• Published 8th Mar 2013
  • 2,612 Views, 218 Comments

MLPU: The Amazing Spider-Mare - TheInvincibleIronBrony

  • ...
8
 218
 2,612

Unfair

“Well this sucks,” Scootaloo grumbled as she walked through the halls of school. Her day had started out great, she didn’t feel like vomiting, her vision had somehow cleared up and her reflexes improved exponentially, all of this overnight. It had been somewhat jarring at first, but she’d been slowly getting used to it, deciding not to freak out and ruin a potentially good thing. No, the actual reason she was feeling frustrated was because she had searched high and low for Dinky, and hadn’t seen her anywhere. The unicorn had been completely absent through homeroom and even though Scootaloo went to Dinky’s locker between classes, she still couldn’t find her. “Where did you go?” she muttered to herself, as she made her way to the courtyard for lunch.

She paused in the doorway, scanning the courtyard for any signs of the missing unicorn. Her eyes brightened when she caught sight of Dinky sitting at a table on the far side, a large book open in front of her. Scootaloo trotted up behind her and leaned in. “What are you reading?” she asked.

Dinky jumped in fright at the sound of her friend’s voice. “Don’t do that,” she said swatting Scootaloo away rather harshly.

“What’s wrong Dinky? Where were you all day?” Scootaloo asked, sitting next to Dinky.

Dinky turned to answer but instead blinked in shock. “Wait, where are your glasses?” Dinky asked confusion in her face.

“Oh I don’t need them anymore,” Scootaloo said, smirking at her friend’s reaction.

Dinky raised an eyebrow. “You mean to tell me that your vision improved so well you no longer need prescription glasses? And this improvement took place overnight?”

“Yeah, pretty much. Now, are you going to answer my question?” Scootaloo asked as she pulled a lunch bag out of her backpack.

“What question?”

“The question about where you were all morning, I looked all over the place.” Scootaloo said as she rummaged through the lunch bag.

“I was avoiding you.” Dinky said rather bluntly, causing Scootaloo to look up, eyebrow raised.

“Why?”

“Because, Scootaloo, you could have gotten the both of us into an incredible amount of trouble yesterday!” Dinky said, sounding quite angry. Some of the students nearby turned to stare. Dinky noticed them and blushed slightly, sitting back down rather awkwardly.

Scootaloo put an arm around Dinky’s shoulders. “Relax, Dinky, I’m pretty sure nopony noticed me. Look,” she leaned in towards Dinky. “I’m sorry that I got you worried, honest. I didn’t mean to. Sometimes I get a little too curious for my own good. Are you sure you didn’t get in trouble?”

Dinky shrugged her anger fading. “I don’t know yet. I’ll probably find out tomorrow,”

“And what might that be,” A disturbingly familiar voice sneered from behind them.

“What do you want Babs?” Scootaloo groaned, not even bothering to turn around.

“Oh nothing. Just wanted to check up on my two best pals is all,” Babs replied, giving Dinky a noogie.

“Hey stop!” Dinky shouted, trying to escape the unwanted contact.

“So make me,” Babs challenged, undeterred by the unicorn’s efforts at escape.

Scootaloo jumped out of her seat and shoved Babs away from the grey mare, sending the slightly bulkier mare stumbling away. “Fine. I’ll make you,” Scootaloo said glaring at Babs.

“Scootaloo don’t,” Dinky said, putting a hand on Scootaloo’s shoulder. “She’s not worth it, trust me.”

Babs meanwhile, had stood back up, a scowl on her face. “Oh so you wanna play now, huh Scoots? Fine,” She growled, charging at the smaller mare.

Scootaloo waited until Babs was right in front of her before she sprang from the ground, spinning in the air and landing behind Babs, sweeping her leg out behind her as she did, causing Babs to trip and skid across the ground.

Babs got up, shaking herself off, and looked at Scootaloo in confusion. Then she heard a familiar sound. Laughter. A crowd had begun to form around her and Scootaloo. But the other students weren’t laughing at Scootaloo this time, they were laughing at Babs.

