• Published 17th Mar 2013
  • 16,034 Views, 741 Comments

What Didn't Happen - Zeg



Chasing a mystery into the past, Twilight finds an Equestria that is different from what she remembers. Will she be able to set history back on track by fixing what didn't happen, or is this Equestria destined to take a different path?

  • ...
22
 741
 16,034

A Darkness within the Light

What Didn't Happen

by Zeg

Chapter XI – A Darkness within the Light

Moondancer walked at a steady, brisk pace to her destination, lacking anything resembling a uniform. She only wore a determined look and a large square patch of white bandaging taped to the left side of her head, concealing the welt that she had received earlier.

She had been trying to ignore two headaches as she made her way toward the Canterlot Palace throne room, one from being bucked in the head and the other that was currently chasing her on four legs. This auburn toned unicorn stallion had been following her for quite a distance now, ever since she took it upon her own initiative to excuse herself from the medical infirmary shortly after she regained consciousness there and could see straight enough to walk. She had gotten confusing reports about other ponies seeing her near the throne room that clashed with the fact that she had been brought to the infirmary upon being found passed out near Chrysalis’s empty prison cell. Obviously, she wasn’t in the throne room, so she intended to find out exactly who was, and already had a good idea of who it would be.

Despite Moondancer’s quick stride, the stallion had managed to keep up with her and had continued to insist that she return to the infirmary. Moondancer found herself wondering how he had managed not to tangle his hooves in his white doctor lab coat as he cantered along side her.

“Captain Moondancer!” he shouted when he finally grew impatient enough from being completely ignored. She stopped and shot an angry glare in his direction, which caused him to flinch back a step. An uneasy silence lingered for a few seconds before he cleared his throat. “I did not give you permission to leave the infirmary.”

“I heard you the first dozen times. I have a job to do, Doctor Heart,” Moondancer said flatly before sidestepping him. Moondancer knew that the palace’s head physician, Noble Heart, was only doing his job as well, but at this moment she considered hers to take priority over his.

“As do I!” he said in protest as he once again trotted along side her. “Head injuries are nothing to simply shrug off. I don’t think you realize just how serious—”

“Doctor!” Moondancer snapped as she came to a sudden halt, drilling him with her gaze. “‘Serious’ doesn’t begin to explain the situation we are in at this moment.” She momentarily squinted her eyes closed, raising a hoof to the side of her head when it throbbed in protest at her raising temper. Letting go a hiss of air through her teeth, she slowly opened her blinking eyes when the pain receded a bit, noticing the disapproving scowl on the Doctor’s face. “Look,” Moondancer started in a much shallower tone, “just let me appraise the situation at least. I promise I won't go starting a hooffight with some changeling or anything like that. I just want to make sure things are being handled and clear up the confusion.”

Doctor Heart slowly closed his eyes as he shook his head, letting go a long sigh. “Fine,” he said as he looked back to her. “But, once you’re satisfied, I want to see you back in the infirmary. Doctor’s orders,” he said as he pointed an accusing hoof at her.

“Yes sir,” Moondancer begrudgingly said as she gave him a slightly exaggerated mocking salute before carrying on her way.

Moondancer didn’t have much further to go, and soon found herself coming up on her destination, noticing a group of Nightguard standing just outside the doors of the throne room. Gale noticed her approach first, and when she recognized the captain’s natural appearance out of her uniform, she quickly trotted up. “Captain!?” she asked, sounding both surprised and a bit confused. She had expected that the Moondancer that had locked herself in the throne room wasn’t the real one, but she had obviously not expected to see the sorry state that Moondancer was in. “What happened?” she asked, eyeing the bandage taped to the side of her head.

“Got bucked in the face and robbed,” Moondancer said flatly as she continued on her path to the door. “Tell me what’s going on here.”

Gale quickly fell in beside her superior officer, walking with her back to the double doors. “Well, somepony who looks like you came to the throne room and reported Chrysalis’s escape, but obviously it wasn’t you.”

Moondancer stopped when she reached the doors, glancing up at them with a hard look for a few seconds before looking back to her Sergeant. “Why is this door closed?”

“Right after her Majesty gave the order to search the palace, somepony sealed it from the other side. The other you and some guards were still in the room when it closed.”

Moondancer looked up to the door once again, looking it over as if searching for something. “Is there a reason why aren’t we tearing this thing off its hinges?”

