• Published 17th Apr 2013
  • 2,227 Views, 50 Comments

Jump of the Iron Dragon - tosety



A dragon from the Fairy Tail universe finds himself in Equestria

  • ...
10
 50
 2,227

fifteen

I found Scootaloo, Rocky, and the rest of the crusaders at their clubhouse. They had this strange boardgame spread out on a table in front of them.

“Well, I guess I’ll just be an earth pony fighter... hey Steel, how’s it going?” Rocky glanced up from a scroll in front of him. “We’re trying a game Sweetie got, it’s called Oubliettes and Ogres.”

I had heard of it and thought it sounded interesting, but it was too geeky for the friends I used to have. It didn’t take much convincing to get me to make a character. Sweetie Belle hadn’t been a Game Master before, so we decided to skip the whole ‘meeting in a coffee shop’ thing and go straight to the oubliette.


I sat in my cave, contemplating recent events. I had told Steel the night before that he should seek out Miss Sweetheart if he was having trouble sleeping and told him he needed to spend some time with his friends and relax his mind, magic, and muscles after the day we put in.

I also thought about that new mare, Miss Butterscotch. While the style was obviously bipedal in origin, it was well crafted to pony physiology.

That mare is a wealth of knowledge and preparation. I will need to find a way of repaying Alex for most likely hiring her, as well as all else he has done for Steelskin.

I debated possible ways of payment and was mulling over a concept some more civilized humans I had spent time with had introduced me to. It was a reversal of an old dragon saying ‘punish it forward’. They had called it ‘pay it forward’ and instead of finding some hapless stranger to take your aggressions out on, you were encouraged to reward a random stranger for a good deed someone else did for you.

I resolved to ask Mac what things the town might need done that I could volunteer for. I drifted into an afternoon nap wondering where this benevolent nature came from.


“You enter the cavern to see a giant dr...” Sweetie Belle looked over at me in embarrassment. “Ursa major... sitting in the middle of the room.” She rolled her runestone, looked back at the rulebook. “It sees you. Roll for initiative.”

“Natural twenty!” Scootaloo pumped her hoof in victory. “Plus my dex gives me twenty-four.”

“Thirteen,” Apple Bloom said.

Fei looked at hers. “Nine”

Twenty-one. Saph let us know.

Rocky smiled. “Eighteen.”

I rolled mine and looked down. “Three,” I announced.

Sweetie Belle looked up from the paper she was writing on. “Okay, so Scootaloo’s human gets first go, followed by Sapphire’s unicorn, Rocky’s earth pony, Apple Bloom’s owlbear, the ursa, Fei’s warg, and Steel’s pegasus.”

“Awesome, my bard casts silent image to make a copy of Fei’s rogue,” Scootaloo said excitedly.


I awoke to a green filly whipping me with a sock.

I sat wondering if I were dreaming. I could not think of anything that surprised me more. Not even the sorcerer that accompanied the party without telling them that he had no usable spells for the mission.

The filly continued to hit me with the sock...

How did she get in here?

I cannot remember how long I sat there, trying to figure out how to react, but eventually I heard a call from my door.

“Excuse me, Mister Tallic? Is a green filly in there?” A cyborg female was standing at the entrance, just outside the barrier. “I was told my daughter was heading in this direction. By the way, my name is Eleanor.”

Yes, strangest reality yet.

“Yes there is, would you like to come in?” I tossed her a key rune and she walked in, facepalming at the sight of the little filly snarling and hitting me with said sock. I was mildly concerned for her face due to the force with which she accomplished this maneuver.

“Is this some sort of pony mating ritual? She seems to be too young for that, but by my egg, I cannot think of any other explanation.” I sat there, staring at the strange feral filly that just hit my shoulder with her interesting choice of weapon.

“Uhm... no... no it is not... apparently she heard something about delivering a dangerous beast to her beloved. Something about the more dangerous the better... I have no idea where the sock came from. I expect I’ll be apologizing to some annoyed mare.” Eleanor turned toward the filly and switched to the voice of maternal command. "Shining Lunar Aspect, what do you think you are doing?"