“Shut up!” Babs shouted. The group instantly fell silent, the laughter dying away. Babs then turned towards Scootaloo, who was standing at the opposite edge of the ring the mob had formed. Babs’ eyes narrowed. “That’s it. I’m sending you home in a body cast!” she roared as she once more charged towards the small pegasus.

Scootaloo once again waited patiently. As soon as Babs was a foot away from her, Scootaloo side stepped the charge. She then grabbed Babs around the waist and swung the earth pony around. Babs flew through the air towards an occupied lunch table. She slid across the metal surface, trays of food getting knocked aside as she passed. She fell off the table with a loud thump.

Everyone turned in unison towards the table where Babs had fallen, all smiling. Babs stood up, completely covered in various bits of lunch food. There was a long awkward silence, before the crowd burst into a fit of laugher, all pointing their fingers towards the now humiliated pony.

“No, shut up!” Babs yelled, quickly becoming overcome by the shame. The crowd continued laughing, causing Babs to turn tail and bolt towards the school house, tears in her eyes.

As soon as she Babs was out of sight, the crowd started cheering for Scootaloo.

“Way to go,” one colt said as he walked past, giving Scootaloo a pat on the back.

“We knew you had it in you,” Another cheered, also giving her a pat on the back.

Various other ponies all passed by, giving her congratulations on her victory. Scootaloo had done it. She’d finally beaten Babs at her own game. Knocked her down a few pegs and shown everypony how vulnerable the bigger mare really was.

Then why, she wondered, did she feel so empty inside?

She noticed Dinky giving her a displeased look.

“What?” She asked, looking towards Dinky.

“That was an awful thing to do,” Dinky replied. Scootaloo looked at Dinky in shock.

“What do you mean ‘awful’, you saw what happened, she deserved it,” Scootaloo replied, not really believing her own words.

“Maybe…” Dinky said. “But when she ran I saw something familiar. I saw myself the first time she picked on me. Congratulations, Scootaloo, you’re on her level now,” And with that, Dinky walked away.

Scootaloo started after her, but a loud voice distracted her.

“Scootaloo!” the voice shouted. Scootaloo turned in the direction of the voice to see her math teacher standing in the doorway, a grim look on her face.

“Buck me,” Scootaloo mumbled.

//////////////////////////

Scootaloo sat waiting in the main office, feeling quite frustrated with herself. The principle had called her uncle who was undoubtedly on the way. “How did I get into this?” she muttered herself, twiddling her thumbs. The clock ticked slowly, time passing at a snails pace.

After what seemed like an eternity, but was probably only five minutes, her uncle stormed into the office. Without a word he stepped into the principal’s office and had a quick word. Before Scootaloo had a chance to figure out what had been said behind the closed door, Uncle Carrot walked out of the office and towards her. “Come on. Get your stuff and let’s go,” he told her forcefully.

“But there’s still an hour of school left,” Scootaloo said, confused.

“Not for you. Congratulations, you just got suspended for a week. I hope you’re proud,” he said angrily. “We’ll talk more when we get home,” he grumbled turning towards the door. Scootaloo followed closely her head hanging in shame.

As they walked towards the front doors Scootaloo heard familiar voices chattering down the hall. She stopped and looked to see Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon standing near a very depressed looking Babs.

“I can’t believe you let her make a fool of you like that,” Diamond said sneering at the dark orange mare. “I mean she’s like half your size. You must be really pathetic to lose to her.”

“I know,” Silver Spoon chimed in. “I mean even I could have probably beaten her. But you just ran away with your tail between your legs crying,” she laughed as her and Diamond walked away, giggling and laughing amongst themselves, leaving Babs standing there alone, sniffing and crying quietly.

Scootaloo simply stared at Babs, her mind a blank. Where was the mean, tough Babs that terrified the school? The Babs she saw here was a sad, pitiful pony, bullied by those two rich jerks. Why hadn’t Babs punched those two, instead of cowering in front of them and letting them demean her in such a way?