“It’s shielded. The entire room is. Twilight Sparkle is inside right now, trying to undo the shield from the other side. She was able to get around it somehow, and told us to wait for her.”

Moondancer remembered all too well about Twilight’s ability to teleport past shielding and warding spells, so that little piece of information alone told her that the Twilight they had seen was likely the real one, which brought some relief to her mind. “How long ago?” she asked.

“Ten... maybe close to fifteen minutes now.”

Fifteen minutes. The words echoed in Moondancer’s mind as she considered the number. She had felt the power that radiated from Twilight once before, literally felt it, and that was when she had merely let her temper slip. If she were serious, there was no way anything should have been able to survive against her for fifteen full minutes, unless something was very wrong. “No, that’s far too long,” Moondancer said. “I want as many unicorns as we can get at this door now. I don’t care if we’re supposed to wait, we’re bringing this thing down.”

“Quite a few of our casters are away,” Gale noted.

“I know that, Sergeant. That doesn’t change my orders.”

Gale nodded with a quick salute, and spread her wings as she crouched to the floor. However, just before she took off, she stopped in place when the sound of the double doors clicking and then slowly creaking open filled the halls. The sound’s pitch lowered as the doors slowly swung open until they finally came to a stop. The few Nightguard that had been waiting stared into the throne room with a varying degree of shocked and surprised looks.

Twilight Sparkle stood just on the other side of the door. Far behind her in the hall, a group of Nightguard were placing some restraints on an unconscious changeling, and even further toward the back of the hall a beam of moonlight spilled in through a shattered window, glinting off of the pile of glass shards that littered the floor below. And nowhere was their Queen nor Chrysalis to be seen.

Moondancer quickly approached Twilight, frantically looking about the room. “Where are they?” she asked as her eyes ended up looking to Twilight.

“Outside now, through that window,” Twilight said as she turned to point back toward the shattered window frame. “I didn’t see which way they went.”

Moondancer’s gaze followed Twilight’s hoof toward the shattered window. She cantered down the red carpet, stopping once she had made it to the center of the throne room. From her vantage point, the only thing she could see outside the window was a small patch of the star filled sky. “Gale, I need the skies searched,” Moondancer started as she turned and began to canter back to the room’s entrance.

“Wait!” Twilight’s voice rung out through the room, drawing the attention of every guard toward her. “There were some changelings mixed in among the guards,” she explained as she pointed at the unconscious drone that was being secured nearby. “We have no idea who we can trust and who we can’t right now. Sending the Nightguard out without making sure who is who could cause mass confusion, which is exactly what they would want.”

The four Nightguard that had been within the room with Twilight hoisted the bound drone up, and tossed its limp form over the back of one. Everypony else watched as the four left the throne room, taking the prisoner with them. Moondancer let go a heavy sigh, touching a hoof to her injury. The annoying situation was causing it to throb again. “So, what do you recommend?” she asked, looking back to Twilight.

“The entire Nightguard force needs to be checked. There’s no other way to be sure.”

As much as she hated to admit it, Moondancer knew that Twilight was right. Sending Nightguard to aid the Queen was a gamble that could cost her life if they turned out to be changelings. “Gale,” Moondancer said tiredly, causing the Sergeant to cantered up next to her. “Get the word out. All available Nightguard are to drop what they are doing and report to the barracks immediately. No exceptions.”

“Yes ma’am,” Gale said with a salute, and then spun around on her hooves. She quickly made her way out of the throne room, raising her voice to the rest of the Nightguard standing nearby. “You heard the Captain, spread the word!” she commanded, setting the other Nightguard into action.

Moondancer remained behind in the throne room, alone with Twilight. She felt that she should be out there with the rest of the Nightguard, but the pounding headache was reminding her that she had promised to return to the infirmary once she had gotten the situation under control. “I’m trusting your judgment call on this,” Moondancer said, looking to her side. “We can’t charge in blindly with enemies right under our hooves, but every second we delay the search for our Queen is another second she’s in very real danger.” Moondancer grunted, touching her hoof to her bandages by reflex.

Twilight looked back, her eyes tracing over the bandages. “Are you alright?” she asked.

“For somepony that got bucked in the head, yeah I’m just fine,” Moondancer said with a heavy layer of sarcasm. “I really don’t have time to be injured. Somepony needs to be taking care of this so our guards can get out there and start the search asap.” Moondancer glanced about the throne room, noticing her armor setting on the floor nearby. She considered putting it on for a moment, but the throbbing in her head was giving her second thoughts.