"'I'm gonna subdue the dragon so I can show Silver Spoon that I can take care of her." She hit me across the muzzle with her sock as she said this.

Eleanor’s hand, which was starting to loosen, was immediately back with full force.

"I dread to ask this,” She mumbled through her fingers, “but where did you get this idea?"

"I heard somepony” She paused to give me another whack, “saying something about that being a courtship thingy..."

I continued to ignore the filly’s attempts at an attack and decided to ask Eleanor for more information. “So, who would this beloved of hers be?”

“Spoony”

The green filly stopped assaulting me with the sock to glare death at her mother. “I told you not to call her that!”

Eleanor smirked, but gave no other indication that she had heard her daughter. “Grey filly, goes by the name of Silver Spoon. A large dog would probably be a decently fierce beast to her... if it were actually part of pony courtship.”

“What would be her response if the little one here successfully brought me to her?” A wonderful little joke was forming in my mind.

"Heh, I think that'd depend on what kind of warning she had. Sudden, I'd wager on pants wetting terror-if she wore pants. Forewarned, it'd come down to how you were acting. Nervous, but not terrified would be my guess. She's not as delicate as she seems from what I've seen."

I looked back to the little filly and grabbed the sock out of her hoof. “You should fill the sock with something. Rocks are usually a good idea.”

I motioned over to a corner where there was a pile of rocks and handed the sock back to her. She filled it up a little too full. I then held my head low enough for her to get a ‘good’ hit in and I dramatically fell down. I am pretty sure I even outdid Fluttershy’s faints.

She did a remarkable job hogtying me, though her choice of material was almost as laughable as her choice of weapon.


“Okay, you’ve defeated the ursa, what do you want to do?” Sweetie Belle asked.

Fei leaned back with a smile. “Let’s see what kind of hoard it had. We’ll probably get a lot of aluminum and a few magical items.”

“What? Fei... ursas don’t have hoards,” Rocky argued.

“My cleric will heal everypony,” I said.

Sweetie looked a little uncomfortable at first, but suddenly brightened. “Actually, the ursa wasn’t the original owner of the cave. The hoard belonged to a dragon the ursa drove out.”

“Can our next adventure be to try and find the dragon and give him back his hoard?” I felt a little silly, but was feeling bad for the dragon despite it being just a game and almost certainly a quick change by Sweetie.

“Uhm... I don’t think I’d do that good of a job making up my own adventure,” Sweetie replied, looking embarrassed.

“Can I try? I think I might be able to,” Fei volunteered.

I glanced over at Scootaloo and she was smiling at me!

I remembered what her dad said yesterday and I felt like this was the best day of my life.

All of a sudden, I felt anger and jealousy then my vision went all green for a second.


The cute little thing spent almost an hour trying to drag me out of my cave before she tied a rope around my neck, untied me, and got me to ‘wake up’.

“Come on, dragon, get moving or I’ll hit you again,” ‘Spect snarled.

I barely restrained bursting out into earth shaking laughter as I followed her out of my cave and down into ponyville. She kept tugging on the rope imperiously as I walked slowly, milking out this adventure for all it was worth.

Eleanor was not looking too amused. “Please, Tallic, don’t let Silver Spoon’s friends hear the nickname ‘Spoony’. She’d never live it down.”

“That will depend on my judgement of her character,” I responded.

Eleanor’s sigh told me that she did not have high hopes for that.


I stared at Sapphire with all the love in my heart. “You are so beautiful.”

I noticed Scootaloo out of the corner of my eye. She looked confused and hurt, but I couldn’t get over how wonderful Sapphire was.

“Sapphire, do ya wanna get a milkshake?” I asked dreamily.

Sure.

Her voice was like an alicorn. I could listen to it all day and all night.

“Yeah, let’s all get milkshakes.” Applebloom was looking at me strangely.

Sapphire and I looked over at Applebloom with a little irritation.

“Yeah, sure.” I turned my gaze back to Sapphire’s beauty as we walked out and took the path to Sugarcube Corner.


Eleanor and I spent most of the walk discussing the various realities that we had jumped to. I found it quite interesting that she was taken to various realities that were analogs of games she had played. She was interested in Cybertron and the prevalence of human populations in virtually all of our jumps. I assume she was looking for patterns.

