• Published 2nd Mar 2013
  • 2,406 Views, 61 Comments

Lunar Orbit - Benman



Banished projects, miscellaneous scraps, and the detritus of larger works.

  • ...
3
 61
 2,406

Starcraft: Wings of Everfree

1: In Which Strangers Come To Ponyville

Twilight stepped over a shattered branch, following the trail of destruction deeper into the Everfree Forest. Traveling through the forest was normally slow going, but now, charred bits of splintered wood were all that remained of the dense undergrowth. Whatever had come this way, it had hit the forest with enough force to knock down trees and smash boulders. The trail of devastation at least twenty yards wide and long enough that Twilight couldn’t see the end, although maybe that was just because of the smoke. Morning light barely reached the forest floor through the gray haze.

“Twilight,” said Fluttershy, “are you sure this is a good idea? I mean, what could possibly do something like this? It was probably something really scary.”

Twilight glanced over her shoulder, to where her friend followed behind her. “Exactly! Whatever’s out here, we need to know more about it. My books don’t know what did this, and Zecora doesn’t know what did this, so the only way to find out is to go and look.”

“But it’s just the two of us.” Fluttershy flapped her wings to clear away a particularly dense cloud of smoke. “Isn’t that, you know, dangerous?”

Twilight shrugged. “Nopony else wanted to come.”

Fluttershy mumbled something.

“What was that?”

“I said, I didn’t want to come either!”

Twilight paused briefly to levitate a fallen tree out of their path, dislodging the ashes that had once been its outer bark. Beneath, the tree still glowed red with heat. “You did make me promise not to explore the forest alone after that time with the cockatrice.”

“Um, this isn’t what I had in mind. When a giant ball of fire falls from the sky, ponies should go away from it, not right towards it!”

“Well, somepony has to—hold on. Do you hear that?”

Both ponies paused to listen. “Somepony’s talking up there!” said Fluttershy. She dashed ahead, towards the sound. Twilight did her best to keep up.

They crested a small rise, and the end of the trail came into view. Lying half-buried at the end of a long furrow in the earth was an enormous construct of an unfamiliar gray-black metal. The thing was slightly smaller than Applejack’s barn, and it had been smashed to the point where Twilight could barely guess what it had looked like intact. Several gaping holes had been torn through the side of its center capsule, and a thick, oily smoke poured from the largest of these. A pair of charred fins projected from the capsule’s side. One ran parallel to the construct for its entire length, but the other had apparently sheared off about halfway down its length.

As Twilight got closer to the… whatever it was, the voice became clearer. “Atmospheric containment lost,” it said. "This vessel requires assistance." The voice was odd. It wasn't only that the rhythm was off, with pauses in the wrong places. It also had a strange, almost mechanical quality that was unlike anything Twilight had ever heard. “Atmospheric containment lost. This vessel requires assistance. Atmospheric containment lost. This vessel requires assistance.”

Fluttershy halted a dozen yards short of the monstrosity. “W-what… what is that?”

“I don’t know,” said Twilight. “It sounds like that voice is coming from inside it, though.”

“We should, um,” Fluttershy involuntarily took a step backwards. “We should look inside.”

Twilight bit her lip. “Are you sure? You were just telling me how dangerous all this was. Maybe you were right.”

Fluttershy swallowed. “Somepony’s in there, and he needs our help.” She started forward, slowly but resolutely. Twilight sighed and followed.

The two ponies poked their heads in through one of the breaches in the thing’s side. The interior was filled with a light haze of smoke, but not enough to obscure the harsh red lights illuminating a tangle of wires, pistons, hoses, and stranger devices. Twilight stepped over the jagged edge of the breach and ventured inside.

“This vessel requires assistance. Atmospheric containment lost. This vessel requires assistance.” The voice was painfully loud in here.

It was coming from a mesh panel in the wall. Fluttershy trotted up to it. “Um, hello? Can anypony hear me?”

The voice cut off abruptly. A short series of high-pitched beeps came from the panel. Then, “Command authority not recognized. Disconnecting.”

“Are you alright? Do you need help?”

There was no reply. Fluttershy opened her mouth to speak again, when—

A clatter sounded from deeper in the structure. Something rose up from behind an enormous pipe. It stood on two legs like a minotaur, and was just as tall. Its skin was metal, and its eyes glowed with an unnatural green light.

The two ponies backed away. The creature advanced, but only managed a single step before it collapsed to its knees.

“It’s hurt!” Fluttershy rushed towards the creature, then abruptly halted. A long knife had appeared in the creature’s hand, Twilight wasn’t sure from where. Fluttershy hesitated, then approached again, slower.

“Careful, Fluttershy!” called Twilight. “That thing could be dangerous!”

Fluttershy turned to look at her. “It’s hurt,” she repeated. She returned her attention to the creature. “Shhh, it’s okay. I know you’re scared. I just want to help you. You’re safe now.”

The knife slipped from its fingers and clattered to the metal floor. The creature wobbled, then fell over with a heavy thud. It did not move.

“Eep! This is bad! Twilight, we need to get back to Ponyville so I can help it!”

Twilight hesitated. The whatever-it-was could be dangerous, but it did need their help. Besides, this creature was their only clue to whatever was going on. “Alright.” She trotted to the creature’s side and poked at the canister slung across its back by a wide band of some unknown material. “Hmm, what do you think this could be?” It was a metallic tube, perhaps three feet long and six inches in diameter.

