight Sparkle to my cave and have her bring back some of the bars of iron Alex gave me.”


I was trying to hold back the hiccups I got from laughing so hard as Tallic and Doctor Emerald fixed their misunderstanding.

“...And, Steelskin, please go with her. I would feel more comfortable if you were in the cave with her.”

“But...” The words died on my lips as I looked at him. He had a pleading look in his eyes that told me ‘Please don’t argue.’

I gave him a goodbye nuzzle and turned to leave... almost running into Misters Reinhart, Roberts, and Brennan. Twilight Sparkle followed them along with Big Mac who was pulling a wagon.


“Greetings, Twilight. I was just asking Emerald here to relay a request to you.” I was perversely amused to see his discomfiture at his title being left off.

“Oh?” She turned her head as everyone else stepped aside for her to talk with me.

“Yes, if you are willing, I would request that you enter my cave and bring back several bars of the iron that Alex so graciously gave me.” I noticed her get uncomfortable at my request.

“Uhm... how would I get in?” Her eyes darted left and right, causing my anger to surface.

“Do not lie to me,” I growled, “Even a human would be able to sense your pitiful attempt at deception. They would not even need the knowledge that you have kept the key rune I had given you.”

She wilted under my fiery gaze as I continued to berate her. “Did you think I would not keep close tabs on the stones that gave free entry to my lair? Did you count me so dull witted that I could not count?”

Her tears brought me out of my rage as I noticed that her cowering was not fear but remorse.

I noticed the others had all gone into defensive stances in case I chose to attack her, even Steelskin.

“I-I’m sorry... I-I...”

Matt turned to Twilight and started berating her. “You stole from a dragon? Are you stupid? Towns have been burnt to the ground for that.” He put his hand up to his visor and shook his head. “Twilight Sparkle, I hereby dub you the dumbest smart pony ever.”

“One moment, Matthew. She did not steal the initial one from me. She merely did not give it back when the others passed theirs back to me. I saw her hold onto it and I could very well have asked her for it at that time.” I turned back to the weeping unicorn. “No, Twilight Sparkle, I am sorry. I reacted harshly to one who has shown me nothing but acceptance and respect. Please accept my utmost apology.” I hated apologizing, but felt I needed to make amends. This world of pastel ponies was making me soft, but I could not ignore Steelskin’s response either.

I took a deep breath. It had been decades since I had ever felt so many conflicting emotions, but the lessons of my first century were still easy to call to mind as I focused myself and brought my logical mind back into supremacy. “Steelskin, please accompany Twilight Sparkle. I trust her as much as I can trust any, but I am still a dragon and she is still entering my lair and carrying off my hoard.” I turned back to Twilight. “Please forgive my lack of trust. Dragon greed is inescapable for even the wisest of us.”

“Don’t worry, we’ll be back before you know it.” Her mood had done a complete turnaround and I looked on in amazement as she stood back up with a smile on her face. ”Steelskin, please get close, we’re going to teleport to my lab.”

With that, the two of them disappeared in a purple sphere of crackling energy and I was left with the males.


We landed in her basement and she quickly went over to a stand that had all sorts of gadgets and gizmos pointing at one of Tallic’s key runes.

“Well, here we go,” Twilight said as she levitated the gemstone into her saddlebags. “Time to go.”

There was a tear in her eye and she had the same forced smile that I often wore as she readied her teleportation spell again.


“So, Tallic, do you know if healing potions work on you?” Trace had stepped forward as Mac unhitched himself from the wagon.

“They have a very limited effect, most likely due to my size and stamina being so much greater than those whom the potions were made for.”

“Mana potions, too?” Mac was unloading two large kegs from the back of the wagon as Trace continued talking to me.

“I appreciate the sentiment, so let us find out.” With that, I used my talon to poke two holes in the top of the keg of healing and downed it quickly.

Immediately, the pain in my side lessened and I could feel the muscles stitch themselves together a little faster. Sadly, both effects wore off quickly with the wound only slightly less severe than it was beforehand.

I did likewise with the keg of mana and found my awareness spreading out as a familiar feeling of well being filled me. The buzzing in my head faded and I saw/smelled the forest, finding it brimming with chaotic magics. Well, that would be a good reason why I could not draw any substantial magic in for healing. It would be nigh impossible to pull anything useful out of that tangled mess.