When we got to Silver Spoon’s house, we were greeted by Miss Butterscotch.

“Tallic... Nice to... see you again.”

I bowed my muzzle, pulling little ‘Spect off balance. “Greetings to you, too, Miss Butterscotch. Thank you again for sharing your expertise yesterday. Shining Lunar Aspect here is wondering if Silver Spoon could come out to play.”

The little one seemed confused by this and was only able to respond with “Yeah, what he said.”

Miss Butterscotch took a few moments to process this before going off to call the little one’s friend.

“Are you sure this is a good idea?”

I was not sure if Eleanor was talking to me or to her daughter, so I decided to pretend I was not being questioned.

“Hi Spe...” The grey filly froze at the sight of me.

“Do you like him? I dragged him down from his cave for you.”

The poor thing just stood there, completely frozen in panic.

“‘Spect, honey, you’re scaring your friend. How about we let the dragon fly back to his cave now. I think you’ve proven your... bravery.” Eleanor glanced between her daughter and the poor filly I was scaring.

Just as I was about to speak, I smelled Steelskin... and mind control magic.

Steelskin trotted around the corner, following the unicorn filly that he had rescued the other day.

“Greetings, Steelskin,” I said, trying to keep my voice unconcerned.

“Oh, hi Tallic...” His gaze drifted back to the unicorn as if he already forgot that I was here.

The rest of his friends trotted around the corner looking concerned.

The smug look on the filly’s face pushed me over the edge much faster than normal.

”To your father! Now!”

I was pleased with how the little witch jumped.

Yes sir.

She quickly trotted off, followed by a magically drugged Steelskin. I took up point directly behind them until we got to her front door.

I glared at her while she mustered the courage to open the door and call for her father. I did not rush her because I was enjoying the mental pain she was feeling in anticipation of this meeting.

“Oh, hello hon... hello Stee...eelskin... Uh, hello Tallic.” Emerald was obviously seeing what I saw, and from his reaction, I could tell he knew how and why it happened.

“Explain.” I put every ounce of cold fury I was feeling into that word.

“Sapphire, release him right now and apologize.”

Sapphire, looking like she were about to be fed to me, touched her horn to Steelskin’s forehead, causing him to stumble backwards in confusion.

I’m really sorry Steelskin. I just wanted you to like me like you like Scootaloo... and I got jealous... and I didn’t mean to do it, it just happened.

Sapphire’s eyes filled with tears.

“You stupid dragon, I didn’t tell you you could leave! Come back or I’ll hit you some more!”

‘Spect lept up and hit me across the muzzle with her sock. I responded by slowly turning to face her and pulling the sock out of her grip.

“Not now. Go play with your friend.”

“Okay.” ‘Spect removed the licorice rope from my muzzle and trotted back towards the other filly’s house. “Thanks for playing along, Mister Tallic.”

“Hold on, ‘Spect. Please go tell Pinkie we need Bon’s best chocolates,” Her mother said.

I noticed all the ponies looking embarrassed and looking everywhere but at ‘Spect and I.


We met Tallic as we were walking...

Where were we going again?

Sapphire is so beautiful and clever.

I couldn’t think straight... Tallic wanted us to go to see her dad...

I wonder if he wants me to ask her dad if we can get married.

When we got there, everypony was talking and looking mad, but that was okay, because I could just sit there and look at her.

She surprised me when she turned to me and touched her horn to my head.

What was I thinking? I like Scootaloo, not Sapphire.

I stumbled back a step. Sapphire was apologizing to me for something, but I was too confused with what was going on to understand what she was saying. All I could get out of it all was that I was acting and thinking stupidly and it was her fault. When she was done, she turned and walked over and sat behind her dad, head down, tail between her legs, and crying.

“Hey, you okay? What happened?” Pretty much everypony was talking, so I don’t know who said it. Actually, I think they all said at least part of it while they were talking over each other.

I sat there for a moment, trying to get my thoughts straight. “Yeah, I think so...”

