• Published 7th Mar 2013
  • 700 Views, 90 Comments

The Spectrum Chronicles: Dashes of Spectra - SonicRainbowDashie



Family reunions are great, unless there are secrets hidden...

  • ...
17
 90
 700

09 - The Beginning of the Rainbow Isn't So Bright

"Where are you kidnapping me to anyway?" Spectra asked Rainbow jokingly as they flew away from the library.

"I'm not kidnapping you." Dash replied with a chuckle, "We heading off to the mountain."

"Why couldn't the other girls know where we were going then?"

"Because. I don't want them to follow us. Don't get me wrong, they're my friends. But I want to just hang out with you." Rainbow gave a friendly smile to Spectra.

Spectra smiled back, but soon went back to her questioning look, "I thought you told me that only pegasi can get up there?"

"Well not exactly. Like I said, there used to be a dragon up in that cave. Me and the girls went off to try to get rid of him. So technically earth ponies can get up there." Rainbow paused for a second, "Besides, Twi could probably just fly up there now that she has wings and all."

"Okay, I get it. Why are you so anxious to get there anyways?"

"Well... I'll explain when we get there."

"Okay then..."

**********

The two spectrum-maned pegasi made it to their little hideout. They both landed on the summit with ease. The mountain was so high, they were above the rain clouds.

"Alright now tell me." Spectra said to Dash as they trotted over to the cliffside and sat down.

Spectra looked over across Ponyville. She was unable to see the town, due to cloud cover.

"Well I talked to a couple of pegasi during the preparations, after you and Twi went to the library." Rainbow began.

"Go on..." Spectra replied.

"One if the pegasi in Ponyville are good friends with my Aunt Sapphire." Rainbow continued.

Sapphire... That name sounds familiar... Spectra thought to herself as Dash spoke, "Okay, so you think we should go to talk to your Aunt Sapphire, to see if we have any connection?"

"Exactly!" Dash exclaimed, "It's gonna be so awesome Spec!" She did a small loop in the air out of excitement.

Spectra chuckled at the other ponies excitement, "Calm down Dash. Why are you so excited about this anyways?"

Rainbow Dash obeyed and fluttered down next to Spectra, "Well..." Dash looked unsure, "I dunno. I guess it's just if you are my relative, I will be very happy. I never really had a family..."

"Oh?" Spectra asked concerned.

"Well, my parents passed when I was only a filly. And I pretty much grew up alone." Rainbow started to tear up, "Besides Fluttershy, I had nopony..."

"Oh..." Spectra replied, not sure what to say.

"Not to mention getting made fun of in flight school..."

"About what?"

"...Being a fillyfooler... I didn't even know I was into mares then. They just did it because of the colors of my mane."

"Well Dash. I wouldn't know myself. I didn't really get to go to fillygarten or anything like that. But-"

"You didn't?" Rainbow Dash asked, cutting off Spectra.

"Well no. I guess I lost my chance to..."

"Why didn't you?" Dash asked in a caring tone, still teary-eyed.

Spectra thought a moment before answering her friend, "I don't really wanna talk about it. But I don't remember my parents very well. I really don't know if they passed or not... I guess you can say, I was taken away as a young filly..."

"Oh?" Dash said, confused slightly.

"Don't worry about it..." Spectra paused a moment to catch her breath. She felt herself getting teary-eyed as well, "But I also would love to be your family. And be there for you. And even if we aren't related biologically, I'll still be there for you. You have been the nicest to me since I came here to Ponyville." Spectra said, trying to comfort the sorrow Rainbow.

Rainbow sniffled and wiped away her tears, "Thanks Spectra. You're the best."

"I thought you were the best?" Spectra asked jokingly, giving a wink.

"Okay, maybe second best." Rainbow Dash said, winking back.

Spectra laughed, and so did Rainbow Dash. When the laughter subsided, the mares were silent. Nothing awkward, they were just enjoying the peacefulness.

Spectra looked at Rainbow, Come on. Tell her! You can trust her. Do it. Stop being a scaredy pony! Spectra soon found herself arguing with her own thoughts. "Stop." She said as she tapped her head with her hoof.

"What's that Spectra?" Rainbow asked, who was lounging on the ground.

"Oh, nothing." Spectra replied, "Umm, Rainbow?"

"Mhmm?"

No. I can't. "Nothing..."

Rainbow laughed, "You're so random."

Spectra just chuckled in response.

The mares just laid silently for several moment before Spectra spoke up again.

"Hey Rainbow?"

"Yes?"

"Have you ever had anything, like a secret or anything? That you wanted to tell somepony? But just couldn't?"

"May have... Why? Is something bothering you Spec?"

"Maybe..."

Rainbow chuckled, "Well I'm not into the whole secrets thing, but if you got something you wanna get off you chest then I'm here for you to tell."

"Alright. Thanks Dash. You're the best." Spectra said, as she lounged back and smiled.

"I know." Rainbow replied, giving a cocky chuckle.

"Feather-brain..." Spectra muttered.

"Hey!" Rainbow stated in defense.

Spectra laughed and looked at Rainbow. She just gave Dash a wink and chuckled again.

The two pegasi lounged atop their hideout, and enjoyed the peaceful, serene feel of the cool mountain air. The calming sound of the rain falling from the clouds below them. Spectra eventually dozed off into a sweet, silent nap.