• Published 2nd Mar 2013
  • 2,455 Views, 80 Comments

My Little Fortress: Dawnpick - Paaaad



Seven Ponies, One Fortress. Let's see how this goes. 149 chapters and counting.

  • ...
12
 80
 2,455

PreviousChapters Next
5: Babbling Brook

Virtue's Diary - 16th Timber, 252

I've been dreading this day since the moment I decided to found this settlement. It was inevitable that tragedy would strike us eventually, but that doesn't lessen the sting in the least.

It pains me to even record here what happened. Brook was out by the river fishing today, as she does most every day. Nopony saw the thief until it was too late, and it was clear that Brook was slain without knowing what hit her.

Hickory happened across the aftermath, where the monster was picking over her body. The scene she described was sickening. Halberd and Naginata jumped into action, and at the very least they slew the thief in turn. It's little consolation.

I've arranged for a small ceremony for her tomorrow morning. Nopony deserved what happened to her.

Not sure if it's against the rules to post fairly tame blood / gore like that, but I can move it to a spoiler tag if it bothers anypony I suppose. Considering how graphic combat is in the game, I assume Toady doesn't mind anyway.*1


Naginata's Log - 16th Timber, 252

It's days like this that I remember why I didn't reenlist in Coupledye. I didn't think this peaceful little community would really need my help, but I was dead wrong. One of the civilians was killed today. A fisherpony named Brook. I hadn't really met her, but her passing has certainly affected most of the community.

I got to see Halberd's true side today. Up until now our association was mostly limited to sparring sessions in the half completed barracks, where I pegged him for a stoic and no-nonsense pony. Something I can respect in a commander.

When we found the thief gleefully stripping Brook's body of everything of any worth, Halberd changed completely. Stoicism changed in an instant to passion and wrath unlike I've seen before. I never even made it to the thief. Halberd leaped from our overlooking position and utterly destroyed our foe. By the time he was satisfied with the carnage, the thief was in about as many pieces as it could conceivably be in.

At first I was a bit terrified of him, but after we exchanged a few words, I have even more respect for the stallion now. He is a true soldier. Having one of the ponies placed under his care taken from us in such a senseless act of depravity was something he couldn't stand.

Some of the civilians are afraid of him and most everypony tries to avoid him, but they don't understand. He would never abandon them or willingly let them come to harm, and in the end there is probably nopony who they should trust more.


That's the story I'm running with anyway. Halberd went bananas on the thief and spent 6 pages hacking him to bits, followed by chopping off each leg. I'll leave specific characterization to The Master, of course.


Virtue's Diary - 17th Timber, 252

Well, we had the ceremony today. Most everypony was there. It wasn't much, I admit. This isn't something I've ever done before, but I gave the eulogy. I knew Brook as well as anypony else here, but there were things I could appreciate that perhaps the others couldn't.

We may well owe our lives to that pony. If she hadn't come and fished up so many turtles and mussels, we may well have starved long ago. She deserved a medal for her actions. But instead, a lowly thief from the twisted little badger ponies took her life. Over a fishing pole.

A few ponies teared up a bit during the ceremony, and I'll admit I nearly did the same. I was present as we interred her in her final resting place in the newly dug out crypt. After that I locked myself I my office and I did lose it then. I'm not sure I'm cut out for this job. We had to expect losses, but that thought doesn't help me accept what happened anymore.

I don't know what to do. I probably won't be getting much sleep tonight.


Flux' Journal

So, this is Dawnpick. Huh. It's not what I expected, that's for sure. Oh, there's a bunch of ore that needs smelting, but that's not what I mean. I thought there would be a lot of smelters and smiths is all. I was told this was supposed to be a major metal production hub, but it looks like we're still getting the basics up and running. Ah well, I'm sure I'll get to smelt something soon.


Galena 11

Well that was fast! Only four days after I arrive and we get a smelter up and running! Pewter, the mare metalworker who helped me, looked to be happy as well. We'll both be able to get to work soon.


Galena 15

One of the carpenter mares just finished an incredible chair. I have no idea how she made it so spikey and yet so comfortable! I asked her about it, and we talked for hours about it and other things. Looks like I have a new friend, and her name is Bevel! Ballista won't believe it, heh. She was the only one in the migration group I got along with well, I hope her and Bevel hit it off also.


Timber 16

Looks like I wasn't the only one who heard there was a lot of ore here: A badger Pegasus thief thought we'd make an easy mark. It killed Brook, one of the fishermares. I didn't know her very well, but nopony deserved her death. Halberd and Naginata, our martial ponies, dealt with the murderer. Halberd was absolutely covered in blood and looked pretty mad about the ordeal, maybe he knew Brook personally?


Timber 17

We buried Brook today. She was vital to Dawnpick getting up and running, they said. Apparently, she almost single-hoofedly provided the meals for a while before the fields could be harvested. She was a hero in her small way, and we all feel her absence. Especially Virtue, I think they were friends.

