• Published 8th Mar 2013
  • 2,612 Views, 218 Comments

MLPU: The Amazing Spider-Mare - TheInvincibleIronBrony

  • ...
8
 218
 2,612

Revelations

“Well these look way better than most of Dinky’s designs, I’ll give you that,” Scootaloo said as she looked at several drawings Featherweight had made over the past hour.

“Yeah, well I figured if I can’t help directly with the superhero thing, I could at least make you look good,” Featherweight replied. Once he and Scootaloo had found the design that Scootaloo had liked the most, he had set about to stitching a web-like pattern onto the suit.

“Hey, I looked awesome last night,” Scootaloo was quick to reply, smirking.

“Are you kidding me? This looks like something Captain Equestria used to wear,” Featherweight laughed.

“I’ll have you know that was a keepsake of my uncle’s from his glory days as a carny,” Scootaloo informed him in an over dramatic tone.

Featherweight simply rolled his eyes as he moved the fabric through the sewing machine. “Well it may not have been what it was supposed to be for, but I’m sure he’d be proud of how you’re using it,” he said.

Scootaloo’s grin faded somewhat. “Yeah... yeah he’d probably be worried sick, but still proud,” she said, barely noticing that tears had started to form in her eyes.

Featherweight noticed this and stopped sewing. “Hey, look, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to upset you,” he began, but Scootaloo raised a hand to silence him.

“No, it’s okay. It’s not your fault, really,” she said, shaking her head and wiping away the stray tear. “It’s... I don’t know, I guess I’m just a little too cocky, I guess I just need to remember to keep myself in check not let the power go to my head,” Scootaloo said.

Featherweight smiled. “Hey, don’t worry about that. You’ve got me and Dinky to keep your ego in check,” he joked.

Scootaloo responded with a gentle punch in the shoulder. “Thanks, you’re a real hero,” she replied sarcastically.

Featherweight returned to his work. There was a brief silence between them, really only broken by the faint sound of music coming from the radio in the corner. “So what is it like? The power I mean.” Featherweight piped up all of a sudden, his attention still focused on the sewing machine. Scootaloo quirked an eyebrow at him.

“Well, It’s a little overbearing mostly,” she answered, looking down at the floor. “I’ve made some pretty big mistakes because I didn’t know how to control this,” she said, idly twirling her thumbs. “But thanks to Dinky though, that’s hopefully going to be less of a problem. She’s had me practicing for the last couple of days now after school. Improving my control and aim with the webs and all.”

“Where do those come from anyway?” Featherweight asked.

“How does it work, well,” Scootaloo showed him her left forehoof. “Right here,” she said, pointing to the barely perceptible slit in her wrist. “It’s as much a part of me as the strength, speed and agility,” she turned, spotting an empty soda can on the other side of the room. She shot a web at it and pulled the can into her hand, catching it with ease. Featherweight’s eyes widened. “That’s amazing,” he said, “I suppose the wall crawling comes with the package?”

Scootaloo grinned, dropping the can. She flipped into the air, her hooves touching the ceiling. Featherweight winced, but Scootaloo stuck firm. His eyes were now the size of dinner plates. “And my strength makes it easy to support my body weight up here too,” Scootaloo added with pride as she started walking on Featherweight’s ceiling.

“Wow,” the stallion commented, as his gaze fell to the can. He silently picked it up and lightly tossed it up towards Scootaloo from behind.

Scootaloo once again felt that strange tingle at the back of her skull and dropped off of the ceiling. She caught the can mid fall and tossed it back at Featherweight. The can bounced off of Featherweight’s head, his eyes wide in shock, barely noticing the impact.

“How did you do that?” he asked awestruck.

Scootaloo shrugged. “I’m not really sure. I think Dinky said some spider’s can predict danger or something. She called it my ‘Spider Sense’ when I explained it to her,” Scootaloo chuckled. “I’m not so good with biology stuff though. I’d much rather tinker with a toaster.”

Featherweight laughed. “You know, I noticed you tend to make more jokes the more you’re put on the spot,” he added smiling.

Scootaloo just stared at him for a second, a bead of sweat rolling down her neck at his observation. “So these two ponies walk into a bar-” she started, but Featherweight was quick to wave a hoof, interrupting her.

“Okay, let’s not turn my bedroom into open mic night,” he said chuckling as he returned to working on the costume. “So tell me about that thing you fought last night.”