“Scootaloo.” Her uncle called out to her, still looking quite angry at her, snapping Scootaloo out of her thoughts. She turned to follow after her uncle, her mind focused on one thought.

I’m just as bad as them.

//////////////////

Cheerilee stood in the elevator, still trying to patch together what had happened the night before. The last thing she remembered was being her lab and injecting the serum. Then, an extreme pain in her missing leg and blackness. Then she woke up in her own living room and surrounded by dead animals.

The elevator dinged, announcing her arrival on the floor where she worked. She pushed the thoughts out of her mind and walked out of the elevator, heading to her office. When she got there, her eyes immediately widened at the sight before her.

“Oh dear Celestia…”

Broken glass littered the floor outside the research area, along with bits of broken off drywall.

“Oh good you’re finally here,” a voice that Cheerilee recognized as the coworker she had spoken to on the phone. It was a rather thin sky blue unicorn with a grey mane.

“What…Uh…What happened?” Cheerilee asked a feeling in the pit her stomach already giving her an idea of what might have happened.

The unicorn shook her head. “Like I said over the phone; it looks like someone tried to break in. It doesn’t look like anything was actually taken, but a lot of our equipment was destroyed. To be honest I didn’t even know anypony could do that much damage,” the other mare said, an edge of confusion in her voice.

“Oh my,” Cheerilee replied, only half paying attention. She walked into the lab, being careful to avoid what few shards of glass had fallen inside. She almost felt like fainting. The scene displayed before her was in many ways identical to the one she had awoken to that morning.

She wandered over to the spot she had mixed the serum the previous night. The table the mixer was on looked like it had been fed halfway into a wood chipper. The machine itself was smashed on the other side of the room. The chemicals were spilled on the floor, forming an ugly mess of colors on the floor. That’s when Cheerilee’s eye caught sight of something strangely familiar in the mixed liquids. She reached out and picked up the object. It was a scale, almost identical to the one she had found back at her home.

“What is happening?” she muttered to herself.

“Um…Doctor Cheerilee?”

She spun around and suddenly felt very awkward. The other researchers were all staring at her with eyebrows raised.

“Um, sorry…” she awkwardly rubbed the back of her neck and started towards the door, discreetly shoving the scale in her lab coat pocket.

“Do you have any idea what might have caused this?” one of the researchers asked.

Cheerilee shook her head.

“No, no I don’t…”

//////////////////

“What were you thinking?!” Uncle Carrot shouted as he followed Scootaloo into the family room above the bakery.

“I… I don’t know,” Scootaloo mumbled, not meeting his gaze.

“You don’t know? How do you not know?” Carrot asked in disbelief. “You humiliated that girl at school and for what? Payback?”

“No!” Scootaloo said forcefully, still refusing to look at her uncle. “She was picking on me and my friend and I stood up to her. I figured that’d be a good thing.” Her shoulders sagged and she looked down at the floor, her own foolish and selfish actions becoming apparent.

There was a long pause between the two, as Uncle Carrot walked over and sat next to Scootaloo. “Scootaloo,” he said, “You must understand that standing up for your friend is a good thing, but the way you handled it isn’t.”

“Then why am I in trouble?” Scootaloo moaned feeling quite frustrated. “I finally find it in me to defend myself and I get suspended? That’s not fair,” she stamped a hoof.

“What’s not fair is you using this new found courage to settle a grudge.” Uncle Carrot stated matter of factly. “I know that was the girl who’s been picking on you; your principal told me everything. He seemed shocked I didn’t know,” there was a pause. “Why didn’t you tell me about this before?” he asked, turning to look Scootaloo in the eyes, looking rather worried.

“Because I didn’t need the help. I’m fine on my own. I think I proved that today,” Scootaloo said, shifting on her feet, feeling more and more conflicted.

“That’s no excuse. Just because you can do something doesn’t always make it right,” Uncle Carrot interjected. “With great power comes great responsibility. I know that may be difficult to understand right now, but-”

“Oh no, I get it,” Scootaloo interrupted. “It’s a great excuse for why you never told me you still had my dad’s bag!” she shouted, now on the verge of tears.