Twilight stepped up to Moondancer’s side, gently hooking one of her hooves just on her shoulder. “Why don’t you head to the infirmary and let me handle organizing things at the barracks,” she offered.

“That’s... a good idea. I’ll take you up on it,” Moondancer said through a sigh. Standing had proven to take a bit more out of her than she thought it would, and the injury was making itself well known with the headache that steadily pulsed in her skull. She knew she wouldn’t be any use if she forced herself to pass out. “I want to know right away if the situation changes any at all,” she said as she began to make her way to the throne room doors.

“Of course,” Twilight replied back. She walked out of the throne room herself slightly behind Moondancer, watching her as she walked down the hall. A small smile graced the enchantress’s muzzle as she watched Moondancer leave before she turned to walk in the opposite direction.

---

Chrysalis had kept the word that she had given to the Nightguard Captain, and had taken to organizing the scanning of the Nightguard at the barracks. Not only did she need to keep up the facade that she had going for a while longer, but drawing the entire Nightguard force back was necessary. She needed only a few well timed minutes of clear skies to make sure her drones that were now carrying the true Twilight Sparkle away would not be seen.

There were dozens of Nightguard to be checked, and the unicorns that knew the detection spell well enough to use it were directed to check each Nightguard individually, using low levels of the spell as to not exhaust themselves too quickly. Unicorns were assigned to rotations so they would be able to rest after having cleared as many guards as they were able.

Chrysalis wasn’t about to allow any of her drones to be found among the guards. Those who had been part of her swarm had already received orders to pull back when the order to gather at the barracks had been sent out, and were now waiting within the caves beneath the city. She knew that the lack of turnout at the barracks wouldn’t go unnoticed, but by the time the rest of the Nightguard figured out what was really happening, they would already be too late to put a stop to it. All she needed to do now was misdirect them just long enough to buy the time that she needed.

Only six of the Nightguard present in the barracks were actually hers. They were necessary for the next step of her plan, and now she needed to get them cleared without anypony noticing what they really were, which would be easy enough for her to accomplish. All she needed to do was choose the right unicorn for the job. She considered her possibilities as she looked to each unicorn, watching them closely as they used the spell. She took notice of one young stallion whose armor markings indicated his ranking as a cadet. When she noticed him having difficulty, her mouth twitched in a slight smile for a short second before she approached.

After straining to charge the spell, the cadet managed to release a small white pulse from his horn. The pulse washed over the guard in front of him in a small wave of white light, to no effect. “You’re clear,” he said in a tired voice, motioning for the guard to stand off to the side. He took a moment to close his eyes and catch his breath, opening them slightly as he looked down at the floor. Noticing the pair of violet hooves standing in front of him, he furrowed his brow before looking up to the next pony in line. He froze when he came eye to eye with the Queen’s enchantress staring back at him.

“Having problems?” Chrysalis asked.

The cadet stared back dumbly for a few seconds longer before finally shaking his head. “Oh, um. No ma’am, I-I mean, Enchantress. I’m fine,” he said. “Wow, I didn’t expect you to actually come talk to me personally. I’ve heard a lot about you. You’re the one who rescued the Nightguard from the Everfree Hive, right?”

Admiration, Chrysalis found herself thinking. A powerful emotion closely related to love that she could potentially draw power from, and it practically radiated from this stallion. She felt the urge to just bask within the energy he gave off, but quickly put her cravings aside. She had an important task to perform, and the timing would be equally important. She reached out a hoof, placing it upon the cadet’s shoulder to pull him aside. “Come here, I think you should rest for a minute,” she said as she led him over to the side of the room, away from any prying eyes.

“Oh! But, I’ve only cleared two so far,” the cadet said, seeming a bit ashamed. “I-I’m sure I can do more. I just need to get used to the spell. I’ve actually been trying to practice it, but I learned it secondhoof from one of the other unicorns that you taught it to. Here, maybe you can tell me what I’m doing wrong.”

Before Chrysalis could protest, the cadet managed to cast another quick burst of light from his horn. She raised her hoof, guarding her face from the power that crackled over her foreleg. She sucked in a sudden hiss of air at the stinging electricity that skittered over her foreleg as the spell reacted to her hidden form. The irritating sting of the spell was something she was familiar with, and even though she had been caught unaware by the sudden casting, it wouldn’t leave her with anything more than a numb feeling where it touched her. The real concern was that the cadet had just seen the spell’s reaction.

