• Published 2nd Mar 2013
  • 2,455 Views, 80 Comments

My Little Fortress: Dawnpick - Paaaad



Seven Ponies, One Fortress. Let's see how this goes. 149 chapters and counting.

  • ...
12
 80
 2,455

PreviousChapters Next
81

Jaxler woke up under a tree. He had a splitting head ache and the sun was blinding. After getting up he scanned his surrounding and saw that his crossbow was a few meters away on top of a boulder. After he picked up his crossbow, he saw a pony walking his way.

Kukri trotted softly towards the crimson haired pony, she had observed his slow stumbling into conciseness with some amusement. She merely intended to trot past and continue with her walk, but the crimson stranger gave her a look, that to her dismay, looked like conversation.

As the pony got closer decided he might as well start a conversation. "Aye there Kukri."

Kukri sighed; she knew this conversion was unavoidable. "Hello there" she said sweetly.

Jaxler was surprised by the sweetness in the Kukri's voice. "So, how’s the militia?"

‘Gut wrenchingly dull’ Kurki thought to herself. "Oh just wonderful!" she said with enthusiasm "They're all so very kind to me over there, it's nice"

"Well that's good to hear."

Kukri spots the crossbow by Jaxler's side, and with a smile says "Ah, and how is your line of work treating you?"

Jaxler looked at his decrepit wooden crossbow and though about the question. "Meh, it’s been pretty good"

Kukri lets out a light giggle, "Up late guarding this tree and boulder then?"

Jaxler shrugged "Nah, all I did last night was get drunk."

Great, Kurki thought to herself, a drunken guardspony, I've never felt so protected and secure. Kurki lets out another giggle, "Enjoy yourself, then?"

Jaxler thought for a moment, he really didn't have any memory of last night. "I really don't know."

‘A forgetful drunk, even better.’ Feeling that she had talked enough to not seem rude, Kurki was about to get away from the drunken gaurdpony, when it suddenly struck her that this was the most interesting event that happened in her in weeks. She stared at Jaxler with a puzzled look, contemplating this realization. A brief uninteresting conversation was of note in her life. Perhaps I need to get out a bit more, she thought to herself.

Jaxler noticed that kukri seemed to have zoned out. "Uh, Kukri, 'whatcha starring at?"

Realizing her soundings Kukri jumps back into awareness with a shock "Oh! Er, nothing, just thinking" she ponders for a second more, and with a little effort manages to blurt "Hey, I tend to keep to myself, so, uh, anything interesting going on?"

Jaxler pondered for a moment. "No, not really. Things have been rather boring recently."

Slightly disappointed with his answer, Kukri lets an unintentional audible sigh. Catching herself she straightens up and smiles brightly at the garudspony. This was only the view of the forgetful drunk, after all. Perhaps someone pony in this damned fort had something at least mildly interesting to say. She certainly wasn't getting much out of him anyway.

As the awkward silence fell Jaxler decided that it was about time he made his leave "Hay, I should really head off to the Barracks before Partisan realizes I'm late."

Kukri nods "Alright, I won't keep you" Thankful that the garudspony is taking his leave, Kukri turns her mind back to wondering just what to do with herself. "Perhaps I'll see you again...er..." She trails off, it hit's her quite suddenly that she has no idea what this pony's name is.

Jaxler looked at Kukri and laughed, "Let me guess you don't know my name."

Kukri was sorely tempted to say "Forgetful drunk?", but she knew that, that probably wouldn't be the best move for her. Instead, Kurki lowered her head and dragged her hoof back and forth across the ground. "Um...mabye?" she said with a squeak. Perhaps she could use this lack of knowledge to her advantage.

Jaxler: "Well in that case my name is Jaxler Blackflutes. I'm second command of the guard and also glad to make your acquaintance."

Kukri gives a slight curtsy "Please to meet you, Mr. Blackflutes"

Jaxler found the curtsy to be a bit overkill and somepony calling him Mr. seemed rather strange to him. "Please everypony just calls me Jaxler, and there really isn't any need to be formal"

Kukri took keen note of that, she should have guessed this guy would much prefer informal conversation, regardless the lesson was learned. "Alright Jaxler, I'll see you around" she rather hoped that she wouldn't, but had a feeling that more encounters with him were now unavoidable.

"Hopefully" and with that Jaxler made his way over to the barracks.

Kukri turns around and trots away, continuing her stroll. She couldn't deny that she was unbelievably bored, perhaps spending some time with the rest of these gits would help elevate some of that boredom.

PreviousChapters Next