Carrot’s raised an eyebrow. “Bag? What bag?” he asked perplexed.

“What do you mean ‘what bag’? The bag my dad left you! The one I found in the attic yesterday!”

Her uncle’s eyes widened in realization. “Oh…that bag…”

Scootaloo nodded angrily. “Yeah, that bag! Why didn’t you just tell me about it?! Something like ‘Oh Scootaloo did we ever tell you that some of your dad’s old things are up in the attic buried under dust and old baking trophies,’” she said, doing a fairly poor imitation of her uncle’s voice.

There was another long pause between the two, as Uncle Carrot seemed to regretful. “Look, Scootaloo, I’m sorry, but your father asked me to keep his notes hidden. He didn’t really go into much more detail than that, but he said it was important. So, I just up and stuffed it in the attic. After the first few years I just forgot about it. I really am sor-”

“Sorry doesn’t cut it!” Scootaloo responded still feeling frustrated. “If it was so important there’s no way you could just forget!”

Before her uncle had a chance to react, the voice of Aunt Cup called out to them as she climbed up the stairs.

“What’s going on?” She asked, leaning into the door way, concern in her eyes. “Your shouting is scaring away the customers.”

Scootaloo sighed and shook her head. “Nothing, I’m just gonna go for a walk,” she said darkly as she made her way down stairs. Uncle Carrot didn’t even try to stop her.

Once outside Scootaloo started walking aimlessly. She didn’t know where she was going and, quite honestly, she didn’t care. She just wanted to get away from her uncle’s lecture, to sort things out herself.

////////////////

Scootaloo wandered for quite awhile, eventually heading back towards her school. Just in time to see all of the other students getting let out for the day.

She noticed a few of them heading for carriages, presumably driven by their parents. Scootaloo felt herself grow bitter at the smiles of happy dad’s greeting her classmates who mostly just looked mortified.

“Don’t know how good they have it,” she muttered to herself.

“Hey, someone stop that guy!” someone shouted. Scootaloo looked in the direction of the commotion to see an unknown stallion running away from Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon with what looked like one of the two mares’ purse. The stallion skidded to a halt as he almost ran into Scootaloo.

The stallion stared at Scootaloo for a brief moment.

“Just go. They kinda have it coming,” Scootaloo said. The stallion wasted no time and bolted down the street.

Diamond and Silver Spoon ran up to Scootaloo, their faces red with indignation. “Why didn’t you do anything? Now he’s gonna get away,” she spat towards Scootaloo.

“You don’t deserve my help,” Scootaloo said curtly and turned to walk away. Before she got too far a white hoof landed on her shoulder, and she stopped to look at the pony attached to it.

“I think we should talk,” said Featherweight, his voice laced with disappointment.

///////////////////

Scootaloo and Featherweight sat in a small café, sharing an order of hayfries. A television in the corner of the room held Scootaloo’s attention.

“It’s unclear whether she’s alive or dead, but military police assure us that well known business tycoon and inventor Comet Dash and his daughter Rainbow have most likely been taken captive by a Diamond Dog terrorist group that has been wreaking havoc in that section of Northern Equestria,” the news stallion droned, his voice utterly devoid of emotion.

“You wanna tell me what happened with Babs?” Featherweight asked, breaking the silence between them.

Scootaloo groaned in frustration. “For Faust’s sake, why do I have to keep defending what I did? I stood up to Babs and everyone’s acting like I did something wrong,” She said, seething at the accusation.

Featherweight shrugged. “It’s because that’s just not like you at all. I didn’t even know you could move like that. I mean I’d have been admiring it if you weren’t the one tossing Babs over a table,” he said, taking a sip of his cola.

Scootaloo groaned. “But that’s what I don’t get. Babs is a bitch. Why is everyone getting mad I fought back?” she asked, looking towards Featherweight. “I mean, seriously Featherweight. You know her tell me why everypony is angry at me for standing up for myself.”