The cadet’s eyes went wide when he saw the telltale signs that the spell had just detected a changeling. His mouth opened to call out to the rest of the guards to warn them, but no sound ever came out. Instead, he only stared back quietly at the enchantress with his mouth agape as the white’s of his eyes began to glow a dim green color.

Chrysalis’s horn was also glowing a very dim green as she focused her stare deep into the cadet’s eyes. “Is there a problem?” she asked quietly, raising her brow slightly.

The cadet seemed to struggle for a moment, his body shaking and his mouth moving, but only a few quiet strangled sounds ever made it past his lips. Eventually, he seemed to give in to the strange power causing the tension in his body to slowly fade away. “I-I... no, there’s... no problem at all,” he said as he seemed to stare off into a blank space in front of himself.

“And what about these guards?” Chrysalis asked. Her six guards approached just behind her, and the cadet’s eyes wandered over to look at them. “Are they clear for duty?”

The cadet slowly nodded. “O-Of course.”

Chrysalis smiled slowly, and allowed her spell to fade out. As it did, the cadet’s eyelids fluttered, and he shook his head as he came out from under the spell’s effects. He looked up to the enchantress when she placed a hoof on his shoulder again, seeing her gentle smile. “You’re doing a good job, and you’ll get better with the spell in time. Just don’t over do it,” she said as a friendly warning.

The cadet puffed his chest up a bit at the praise, and couldn’t help but smile himself. “Thank you, Enchantress. That means a lot to me.”

---

Moondancer had found her way back to the infirmary, and had eventually found herself resting on a rather uncomfortable examination table in a quiet little room. Doctor Heart had decided he would rather be cautious, insisting that she rest for now where she could be watched. Between the thoughts of just how uncomfortable the thin padding of the table was, she had also been thinking about how the situation had unfolded, and the more she went over it in her mind the more she began to notice that something didn’t seem to add up. As usual for her, it had started as an uneasy feeling that she couldn’t quite pin a detail to, but she knew something was wrong and her mind wanted to solve it.

When Sergeant Gale decided to report to the infirmary looking for her, Moondancer had used it as her chance to get herself excused from the infirmary again. Reluctantly, Doctor Heart had agreed to it, but only so long as Gale remained with Moondancer and returned her immediately if she showed any sudden signs that her injury was causing her pain.

“Thanks for coming to my rescue,” Moondancer said as the two of them left the infirmary, walking into the empty halls of the Canterlot Palace. It was odd to see them deserted, but was necessary given the situation. The palace personnel had been ordered to their own quarters until further notice, and all guests were now being kept in safe areas until the crisis was properly handled.

“That isn’t exactly why I came, Captain,” Gale said. “The Nightguard that have been cleared have returned to searching the palace grounds, but we have another problem.”

Moondancer let go a disgusted groan, stopping in her tracks. She brought a hoof up to rub at the bridge of her nose, already feeling the headache returning, but tried to ignore it as she slid her hoof down her muzzle and let it fall to the floor with a loud clack. “What now?” she asked.

“We’re short on guards, by a considerable amount.”

Moondancer shook her head. “I already knew that. The guards we sent to the Everfree will be returning in less than a day. Nothing we can do about it.” Moondancer began walking down the hall again as she added, “That isn’t a problem as much as it’s just bad timing.”

“That’s not what I mean, Captain,” Gale said as she quickly cantered up beside Moondancer, causing her to stop suddenly. “A third of our remaining force just vanished when the call was made to report to the barracks.”

Moondancer stared blankly at her sergeant. “A third...,” she nearly whispered in response. She hoped she had just misheard.

“Yes. And there’s been no sign of a single changeling or our Queen anywhere within the palace so far. The only one we’ve been able to confirm was the one that we captured in the throne room, but it’s missing now and I can’t track down the guards that took it away.”

Moondancer felt a chill overtake her entire body. The implications of what she was being told were devastating. The Nightguard had been compromised, and no one had even noticed. She thought back once again to the throne room, and what she had noticed there. Suddenly, the details that she had been pondering over earlier didn’t seem so strange. “Gale... tell me something,” Moondancer started calmly as she stared down at the floor. “Did anything seem out of place about the throne room?”