Everypony is trying to think of ways to make sure this doesn't happen again. A wall is the most agreed upon solution, but I think we need some real defenses. A wall is good to keep out animals, but it takes strong ponies with weapons to defend against invaders like the badger pegasi. Unfortunately, we don't have many ponies to spare for training, and that'd take a while anyway. I think we should make some traps, or at least a drawbridge to seal the fort up if we have to. I'll try talking to Virtue about it in a day or two. I think she needs some time to deal with her loss.


Virtue's Diary - 18th Timber

I'm scared. I don't like to admit it, but I am rightly and truly scared. So are many of the others. I haven't seen any of the foals out and about today, and I don't blame their parents for keeping them indoors.

Another thief was spotted today, this time out by the quarry. The cursed little vermin slew a water buffalo wandering nearby, for the simple pleasure of it. Nopony could find Naginata at first, but Halberd rushed into action. After how he handled the last thief, I felt confident in his skills.

I didn't see what happened, but Halberd was wounded in the fight. A bad cut to the back. Naginata arrived to strike the thief down, but Halberd was incapacitated. He's resting in the hospital now. Panacea asked us all to leave while she tended to him, but I'm worried. He was bleeding a lot.

I pray he's not hurt that badly. We don't have enough guards as it is, and even though we've had our differences in the past, I don't want anything bad to happen to him. I'll go check up on him tomorrow. I didn't sleep well last night, and I feel tonight will be no different.


Panacea's Diary - 18th Timber, 252

When I heard that somepony was hurt, my heart skipped a beat. We've been out here for over a year without any serious injuries, so it was bound to happen eventually, but that doesn't make it any easier. In fact, after a year without having to really use my knowledge, I was worried.

Then I saw it was Halberd, and when I saw the injury, I think my heart stopped completely. He took a deep puncture wound to the back, and many ponies never walk again after such an injury. He was still standing though, and I have to admit I'm impressed at his strong will. He limped in without help, but the pain was evident. He was sucking in his breath through his teeth with each step.

It didn't take long to confirm that he would recover. The blade had been stopped by his spine, which is a frightening thought, but the vertebra wasn't broken and no nerves were injured. I cleaned the wound as best I could and dressed it. He'll be fine, but it's going to take some time to recover. A little further one way and he could be paralyzed, or have bled to death from his kidney.

Virtue was worried sick, and I don't blame her. This incident reminded me that we really need a well or other clean water source, as soon as possible. I'll bring it up when I speak to Virtue about Halberd.


Virtue's Diary - 19th Timber

When I went to check with Panacea this morning, something even more terrifying happened. A third thief was wandering through the middle of the settlement, as if he owned the place! I let out a cry and bolted for the hospital at once, which I think only excited the little monster, as he promptly gave chase.

I thought I was going to be joining Brook, but to my shock and surprise Halberd burst from the hospital, axe in mouth. Without missing a step, he tore the thief apart, strewing its body parts across the road.

I wasn't sure if I was more afraid of the badger pony thieves or Halberd at this point, but he calmed down immediately after slaying the fiend. He muttered something about doing his duty and limped back into the hospital with my help.

That may be the bravest thing I've ever seen anypony do. Even with a blood soaked bandage wrapped around his midsection, Halberd sprang to my aid and probably saved my life. I think I may have misjudged him. He was as reluctant to talk about it as ever, but I think he deserves a reward of some sort.

I probably shouldn't tell him that we've set up tombs for him and Naginata in the crypt. It's a morbid thing to do for the living, but in the event that something disastrous happens, I want them to be remembered forever.

At least Panacea tells me Halberd will be fine. That was quite a relief. She reminded me of the need of a well, which I hadn't forgotten but kept getting pushed back on my list. I think she's right though, and I'll see what I can do about getting one set up near the hospital.

More important than a well at this point is something to keep the thieves out. I don't think Halberd is in any position to draw up defense plans. I heard that one of our recent arrivals, Flux I think, has some experience with building mechanics of various sorts. Perhaps I could bring him and Naginata together to flesh out some ideas. Even a few simple traps of some sort would surely help.

Not sure how that happened, actually. If Halberd was really in the hospital at that point, he shouldn't have been able to help. I guess he hadn't made it the bed yet. Also, I'll see what I can do about doodling a pony avatar for Flux, unless you want to use the pony maker or forgo it altogether. Your choice. *2

Author's Note:

*1 This refers to Toady One, AKA Tarn Adams, The developer of Dwarf Fortress
*2 Telgin made avatars for each claimed pony, as well as the starting seven. I may go back and add these in at the proper spots later on.

Just in case It's not just me, here is the link to the image:
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120425063846/dawnpickglitterglen/images/5/55/BabblingBrookDeath.jpg

PreviousChapters Next