Scootaloo paused. She hadn’t really thought about that all that much, being more focused on her costume. “I don’t know what to say about it. It was giant freaking lizard,” she said, “I mean it could lift a car for Celestia’s sake,” she explained. “And it could talk too.”

Featherweight just stopped to look at her as if she were crazy. “Seriously?” he asked, perplexed. Scootaloo nodded.

“Seriously. I’m not kidding. It was pissed off and kept referring to me and the other ponies there as food. It must have been really hungry to attack a police station,” Scootaloo said, still perplexed by the creature's behavior.

“Attack?” Featherweight asked confused.

“Um, yeah what else would you call it when someone throws a car at you?” Scootaloo asked, raising an eyebrow slightly.

“You haven’t watched any of the videos have you?” Featherweight asked. Scootaloo simply shook her head as Featherweight got up from his chair and pulled his bag out from under the desk. He unzipped the bag and pulled out a laptop, which he set on his bed. After a few minutes of booting up and clicking links he’d pulled up a video titled The Lizard Creature Theories.

A blurry outline of a pony appeared as the video started. “Okay so nopony knows where this creature came from, but it and the masked vigilante that fought it off are easily the biggest news anywhere right now,” a distorted voice spoke. Scootaloo guessed that the pony on the screen was trying to be on camera and remain anonymous at the same time.

“First thing I want to clear up though is the actual attack on the precinct. It was not an attack,” the unknown pony continued. The picture faded into a street camera view of the outside of the police station.

“Hey, how did he get that footage?” Scootaloo asked, furrowing her eyebrow. Featherweight just shrugged and shushed her. Returning her attention to the screen, Scootaloo watched as a few ponies started running out of the building in a panic and not far behind them the creature came bursting through the front doors, knocking them off of their hinges.

“See,” the voice returned as the picture faded back to the speaker. “I personally checked the rest of the footage from that camera and there was no monster going in. So how did it get in the building?” he asked. After a short pause he continued. “Simple it walked in, just not in it’s lizard form. That’s right, the beast has the ability to transform into a regular pony or maybe the other way around. I don’t have any evidence yet, but I’ll keep searching. Tune in next week when I breakdown the hero of the hour Spider-Mare. See ya folks.”

With that farewell the screen went black for a moment before the replay option appeared. Scootaloo just sat on the floor trying to make sense of what she’d seen.

“I don’t know about a transforming reptile-pony hybrid, but the guy does have a point. There’s something weird going on here,” Featherweight said as he returned to the sewing machine and the costume. Scootaloo simply scrolled through a few more videos from the fight hoping to see where it had gone afterwards. She wasn’t able to find any more about the creature, instead just finding dozens of videos spouting various conspiracy theories. Sighing, she simply sat next to Featherweight and pondered this new information as she watched him work on her new outfit.

////////////////////////////////////////

Cup Cake walked into the living room after closing the bakery, her eyes drawn to three ponies sitting on the floor. “What’s going on here?” she asked smiling.

Pinkie Pie looked up from the paper Pound Cake had been writing on. “I’m helping them with their homework,” she chirped. “Okay I think you have to divide now,” she told the colt.

Pound gave the mare a quizzical look. “This is my spelling homework,” he said, pointing at the page.

Pinkie looked closely at the paper, squinting her eyes. “Oh yeah, good point. Are you doing math?” she asked turning to Pumpkin.

“No this is Science,” Pumpkin answered.

“I see. I guess I just couldn’t put two and two together,” Pinkie joked, laughing at herself.

Everyone else in the room just gave her a flat look. “That was a lame joke,” Pumpkin said, returning to her homework.

Pinkie simply scowled at Pumpkin. “You two never did have a sense of humor,” she grumbled crossing her forehooves dramatically.

“They might laugh if you ever told a good joke,” Cup told her, smiling gently.

Pinkie was about to respond when she heard a familiar ringtone. She turned to the coffee table where she’d left her phone. “This conversation will continue,” Pinkie said as she picked up the phone to answer the call. “Hello, this is Pinkie,” she said cheerily. After a short pause her attitude became more solemn. “Uh... Give me just a second,” she said to whomever was calling her. “It’s a business call. I’ll be back in a bit,” she told Cup Cake as she made her way to the stairs.

Cup Cake nodded. “Sure thing Pinkie.”

Pinkie smiled and nodded and stepped into the deserted bakery. She put the phone to her ear again. “Okay I’m alone go ahead.”