“Frankly speaking, Captain, nothing is making a damn bit of sense right now. We had pegasi in the sky, at least one of them should have noticed if her Majesty suddenly came crashing through the throne room window, but nopony reported seeing anything at all.”

Moondancer slowly nodded, looking up toward Gale. “They were in there for a while, and I can’t imagine they were having a chat over tea. But, one broken window is all there is to show for it.” Moondancer looked off down the distance of the empty hallway before them, her mind pondering over another detail she hadn’t really noticed until just now. “And somehow, Chrysalis found enough time to take off my gear and stack it in a nice neat pile on the floor in the middle of a fight before she went flying out the window? I’m not sure I believe that.”

“So, what are you thinking?”

Moondancer looked back to her sergeant. “I’m thinking that we need to find the one pony who knows exactly what happened in that throne room.”

---

“They left together?” Moondancer asked a young cadet. She and Gale had found their way to the barracks, hoping to quickly track down Twilight to get some answers. However, all they had found were a few of the unicorn guards that were still recovering from having performed the scans.

“Yes ma’am!” the cadet answered back, holding a stiff salute far longer than necessary. He hadn’t recognized his superior officer right away without her uniform, and the young stallion seemed a bit on edge after having been caught off guard.

Moondancer arched an eyebrow at the cadet. “I did say at ease, so... relax.” The cadet reluctantly lowered his hoof, but still stood rigidly at attention in front of Moondancer. She rolled her eyes and let go a sigh. “Do I have to make it an order?”

“No ma’am!” the cadet said, his hoof flinching a bit as he almost did another salute, but caught himself.

Moondancer ground her teeth a bit as her eyes rolled around again. “Just... start over from the beginning, okay? You saw the enchantress here and she approached you. Then what?”

“Yes, well, I was having some problems with the spell. I think she noticed, so she pulled me to the side to help me with it.”

“Pulled you to the side?”

“It was only for a minute. I showed her the spell so she could see how I was casting it, and... then she....” The cadet just trailed off to silence. He frowned as he stared forward at nothing, as if he was mentally searching for something but simply couldn’t find it.

“She... what?” Moondancer asked, verbally prodding the cadet.

“Oh, um.” The cadet seemed a bit embarrassed at his slip, and quickly tried to come up with some sort of answer. “I’m sure she showed me the proper way to cast it.”

“You’re sure she showed you?” That’s an odd way to put it, Moondancer thought.

“Yes. Um, it’s a little hazy. I think I’m just a little tired.” The cadet’s mannerisms seemed to be even more nervous than they had been just a minute earlier. Moondancer picked up on one of his back hooves tapping quickly against the floor, and she caught his gaze quickly darting about.

“Uh huh,” Moondancer said. “And the guards that were with her?”

“I cleared them,” the cadet said rather confidently.

Moondancer tilted her head slightly. “All of them?”

“Yes ma’am.”

“...All at once?”

“Uh... well no,” the cadet said, slightly taken aback. “I don’t think so.” He furrowed his brow as the frown returned to his muzzle. Once again he seemed to be struggling with something. “I-I did clear them, Captain. I swear.”

“I never said you didn’t, I’m just making sure I know all the details. Is there anything else?”

The cadet seemed to relax slightly, and then began to nod. “Uh yes, actually. She mentioned that if anypony came looking for her that she would be headed to the train station. After that, she left with the guards.”

“I see.” Moondancer silently considered the details for a short moment, before looking back up to the cadet. She approached him, and reached out a hoof to his shoulder to give him a pat. “Get some more rest. And thank you.”

“Yes ma’am!” the cadet responded, giving her a quick salute.

Gale and Moondancer left the barracks soon afterwards, walking back out onto the palace grounds. Moondancer stopped when she noticed that Gale had stopped following her a few steps back. “What was that?” Gale asked.

Moondancer let go a heavy sigh, and then glanced up toward the star filled sky. “Yeah... what was that. I don’t think he was trying to lie, but you could tell he didn’t even trust his own words.”

“I’m guessing you didn’t assign any guards to Enchantress Twilight.”

Moondancer nodded, looking back to Gale. “You’re guessing right, and I never asked her to go to the train station either. I asked her to organize things here at the barracks, that’s it. As far as I know, she had no reason to leave the palace.”

Gale started back toward Moondancer for a moment in silence, and then just shook her head. “What’s going on here?”

