• Published 7th Mar 2013
  • 700 Views, 90 Comments

The Spectrum Chronicles: Dashes of Spectra - SonicRainbowDashie



Family reunions are great, unless there are secrets hidden...

  • ...
17
 90
 700

04 - Works of a New Rainbow

The morning sun shined bright through the cloud layer of Spectra's room, waking her up almost instantly. Rainbow Dash was kind enough to lend Spectra the guest bedroom in her cloud home. Spectra groaned as she got up and walked toward the mirror in the room.

What a night. Never had that much fun since, Celestia knows when. She shook out her mane as she thought to herself.

The other night, Spectra and Rainbow stayed up at the mountain most of the night talking. They talked about they're tricks, Spectra's old jobs, even about their filly days. It was a nice night for Spectra. She doesn't have those kind of things much in the big city.

Spectra was interrupted in getting ready by a cyan pegasus crashing through her cloud floor. She was startled so bad she almost fell back into her bed, "Dang it Dash! You gave me a scare just there. Don't you know not to sneak up on a mare when she's getting ready?"

"Haha! You should of seen your face!" Rainbow exclaimed, mimicking Spectra's face when she was startled. She wiped her tears from laughing away and continued, "Anyways, loosen up Spec If ya wanna be on my weather team, you gotta be loose and agile."

"I'm sure if anyone knows agility it's me." Spectra stated with a show-off smile on her face.

"You think so, huh? Alright. Well I hope you don't mind but I told the other pegasi to take the day off. I'm gonna teach ya a little something something about that trick you tried in Manehatten.

"Teach me? I had the trick perfectly fine. The mach cone threw me off." she replied in defense.

"Exactly! I'm going to teach you how to control that." Dash said with a wink, "Now let's go! I gotta feed Tank and then we are going out to the skies!" She finished, flying back through the floor.

"That feather-brain is crazy..." Spectra sighed with a chuckle, tending back to her mane and tail.

**********

The pegasi flew with each other over to their first clearing area. It was Sweet Apple Acres. There was quite a cloud layer over it.

Spectra grinned. Haha, I bet Dash just chose here to see Applejack before work.

Rainbow Dash waved to Applejack quickly and then turned back to Spectra, "Alright so you pulled off that 'Spectranado' that you so called it. I'm impressed you made the spectrum appear. That's pretty amazing alone."

Spectra gave a cocky chuckle and said, "Well I am pretty awesome."

"I like that attitude! Alright! Well Let me teach you how to control the mach cone. You must be new to Rainbooms. Because naturals, like me, know exactly how to keep from reaching the mach cone."

"Alright then big shot, teach me." Spectra replied with a wink.

"Okay, let's start off with the tornado. I'll walk you through the rest within the Tornado."

The pegasi began flying around each other in a clockwise motion. Faster, faster, and faster. Eventually a strong velocity of wind began to surround the two. Soon after, the same beautiful spectrum began to follow Spectra's lead. Rainbow Dash's mouth went agape at the sight.

She shook herself back to reality, "Alright! Now keep up the speed, you're doing good!" She shouted over the noise.

**********

Meanwhile on the ground, Applejack was starting to get nervous.

"Now what in Equestria is that feather-brain doing now?" She asked herself.

She was paying so much attention at the tornado, she didn't notice Twilight walk up to her. The purple alicorn just shook her hoof in Applejack's face to get her attention.

"Oh hi Twilight." She greeted, quickly looking back to the Spectranado.

"Hiya Applejack. What's going on up there?"

"Ah think Rainbow is teaching Spectra some trick. Or something."

"Oh yeah. Spectra's the new pony in town right?"

"That's right." She replied, still focused on the tornado.

"What's wrong AJ? Can't you trust your marefriend?" Twilight asked with a small chuckle.

"Well yes. An' no. Spectra was relocated here for messin' up a tornado trick. Ah'm jus' worried they are gonna destroy the acres. That's all."

"Well I wouldn't worry AJ. Rainbow Dash is the best flyer in Equestria after all."

"Ah sure hope so..."

**********

Spectra began to feel the mach cone form around her, "Uh, Rainbow! I don't think I can hold this!"

"Yes you can! I've never failed anypony before! Trust me! Keep going 'til the brink of the mach cone!"

Spectra did as ordered. She began steadying her speed, while pushing to the limit of the mach cone. She could feel it about to break, in response Spectra went wobbly for a second.

"Rainbow!"

"It's okay! You're there! Okay now do like me! Curve your wings at a 45 degree curve!"

Quickly obeying, Spectra did just that. She began to feel the resistance decrease. But her speed was... Staying the same? No. It was increasing even more?

How is this even possible?! She thought to herself. She didn't care though. The new discovery of a speed she could not even reach without a Rainboom. This brought a new kind of adrenaline to her.

Spectra shouted in excitement, "Woohoo!"

Rainbow Dash waved her hoof at Spectra, signalling to slow down. The two ponies began to slow their speed until they came to a gentle stop. The tornado dissipated and the two hoof-bumped in congrats. They flew down two Applejack and Twilight.

"Oh hiya Twi!" Rainbow greeted, "Did you see that awesome trick me an Spec here just did?"

"Yes I did Rainbow. It was beautiful. When did you learn that one?"

"Well Spectra here made up the rainbow part. I just taught her how to control the mach cone." She replied giving a wink to Spectra.

"Ah, so you're Spectra Hue?" Twilight said, turning to Spectra.

"Yup. I got here in Ponyville yesterday. Thankfully Rainbow here gave me a place to stay."

"Well welcome to Ponyville." The alicorn said with a small bow of the head.

"Thanks! I really enjoy it here so far. The ponies here and the scenery are both a lot nicer then back in the city."

That's right you're from Manehatten. Well hey, Pinkie Pie invited us to some party at Sugarcube Corner." She turned back to Applejack, "That's what I came here to tell you. Pinkie invited all of us, including Spectra to the party."

"Well, let's not let her wait then." Applejack replied, adjusting her stetson.

The ponies started walking with each other out of Sweet Apple Acres. Rainbow Dash fluttered over to Twilight, "So what's the party for today? Just another Pinkie Pie party?"

Twilight turned to look at Dash and whispered, "Hush, it's not a what. It's a who." She looked over at Spectra and smiled, "It's a welcome party for Spectra Hue."

"Ooooh..." Rainbow whispered back in acknowledgement.

The four mares continued their pace to Sugarcube Corner. Rainbow Dash put a wing around Applejack, along with giving her a nuzzle.

Spectra put a hoof to her mouth, "Eck," she said, pretending to vomit.

"Oh hush." Dash said in defense, slapping Spectra lightly with her other wing.

Spectra just smiled, and the four friends walked their way to Sugarcube Corner.

Author's Note:

So, anyone feeling all sappy yet? Haha, prepare. There are some mixed emotions in this story's future. :P