• Published 8th Mar 2013
  • 2,613 Views, 218 Comments

MLPU: The Amazing Spider-Mare - TheInvincibleIronBrony

  • ...
8
 218
 2,613

Unspoken Farewells

Scootaloo looked in the mirror of her bedroom. Inspecting the black dress she was going to be wearing for the funeral. Her eyes were drawn to the small smile on her face.

“Didn’t think I’d see a sincere smile from you again.” Scootaloo turned around to see Cup Cake standing in her doorway.

“Sorry. I guess smiling is a little inappropriate for today,” Scootaloo said apologetically.

“Nonsense. Your uncle would have loved to see you smile,” Cup said comforting her niece. “Now come on. Your friends are waiting downstairs.”

Scootaloo nodded and followed her Aunt downstairs. Dinky was wearing a dress similar to Scootaloo’s, but a bit frillier and Featherweight was wearing a black suit.

“It’s about time. Didn’t figure you’d be the kinda mare who takes an hour to get ready,” Featherweight joked, smiling.

“Oh, funny. Just cause I’m not girly doesn’t mean I can’t look pretty,” Scootaloo replied, pretending to be insulted.

Dinky rolled her eyes at the pair. “And doesn’t she look pretty,” the unicorn said, nudging Featherweight.

“What?” he asked confused.

“Don’t bother. It’s hopeless.” Everyone turned to see Pinkie walk into the room also dressed in formal wear, followed by the twins. Pound kept messing with the tie he’d been made to wear.

“Yeah I know,” Dinky said in defeat.

“What are you talking about?” Featherweight asked quirking an eyebrow.

“It’s mare stuff don’t worry about it,” Cup Cake said. She’d been quiet up until now, surveying the damage to the bakery.

“Don’t worry. We’ll rebuild it. I’ll help pay,” Pinkie said laying a hoof on her friends shoulder.

“Right. With your travel agent money,” Scootaloo said, giving Pinkie an accusing look.

Pinkie rolled her eyes at the young hero. “We’ll discuss it later. Come on the cab’s waiting outside,” she said, corralling everypony to the door. Cup gave the dining room one last look before following the others out.

///////////////////////////////////////////

The ride to the funeral home was uneventful and Scootaloo was antsy through most of the preacher's eulogy, but it finally came time for those close to Carrot to say their final goodbyes.

Cup led her children to the front of the room and laid a hand on her husbands body, a single tear rolling down her face. The twins went next and Scootaloo could swear she saw Pound slip one of his favorite toys into the casket. Pinkie followed after them. She simply looked down at the stallion who’d been like a father to her and smiled, probably recalling some happy memory.

Finally Scootaloo went up to the coffin and looked down at the stallion who’d raised her. He looks at peace, she thought. Scootaloo glanced around to make sure no one was paying too close attention to her and pulled down the neckline of her dress, revealing the red shirt she was wearing underneath. “I’m gonna make you proud,” she said as she let go of the fabric and made sure it was covering her shirt, before walking back to her seat.

////////////////////////////////////////////

The service came to an end and Carrot was buried in the cemetery outside. No one said a word as the coffin was lowered into the ground, but everyone who knew Carrot seemed incapable of recalling a bad memory of him. Even Scootaloo hardly remembered the fight they’d had just a few days ago. It all seemed irrelevant now.

“So what’s next?” Dinky asked the pegasus mare.

“More of the same, I guess. Find the crooks and put em away,” Scootaloo replied. “Which reminds me,” she said turning to Featherweight. “I need a new mask. The other one sorta got lost.”

“Sure. I can already think of some improvements to make,” he replied in a hushed tone.

Scootaloo smiled. “Not much to improve. I rocked that mask,” she said confidently.

“Yeah and then lost it,” Dinky pointed out.

“It’s no big deal. I think I could make a living making costumes for heroes,” Featherweight defended.

“Except I’m the only superhero in Manehattan,” Scootaloo countered.

“For now,” Dinky replied. “More will come. Just wait.”

“I’m actually more worried. More heroes means more villians,” Featherweight said.

“We’ll cross that bridge when we get there. For now let’s just enjoy the calm,” Scootaloo said as she relaxed in her seat. She surveyed the crowd and noticed Pinkie was missing. Where’d she get to?

/////////////////////////////////////////

Pinkie watched the rest of the funeral from a distance.She knew command was going to have her head and she’d be asked to return soon. She didn’t regard the suited mare who approached her from the left.

“Hello Rarity. What brings you to Manehattan?” she asked not looking at the white unicorn.

“Oh the usual. The fashion shows and high society events,” Rarity replied. “Also the director wants me to bring you back for your debriefing. He is not very happy with the way this assignment played out,” she informed.

Pinkie sighed. “Ya know I remember just a few years ago when this job could still be fun,” Pinkie replied sadly.

“The director also wants your notes on Spider-Mare. Do you think she’s ready for recruitment?” Rarity asked as a police car drove by sirens blaring.

Pinkie looked back at where she’d last seen Scootaloo sitting, the seat now empty. “No. She’s new to the game. Let’s give her a few years,” Pinkie said as she started walking away from the cemetery, Rarity close behind.

///////////////////////////////////

Scootaloo followed the squad car downtown, where a group of thugs was hold up in a bank with hostages.

“Well, it’s showtime,” she told herself as she swung down.

Author's Note:


by: TheInvincibleIronBrony

And all of the following people have my gratitude for your support in my first published work. Thank you. I apologize for not providing links to your user pages, but I'm kinda lazy and that would take a while.

Co-writer-Avenging Hobbits

Proofreading and grammar-
Thy Obsessive Freak
Dashie257
The MysteriousFilly
NightMoon60606

Ideas and other Contributions-
Twilight Mercer
DragonDash
Bahatumay
Zillabrony
Cover Image-Spikesmoustache on Deviantart

Advertisers
The Sci-Fi Ponies
Crossovers
The Writer's Group
Action Stories
American Bronies
Hero Crossovers
HEROES
Heroic Productions
Marvel Crossovers
Marvel Universe Project
The Marvel/DC Co-Fan Club

Favorites
bahatumay
Azard
Kencolt
Manes
0nyx GuardBrony
Gojirafan101
XhaneWolfe
DerpyHoovesfan55
Guardsman_Sparky
king121222
Thy Obsessive Freak
Trusty Hooves
RainbowPie15
Butterfield Pancake
spider-pony32
Razzle Dazzle
SpyketheRAWRCat
spideremblembrony
everyday we shufflin
Night_Moon60606
UnorthodoxMethods
Nopony28
Dashie257
Twilight Mercer
Aki_Iokua
star1wars3
Charon
decembuary
Goldensky
digimonfrontier77
Judoon_Warrior
ZillaBrony13
Pino Graham
Arcadia Arcanum
StudyingTwilight
Avenging-Hobbits
Bronixus
martyrex