“We need you to look into the incident at the eighth precinct in Manehattan. That’s an order straight from the Director,” The pony on the other end said in a very dry and official sounding tone.

“I’m on leave right now. I’m only in town for a friends funeral,” Pinkie explained, secretly hoping somepony else would be assigned the task.

“We don’t have any other agents close by. You’re all we’ve got. It shouldn’t take you too long to complete the assignment.”

Pinkie sighed in defeat. There goes my vacation. she thought. “Fine. What are my orders upon contact with subjects?” she asked, taking on the same tone as the pony on the phone.

“Subject Lizard is to be taken into custody or eliminated if necessary,” the voice said as though it were reading the orders off of a script.

“And Spider-Mare?”

“Recon only. She’s being considered for recruitment.”

Pinkie’s eye widened. “Seriously. Have you seen the footage she can’t be out of High School yet,” Pinkie protested.

“Early recruitment has yielded better results in most cases. For example Agent Belle’s younger sister will be graduating from the Academy top of her class very soon,” the voice said, sounding slightly bored.

“Ugh fine..I accept the assignment. I’ll report back tomorrow,” Pinkie answered.

“Looking forward to it,” the other pony said before hanging up.

Pinkie set the phone down on a table, sighing. “There goes my weekend,” she told herself as she walked back up the stairs.

“Everything okay?” Cup Cake asked as Pinkie emerged from downstairs.

“Yeah, I just gotta square off a client’s travel expenses before I go to bed tonight. I shouldn’t be up too long,” Pinkie said nonchalantly. “No biggie.”

“I thought you got off work for the week,” Cup pointed out, frowning at the news.

“So did I, but some ponies just can’t wait.” Pinkie said shrugging. “Speaking of which when’s dinner I’m starved. I was thinking we could have some cupcakes and ice cream,” Pinkie said, licking her lips.

“That’s not a proper meal,” Cup said as she rolled her eyes in amusement, walking over to the phone. “Plus I don’t feel like cooking tonight. What do you guys say we order a pizza?” she asked.

Pumpkin and Pound Cake both beamed, nodding adamantly. Pinkie, however, frowned at the idea. “Nah. I’m in the need for a sugar rush. I’m gonna to head out, maybe get something from a drive through,” she said, grinning as she moved towards the stairs. “I’ll bring back some ice cream for you guys,” she called down.

“Awesome!” the twins cheered, causing Pinkie’s grin to grow a little larger.

Pinkie made her way to the guest room she was using and shut the door behind her, being sure to lock it. She then pulled her suitcase out from under her bed and opened it. Inside was a bow, a quiver of arrows with different arrowheads and a black suit with a tactical belt. “I was kinda hoping to keep you away for the week, but duty calls,” she said as she put on the clothing and slung the quiver and then the bow around her neck.

She then opened the window on the opposite wall from the bed and jumped into the alley below.

/////////////////////////////////////

Dinky frantically ran through the information she’d just finished triple checking, but the evidence kept pointing to the same impossible conclusion. Her mentor and close friend Dr. Cheerilee was the Lizard that Scootaloo had fought the previous night.

“How is this even possible?” She asked out loud, her mind unable to comprehend the possibility. She took a breath and rubbed her head in an attempt to keep herself calm. Then as though a light had flicked on, she had an idea. "I need to tell Scootaloo.” She pulled her phone out of her bag and dialed the number.

Dinky sat there for a minute, drumming her fingers on the desk before she heard the beep that informed her that she had no signal. But I’ve never had this problem in my room. Weird, she thought as she stuffed the phone back in her bag.

Dinky paused. Maybe I'm rushing into this, she thought for just a moment, Maybe I should wait until tomorrow? But then I might not have another chance.

“I’ll just have to go to her,” she told herself as she grabbed her bag. She left her room and made her way to the front door.

“Where are you going?” a stern voice asked, causing Dinky to freeze in place. She turned around to see her mother giving her a glare.

“I have to go see a friend about something. It’s really important mom,” Dinky said, hoping that would be enough and she would be allowed to leave.

“I was just getting ready to make dinner. What’s so important you can’t call your friend?” Derpy asked, eyebrow raised.

“I would but I’m not getting any reception here,” Dinky said, and Derpy gave her a disbelieving look. “I know we usually have one, but we don’t right now,” she continued, pulling out her phone. “See?” she held out the phone so her mother could get a good look at the glowing screen.

Derpy glanced at the device and sighed. "Okay, but be back before midnight,” she said, shaking her head slightly.