I noticed the strange human with blue glowing lines on his skin. He also had a metal arm and two metal legs that reminded me of automail limbs from some of the magic fiction stories I’ve read. He also had these two large bumps on his barrell.

I wonder if that’s where he keeps the power supply.

Suddenly, I was hit by a blinding headache and fell to my knees.

“Don’t worry, that’s just a headache from the mind control magic. ‘Spect is getting Pinkie to bring some chocolate, it’ll help with that.”

He lifted me to my hooves.

“You think you can stand? By the way, my name’s Eleanor.”

“Yes, thank you, Mister Eleanor.” Everypony broke into laughter.

I sat there, confused and hurt.

“I’m a girl,” He-I mean she said with a smile.

“Oh... Sorry, I didn’t know there were any female humans.” I sat there, mortified. I was just glad she didn’t slap me. I’ve seen a few mares get violent when somepony mistook them for stallions.

“No problem, I’ve had some missteps telling mares and stallions apart.” She smiled kindly.

“So, who got... Oh, Steelskin... I guess Saph’s grounded. Well, here’s Bon Bon’s mind control special.” She passed me five chocolate balls.

Through the haze of pain, I noticed Alex and Matt behind a strangely calm Pinkie Pie.

“How much do I owe you?” Eleanor was opening a half-saddlebag.

“Nothing. There’s a special tab set up for the orphans and this sort of situation is completely covered under the ‘no payment necessary’ clause.”

I popped one of the chocolates into my mouth.

Bliss.

The headache faded to the point where I forgot about it as the chocolate melted over my tongue.

Actually, the world itself faded as the chocolate melted over my tongue. I had never tasted chocolate like this before. It was the perfect balance of sweet and bitter with hints of some spices or cinnamon or something.

“Steel? You okay?”

I realized I had been sitting there with my eyes closed and a giant smile on my face. I opened my eyes to see Applebloom looking at me with concern.

“Yeah,” I said just before tossing the next piece into my mouth. I still had the headache, but didn’t care very much. I had my friends who cared about me, Tallic, who I’m pretty sure was the one who got whatever happened to me dealt with, and this chocolate.

“Eat up, you should eat all five. I suggest chowing down on all but the last.”

I nodded at Eleanor and proceeded to eat the next two much faster than I wanted to.

I got a general idea over the next hour of conversation that Sapphire’s magic had started coming in and she had a crush on me that sparked an unintentional love spell. I was kinda angry that she didn’t confess it, but Eleanor reminded me how embarrassed she must’ve been.


“Hello, Emerald, Tallic, what’s up?”

“I was just about to hear what Emerald’s daughter did to Steel.” My voice was quiet and restrained, but from how they both shifted nervously, I could tell my rage was seeping through.

That would make sense. I am so full of rage, I do not even care about the close proximity of Pinkie Pie.

Alex’s hand went to his sword, but he kept his body language and voice lighthearted. “Okay, this sounds like a very personal conversation, let’s head over to Sweet Apple Acres.”

Once we were out of earshot, Alex piped up.

“So, Tallic, what happened?”

“Emerald’s daughter used a mind control spell on Steelskin to make him love her. I wish to know why a hatchling would know such a spell and why she would feel free to cast it.” I took a moment to glare at Emerald before continuing. “If she were an adult, this would have been met with severe consequences.”

“Don’t threaten my daughter!”

“Hey, guys, let’s calm down a little. So little Sapphire cast a love spell on Steelskin? Sounds like Tallic has a right to be angry, but I’m sure you’ll be dealing with her and making sure nothing like this happens again, right?”

“Of course. She says it was accidental, and it’s the first time her powers have manifested, so I believe her... though I will still be giving her a lecture and some extra training to control these little blips.”

“Now, I do think you need to let Tallic in on your little secret so that he can understand why this could be accidental.”

We had reached a shady area big enough for me to settle down off the road and Alex stopped. He gave Emerald a friendly, but pointed look. We all settled ourselves in. Alex was watching me, most likely for a hint of violence, Matt was standing between the hatchlings and myself, trying to look relaxed, and Emerald was looking around anxiously.

