• Published 7th Mar 2013
  • 700 Views, 90 Comments

The Spectrum Chronicles: Dashes of Spectra - SonicRainbowDashie



Family reunions are great, unless there are secrets hidden...

  • ...
17
 90
 700

12 - Darkness Covers The Rainbow

Spectra sobbed in the darkness of Luna's night. She didn't know how she got there, but she was on the roof of her apartment building.

Spectra looked over the edge of the building, she could make out figures of ponies trotting the streets. She used to often come to the roof to clear her mind.

She looked over the edge again, Why do I deal with this...? Spectra thought to herself, I'm a mess-up, a failure... A murderer...

She glanced away as that thought caused her to shiver.

I could jump... Looking over the edge once more, she shook her head out of that though, No... Suicide is no way to go. It would be the cowards way out, compared to all those ponies I hurt...

Spectra heard the door to the stairwell open behind her. She turned around quickly to see Rainbow Dash standing there.

"... Hey..." Rainbow greeted awkwardly.

"What do you want?" Spectra snapped back, sniffling and wiping her tears.

"Are you alright? I'm sorry for getting irritated back there."

Spectra stayed silent.

"Look, it's fine if you don't tell me. It's just that I love you Spectra-... Uh you know, in a sisterly way. But it's just that meeting you and everything we just found out, makes me so happy."

Rainbow sat next to Spectra on the ledge, "Look, I don't care about what happened, we can completely forget it. It probably would be best if it hurts you this much."

"No." Spectra objected, "I'm done bottling up my feelings."

"Hm?"

Spectra looked into Dash's eyes and all she saw was pure concern within those rose-colored eyes, "I-..." The lump in her throat returned.

"Take your time." Rainbow said, putting a reassuring hoof on Spectra's shoulder.

"I... When I was taken from my mother... I was young, just a filly. So I don't remember much... But they took me to bring me to the..."

"The what, Spec?"

Spectra looked away and winced as she spoke her next words, "The Rainbow Factory..."

"Wh- What?" Rainbow asked, unable to believe her cousin. She just looked away.

Spectra waited for Dash to respond. She assumed the worse, "I understand if you don't want to be acquainted with a ponycidal pegasus..."

Spectra began to walk away when Rainbow Dash spoke up, "Don't do that."

Spectra stopped in her tracks, "Huh?"

"Don't drop a bomb like that and then use ridiculous words I don't understand." She said half-joking.

"I'm sorry I didn't say anything before I just didn't know how you would react... Do you hate-"

"No." Rainbow cut her off and began to hover above where she was sitting. She said one last thing before flying off, "Just... Don't come to work tomorrow..."

"But Dash... Wait." Spectra intervened, flying in Rainbow Dash's way.

"What do you want?"

"What's wrong? I thought I could tell you? What happened to the Element of Loyalty?"

"I guess I'm not as loyal to everypony..."

"Wha-"

"DON'T YOU GET IT?!" Spectra backed down at the pegasus's explosion, "Do you know what those damn pegasi did to me there?!"

"They got you too-?"

"YES!" Rainbow cut her off again, "They took me in there and brainwashed me to lead the operations!"

"I-"

"I almost killed my own sister due to it!! I'm just glad Scoots doesn't remember any of it!"

"... How doesn't she remember it?"

Because Zecora gave her a potion!" Rainbow replied, still in an explosion, "The only reason I didn't drink it was so they couldn't trick me again!"

Rainbow Dash slowed down and took a deep breath.

"I'm sorry Dash... I didn't know. I- I was forced to work there. I didn't want to-"

"NO! No. Just stop! You weren't brainwashed! You coulda done something!"

"I- I couldn't..."

"You could've! Just stop. I don't want an ex-Rainbow Facility worker on my weather team. Find a different place to work. You might not want to come back to Ponyville either if I were you..."

With that, Rainbow Dash darted away, leaving Spectra on the roof alone.

Spectra whacked her head against her hoof, Stupid! Why'd you tell her?! She began crying as she looked over the edge of her apartment building.

**********

Spectra went to say farewell to her mom before she flew away to go back to Ponyville. Sapphire asked her where she was going so quickly, Spectra hadn't replied.

She was not about a quarter of the way back to Ponyville. Her trip seemed to be longer this time. That's when she realized she didn't have Dash with her to keep her company.

Spectra began to weep lightly as she glided. She began to whisper lyrics to a song she had heard on Equestria Radio, "Don't leave me, I'm sorry. I'll fix this if it costed my life..."

At that moment, that song fit her situation perfectly. She hummed the song as she flew... As she wept...

Spectra spotted a tree close to the ground and glided down to it. She landed on a branch with ease and decided to sleep the night out. She was too tired and too upset to fly this late at night.

Spectra dozed off with tears in her eyes. Even though she knew they couldn't hear her she whispered, "Goodnight Dash... Sweet dreams..."