I started to smile as I thought about how I had tried to gather magic from that, then started giggling at the sight of the lesser ones looking at me worriedly. Finally, I broke out in claw smashing laughter as I thought about how silly I must look. I felt some pain in my side, but did not care much. I had not felt so good since the party Pinkie Pie threw for Steelskin.


We arrived at the entrance to Tallic’s cave and Twilight Sparkle gave me the key rune.

“It should only work for one pony, so you’ll need to go in and get the iron.” She looked nervous and embarrassed.

It was kinda scary to be entering his cave without him here. I looked around at the empty walls surrounding the pile in the center as I walked slowly in. The stone was worn smooth in a semicircle around the pile even though he hadn’t even been living here very long. The only place that was still rough was directly in front. I quickly gathered up as many bars as I could hold and brought them out to Twilight before going back in to get one more load. As I trotted back in, I noticed a little alcove off to one side where the walls and floor had been rubbed smooth and some hay had been laid down in a way that reminded me of a pony sized bed.

Just looking at it made me feel happy and safe.


I was able to get decent enough control of myself to talk again.

“You should put this... stuff... in your mead.” I grinned stupidly at Trace.

Trace gave me a nervous smile. “I’ll remember that for next time you join us.”

“You know, it has been difficult to sleep in this field due to how open and unprotected it is, but with this, I shall probably sleep like a hatchling... In fact, I think I will settle down for a nap right now.” I felt my eyelids growing heavy and settled my head on my forelegs.

“Before you do, Tallic, may I please examine your wound? I will be using a simple second sight spell to see into the wound and make sure there was nothing missed when Steelskin examined it. I promise not to interact with your mind at all and most creatures can not feel anything while I use it.” Emerald seemed properly deferential, so I decided to give him permission.


We got back to the clearing and found everypony but Mister Reinhart and Big Mac had left.

“Well, we’ve found out how mana potions affect dragons,” Mister Reinhart said with a smile. “He got quite happy and then fell asleep. Basically similar to his reaction to ether ore, but with a little more drowsiness.”

“Drat! I was hoping to get him to designate Steelskin as his representative for Oté and Stoutheart’s trial.” Twilight sat down and frowned.

“One step ahead of ya.” Big mac smiled at her before turning to me. “Think ya can tell Princesses Celestia and Luna about what happened yesterday and stand as Tallic’s rep?” He placed a hoof on my shoulder before continuing. “I know ya want ta stay close, but I’ll keep watch while yer gone. Also Doctor Emerald’s done a look-see of the wound and it’s healing nicely with nuthin’ in it. Was a little bit o’ chaos magic he got rid of, but that’s it.”

~~~

I felt kinda nervous getting on the train. It was my first time after... Well, getting on the train wasn’t too bad, but I got skittish when they closed the doors. I was relieved, but a little embarrassed when Twilight Sparkle pulled me close to reassure me. We stayed like that as I got my panic under control.

Then the train got moving and I puked all over her.

She quickly summoned a bucket for me and I spent the whole ride curled around it feeling absolutely mortified at what I had done.

“What’s wrong with me?” My moan was cut off by another round of puking.

“Don’t worry,” Ms. Sparkle sighed. “Tallic said this might be a side effect from his magic.

I was too busy getting sick in that bucket to ask her about that.

It was a good thing she pulled me off the train because I didn’t even hear them call the stop.

~~~

“Private Stoutheart, Step forward.” The former captain nervously stepped forward. “You have been accused of contracting for the murder of a fellow sentient and a lawful resident of Equestria. Do you have anything to say for yourself?” Princess Celestia’s voice was filled with cold anger as she glared at the pony in front of her.

“No, Princess,” He whimpered as he sank to the floor and covered his face.

“Very well. You are hereby stripped of all rank. After examination and release by the Canterlot psychiatrists, you shall be granted a job at the quarry of your choosing for the span of ten years. You shall take no jobs in the area of defense nor hold any martial weapon during that time. You shall also stand and watch as I pass judgement on the one you hired to attempt this abominable act.” At the end of Princess Celestia’s pronouncement, both her and Princess Luna stomped their right forehoof twice in unison.

