• Published 2nd Mar 2013
  • 2,455 Views, 80 Comments

My Little Fortress: Dawnpick - Paaaad



Seven Ponies, One Fortress. Let's see how this goes. 149 chapters and counting.

  • ...
12
 80
 2,455

PreviousChapters Next
70: On the care of a Zony.

Glyph and Friesden walk into the trade depot. The Zebra caravan is there, although they'll be leaving soon, which is why Glyph had chosen now to come and find one to speak to. 'If I need to know something... after all, a zebra is different than a pony... and a... what would the word even be.. Zony? Whatever it would be, they might react badly to some things... can't take the risk of Friesden getting hurt by something that should help her... or anything like that.'

Friesden is happily flying in circles around Glyph's head as he thinks, he looks up at her. "Careful Friesdizzy, make sure you don't run into any of these boxes."

"I won't!” About one second later she does, knocking a large crate to the ground.

Azikiwe hears the crash, and comes to investigate "Careful, young one, your parents might not be pleased should your lack of care cause injury, or break some item of far-off-lands."

Friesden eeps and flutters back over to Glyph.

"I'm sorry sir, my malyutka didn't mean to hurt anything." Glyph puts a foreleg around Friesden. "Actually I came down to speak to one of you... umm... did anything break?"

Azikiwe watches the filly get up, and then straightens the bumped box, before pausing and looking over at her. "it should be fine, that box was filled with fabrics." he pauses, contemplating his wording... "such a lovely filly, she is.."

Friesden remembers her manners. "Thank you mister Zebra."

Glyph smiles. "That she is. But I should ask your name, can't just call you zebra."

Azikiwe smiles to Friesden "You are quite welcome, young one. and, most call me Azikiwe"

"Um. Thank you mister Azikiwe."

Glyph chuckles. "So Azikiwe, do you have time to talk? I know you're all probably busy but..."

Azikiwe nods. "I can spare some time, Of what did you wish to speak?"

Glyph thinks a bit, trying to find some... tactful way of putting it. "It's about um..." He glances at Friesden. "Well, zebras really..."

Friesden perks her ears up. "Why do you want to talk about Zebras, almost-dad?"

"Well, you are special malyutka..." Glyph smiles at her.

Azikiwe nods. "Ah yes, it's not terribly uncommon for one to have questions, I shall, try and provide answers as best I can."

A female zebra is watching the foal playing, and comes closer. "Ah, you must be the filly, Indigo told me about."

Friesden 's eyes boggle. "Ponies are talking about me?"

Glyph looks at the new zebra. "So, you know about Friesden then. I hope you don't mind me coming by looking for answers miss...”

“I'm Sekashi. You would be the second pony to ask me for answers recently. I'm not an oracle, but only a simple trader. You can ask your questions, and I'll answer what I can." She then turns towards the foal and says "Yes, ponies are talking about you. It is uncommon for a pony to have stripes like yours."

Friesden looks at herself. "I only got these stripes recently..."

"Well, they are quite beautiful, aren't they?" asks Sekashi

"...I liked how I looked before..." Friesden looks a bit wistful. "Why do I have these stripes anyway?"

"Maybe you have a zebra ancestor, little one." says Sekashi.

“Well I think your stripes are beautiful malyutka.” Glyph looks back at Sekashi and shakes his head. "Name’s Glyph, don't really need an oracle, just basic information. I want to make sure Friesden is taken care of right, and I don't want to mess anything up because of a lack of knowledge."

"I see, so you are looking after her now, and you want to know about foals, yes?" asks Sekashi.

Friesden scrunches her head in thought. "Why do you need to ask the zebras about how to take care of me? Can't you ask mum? Isn't that what you were talking about?"

"I've had my foals, and your mum isn't here. I can answer his questions, if he wants me to." Sekashi looks at Glyph, then at one of their wagons, then at Glyph again.

Friesden 's face is marked with confusion. "But... But... Mum was talking to him!"

"Glyph is concerned about you, child. He wants to learn as much about upbringing foals as he can. From your mum, from other mums, and from me. If he wants to learn about the zebra way of rising children, who am I to deny him the knowledge?" asks Sekashi.

"Not about foals in general... I remember enough... actually I'm acting as a stabil'nyi˘ otets for the foals here. Just about Friesden... I don't know if I'll need to do anything... different." He rubs the back of his head. "Mainly medical stuff probably."