Featherweight paused, leaning back slightly. “Do you want me to be dead honest?”

Scootaloo nodded, feeling somewhat exasperated. Why couldn’t someone just come clean and tell her the truth, no strings attached? “Yes. I want you to be dead honest.”

Featherweight sighed. “Okay then. Truth is, Babs is a lot like you,” Featherweight said rather matter-of-factly. “She isn’t really friends with Diamond or Silver Spoon. She hates them. The only reason you ever see her with them is because they just hang around her so no one messes with them, they bully her just as much as she bullies all the other fillies,” Featherweight explained.

Scootaloo simply blinked in shock. She had caught a glimpse of that before, but honestly, deep down, thought that maybe it was just an isolated incident.

“And that brings me to my second point,” Featherweight continued. “Why didn’t you stop that stallion that snatched Diamond’s purse?”

Featherweight’s words snapped Scootaloo back into reality. “What do you mean ‘why didn’t I stop him?’” she asked, once more angry that she had to explain her actions for the second time today. “Featherweight, you just gave me a good reason why she doesn’t deserve help. I figure it’ll teach Diamond a lesson,” she shifted in her seat, feeling guiltier for her actions each passing second.

“I know, but you could have done it another way. Sure, someponies might say you were obligated to, since Diamond has been so mean to you in the past, but be honest, you’re more of the selfless type, aren’t you?” he asked, smiling.

Scootaloo sighed. This was almost exactly what her uncle had been saying, just worded differently. She slumped down onto the table. “I know. It was wrong what I did back there. I should have done something. It’s just…” she paused, wondering how to properly word what she wanted to say. “It’s just that I had an argument with my uncle earlier and I was still angry I guess.” She confessed, a sense of relief coming over her.

“And so you took your anger out on Diamond,” Featherweight finished. “Well I can’t say it was right, but I understand.” There was a pause.

Scootaloo then broke the silence. “You know what? To tell you the truth, you kinda just gave me the same advice my Uncle did.” She paused, her smile fading as she replayed the fight with her uncle in her head. “Except I threw it back in his face,” she said, starting to feel guilty.

Featherweight said nothing, instead looking at Scootaloo thoughtfully. “Sounds like you owe him an apology,” he finally said, simply.

“Yeah,” Scootaloo replied. She fiddled with her hayfries, afraid to ask her next question. It was getting late and she was feeling that strange tingling sensation from before. “Could…could you, maybe walk me home?” she asked, blushing slightly. “I don’t wanna be alone right now.”

Featherweights eyes widened and a smile spread across his face. “Sure,” he said.

Scootaloo smiled back rather awkwardly and the two got up and started walking towards Scootaloo’s home.

////////////////////

The strange tingling sensation Scootaloo was feeling only grew stronger as the two of them made their way towards home. She and Featherweight hadn’t talked much, both feeling that enough had been said already.

“You, okay?” Featherweight asked. “You seem nervous.”

“I don’t know. I just feel a little off. Like something isn’t the way it should be,” Scootaloo answered, shaking off the strange feeling of foreboding she felt. As they neared the house Scootaloo began to sweat. Something was horribly wrong, she could feel it. But what?

As if to answer her question, her eyes caught sight of bright flashing lights as they reached the corner.

“Oh no,” Scootaloo whispered as she broke out into a run, rounding the corner with Featherweight scampering behind her.

“Hey wait up!” he shouted, bolting after Scootaloo.

Scootaloo came to a dead halt as her worst fears were confirmed. She was greeted with the sight of two police cars parked outside the bakery, alongside an ambulance. A small crowd of ponies, consisting mostly of on-lookers were gathered around in a ring outside the police tape, all gawking at the scene before them.

Scootaloo once again broke into a gallop. She had to find her family. To see if they were alright. She shoved her way through the growing crowd, ducking under the police tape and making a beeline towards the front of the bakery.

“Did you see what he looked like?” she heard an officer say and spun around almost instantly, looking for where the officer was standing. She saw him standing in front of Aunt Cup, who was sobbing.

