• Published 16th Sep 2011
  • 14,590 Views, 1,179 Comments

Under The Northern Lights - CoastalSarv



Luna and Twilight travel to the northern land of the reindeer on a diplomatic mission

  • ...
11
 1,179
 14,590

Twentyeight

"I didn't bring them here so you could kill them!" growled Kvalhissir.

"Then you should not have brought them!" said the warrior. The surrounding moose snorted steam and looked at each other, some nodding, some scowling.

"Please, we mean no harm!" cried Vigg. "We only wanted to learn -"

"No HARM?!" snarled the warrior. "Since when have you little ones meant anything else than harm to a moose?"

"They're just calves!" said Kvalhissir with narrowed eyes.

"They came from the mountains. They took our forests," said the warrior next to him. "They have killed many moose. Bull, cow and one-year calf."

"You should not know of us," the first warrior said to Vigg. "You should not know of this place. You should die." He looked at the old cow for support but she seemed rather uninterested. Her eyes seemed closed as if in thought.

"We should kill them now, Revered Ancestress," he said to her. Her bodyguards looked at the warrior, at her, and then back at him, but she didn't look up.

"Look, just listen to us - " Vigg began.

"Yeah!" said one of the other moose maybe ten paces away from Kvalhissir. He looked younger than the others though Vigg certainly wasn't an expert on the moose life cycle."Kill them now!"

"Yes," said Saga, "Kill us now!"

Everydeer turned to her, Vigg the fastest.

"If you're not willing to listen to Prince Vigg, kill us now!" She was speaking the moose tongue with a moose dialect, bellowing and moo-ing.

The young moose seemed unnerved, the older warriors annoyed.

"Why do -" the first one began.

"When The Great Winter comes. When The Great Winter kills all. When The Great Winter freezes all," Saga said undaunted and went to him. "Then it is best to be dead."

"Frozen carcasses don't feel the hunger," she said and went to another moose. He trampled on the spot and avoided her gaze. Saga caught him anyway. "Like you will."

"Frozen bones don't feel the chill," she said as she walked over to the moose next to him, a middle-aged cow who shied away completely. "Like your calves will."

"Frozen bones don't feel grief," she said to the next, who stood still and met her gaze, looking at her as if she was crazy. "Like you will for the lakes and tarns."

Saga turned to the moose mob as if to a congregation.

"The Great Winter is here," she said and spread her forelegs as dramatically as is possible for a quadruped. "The Nidhogg already swarm. They will turn the trees to dust and the lakes to ice with their breath. The Tursu will crawl up from the fjords and spew plague and poison. All the beasts will die. Then the Skoll will come. They will feast on the frozen carcasses for a year. Then they too will starve and fall upon each other. Nothing will be left but dust. And ice. And poison. And loneliness."

She went back to the young moose.

"Kill me now," she begged him. "I won't have to suffer. Go on. I am standing right here. I won't move."

"But... I... it... but..." he stammered, sweating.

"Or you can listen to Prince Vigg," she said to him but her gaze turned to the old cow, her eyes half-shut but her ears moving.

"And why would he know about this?" asked the first warrior moose, made of stronger stuff than the almost-calf.

"Because I told him," said Saga calmly and trotted over to him.

"Then why would you know about this?" he snorted, towering over her.

"Because I am Saga. My name means 'seer' in our language and I have seen the futures that could be!" she boasted."Because I am Daggmule's servant. She talks to me. She has shown me Bjorn-Edda who whines and turns in her bed."

The moose snorted again.

"She speaks true," Kvalhissir said. "Daggmule has seen fit to visit the little ones. I have taken refuge in her temple."

"I would like to hear what she has to say," the old cow said, her voice small and quiet yet audible above the bellowing ones. Saga sound very much like a moose despite her size.

"Revered Ancestress..." the warrior began, sounding frustrated.

"I would like to hear what she has to say," said the old cow. Her half-shut eyes turned to him and for a moment became fully open. There was a glimpse of the deep blue of a sky at dusk and points of cold white light.

"Yes, Revered Ancestress," he mumbled.

"Saga..." Vigg gasped. "I can't... you... since when does she speak Ancient Cervine? With a moose... accent?" he said to Kvalhissir.

The farmer gave him a rare smile and licked the ear of the warrior next to him who jumped about six feet into the sky.

"Ah," said Vigg.


The moose had used this place for ages. They quickly set up a camp-fire the moose way, half inside, half outside the cave. (The fawns had, of course, used the wrong place when they made fire.) Vigg and Saga laid by a fire. The Revered Ancestress lay in front of them and Kvalhissir beside them, and the warriors were standing close. The rest of the moose huddled around, not talking, trying to listen. There was some sort of spruce-tea that tasted like resin in their jugs.

"It is said," said the old cow, "that four hundred hooves went to take the Grotte. That was only the warriors. With them were twice as many shield-bearers, bathers, chefs and wood-gatherers.”

“That many? That seems unlikely,” said Vigg.

"Much battle was had, but not with the holders of the Grotte,” she continued, ignoring him. “Only with the others who sought the Grotte. But finally, they closed in on him. He had taken shelter in the deep valley near Bjorn-Edda's resting place."