Azikiwe smiles to Friesden. "It is rarely harmful to seek the advice of another. And, if you are as special as you might be, it could be helpful for your... caretaker, to understand more of our kind."

Friesden has confusion on her entire body now. "But I'm not special. I'm just another pony."

Azikiwe chuckles "As we all are."

Friesden has still got confusion all over her. "Aren't you a zebra?"

"It matters not, if you are special. Just if you are happy with it. And yes, we are zebras. We are not so different from the ponies." Sekashi looks intensely at the filly, than adds "I see this is a difficult time for you, child. Just have faith that things will turn out for the best for you. Ponies care and look after you. As for your friend, he looks for his answers wherever he can find them." She then looks at Glyph, and walks off towards one of their wagons.

Glyph looks at Friesden. "Do you mind just playing with your new friend here? I think Sekashi wants to talk to me privately."

"Um. Okay." says Friesden.

Glyph tousles her mane, then goes to follow the zebra

Azikiwe smiles and nods "Yes, tell me more about yourself, young one while Sekashi and your friend talk."

Friesden tells him about her mum and dad, and almost-dad and her siblings. Azikiwe smiles and listens, sometimes asking her questions. Eventually she gets excited, and starts flying around in circles again.

Sekashi walks towards one of their wagons, jumps inside, looks through a chest, and emerges with a book. They are both still in sight of the filly, while Azikiwe keeps her occupied. “Talking about zebra foals confuses and upsets her. It is better for us to talk alone.” She taps the book with her hoof. It looks rather old and used. “What would you like to know? There are some differences, brews we make for the foals to make them stronger, trials, exercises. None of these things is truly essential."

"I just want to make sure I don't cause problems. I... I don't know a lot, but I know some medicine and other things will even effect the different kinds of ponies differently..." He looks back at Friesden. "I don't wanna hurt her by accident..."

"Ah, I see. Yes, some kinds of potions work differently with ponies and zebras, but regular food and drink are the same. If her mother was able to hide her here this long as a Pegasus, I wouldn't expect any problems. Do you know how much zebra blood does she have exactly?"

"How much?" Glyph cocks his head, "Um... her father was a zebra... is that what you wanted to know?"

"Yes, that is what I was asking about.” Sekashi nods, then asks "Do you know if she has wings after her mother or father? Ibises usually keep to our homeland."

“Her mother was a Pegasus.” Glyph shrugs, “Dunno what her father was... didn't think I should ask... does that change anything?”

“No, it shouldn't change much. She has wings either way. But why is her being a half-zebra such a problem to ponies? She looks healthy, if unhappy for a child." asks Sekashi after a moment of silence.

Glyph shrugs. "I don't care. I love malyutka's stripes, and the rest of her. Although I think the fact that her mother is married might be a part of it."

"Ah, I see how that would cause a problem. As to your questions, she could be more vulnerable to some herbs, but nothing that should matter. There is a chance of sterility, and other disabilities, but she looks healthy, so that shouldn't be a problem either. I've seen only a handful of zonies in my life, and most managed just fine. As for zebra foals," she opens her book. It is in zebra, but there are some illustrations. "I can tell you a lot, but it will take some time. From what I have seen ponies teach their foals to rely on each other, while my people consider self-reliance and ability to survive a great virtue. So we teach our foals the basics of survival before they are sent on a journey to discover their glyph.” explains Sekashi.

"I see, so the glyph... that's what you have instead of a cutie mark right?" He looks at the pictures. "Dunno which one she'll have... though she probably won't wanna learn too much about zebra culture... she still doesn't seem to understand what she is."


"At some point you will have to tell her, but now is not the time. Yes, if she wants to be a pony, and grows among ponies, then bring her up as a pony. The cutie mark is what you ponies have instead of glyphs, true. But glyphs are more symbolic in meaning, and only clear to those who can read them. She will be raised by ponies, so she is more likely to have a cutie mark, than a glyph. Not that it matters, as both are just external representations of our special talents." She looks him in the eyes "You are now her caretaker, yes?"

Glyph chews his lip. "I suppose worst case I can always ask the next caravan questions... yeah I’m acting as her father now. Why do you wanna know?"