Fluttershy barely glanced at the dull gray container. “Oh, I really don’t know. Can we please go now, Twilight? Quickly?”

Twilight nodded. There was a brief flash as she teleported the three of them away.



Most of Ponyville was still staring at the floating island. Ever since it had come plummeting from the sky, the enormous construct of golden-bronze metal and blue crystal sat hanging over the Everfree Forest. Nopony knew what it was or how it stayed in the air, and even more worryingly, its shadow was at least as large as Ponyville itself. Ponies had stopped what they were doing to gawk and try to figure out what in the name of the Sisters was happening.

Applejack had stared for a while before deciding she had no idea what the thing was, and looking harder wasn’t going to get her any answers. It was harvest season, and while a crop of apples might not be as exciting as a mysterious sky-island, it was something Applejack could work on. Only a few minutes passed before Applejack had returned to work. Still, she did glance at the thing every now and again.

Applejack stopped. Something was wrong, but she couldn’t put her hoof on what. She thought she saw movement above her, but when she turned to look, there was only blue sky. Applejack shrugged and moved on to the next tree.

Three pillars of bluish-white light appeared next to the tree. Applejack stumbled back in shock. Within seconds, the pillars resolved themselves into a trio of unfamiliar creatures. The foremost of them was a tall, slender being that stood on two legs, rising to nearly three times the height of a pony. Its skin was a pale blue, and it wore a light breastplate made of the same strange metal as the floating island. Its face had no mouth or nose, only two eyes that shone with a soft white light. The second creature appeared similar, although Applejack couldn’t make out much detail under the blackish-purple cloak that shrouded all but its face and hands.

The third creature was even stranger. It was a mechanical monstrosity made entirely of that golden-bronze metal. The thing rose a head higher than its companions, and its four spiderlike legs gave it a breadth equal to its towering height. A cylindrical torso rose from the junction of its legs. A pair of long hollow tubes that looked like elbowless, fingerless arms projected from its enormous shoulders. There was no face or head that Applejack could see.

The light faded, and the creatures stood under the trees of Sweet Apple Acres as though they had always been there. Applejack briefly considered trying to hide, but the creatures were already staring right at her.

A deep, echoing voice boomed forth from the metal giant. “The area is secure, Executor,” it said. “Sensors detect only the one life-form nearby.”

“Understood.” The breastplate-clad creature stepped towards Applejack. “You there. You will tell me of the Terran ship that crashed near this village.” Its voice was higher and more feminine than the giant’s, although it had the same echoing quality.

Applejack’s mind raced. She was hopelessly out of her depth, but she knew a few things for certain: these creatures were huge and terrifying; they were trying to talk to her; and they were on Apple family land. For lack of a less confusing option, she focused on that last fact and settled into the familiar pattern of hospitality.

“Ah, well, I wish I could help you folks,” she said, “but I can’t say as I know what you mean. I ain’t never heard of a Terran, and there’s no water nearby for any ships, neither. Is there, uh, is there anything else I can help you with?”

The creature turned back to its companions. “This is pointless. The natives here are too primitive to be of use.”

“Perhaps,” said the cloaked figure in a voice like rustling leaves, “but perhaps you underestimate them, Selendis. Allow me to try.”

“As you will,” said the one called Selendis.

The cloaked figure approached Applejack, moving with the casual grace of a skilled athlete. Applejack stood her ground as the figure crouched down beside her, bringing his head nearly level with her own. “En taro Tassadar, small one,” he said. “I am called Aregal.”

“Pleased to meet ya,” Applejack said on sheer reflex. “I’m Applejack, and this land hereabouts is Sweet Apple Acres.”

“Well met, Applejack. My people, the Protoss, have come to this world on a mission of grave importance. I, for one, believe your kind can help us.”

“Well, I’ll help if I can,” Applejack said dubiously, “but if y’all are looking for a ship I can’t do much.”

“The Executor does not speak of a ship as you would know it,” said Aregal. “This is a vessel that travels between worlds, but it was damaged as it fled from my home. You would have seen its fiery trail when it fell through your sky.”

Applejack nodded. “Yep, I saw that. It fell into the Everfree Forest, over there.” She pointed with a hoof. “That woulda been earlier this morning.”

“Our fleet has found the wreck of the Terran vessel already,” boomed the metal giant’s voice. “The native tells us nothing we do not know.”

“We do not seek the ship.” Aregal stood and faced the giant. “We seek the one who piloted it, and that which she stole from us. Of them, there is no sign.”

The giant took a single enormous step towards Aregal. Its barrel-thick leg sank into the soft earth. “Do you truly believe these natives can find what our fleet’s Observers cannot, Prelate?”

“Certainly,” said Aregal. “They know this land as we never will. We would be wise to respect their knowledge.”

“Patience, Eidar,” said Selendis. “We will hear what this Applejack has to say before we judge.”

Applejack stomped a hoof. “I’m right here, you know. There’s no call to go on talking like I’m somewhere else.”

“Indeed,” said Aregal. “Applejack, a thief took something of great value from us. That thief is a creature called a Terran, and she was on the vessel when it crashed. She fled before my brethren arrived, however. Will you and your people help us find her and recover what is ours? The safety of my home depends on your answer.”

“Well shoot, when you put it like that, there ain’t no choice at all. There’s gotta be somepony in town who can help you. C’mon, let me take you fellas around Ponyville.”