"Which 'deep valley'?" asked Vigg.

"Hush, prince!" said the old cow. "All parts of a story come at their place or there is no story. The Grottebearer had taken shelter, and his enemies closed in from each direction of the wind. They hurried to reach him first. We hurried to reach him first. The followers were left behind to allow the warriors free march."

She made a pause and made a sign. One of the warriors more or less poured tea down her throat.

"Then snow came, and all warriors were dead," she continued. "The Grottebearer and his artefact were gone."

"Snow?" asked Vigg. "A blizzard? A lavine?"

"Snow," said the cow. She finally moved a hoof and drew in the snow, rolling over to reach.

"Then, there was a deep valley near Joukulvakt." She drew two triangles next to each other, one large and one small.

"Snow came," she explained and drew a straight line from the tip of the smaller triangle to the side of the other. "The deep valley was no more."

"How could...?" Vigg wondered.

"The followers fled home. They met many others who also fled, but all warriors were dead. War was gone, and when they reached their homes, winter was also gone," the cow finished.

"And what about Sampo... I mean, the Grotte?" asked Saga.

The old cow took Vigg's hoof and planted a reindeer footprint in the middle of the "valley".

"The Grottebearer," she said. She dabbed at the snow, making a circle of dots around the hoofprint. "All the warriors who wanted to take the Grotte."

"Wait," said Vigg. "Are you saying, ma'am, that the Sampo is buried under the southern tail of Joukulvakt Glacier?"

"It was the place it was last seen," said the cow. "Only the Grottebearer and his accursed sorcerer of a father knows exactly where, because it must have fallen at their last stand. They can't tell."

"Because they are dead," said the first warrior.

"Thanks," Saga told him with a scowl. "Great is the wisdom of the moose!"

"How can anything even be dug up from that place!?" groaned Vigg and facehoofed. "Even if we knew where to look?"

The gathered moose looked apologetic.

"You could ask the Skoll to dig it out," the warrior moose joked. No one laughed.

There was silence. Saga's face drooped. Vigg looked more angry than sad.

Then suddenly, Saga perked up.

"Thanks, Revered Ancestress!" she said and smiled at the old cow. "I am sure your information can help us on our quest! May Daggmule bless you and reward you!"

The old cow smirked a bit and nodded.

Saga untangled one of her necklaces, made from moon-sickles cut from tin and memorial Equestrian coins to Princess Luna's honor.

"Please take this with her blessing," she said.

Vigg was about to protest, and Kvalhissir showed another rare smirk, but the moose let Saga hang it around her neck (luckily, it was clasped) where it settled among the mass of jewelry.

"Thanks, oh Volva of Daggmule," the old cow said, her strange, dark blue eyes fully open and a merry glint in them.

"Your story might not have convinced me, but it surprised and amused me. Nothing in this world surprises or amuses me anymore,” she complained. “My bones are too old and cold to feel the winter and I am glad to stir and get warm."

With some difficulty she unhooked one of her piercings, a thick and wide gold ring, from her nose and handed it to Saga.

"Take this in return, little Seer," she said.

Saga accepted it solemnly and curtsied. With a different kind of difficulty she hooked it into her own nose before Vigg could protest.

"How...?" he sputtered.

"Old biercing, old 'ole," Saga said. The ring bumped against her muzzle as she talked.

"Now I must go," said the cow, "if I can get these young idiots to pull straight."

The two warriors who cared for her little sled which seemed to be the moose equivalent of a wheelchair made themselves ready. The other two warriors started to round up the herd.

"Onwards! Forwards! We leave! We leave and spread!" one of them shouted.

The moose milled about for a while, then they trotted away into the forest, down the hill.

Walking almost an inch up in the air, above the snow.

"So that's how you do it!" Vigg gasped to Kvalhissir.

"Some can even gallop through the air. During cold midwinter nights," Kvalhissir boasted. "I have never heard of reindeer doing that!"

Vigg looked at him.

"All but our best can only do it for a short time," he confessed.

"Making no tracks is not hiding tracks," said Vigg, then remembered the situation. "Well, this was a disappointment! And we were that close to getting killed!"

"Well, we bin't!" said Saga cheerfully.

"Great is the wisdom of the reindeer," mocked Kvalhissir.

"You didn't tell them that Saga also means 'fairy tale'," said Vigg.

"And Vigg can bean both a lightning bolb and a small 'uck," Saga retorted. "I faved your flank, bister!"

"I didn't know they would be THAT suspicious," Kvalhissir sighed. "I'm deeply sorry!"

"Everybing went fine," said Saga. "Be know where the Fampo is!"

"But not exactly where, or how to get to it," said Vigg.

"Laper 'teps!" she said.

"Remove that ring, Volva of Daggmule, and lets go home," said Vigg.

"Whatever you fay!" said Saga and kissed him on the cheek.

Vigg had no real convulsion, this time, but he had to catch his breath a little before they put on the skis and went back home.


As usual, thanks to Wheelwright and LadyMoondancer for proofreading. And thanks to everyone who have read this and rated this - a hundred people rating and counting, and such nice things you say!