• Published 2nd Mar 2013
  • 2,455 Views, 80 Comments

My Little Fortress: Dawnpick - Paaaad



Seven Ponies, One Fortress. Let's see how this goes. 149 chapters and counting.

  • ...
12
 80
 2,455

PreviousChapters Next
88

Flux' Journal

Today was fairly busy, Journal. I talked with the bowyer about repairing Jaxler's crossbow, and it's going to be very pricy to do. My meager savings won't be even close, even if I hadn't already had a plan for them. I got a small steel ingot for the jeweler today, and they even had a lapis lazuli in my price range. It's nothing compared to the jewelry Stiletto must be used to, but I hope she'll like the amulet I commissioned for her.

I wonder if the bowyer might take a trade for the repair work? It feels a bit dishonest to have only payed 500 bits for it, then turn around and trade it for thousands of bits worth of repairs, but that crossbow means the world to him. I'll at least ask. I guess the worst the bowyer could say is no.


Sarissa's Journal - 6th Galena, 258

Excellent! I got another chance to do what I was born to do today! The caravan of stripeys that showed up today was attacked by badger pony thieves, and I managed to kill one! Ha! How do you like that? I planted my axe right down the middle of his back! That'll teach him to interfere in our affairs! All other thieves better think twice before pulling a stunt like that. Tomorrow, I'll get to cleaning the skull so that I can add it to my trophy collection. Peeling away the flesh is not the most enjoyable task in the world, but the final result is more than worth it.

Well, that was the highlight of the day. I seriously need to get more sleep. I've been having those stupid dreams again. You know, back when I was filly? All of those other ponies making fun of me for my weight? I've come a long way since then, but my ideal figure still eludes me. Those few stubborn pounds just won't turn loose of my frame. At least now I've got the skill and weaponry needed to silence any of my critics if they dare make snide comments about my appearance!

Also, there seriously seems to be some problems here at the fort in regards to proper relationship etiquette. Apparently, one of our ponies had an adulterous affair with a stripey. Adultery is bad enough in itself, but with a stripey?! It's not natural. Our two kinds should not mix. Plus, there are other unwholesome rumors of unusual relationships going on around the fort. I just want to facehoof whenever I think about it. Why must I dwell among them?

On top of all of that, I was rather disappointed that our dear Virtue would give extra food to the stripeys. We don't need to spoil them with free luxuries produced through our hard work. Who's to say they won't take advantage of our trusting nature and stab us in the back some day? They're a strange bunch, they are.


High above Dawnpick, a beautiful and haunting melody can be heard upon the wind. Flux stands on a cloud with Stiletto, playing for his Beautiful Love on the piccolo. Her magic allows him to stay up here as he weaves her song. It starts calm and quiet, happy and beautiful, before slowly starting to become more hardened. Soon, though, a happy harmony joins the melody, and takes on a joyous sound, dancing on the wind. Eventually, the happy harmony fades, and the melody is lost on it's own again, slowly hardening once more. Just as it seems the song might end, another harmony joins in, simple and caring, drawing the melody to again soften. The simple harmony and beautiful melody uplift each other, filling in chords and making each better. The song ends with the harmony and melody almost dancing around each other, with just a hint of the first harmony joining in, almost watching over them.
As Flux finishes, he lowers the piccolo to smile at Stiletto, his Beautiful Love.

Stiletto had been enthralled by Flux's song, she had swayed to the sound of each note, carefully so as not to rock the large cloud they had found. Now her eyes fluttered open, and she smiles softly at her kindest love. With great care she embraces him with her forelegs and wings, kissing his neck and then nuzzling his mane.
"That was wonderful. You are so talented Flux. I am proud of all of the work you have put into this new excellence."
A wineskin filled with sunshine*1 floats from her saddle bag to hovering in front of Flux, as Stiletto returns him to the surface of the cloud
"This was a wonderful idea, my kindest love."

Flux smiles at Stiletto and accepts a drink of Sunshine.
"Thank you, my Beautiful Love. I... was hoping you'd like it."
He carefully puts away the piccolo in his own saddlebag, and pulls out something wrapped in a simple cloth. He smiles up at her as he presents it, lost in her eyes.
"I, um, hope you like this, too..."

Stiletto slowly unwraps the the gift with her magic
"I love any gift you would give. I know thought and effort would be put into it. Just like your songs, and wonderful traps."


This is a well-made steel amulet. It is encrusted with a lapis lazuli. On the item is an inscription reading "Schöne Liebe"*2


Flux watches anxiously as Stiletto unwraps the amulet he commissioned for her. It's fairly simple, but polished to a mirror shine: accentuating the lapis lazuli in the center and making the inscription on the back clear as day to read.

The amulet hovers in the air and rotates slowly. Light shines down on to it, illuminating each gem facet as Stiletto looks on with a mixture of aw and happiness.
"Oh Flux, it is absolutely amazing, did you make this for me?"
Smaller clouds begin to pull closer to the main cloud, pulled in by Stiletto's magic.

Flux scuffs a hoof in the cloud, wishing he had the skill to make something like the amulet.
"Um, no. I, uh, commissioned it for you. I picked out the steel and the gem, but had to ask the jeweler to make it."

Stiletto smiles and slips the amulet around her neck and turns her head about to show it to him
"You remembered all the things I like, How dose it look on me?"
The smaller clouds begin to form an arch over the larger cloud

Flux beams at Stiletto, overjoyed that she likes the amulet.
"It pales next to you, my Beautiful Love."

Stiletto takes Flux into her forelegs again as the clouds surround them. She kisses him passionately as she rolls over onto her back in the cloud house they now find themselves in.
"We are alone now you know."

Flux smiles down at his Beautiful Love, resting on the soft fur of her chest and belly.
"I love you, Stiletto. My Schöne Liebe..."

Author's Note:

And fade to black...


*1- An extremely valuable type of alcohol made from Sun berries, found naturally only in good aligned biomes.
*2- Yes, this is how items are described in the game.

PreviousChapters Next