"You are taking care of her, that is good. But what about her family? Her mother?"

"Her mother..." Glyph gets a faraway look in his eyes for a moment. "She... she still cares deeply for Friesden, and she will try to spend as much time as she can with her but..." Glyph shakes his head and sighs. "Her father... that Smert' rog... he threw Friesden out, and there are the other foals, Friesden's siblings, her mother can't just leave them..."

"Ah, that must be hard for all of them.” her smile disappears briefly. “I have an advice for you. The most important thing to teach her is the ability to be grateful for the gift of breathing. To endure and thrive in any conditions. That, and not standing in the way of what she is to become. But those are lessons for later, she may be still to young to understand."

"The importance of breathing huh..." Glyph thinks a bit. "Not sure I even understand fully... but like you said, that can wait for now."

"Are you happy? Or are you worried now?" asks Sekashi, cocking her head.

"No, not worried...." Glyph watches Friesden flying around Azikiwe's head. "Not for me at least... I want to do everything right for her... no matter what she feels... she's my daughter now... my first..."

Meanwhile, Azikiwe sits back with a smile, watching the filly circle happily.

"There are always some things you must do. Some trials you must face. Some things to prepare for. But as long as you know you can handle them, you don't need to worry. You are still young and healthy. You can handle life. Teach her that. She is now your responsibility, and you need to take care of her. Look after her, and learn what you can about foals, but don't worry. You don't need to." Sekashi looks Glyph in the eyes, and then at flying Friesden.

"I... I will." He smiles a bit. "Thank you. I may know how to take care of foals... but this is different... this one's mine. I won't worry, I'll just be there for her... always, just as I promised."

"I see that this is difficult for you and her family, but things will work out in the end. Trust in that, and take care of her. As for her mother’s husband, bucks sometimes value their honor above their responsibilities. From what I heard, he took his wife's infidelity very badly. Try to convince him to let his wife and children see the filly."

"Let them?" Glyph chuckles darkly. "He doesn't have a choice in the matter. Besides, she now has a father in the militia, and two mothers, one guard and one militia. I don't think he he'll be refusing her anything."

Sekashi notices the change in Glyph's mood. Two mothers? "So you are going to threaten him? He took this hard. If you push him too much, he may snap. The blue unicorn said, he doesn't even recognize the child."

"He doesn't seem to. But that's no excuse. There is absolutely no excuse for hurting a foal. Especially this foal." Glyph smiles grimly. "But no, I won't threaten him. Not unless he does something intentional to harm Friesden."

"Yes, he did hurt her, and his wife and their other children. That is his crime. But did he do it to hurt them, or because he himself was hurt? How long has he known, she is not of his blood? How did he find out? Do your laws say he can abandon a foal that is not his? Consider these questions. It is good that you seek only to protect the child. Hurting the old fool further won't do any good to his wife and the foals, and it won't teach him anything."

Glyph shakes his head. "I just said, I'm not going to threaten him. I'm just angry at the hurt he caused. You may be right, and I doubt he did it to be malicious, but it's still not something easy to forget." he scuffs the ground with a hoof, "But I won't hurt him. It wouldn't solve anything, and it would break Friesden's heart."

"Good, so you understand this is about making things better, not revenge.” Sekashi puts a hoof on Glyph’s withers. “Tell me about the blue unicorn, Indigo. How is he involved into all this?"

"Indigo... he works with Carmine apparently, and Carmine asked him to do something about me and Friesden." Glyph shrugs. "Like I said, he really doesn't seem to remember her."

"He came to me asking if we lost a foal. He then told me there is a striped foal in the town, that wasn't here before, but she knows things about the camp, as if she were here for a long time. He mentioned this Carmine only briefly. Perhaps I should talk to him again. He wasn't malicious, but rather apologetic for even asking. He seems concerned about his friend, and the foal as well, and most of all confused. I told him to help his friend if he asks, but let other ponies handle this otherwise." Sekashi sighs. "And that we didn't lose a foal, and would notice an Ibis following our caravan."

"Are you telling me to stay out? Or... why are you telling me about this?"

“Because you need to understand the situation well to handle it well, and there are a lot of ponies already involved. You said, the blue unicorn is working with Carmine. It may be so, but I do not think he will be causing you trouble, or trying to hurt the filly. If he tries, explain things to him alone. He means well, but is confused." Sekashi laughs "Otherwise the silly pony wouldn't be asking me about a lost foal."