“I can’t say for sure yet, but I’m not liking the idea that I’m getting,” Moondancer said. She had a lot of loose pieces before her now that didn’t quite fit together, with Twilight’s behavior standing out as the strangest thing among them. “There’s something I need to go take look at in the throne room. Gale, I need you to do something else for me in the meantime.”

“Anything, Captain.”

“You have a signal flare on you?” Moondancer nodded approvingly when she saw her sergeant lift her wing and touch a hoof to the pouch attached to the side of her armor. “Good. I want you to find Twilight and those guards and tail them. Don’t approach, just watch.”

There was only a slight second of hesitation before Gale nodded in response. “Understood.”

“If you see anything that indicates they might not be who they appear to be, you use that flare. Got it? And keep this to yourself for now. I don’t want to broadcast to the rest of the guard that we’re watching her. That would probably just tip her off somehow.”

Gale knew that there was only one reason why she would be asked to follow Twilight. “Captain, do you really think she’s one of those things?”

That was exactly the idea that Moondancer was getting. She simply didn’t know how to prove it yet, nor could she explain where their Queen or the real Twilight could have possibly gone, but if a third of the Nightguard could just vanish into thin air, making two more ponies disappear wouldn’t be too much more of a stretch. “We don’t know for sure who or what came out of that throne room yet,” she said as she took off toward the palace.

---

Gale had taken up a position on a rooftop a safe distance away from the train station. She peered out over the edge of the roof, her forehooves hooked over the peak as she laid there. She had kept her sight focused on Twilight Sparkle, who was standing among a multitude of other ponies as they waited for the next scheduled train. Her other targets, the six guards that she had been told were with Twilight, had been nowhere to be seen. She wondered if there was any significance to that, or if the cadet could have simply been mistaken. Either way, she had decided to keep her sights on Twilight for now and not rush to any hasty conclusions.

Taken by itself, seeing somepony waiting on the train to arrive wouldn’t be odd. However, if Twilight were traveling somewhere, there were chariots that she had access to, so there was no need for her to be waiting to board a train. If she were waiting on someone to arrive, that also wouldn’t seem odd except for the timing. They were in the middle of a crisis, and being who she was, the Queen’s enchantress should have been focusing on the search for the Queen as her number one priority.

Gale’s attention snapped to her side quickly when she heard something land on the shingles near her. She had been so completely focused on watching Twilight that she hadn’t noticed another pegasus approaching. He was a fellow guard, a private based on his armor markings. “Get down,” she quietly hissed, causing him to duck down low to the rooftop. He pushed himself along the roof top in a belly crawl, working his way over until he was beside Gale looking over the roof’s peak as well.

Gale had already returned her attention back to the station down below, keen to keep her focus on her mission. Twilight still hadn’t moved from her spot. The private glanced down to the station as well before leaning in close to Gale.

“Sarge,” the private said. “I was sent with an urgent message from the Captain.”

Gale grimaced. There was no possible way anything urgent could be good. “What is it?” she said, keeping her eyes focused down below.

“Captain wants you back at the palace asap. Said it’s important.”

Gale broke her gaze from watching her target for only a second to shoot a confused look at the private. “She wants me back there now? What’s it about?”

“Didn’t say, other than it as for your ears only.”

Gale glanced back down below. She wasn’t sure what her captain would have to say that would be for her ears only, unless she had been worried about information getting into the wrong hooves. “I’m kind of in the middle of something else right now that I probably shouldn’t just abandon,” she said, still undecided on which of the conflicting orders she should ignore.

The private’s eyes darted down to the station below, then back toward Gale. “I’m supposed to relieve you so you can head back. I’ll keep an eye on things here.”

That would decide it. “Alright, you know what to do here then?” Gale asked as she looked to her side.

“Yes ma’am, I’ll take it from here,” the private said, responding with a quick salute before looking down to the station below.

Gale hesitated for only a second before pushing herself back away from the roof peak. She slid down the shingles until her hooves left the roof, and then opened her wings to catch herself. She stayed low, flying just above the street between the buildings for a ways before pulling up into the night sky to mask her exit.

The private had watched her leave, and once he saw that she was far enough away, he glanced back over the peak down to the station below. His eyes came in contact with the enchantress, who was staring right back up to him.

She smiled, and slowly gave him a single nod to silently thank him. The private nodded back to her, and then slipped out of view.