“Thanks mom,” Dinky smiled as she embraced her mother tightly. "I shouldn’t be long. I’m gonna take the subway to save time,” she said as she opened the door.

“Okay just be careful,” Derpy called out after her.

Dinky was out the door before she heard the warning and running down the stairs as fast as she could. About halfway down she passed a stallion with a tool box trotting by, an annoyed look on his face. “Stupid foals messin with the cell towers,” he grumbled, eyeing Dinky angrily.

Dinky stopped almost confused. Did he say towers? As in more than one? What the hay is going on? she wondered as she continued to the front doors of her building.

As she walked towards the subway, Dinky had the distinct feeling that she was being watched. She kept looking over her shoulder the entire way, but as far as she could tell no one on the busy sidewalk was following her.

She picked up her pace out of paranoia and was able to get to the subway in half the time it usually took her. Once she saw the stairway leading underneath the busy streets she smiled in quiet relief. The station wasn’t very busy most of the time, mainly because it was in a rather rough part of town and thugs would often harass passengers. Even so, there were still a few train operators that stopped by, despite the offending youths.

Thankfully the station appeared to be hooligan free today, but Dinky still couldn't shake the feeling that she was being watched. The station was covered in graffiti and the lights flickered on and off as though they were about to go out at any moment. Dinky quietly sat on a bench and waited for the train. To pass the time she pulled her phone out of her bag to play some music and noticed that she had a weak signal.

“Perfect,” she said happily as she called Scootaloo. After a few short rings there was a click.

“Hello?” came Scootaloo's voice.

“Scootaloo, hey it’s Dinky. I’ve got something important to say so just listen,” Dinky said before her friend could reply.

“Can you say that again? You’re not coming through clear. Are you in a tunnel?” Scootaloo asked, her voice distorted by static.

“I’m at the subway near my home. That’s not important right now, just listen,” Dinky persisted.

“Alright I’m listening,” Scootaloo replied. There was some muffled voice in the background. "It’s Dinky, you just finish the costume there, this is hero talk,” Scootaloo said to whoever was on the other end. Featherweight most likely. Dinky thought.

“When I got home earlier I started watching those videos from last night trying to figure out what you were fighting," Dinky continued. "I found out that several species of reptile we had experimented on in the lab at Bluecorp had similar traits to the Lizard you fought,” She explained, praying the signal was clear enough that Scootaloo had heard most of what she had said.

“So how does that help me nab the beast?” Scootaloo asked, starting to sound a little impatient.

“I’m-” Dinky was about to reply when a shadow on the floor in front of her appeared in the flickering light. She whipped around, only to see empty space.

“Dinky you there?” Scootaloo asked, now sounding slightly concerned.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Dinky replied, sitting back down. “Anyways, I was saying that the night when you went to see Cheerilee at Bluecorp, there was a break in, except nothing was stolen,” she explained.

“Dinky what does this have to do with the Lizard?” Scootaloo asked.

Dinky was about to tell Scootaloo to be patient when she heard a scraping noise from further in the station. She stopped and looked around, scanning what she could see. Nothing. Come on Dinky...its just your imagination. She thought as she returned to her conversation.

“D-Dr. Cheerilee was a-acting strange the next day,” she stuttered, her confidence returning as she spoke. “She was under suspicion for the destroyed equipment in the lab and didn’t seem sure it wasn’t her fault. She had me grab the tapes from that night before, before anypony else saw them and I took them to her house, which was also trashed,” she rambled nervously. “It didn’t make any sense before, but now that this creature showed up it’s become clear.”

“What’s clear Dinky? This doesn’t make any sense,” Scootaloo replied confused.

Now Dinky could hear the tell tale signs of a train coming up the tunnel. “Don’t you see. It’s not some monster that showed up out of the blue, it’s Dr....” Dinky trailed off as the trains lights lit up the ceiling above the tracks directly in front of her. Hanging there by it’s claws was the creature from the previous night. It’s yellow eyes, over sized fangs and claws paralyzed Dinky with fear.

In her terror, Dinky dropped the phone, Scootaloo’s voice fading as it left her ear. After a short pause the train finally passed through the station without stopping. As soon as it had passed the creature dropped from the ceiling with a loud thud and climbed up into the station. It stared it’s shaking prey down for a full minute before it lunged forward with an earsplitting roar.

Author's Note:

Okay, we closing in on the finale now so I figured I'd try my hand at a cliffhanger.

Until Next Time Stay Tuned.