2: In Which Violence Is Contemplated

When she came to, the first thing Nova did was take a quick inventory of her wounds. Her body ached all over, especially her legs and especially her head. The pain was distracting but not disabling. She decided to ignore it.

The second thing she did was check her equipment. She was still wearing her combat gear, a skintight suit of light powered armor that covered every inch of her body. Nova cast about for her rifle for several seconds before remembering she had lost it during the rush to escape Shakuras. Her knife was gone as well, but her sidearm was still on her hip, and two lockdown grenades remained in her pouches. The suit’s communications array was still functioning, but it wasn’t picking up any signals nearby. All in all, her situation wasn’t too bad.

The canister was missing.

That was very, very bad.

Only then did Nova take stock of her surroundings. She was lying more or less on a bed that would have barely been large enough for a twelve-year-old, set in a room of rich hardwood filled with shelves of brightly-colored books. Sunlight streamed in through an open window. Even through her mask’s air filter, she could tell the atmosphere on this planet was absolutely pristine.

Voices were coming from outside the room’s single doorway. “There’s no way I’m going to write the princess when I don’t even know what’s going on! Students are supposed to be able to figure things out! What would she think if I asked for help without even trying to research it?”

“If you say so.” The second voice was much softer. Nova increased the gain on her suit’s sensors to hear. “But, um, could you please try to figure this out so that you can call her? This might be more than I can handle, and I don’t want a repeat of what happened with Philomena. Better to get the princess’s help as soon as we can. I mean, if that’s alright with you.”

“No problem. I’ll get right on it. There could be a hint in that tube thing the creature was carrying. I’ll see if I can get it open.”

“No!” Nova lunged to her feet, or tried to. Her legs wouldn’t cooperate, and she tumbled off the bed, flopping onto the floor with a loud thump. The voices stopped.

Two small, brightly-colored aliens appeared in the doorway. Nova vaguely recalled seeing them in the haze of smoke and pain that followed her Raven’s crash-landing. She had no idea what they were, but they weren’t Protoss and they hadn’t tried to kill her yet, so diplomacy might still be an option.

“Are you alright?” asked the yellow one as it trotted closer. “Oh, you shouldn’t be out of bed! I don’t care if you’ve got metal skin, falling like that can’t be good for you.”

“Metal skin?” said Nova. “Oh, you mean the suit.” A surge of vertigo stuck her as she pushed herself up to a sitting position. She pulled off her visor with its glowing lenses and sensors, and then removed the armored hood beneath, revealing her face. If these aliens knew anything about Terrans—which seemed unlikely—they would be able to tell she was about thirty years old, still young enough to be dangerous. Nova ran a gloved hand through her platinum-blonde hair, wiping away the sweat that had accumulated under the hood. “See? Not a robot.”

The two aliens exchanged a look. “She has a face,” said the yellow alien.

“She can talk,” said the violet one.

They turned back to Nova. “How are you feeling?” asked the yellow one.

“Pretty banged up. The ship’s inertial dampers overloaded during the crash, so I got knocked around a bit. My suit’s diagnostics say there’s no major trauma, though.”

“Um, what does that mean?” asked the yellow one.

“It means I’ll probably be fine in a few days.” Carefully, Nova hoisted herself up and sat on the edge of the bed. The movement made her head spin, and she winced as she settled into place. “What kind of aliens are you two?”

“We’re not aliens,” said the yellow alien.

“Not around here, anyway,” said the violet alien. “We’re ponies. I’m Twilight Sparkle, and this is my friend, Fluttershy. How about you?”

“I’m Nova, from the Dominion. Um, the Terran Dominion. I’m a Terran.”

Twilight Sparkle cleared her throat. “I’ve got a few questions to ask you, Nova. What was that thing we found you in? How did you get hurt? What’s a Terran, and what brings you to Equestria? Why was—”

“Twilight, please!” interrupted Fluttershy. “Look at her. She needs to rest, the poor dear. You’re about to fall right asleep, aren’t you?”

Sleep sounded wonderful, but Nova couldn’t let herself rest just yet. “The canister I was carrying. What happened to it?”

“You mean that big tube?” asked Twilight. “Don’t worry, it’s fine. It’s just in the next room. Why?”

“I need it.” Nova started to rise to her feet.

Fluttershy gently pushed her back down. “Oh, um, you probably shouldn’t be walking around just yet. I’ll get it for you.” Nova nodded dully as the pony trotted off.

“Was there something in there that can help you?” asked Twilight. “I can open it up for you.”

“No! No. Opening it would be too dangerous.”

The pony frowned. “Dangerous? Why?”

“The canister is shielded,” Nova said. “Open it, and the Protoss will sense what’s inside. It’ll draw them here like a beacon.”

Twilight frowned. “And… that would be bad?”

“It’s bad. If you’re very lucky, they’d only kill you for helping me. If you’re unlucky… well, they’ve burned entire worlds for less.”

“What? Why would anypony do that?”

“Twilight, please, let her rest,” said Fluttershy as she returned with the canister. “You can ask Nova all the questions you want when she’s feeling better.”

“But she said—”

“Twilight.” Fluttershy pinned her friend with a look so fierce that Nova couldn’t help but flinch, even if it wasn’t directed at her. “She needs to rest.”

“Right!” said Twilight. “Okay. Rest it is.”

Fluttershy deposited the canister in Nova’s lap. “Here’s your canister. And now you’re going to go right to bed so you can get all better.”

