• Published 2nd Mar 2013
  • 2,404 Views, 61 Comments

Lunar Orbit - Benman



Banished projects, miscellaneous scraps, and the detritus of larger works.

  • ...
3
 61
 2,404

Where The Heart Is

It was a fake Hearth’s Warming dinner, but Top Notch had cooked as though it were the real thing. Her best tablecloth was nearly hidden beneath the platter of honey-glazed carrots and asparagus, the tureen of mashed potatoes drowning in butter, the bowl of strawberries and grapes and blackberries, and all the rest. There was no way the three of them could eat it all, but then, that was rather the point.

“Wow, Mom,” said Carrot Top. “You did all this for me?”

“Of course, dearest,” said Top Notch. “It’s not often we get you home with us.”

Beside her, Tip Top harrumphed. “Not often enough, you ask me,” he grumbled into his mustache. “Don’t see why you can’t stay for Hearth’s Warming. Just two more days. Think it’s important.”

“It is important,” said Carrot Top. “Swarm Siren can’t visit her family, so the girls and I figured we’d show her a real Equestrian Hearth’s Warming.”

“That’s awfully sweet of you,” said Top Notch. “Still, if you’d rather be with us for the holiday, I’m sure they’ll understand.”

“They’re my friends,” said Carrot Top. “I want to be with them.”

“Supposed to be at home on Hearth’s Warming,” said Tip Top.

Carrot Top pressed a hoof to the bridge of her nose. “Mom. Dad. I care about you. That’s why I came here today. But I’m building my life in Ponyville, okay? It’s a special place, and I’m a part of it, and, and, that’s important to me. Okay?”

“Certainly, dearest,” said Top Notch. “You should spend the holiday wherever you think is most important. If that means being away from home… well, then it means being away from home, that’s all.”




Carrot Top walked into her house, luggage handle in her mouth, and kicked her way past Bon Bon’s boots, Derpy’s flying goggles, and molted bits of Swarm Siren’s exoskeleton. After spending all day on the train, her neck ached and her legs were cramped and she wanted nothing so much as to collapse in her own bed and never ever leave.

She nudged open the door to her bedroom, only to be greeted by a set of gray hindquarters. The pony’s head was out of view, rooting through Carrot Top’s wardrobe with all the finesse of a griffon mating dance. Dresses and sweaters lay discarded at her hooves.

“Derpy,” said Carrot Top, “what are you doing?”

“Oh!” Her friend whirled to face her, bonking her head on the wardrobe’s side. A blouse slipped from its hanger. Derpy squealed and lunged, catching it, but knocking three more hangers loose. She lunged again, bonked face-first into the wardrobe’s door, and slowly slid to the floor.

“Sorry!” said Derpy. “Ow. Sorry.”

“Oh, Derpy.” Carrot Top exhaled slowly, trying not to let herself smile. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah.”

“Good. Now. What are you doing?”

“I, um.” Derpy stood, Carrot Top’s rumpled blouse draped over a foreleg. “It’s a surprise.”

“Well, good job. I’m surprised.”

“That’s not what I mean!” Derpy bent and began scooping up the fallen clothing.

Carrot Top stepped forward. “Maybe I should handle that.”

“No!” Derpy darted between her and the wardrobe. “No, I mean, you can’t look in there yet. You’re supposed to see it tomorrow, for Hearth’s Warming, and it’s supposed to be a surprise.”

By now Carrot Top was completely failing to hide her grin. “Did you get me a present?”

“I can’t tell you! It’s! A! Surprise!

“Alright. I’ll go make us some smoothies while you finish up. Will you be done in ten minutes?”

“Uh.” Derpy glanced dubiously at the pile of clothing about her. “Maybe?”

“Well, get me when I can come back, okay?” Carrot Top turned to go.

“Okay. And Carrot?”

“Yeah?”

Derpy nuzzled Carrot Top’s neck. “I’m glad you’re back.”

“You know what they say.” Carrot Top leaned against her friend. “There’s no place like home for the holidays.”

Author's Note:

Written for Chris because of reasons.