Stoutheart looked at his cutie mark before quietly stepping backwards. It was obvious that the sword and shield cutie mark would have no place in a quarry and I doubted he’d ever be allowed back into the guard.

Princess Celestia turned to the donkey standing next to Stoutheart. “Donkey Oté, step forward.” Unlike the pony, he walked forward proudly and unflinching in the face of the princesses. “You have been accused of the attempted murder and grievous injury of a lawful resident of Equestria and of attempted grievous injury of a foal. Furthermore, your reckless attack with area effect lethal magics endangered multiple citizens of Ponyville. Do you deny these charges or the charge that you possessed and used weapons with unlawful and abhorrent enchantments?”

“It would be pointless to do so as you could call countless witnesses against me. I do contest the status of lawful resident on the monster I was asked to dispatch. The foal was charging me and I claim self defense.” Everypony gasped as he said this.

“You are claiming self defense with a spear magically enchanted with not only sharpness, but also heart seeking and pain enhancement against an unarmed foal?” Princess Luna’s voice was an angry whisper.

Princess Celestia looked at her in concern.

The donkey ignored the question and continued talking. “On the matter of the townsponies, I lay their peril at their own hooves since the smart response to a dragon attack would be to run in the opposite direction. If they had done so, they would not have been close enough to have been in any danger.”

“Very well then, I declare you guilty by your own admission and remand you to the custody of the Psychiatric Ward at Canterlot Hospital. They shall evaluate your mental state and decide how best to heal your obviously twisted and corrupted mind. You are to never hold or use any type of martial weapon or armor from henceforth.” Celestia turned to me and asked “Do you have any objections to this decree, Steelskin?”

I kinda wanted him to be punished worse, since I was still mad at him, but felt kinda bad saying so. Mom always insisted I needed to forgive and the princesses knew what they were doing, so I shook my head.

Princess Celestia glanced at Princess Luna and took a deep breath before calling out “Let it be recorded that in the presence of one victim and the representative for the second, we the Royal Pony Sisters, affirm this judgement.”

As I was instructed, I joined them as we stomped our hooves.

The donkey was led away by some guards while Stoutheart followed with his nose brushing the floor.

As Stoutheart trudged slowly out of the court room, a dark gray unicorn mare with a silver mane motioned for him to come over.

"C-Captain Nightshade?"

"What you did was dumb, foolish even, but you know, everyone deserves a second chance. When you're done with your punishment, come and see me."

A barely visible smile appeared on Celestia’s face as she looked kindly at them.

~~~

On the way back, it was just as bad, but this time, I puked on Spike.


“Sir, are you sure we’re armed well enough for this fight? I saw the report on what that donkey had.”

“What we have is what we have, soldier. Or would you rather ask the princesses to do our job for us?”

The guardspony wilted under the gaze of his senior officer. “No, sir, I’m just a little nervous. If that stuff is what they sold, I’m worried about the stuff they kept for their own defense.”

The leader of the six pony strikeforce checked everypony’s position before giving the go-ahead to break down the door of the two room cottage.

The lead unicorn swept his gaze over the entire room, looking for threats. Everything had been cleaned out except for one cobbled together device sitting in the middle of the room.

There was a bag sitting on the floor with a tube suspended above it. Connected to the tube was a thin wire running to the ceiling and back towards him. He watched in horror as the tube started descending towards the mouth of the bag.

”ABORT!”

His horn lit up as he triggered the teleportation spell he had drilled into him ever since basic training. The tube fell into the bag and reality tore. Thanking his drill instructor for the milliseconds he had cut off the casting time, he gazed into the void. Things started flying towards the rip as a bubble of magic crackled around him.

After the spell activated with a pop, he sank to the grass, eyes closed. He dimly registered the sound of the cottage falling in upon itself.

As he sat there, he heard his commander call out his comrades’ names.

“...Bright Shield.”

He looked up at the officer as his name was called. “Uninjured.”

“Thank Celestia, that was close. What was it?”

“Not sure the details, but it was two different magically expanded containers set for one to fall into the other. Tore a rift in space.”

Author's Note:

I would like to thank whoever came up with this for the idea for the chaos cultists' booby trap.

Thanks yet again to my prereaders and the other memverse authors for their dialogue suggestions and tweaks.