Nova nodded. She needed more intel, but the alien was right: she was in no condition to be doing much of anything. Besides, she really didn’t want that stare turned her way.

The two ponies turned to go as Nova settled herself in the undersized bed as best she could. “Honestly,” muttered Twilight, “could this day get any weirder?”


Applejack led the Protoss through the empty streets of Ponyville. The sun was still high in the sky, but not a pony was in sight.

“You said the others of your kind would help us,” said Eidar, “yet they have avoided us at every turn. Those who did not flee tell us nothing of value.”

“I reckon they’re a mite nervous, is all,” said Applejack. “Y’all look a bit scary at first. We can try the library next. Twilight knows just about everything there is to know ‘round these parts.”

Selendis stopped walking, and the other Protoss followed suit. “I tire of this,” the Executor announced. “We are no closer to finding the Terran than we were.”

“What’s a Terran? Is it anything like a heron? I met a heron once. He was really tall, but not as tall as you.” Pinkie Pie was bouncing in circles around the Protoss. Applejack wasn’t sure where she had come from. “Ooh! Have you ever met a heron?”

With a mechanical whirring noise, Eidar’s body swiveled to face the newcomer. “You do not fear us, as the others do?”

“Well you do look pretty big and mean.” Pinkie Pie hopped on Eidar’s leg and perched on the knee joint. “At first I got really scared and I wanted to hide, but then I remembered that Zecora looked scary, and she turned out to be nice after all! So I realized you must be nice too, no matter what you look like. That was when I remembered you’re new to Ponyville, and that means I have to throw a party for you so that everypony can meet you!”

“You speak wisely, pink one,” said Aregal. “It is rare insight that looks past the surface form to the substance beneath. We would be honored to attend your party.”

“We will not,” said Selendis. “There is no sign that these natives can lead us to the Terran, and so we have no more time to spend among them.”

“With respect, Executor, I disagree,” said Aregal. “Applejack and her friends could prove to be invaluable allies.”

Selendis nodded. “Very well, Prelate. If you wish to pursue this path, I will not stand in your way. You will represent the Protoss at this ‘party,’ along with as many of your Dark Templar brethren as choose to join you. Praetor Eidar, you will establish an outpost nearby so that we may come and go with ease. Send patrols through this settlement, as well. I must return to the fleet and direct the search.”

Pinkie Pie turned to Aregal with pleading eyes. “So there will be a party after all?”

“So it would seem,” said Aregal.

“Yippee!” Pinkie leapt off of Eidar’s leg. “I’ve got a lot to do to get ready and also I have to invite the whole town and I mean the whole town so I’ve got to go see you later!” She sped away in a pink blur, then promptly returned. “Don’t go anywhere! I mean you can go somewhere else in Ponyville but don’t go too far away or else I won’t be able to find you when the party’’s ready!” The pony dashed off once again.

Aregal turned to regard Applejack. “Your friend is unlike any creature I have encountered.”

“Heh, yeah. Pinkie’s always been a bit, well, Pinkie.”

“Executor,” boomed Eidar, “I am receiving a transmission from the fleet. It would appear some of the natives can fly. One is currently attempting to land on the Mothership.”

“Very well,” said Selendis. “Destroy it.”

“Hold up!” said Applejack. “You can’t do that! That’s a living, breathing pony you’re talking about!”

“Such an action could jeopardize Prelate Aregal’s relationship with the natives,” Eidar said calmly.

Selendis waved a hand dismissively. “Deal with it however you choose, Praetor, but do not allow the creature to breach our security. I will signal the Warp Prism to return and take me from this place.”

“I will instruct our fighters to force it to ground,” said the giant. “A Sentry should be able to contain the creature thereafter.”

“Careful, now,” said Applejack. “Don’t you go hurting nopony.”

Eidar bobbed his torso in what Applejack supposed was meant to be a nod. “It should be harmless enough. Come along and observe, if you wish.”


“Oh, you’re awake,” said Twilight. “That’s encouraging.” She stepped into the spare bedroom where her guest was recuperating. Twilight had a lot of questions that needed answering—more than she had when Nova first arrived, in fact.

Nova faced Twilight, turning away from the moonlit window and moving aside so she couldn’t be seen from the streets. The Terran was sitting up in bed, looking much more composed than the first time they had spoken. “The Protoss are here in your village,” she said.

“I know,” said Twilight. “Word’s been spreading quickly. I’m wondering how you knew, though. They didn’t come close enough to the library for you to see them, did they?”

“Ocular implants are standard procedure these days,” said Nova. She must have noticed Twilight’s look of confusion. “I can see pretty far,” she explained.

“Ponies are saying the Protoss are looking for you.”

“Yes,” said Nova. “They’re trying to catch me and kill me. Do you plan on letting them?” She spoke with unnerving calm, as though she were discussing the relative merits of two different biographies.

“Of course not! I’m not about to let anypony hurt you, you know that. But why on Equestria would they want to kill you?”

“They want this.” Nova patted the dull gray metal canister where it rested on the bed beside her. “It’s a powerful psionic artifact called the Uraj. The Dominion needs it for our research, but the Protoss will do anything to find it. They can’t trace it because of the shielding in the case. At first I thought they’d be able to track me by my psychic activity, but it looks like that’s no danger as long as I’m in this settlement. My psionic radar shows short bursts of activity all over. I guess you ponies are psionic, too. They won’t be able to find me that way.”

