• Published 2nd Mar 2013
  • 2,413 Views, 61 Comments

Lunar Orbit - Benman



Banished projects, miscellaneous scraps, and the detritus of larger works.

  • ...
3
 61
 2,413

Untitled Discord Fragment

“Oh, come on, Fluttershy,” said Discord. “Let me help. I can take care of everything while you’re gone.”

Fluttershy frowned. It was nice that he was taking an interest, but something about Discord’s offer felt, well, not nice. “I don’t know,” she said. “It’s an awfully big responsibility.”

“But that’s what friends do, isn’t it? Help each other?” Discord paused. “At least, I think so,” he muttered. “I’ll admit I’m still a little new at this ‘friendship’ thing. I may have gotten that one wrong.”

Fluttershy sighed. “No, that’s right.”

“And we are friends, yes?”

“Yes.”

“Then it’s settled!” Discord clapped his mismatched hands. “Thank you, Fluttershy, you’re marvelous.”

“Oh. Well.” Fluttershy could tell she wasn’t going to win this one. “Alright.”

“Let me get your bags, and you can be on your way.” He extended a talon, which was now holding the panniers that Fluttershy had left up in her bedroom.

“Thank you.” Fluttershy bit her lip thoughtfully. “But I want you to promise me that you’ll be on your best behavior.”

“Best behavior!” Discord jerked ramrod straight and snapped a salute, dropping the panniers with a dull thud. “Ma’am, yes, ma’am!”

She eyed him warily. “That means you won’t set anything on fire.”

“No fire! Ma’am, yes, ma’am!”

“And no undermining the monarchy.”

Discord faltered. “Not even a little?”

“Discord!”

“Oh, fine. No undermining the monarchy. Ma’am, yes, ma’am.”

“And no ravening hellbeasts.”

“Fluttershy! You wound me!” Discord staggered, clutching his chest, and collapsed across her sofa. “Would I really do such a thing?”

She stayed quiet and fixed him with a level stare.

“Okay, yes, there was the little accident with the Beast of a Hundred Eyes. But surely you don’t think I’d let something like that happen again?”

Again, she stayed quiet. Quieter, even.

“Fluttershy,” said Discord. “Don’t you trust me?”

She spoke slowly, deliberately. “I want you to say the words, ‘Fluttershy, I promise not to summon any horrible demons.’”

“Oh, very well.” He rolled his eyes. “Fluttershy, I promise not to summon any horrible demons. There. Are you happy?”

“Yes,” she said. “Thank you. And thank you for helping.” She hefted her panniers and headed towards the door. “Oh! And tell the girls I’m sorry I couldn’t see them today.”

Author's Note:

I don't remember where I was going with this one. It was in a document titled TMYIYAA, and I don't have the slightest recollection what that stands for. Let's just pretend it was meant to be a standalone vignette.