Glyph looks confused. "Of course he doesn't mean harm, he was trying to help me, and her. At least it seems like he was... even I could tell he wasn't trying to hurt anypony."

After a pause Sekashi adds, "The biggest thing of concern about him is how he reacts to the mother. From what I gather he finds infidelity to be a great crime."

"Oh... I hope he won't cause problems there... or for me, some ponies might see Stiletto, Kat, and me as... wrong. Maybe... still don't understand a lot of that stuff." says Glyph with concern.

Sekashi raises her brow at that, but decides not to inquire about their relationships. Instead she says: "Well, your responsibility is taking care of the filly now. You can't protect every pony in this place, but other guards could keep a discrete watch on Carmine's family, for a few weeks at least. You also have other things to consider. You should find out what your leader has to say about this. What does pony law say about dispossessing and adopting a child? These things may not seem important to you, but it is good to handle them properly, so that nopony will cause her trouble."

"Maybe... I've talked to Virtue... but everypony seems to think Carmine will get better, and just... take her back." Glyph looks over at Friesden sadly. "I... I'm not so sure... and I'm even less sure which would be better..."

"Perhaps he will. Perhaps he won't. Indigo said, Carmine doesn't even seem to remember her now. He could by lying. He could be insane. He could be shielding himself from shame and hurt. In any case forcing him to take her back will do her no good. You can't make him love her."

"I..." Glyph sighs. "I don't want him to take her back really... um... don't tell anypony that though. I... I really shouldn't act like that..."

Sekashi looks at the circling filly. "I understand, and your secrets are safe with me, as long as they endanger nopony or zebra. You care about the filly, and want the best for her. Adopting her might be a better course of action than giving her back. Just make sure, she can see her mother, and play with other foals. This won't be easy for her, but in time she will understand."

"Of... of course, I wouldn't take her away from her mother... never. But... I don't know if the others would allow me to adopt her, like I said, they all seem to think he'll get better and take her back."

"Time will show. My best advice is to be ready for both. For now just take care of her as best as you can, and talk to your leader about adoption.” After a pause Sekashi adds “Now, is there anything else you'd like to ask me about?"

"I... I don't think so. Like I said, mainly I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to hurt her by accident."

"Would you like to buy something then? Or did you just come to us to talk?" Sekashi speaks with a sudden spark in her eye.

"Buy something? I kinda just came to talk... didn't know there was more to do..."

Sekashi puts away her book. "Well, you asked me for advice, and I gave it to you, but our main service is trade. Just look around if you want anything. We have cloth, food, jewelry, herbal medicine, some curiosities and other things." She gestures towards their wares and smiles.

“Trade..” Glyph shakes his head. “Why would you... never-mind. I should probably just head home. Or maybe take her to see her siblings, Carmine should be busy at work right now.”

“Of course. Come back if you need anything or have further questions. As for why would you... buy something from us, is that what you wanted to ask? We are a trade caravan. Shall I explain you how this works?” asks Sekashi with a playful smile.

Glyph chuckles slightly. “I think I get the idea, just still don’t understand why, I have food, shelter, my clothes... and now I even have some family... why should I get anything?” He shrugs. “Guess this is what Stiletto has to deal with a lot. It was nice meeting you Sekashi, you think you’re going to be in the next caravan?”

“Ah, a pony of little needs, are you now? That is commendable. As I told you, our people consider self-reliance to be a virtue.” she smiles and looks into Glyph’s eyes, then adds. “Lady Virtue does most of the trading with us, but some ponies have special needs and want various trinkets for themselves. And yes, if the gods are good, I’ll be back next year. Goodbye to you, then.” Sekashi walks Glyph and Friesden out of the depot, and waves her hoof at them, while Azikiwe bows, and says “It was a pleasure to meet you”.

Glyph walks home, smiling as he watched Friesden flying around. ‘She might not understand what she is... but she’s still happy. With what Sekashi said, looks like I won’t have to worry about doing anything wrong because of her heritage either.’ He trots forward, next to Friesden. “I bet I can beatcha back home!” He chuckles and runs forward, happy to have made a new friend in the caravan, and happy to have his daughter.

PreviousChapters Next