“What does psionic mean?”

“It means you can sense or alter the world around you with your thoughts. Mind-reading, thought control, telekinesis, that sort of thing.”

“Oh!” Twilight perked up. “You mean unicorn magic. Only some ponies can do that.”

“Most Terrans can’t, either,” said Nova, “although I can. The Protoss are the only known race that’s universally psionic.”

Twilight climbed up onto the bed. “I think you should meet my friends,” she said as Nova shifted aside to make room. “They’re good ponies, and they might be able to help you.”

“I don’t think that’s a good idea,” said Nova. “The fewer ponies who know I’m here, the safer I am.”

“My friends would never put you in danger!”

“Not on purpose, I’m sure,” said Nova, “but think about how badly you want to tell them about me. They’ll want to tell their own associates, and so on. Sooner or later, somebody will let something slip to the Protoss, and my position will be compromised. It’s best if only you and Fluttershy know. This is just basic operational security.”

Twilight frowned. “Well, okay,” she said reluctantly. “You’re the one in danger, so I’ll do it your way. I’ll ask Fluttershy not to tell the others, either. So what’s your plan now? You’re welcome to stay here as long as you’d like, of course.”

“The Protoss fleet can’t stay here indefinitely. I’ll lie low until they’re called away. Once they’re gone, if your people will lend me a ship, I can return to the Dominion and complete my mission.”

“A ship?” Twilight frowned. This was going to be harder than she’d thought. “Well, it’d be a bit of a journey to get to a harbor. What are you trying to cross, the Strait of Gibhalter? The Arabian Sea?”

“What? No, I need a spaceship, not a sea craft.”

Twilight gave Nova a dubious look. “Nopony can travel through space. What would you even breathe?”

Nova closed her eyes, leaned back against the wall, and sighed. “So you don’t have space travel. Okay, then. I left a comm drone in orbit before I crashed, so I can try calling for some friends to take me home. I hate to take anyone away from the fight, but it looks like the only way to finish the mission.”

“Fight?” Twilight had heard a lot of confusing things from this Terran, but the matter-of-fact way she talked about violence unnerved her in a way that even Nightmare Moon’s posturing never had. “What fight?”

“Take your pick.” Nova shrugged. “We’re trying to defend ourselves from Zerg raids and sporadic Protoss assaults on our colonies, there are the border skirmishes with the Kel-Morians, and that’s not to mention Raynor and his gang of terrorists. There’s always a fight going on out there somewhere.”

“But, I mean…” Twilight hesitated, trying and failing to come up with a delicate way of asking. “You wouldn’t kill anypony like the Protoss do, would you?”

“Of course I’ve killed people,” said Nova. Twilight recoiled in horror, but the Terran continued. “Look, it’s a dangerous sector out there. If killing something is the only way to save myself or my comrades, I’m not going to hesitate.”

“That’s just… that’s not how the world works! There’s always another way to solve your problems. You never have to kill anypony!”

Nova rolled her eyes. “I don’t know how things are among your people, but when you’re dealing with the Protoss, mercy isn’t an option. Make no mistake, if they find me, they will kill me, and I’m not planning to go quietly. I’m only hiding because I can’t call in a tactical nuke or something.”

“Tactical nuke?” Twilight sounded out the unfamiliar phrase. “I don’t know what either of those words mean.”

“Well, tactical is something that relates to tactics—”

“I know about adjectival forms of nouns,” said Twilight. “What’s tactics?”

“It’s the skill of defeating your enemy on an individual or squad level.”

Twilight narrowed her eyes. “You mean you fight so much you have a word just for being good at it.

“Lots of words. Tactics is different from, say, strategy or logistics. Fighting is important, Twilight. People who can’t fight, die. Now that the Protoss are here, that’s a lesson you’ll need to learn.”

Twilight shook her head. “No. There’s a better way, and I’m going to find it. Now, what’s a nuke, and what is it used for?”


“Twilight? Are you alright?” Spike peered into Twilight’s room, where the pony was curled up in bed with a copy of Starswirl’s Meditations on Life. Spike had seen her reading that book many times before, whenever she was especially sad and thoughtful. “Comfort reading,” she had called it.

This was different, though. Twilight was staring into the distance, clearly thinking about something else. Spike had never known her to have trouble focusing on a book.

“Spike, I…” Twilight trailed off. “Come here, please.”

Spike obediently climbed onto the bed, wondering what was going on. Twilight wrapped her hooves around Spike and pulled him into a tight embrace. Spike returned the hug. Were Twilight’s eyes wet? Had she been crying? “What’s going on?” he asked.

“Oh, Spike. I just learned about some terrible things that… that nopony should ever build. Things that nopony should ever have done. There was—” She swallowed. “I just want to hold you. I just want to know that you’re safe.”

“Hey. Everything’s alright, Twilight.”

“I hope so, Spike. I hope so.”

3: In Which A Party Is Held

Rarity had been quite surprised yesterday when she first heard rumors of giant creatures searching through Ponyville. With that warning, she had been somewhat less surprised when Applejack and Fluttershy barged into her boutique and demanded she accompany them, but she was still less than pleased to find herself galloping beside them through Sweet Apple Acres. Fluttershy had offered to make it up to her by watching Sweetie Belle for the night, but that was small consolation.

“C’mon, y’all,” said Applejack. “We ain’t got no time to lose!”

