• Published 2nd Mar 2013
  • 2,404 Views, 61 Comments

Lunar Orbit - Benman



Banished projects, miscellaneous scraps, and the detritus of larger works.

  • ...
3
 61
 2,404

The Elements of Style, Part 2

“You think you can destroy the Elements just like that?” said Highlight. “Well, you're wrong, because the spirits of the Elements are right here!”

The shards of the orbs around the Writemare's hooves began to glow. The monstrosity took a cautious step back. "What?"

Highlight strode forward. “Editjack, who pointed out my mistakes when I was sure my manuscript was flawless, represents the spirit of... proofreading!

Lettershy, who explained the distinction between 'principle' and 'principal', represents the spirit of... spelling!

Rainbow Emdash, who taught me how to mark dialogue that spans multiple paragraphs, represents the spirit of... punctuation!

AP Pie, who backed up her critique with citations, represents the spirit of... usage!

Brevity, who turned my rambling text into an engaging read, represents the spirit of... prose!

"The spirits of these five ponies got us through every challenge you threw at us!" Highlight finished.

“You still don't have the sixth Element!” cried the Writemare. “The spark didn't work!”

“But it did! A different kind of spark.” Highlight turned to her friends, who were beginning to glow with power. Her voice softened. “I felt it the very moment I realized how much you helped me, guided me, how much I relied on you. The spark ignited inside me when I realized that you all... are my editors!” With that, energy danced across her mane and coat. Her smile was small but firm. “You see, Writemare, when those Elements are ignited by the spark that resides in the heart of us all, it creates the sixth element: the Element of... Composition!”

With a great thunderclap, the magic surged forth from all six of them, twining together as it rose skyward, higher and higher. Then it bent, crashing downwards in a great unstoppable wave, washing over the Writemare. There was a keening scream as the corruption was blasted from her body—and then, finally, silence.