“Right. As some of you know, I am of a race what most call: ‘Changelings’. What we call ourselves is... irrelevant I suppose. Not too long ago in Equestria’s history, on the one hundred thirty-seventh day of Spring in the one thousand and third year after the defeat of Discord, our Queen, her majesty Queen Chrysalis, planned an invasion by attempting to usurp the throne from within by enthralling Shining Armor. I won’t go into further details, but needless to say, Shining and Cadence, with the help of Twilight Sparkle, drove them out... except me. I was trapped in the basement of a house when they set that spell off. During this attack, it was thanks to a certain Pink pony we all know…” He looked around and saw everyone’s unsurprised faces. “...I see she has touched us all in a unique way. Yes, she requested I change into many things, and that annoyed me... I mean I have never felt annoyance until I met her.”

“So, Princess Luna found me there when she sensed my magic. Instead of sending me away, she took me in. I was with an egg at the time, you see.”

Matt blinked. “Well, didn’t see that coming. So you’re female but you’d rather be male?”

Emerald rolled his eyes. “No, Matthew. I am neither, technically. But that is a different matter of discussion. Luna fostered my development as an individual creature and gave me access to education. I was already an intellectual among my people, you see, so you can imagine my joy proving my skills and being appreciated for my genius.”

Alex cleared his throat. Emerald looked at him, then resumed his story. “So... yes. I was assigned to go here after I received a case about Alex, who needed my help to address his magic allergy. And I have resided here since, while raising my little one.”

“And your daughter?”

“Her actions were the result of instinct and an innocence that I attest is genuine. She truly didn’t know better because that ability is a part of her. I didn’t expect it to come out this early. Most matriarchs do not develop powers so quickly, but it appears Sapphire is an early bloomer, I suppose. But that isn’t the point. I will admit, however, some selfishness may be a part of Sapphire’s actions, but in no way intending to harm Steelskin. Now that she understands, she feels genuine guilt for what she did. Matriarchs can get a bit clingy to creatures they...’like.’”

He looked at Sapphire with fatherly kindness.

Sapphire looked apologetically at Steelskin.

“So given this, I take responsibility as her parent for now seeing as I should have prepared for this possibility.”

Alex then intervened. “That is what any father should do for their kids, but you said yourself, her power occurred much earlier than expected.”

Emerald nodded. “I know. But it’s what a father should do. Mr. Tallic, I assure you I will make sure Sapphire takes responsibility for her actions and exercises responsibility for having such powers for now on.” He looked at Sapphire. “You understand, daughter? You and I will have some serious lessons to learn.”

Sapphire nodded.

“Now, what do you have to say?”

Sapphire looked at me.

I liked Steelskin a lot. I have a crush on him. But he has a crush on Scootaloo. I got jealous and... I did that. I didn’t know I could, I just did. I am very sorry, Mr. Tallic. Please let me make it up to you and Steelskin.

Emerald raised his head in pride. “That is a better attitude.”


As my headache was clearing, I started realizing how scary everypony was being. Especially Tallic.

“I accept your apology and your promise that this will never happen again.” Tallic turned to me and lowered his shoulder. “Still, I wish to have a doctor... perhaps Miss Introspective...”

I hoped I’d get to see Dino again.

Hey, wait.

“Mister Da-Roberts! I met Dino at Fluttershy’s house, and she said he belonged to you... can I come visit him sometime?”


To my gracious employer,

When hunting a target as lethal as the one you have hired me to deal with, patience is of the utmost priority. I must study its habits, look for weaknesses and watch for the best opportunity to strike. If you continue to try to rush my actions, I will have no choice but to terminate our agreement.

Oté

Author's Note:

Eleanor and 'Spect are from World Tossed Wanderer
Emerald and Sapphire were created by Discord'sAdvocate
Also, Emerald's backstory was written by him and Spect supplied the idea for the sock incident.

More Mr. Welch
12. Must learn at least one offensive or defensive spell if I'm the sorcerer.

In case anyone is wondering, the CMC took these characters:
scoots-human bard
SB-GM
AB-owlbear druid
saph-unicorn mage
fei-warg rogue
rocky-earth pony fighter
steel-pegasus cleric