“Yes, you’ve made that quite clear,” Rarity gasped. Applejack was clearly making an effort to slow down to a pace that the other two ponies could match, but Rarity still struggled to keep up. “If this mysterious task of yours is so important, though, why didn’t you get Pinkie Pie as well?”

“I tried,” said Applejack, “but she’s planning a party, and y’all know how she gets. She just said something about bunting and took off running ‘fore I could get a word in.”

“Understandable, I suppose. And what of Twilight?”

“Oh,” said Fluttershy from where she flew above the other two. “I asked her. Twilight’s busy.”

“I told you this here’s important, Fluttershy!” said Applejack. “You mean Twi’s too busy to help out her friends?”

“Um. Yes.”

“Can you at least tell us what she’s doing instead?” asked Rarity.

“Oh. Um, no.”

As unexpected as that answer was, Rarity decided not to press the issue. Fluttershy, of all ponies, wouldn’t keep secrets without a good reason. “And Rainbow Dash?” she asked.

“That’s kinda the problem,” said Applejack. “Hurry up, the valley’s just ahead.”

The three ponies came to a break in the trees and pulled up short at the sight in front of them. The trees had been cleared from a shallow valley of two or three acres, and half a dozen enormous, perfectly regular blue crystals floated motionlessly several meters above the grass. Each was nearly the height of Applejack’s barn and perhaps a third as wide at the middle, tapering to points at the top and bottom. They were encircled by thin collars of that golden-bronze metal the Protoss favored, although the collars never quite touched the crystals themselves and seemed to hover of their own accord, as well. Roughly a dozen Protoss in heavy armor moved among the structures, along with a similar number of floating griffon-sized constructs built of gold metal.

The ponies stood and stared for perhaps a minute before Applejack broke the silence. “That weren’t there an hour ago,” she said slowly. “These fellas work fast.”

“Oh no, your trees!” said Fluttershy. “What happened to your trees?”

“I hate to say it, but apples ain’t our biggest problem just now.”

Rarity let out a soft sigh. “Those are the largest jewels I have ever seen.”

Applejack and Fluttershy turned to look at her.

Rarity cleared her throat. “What I mean to say is, this is obviously important, but I don’t understand your rush. What particular problem did you have in mind when you called us here, if not the trees?”

“That.” Applejack pointed. At the outskirts of the Protoss encampment, a hexagonal dome of force, barely visible as a faint shimmer in the air, rose perhaps ten meters from the ground. Another Protoss construct, this one an intricate device of golden metal encircling a pony-sized sphere of glowing blue energy, was projecting a thin stream of light that was apparently maintaining the dome. Underneath it, a familiar pegasus pony flitted about restlessly.

“Oh no!” Fluttershy darted forward, with the other two close behind. “What are they doing to Rainbow Dash?”

“Dunno,” said Applejack. “From what I heard, I think she was messing with that big floating island of theirs, or something. The Protoss stuck her in that there whatsit, and that’s all I know.”

Rainbow Dash looked up as the trio of ponies approached. She rushed to the edge of the dome and pressed her face against the inside of the force field. “Hey!” she called. “Am I glad to see you guys!” Her voice was muffled by the dome, but still audible.

“Rainbow Dash!” said Rarity. “Are you alright?”

“Pretty much. Just cooped up and kind of sc—uh, confused. Any idea when they’re gonna let me out of this thing?”

“That’s why we’re here,” said Applejack. “Don’t you fret. This’ll get sorted soon enough.”

The earth trembled beneath their hooves. The ponies looked up as a mechanical giant approached from across the valley. Fluttershy glanced about for something to hide behind, found nothing, and collapsed into a quaking pile of pegasus.

Rarity glanced at her friend. As much as she might have wanted to do the same, that was no way to make a first impression on… on whatever this thing was. Besides, Applejack was facing the monstrosity without fear, and she seemed to have some idea what was going on. Rarity put on her number three smile and turned to the golden beast.

The giant’s enormous legs covered distance quickly, and soon enough it stood before the ponies. Applejack stepped forward. “Everypony, this here’s Eidar. He’s in charge of the Protoss ‘round here, and he ain’t half as scary as he looks.”

“En taro Adun, little ones,” boomed Eidar. “I am honored to meet warriors of the pony race.”

“Eidar, I’d like you to meet my friends,” said Applejack. “These’re Rarity and Fluttershy.”

“Charmed,” said Rarity. Fluttershy let out a squeak that might have been meant as a greeting.

Applejack hesitated. “’Course you already know Rainbow Dash, here.”

“We’ve met,” spat Rainbow Dash.

Rarity tentatively approached the giant. “Forgive me for asking, Eidar, but I can’t help wondering what you’re doing to my friend. Is it really necessary for you to keep her in this… thing?”

“I fear I must,” said Eidar. “This pony tried to board our Mothership. If I order the Sentry to release her from the force field, she could threaten the fleet once again.”

“Hey!” said Rainbow Dash. “I wasn’t threatening anything! I was just exploring.”

Applejack cleared her throat. “I’m sure that’s the truth. Rainbow Dash don’t always keep to herself when she oughta, but I’ve never known her to do nothin’ real dangerous.” She paused. “Not on purpose, anyhow.”

“I cannot know her intentions,” said Eidar. “What matters are her actions, and my orders are to make certain she does not repeat them.”