“He was a little taller than me and he had a white mane and a black coat,” Her aunt choked out between sobs, dabbing her eyes with a cloth every so often in a futile attempt to wipe away the tears.

“Aunt Cup?” Scootaloo said her voice laced with concern. The older mare turned to look towards her, her eyes red and puffy from sobbing.

“Oh Scootaloo, he shot him,” she cried hysterically, pulling Scootaloo into a tight hug.

“Who did he shot?” Scootaloo asked, quickly becoming overwhelmed with confusion.

“He took Carrot from us,” Aunt Cup wailed, collapsing to the ground, completely overwhelmed with emotion.

“What?” Scootaloo asked, still trying to process what was happening. Aunt Cup could do nothing but cry though, unable to explain further.

“Are you Mr. Cake’s daughter?” one of the police stallions asked Scootaloo.

Scootaloo couldn’t answer, as the full scope of what had just happened dawning on her. She collapsed to the ground, tears pouring out of her eyes.

“No she’s his niece. They raised her,” another, much younger voice to her side explained. Scootaloo turned towards the source of the voice to see that Featherweight had caught up with her.

“What happened exactly?” he asked the officer, seemingly knowing that Scootaloo wanted to know.

The police officer bit his lip, obviously apprehensive. “Um, well, the perpetrator came into the bakery and threatened the Cakes at gun point.” He paused, giving the three a worried look.

“And?” Featherweight asked again.

The police officer bit his lip again, sighed and continued. “When Mr. Cake didn’t give him the money he wanted the perp shot him at close range.”

At the officer’s words, Aunt Cup exploded into another series of heaving sobs. Scootaloo meanwhile just stared ahead blankly. She honestly didn’t know what to feel at this point. A part of her felt an immense sadness for her loss. Another part of her felt an incredible seething rage for what the killer had done. He had taken away the only pony that came close to being her father. And yet, yet another part of her felt an incredible sense of guilt. It was her that caused the fight with her uncle. Her and her own selfishness.

Then, a thought passed through her mind. “Where are the twins?” she asked, still in a daze.

“They’re over there, next to our car,” The officer’s replied, motioning towards the ambulance.

“You two should go see to them. I’ll stay here,” Featherweight said gently, motioning towards the twins. Scootaloo nodded and lead her aunt to the car. She saw that the twins were safe, sitting outside, their faces masks of fear as a paramedic checked them over.

“Scootaloo!” They shouted as they caught sight of Scootaloo. Scootaloo ran up to them and hugged them tightly.

“Hey guys…” she said, just happy to see them okay.

“Daddy won’t wake up,” Pound said, on the verge of tears.

“But he will, won’t he?” Pumpkin asked trying to be hopeful.

Aunt Cup suddenly pulled her children and niece in for a hug. “No, Pumpkin. Dads not going to wake up sweetheart,” she said, trying to stay calm for her children.

Scootaloo didn’t try to back away, instead gratefully excepting the comfort her family gave her.

At that moment Featherweight walked up to them, an unsure look on his face. Scootaloo looked at him in the hope he’d try to comfort her. She opened her mouth to ask him what he’d been told when she noticed a piece of paper in his hoof. Featherweight apparently noticed that she saw what he had and tried to hide it, but Scootaloo’s hoof darted out at lightning speed and snatched it from him.

What she saw amplified her rage and guilt tenfold. It was a sketch of the killer. It was the stallion that had stolen Diamond’s purse. The stallion Scootaloo had let walk away.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t want you to do anything crazy.” Featherweight said, sounding quite sincere.

Scootaloo thought for a moment, a plan formulating in her mind. She slowly looked up at Featherweight, her eyes burning with anger.

Scootaloo buried herself into her aunt’s tight embrace, her mind focused on one thing and one thing only.

She would find that pony, and once she did, she would make him pay.

Author's Note:

Yay, new chapter. finally starting to get to the good stuff. This chapter was actually originally the second half of the last chapter, but Bronyman suggested that we split it in half due to it's size and a few other things. All in all I think it turned out great.