“I’d say you’ve done a fine job,” said Rarity. “I think it’s safe to say everypony is quite impressed with the gravity of the situation, thanks to you. Now that you’ve made it clear just how strongly you feel about this, I’m certain Rainbow Dash won’t be doing any more exploring, whether she’s released or not.”

“Hey!” cried Rainbow Dash. “Who says?”

Rarity fixed Rainbow Dash with an exasperated glare. “Do try to keep up, darling,” she muttered out of the corner of her mouth.

“Oh, right,” said the pegasus. “Uh, lesson learned. Staying away from flying islands.”

Rarity continued as though she had not been so rudely interrupted. “So you see, Eidar, keeping her imprisoned is nothing but a waste of your extremely valuable time.”

“Likely true,” said the giant, “but I cannot take the chance. What if you are wrong?”

“Surely anypony as big and powerful as you doesn’t have to worry about one little pony,” said Rarity.

Eidar’s torso swiveled to face Rainbow Dash in her makeshift prison. He paused for several seconds, considering her, before rotating back in Rarity’s direction. “A fair point,” he said. “Your friend does appear harmless.”

“Oh, come on!” Rainbow Dash kicked uselessly at the forcefield. “I’m right here, guys!”

“She is free to go,” continued Eidar, “but be warned. Should any of your kind approach the Mothership again, I will not order them captured. They will simply be obliterated.” He turned to the construct. “Lower the force field.” The Sentry emitted a rapid series of clicks, and the wall of energy vanished as though it had never existed.

“Hah!” Rainbow Dash launched herself into the air and flew in a broad loop around the clearing. “There we go!”

“Thanks, Eidar,” said Applejack. “You folks won’t regret that.”

“I hope so, for your sake,” said Eidar.


Twilight Sparkle hadn’t wanted to go to Pinkie Pie’s party. She wanted to stay as far away from these Protoss creatures as possible, but she had made the mistake of telling Nova about the invitation, and the Terran had insisted that Twilight attend. Missing the party could be suspicious, she said. Twilight had to act exactly as if she weren’t hiding an interstellar fugitive.

And so Twilight found herself in Sugarcube Corner. Most of her friends were absent, probably still away on that adventure to Sweet Apple Acres that Fluttershy had mentioned. The scene inside superficially resembled any of Pinkie Pie’s innumerable parties. Sugarcube Corner was festooned with balloons and streamers, and dozens of ponies made their way between tables piled high with desserts of all sorts while festive music played in the background. There were two differences setting this gathering apart from the usual Pinkie party, however. Most obviously, eight or ten Protoss were in the bakery as well, hunched over to avoid hitting their heads on the ceiling. These Protoss lacked the heavy armor Twilight had seen their kind wearing in the streets of Ponyville. Instead, they favored light robes and tunics in shades of blue and violet. They stuck together in twos and threes as they navigated the party.

More subtly, this party was missing the carefree atmosphere that usually came with Pinkie Pie’s events. The ponies were subdued in the presence of the unfamiliar creatures, and although an energetic tune was playing, nopony was dancing. The tension seemed to be affecting everypony.

Every pony but one, Twilight corrected herself. Pinkie Pie grinned like the maniac she was as she tied a blindfold on one of the Protoss, who was crouching down to her level. Twilight approached curiously. Pinkie Pie slapped a piece of sticky felt into the Protoss’s four-fingered hand, grabbed him by the shoulders, and spun him around several times. “Okay, okay!” she said. “Readysetgo!”

The Protoss rose to his feet, turned slightly, and walked directly towards a colorful poster of a tailless pony hung on the bakery wall. He stopped in front of the poster, reached forward with the felt tail, paused briefly to consider, then stuck the tail squarely on the pony’s hindquarters. He stepped back. “Well, friend Pinkie? Did I succeed?”

“Ooh! Ooh! Take a look!”

The Protoss pulled off the blindfold and regarded his perfect placement. He said nothing, but allowed himself a small nod.

“You’re amazing!” said Pinkie Pie. “I’ve never seen anypony this good at Pin the Tail on the Pony! Are you sure you’ve never played?”

“Quite sure,” said the Protoss. “I have not encountered any sort of ‘games’ before.”

Twilight arrived alongside Pinkie Pie. “I don’t get it,” she said. “How did you do that so perfectly?”

“I am one with the darkness,” intoned the Protoss.

“Hi Twilight!” said Pinkie Pie. “Aregal, meet Twilight Sparkle, she’s one of my very best friends! Twilight, this is Aregal. He’s a second-funnest giant monster I’ve ever met!”

“I am honored,” said Aregal. “Applejack has spoken of your wisdom.”

“Uh, thanks,” said Twilight. She had no idea where to take the conversation from there. She turned to Pinkie Pie for support, but her friend had vanished, somehow. How did she always manage that?

“Twilight Sparkle,” said Aregal, “I must ask for your aid. My people have need of your knowledge.”

“Oh?” she said. “What’s going on?”

Aregal folded himself and sat on a couch built for somepony less than half his size, yet somehow managed to make the position look relaxed and balanced. “We have come in search of a thief. A creature called a Terran came to my home planet and stole the Uraj, a crystal of great power. The thief fled here, and we followed. We must recover the Uraj whatever the cost. It is my people’s last and best defense against the Zerg swarms. Every moment the Uraj is missing from Shakuras, my home is in danger of being devoured by the Queen of Blades and her spawn.”

Twilight frowned. Nova hadn’t mentioned anything about stealing the Uraj, but then again, Nova never did say how she got it. That wasn’t lying, exactly, but it sure wasn’t honest. Twilight wondered if the Protoss were really as bad as Nova said. She decided to find out. “What about the Terran? What will you do if you find your thief?”

“Kill her, of course.”

Twilight barely managed not to gape. She wasn’t entirely surprised by the answer, but she had no idea how to respond to the thought of casually killing anyone. One thing was certain: even if Nova really was a thief, Twilight still had to protect her.

“Your orange friend has spoken of you as a scholar among your people, Twilight Sparkle,” said Aregal. “Will you help me understand your ways?”

Twilight remembered Nova’s instructions. She had to act as though she had never seen a Terran in her life. What would she say to the Protoss if she weren’t trying to hide Nova from them? “Of course,” she said. “A party isn’t really the best place for it, though. Why don’t you come to the library afterwards?”

Aregal nodded. “As you say.”


“You did what?” said Nova.

“I invited Aregal here,” said Twilight.

Nova paced back and forth across the library’s living floor. She felt the fear of discovery now, for the first time since she had crashed on this backwater, but she had long since learned to put fear aside when it wasn’t useful.

The light coming through the windows was fading to a cheerful shade of rose as the sun approached the horizon. Nova had left the shades open to keep an eye on the position of the enormous Protoss Mothership. It was still hovering above the forest where her own vessel had crashed. “I can’t risk getting that close to a Dark Templar. They’re experts at stealth. Hiding would be next to impossible. This is bad.”

“I was just doing what you told me,” said Twilight. “If I had nothing to hide, I’d definitely ask a stranger to come here.”

Nova refused to let her frustration show. The alien was trying to help, after all. She was just horribly inexperienced. “It’s okay,” she said. “We can adapt. I’ll need somewhere else to hide until this place is safe again.”

“Everfree Forest,” said Twilight. “There’s plenty of undergrowth to hide in.”

“No good. The Protoss have robotic Observers with sensors that can see right through the foliage. I need to stay among ponies, so my heat signature and psionic activity won’t stand out.”

“How about Fluttershy’s cottage?” said the alien. “She already knows you’re here, and nopony else goes there very much, but it’s not empty. It’s way on the edge of town.”

“Perfect,” said Nova. “Give me the coordinates, and I’ll get moving.” She picked up the canister containing the Uraj crystal and slung it across her back.

“Hold on,” said Twilight. “What if the Protoss find you while you’re outside?”

“I’m trained in stealth,” Nova said, “but it is still a risk. Staying here is also risky. If they find me here, though, you’ll also be in danger. There’s no reason to take that chance.” Nova found herself wondering why she cared what happened to this alien. Twilight was a valuable asset, she told herself. Protecting her was vital to the mission. That was all, surely.

Twilight nodded. “I’ll draw you a map.” The alien psionically levitated a parchment and quill from one of the many desks scattered throughout the building. Nova watched closely as the alien began to sketch. That explained how these creatures built their technology without hands. It was only a few minutes before she finished a surprisingly detailed map of the village.

“Thanks.” Nova examined the map, committing the route to memory, before putting the parchment in one of her suit’s pouches. She strode towards the stairs leading down to the library’s entrance. “I’ll move out as soon as—”

The sound of a door opening came below. The two of them froze and exchanged a nervous glance. Nova gestured towards the stairs. Twilight nodded and descended.

Nova pulled on her suit’s hood and visor, moving slowly so as not to make a sound. She thumbed a button on the visor’s side, turning her audio scanners up to maximum. She heard the distant words as though they were right next to her.

“—come to continue our conversation,” came the rumbling voice of a Protoss.

“Right! What can I help you with?” Twilight’s voice was heavy with forced cheer. Nova made a mental note to teach her ally to lie better, if she had a chance.

“I have observed three tribes among the ponies. Applejack has told me of your physical differences, but I would know more of your tribes’ hierarchy.” Twilight’s amateur distraction seemed to be working, then.

“What do you mean?” said Twilight.

Slowly, carefully, Nova made her way towards the far wall with its window to the outside world and relative safety. She tested her weight before each step, only moving forward once she was sure the wood beneath her would not creak and betray her presence.

“Who leads the unicorns?” said the Protoss. “Who leads the pegasi? How do the heads of the tribes settle their differences?”

“Ponies don’t work that way. We don’t live apart like that. The mayor leads all of Ponyville, and all the mayors and duchesses and princes and whatnot answer to Princess Celestia.”

Nova reached the window and silently slid it open. A tranquil breeze ambled into the library, but failed to penetrate her hood’s air filter. The ground was perhaps fifteen feet below, and she saw no sign of anyone in the street.

“Intriguing,” said the Protoss. “Tell me more of this princess.”

Nova slid out the window and dropped, landing lightly in a loose crouch.

“What was that sound?” came the Protoss’s voice through her amplified hearing.

“Probably just some books falling over,” said Twilight. “It happens sometimes. Now, the princess is…”

Nova rose to her feet and slipped off into the evening.


“…and then they put aside their differences and decided to share the land,” Twilight finished. “With the strife over, the windigoes lost their power and fled, and that’s how Equestria was made.”

“I see,” said Aregal. “Would that my own people lived in such harmony.”

“Why? How are the Protoss different?”

“In ages past, we split into two factions, much like your three pony tribes of old. The Khalai remained on our home world of Aiur. My own people, the Nerazim, were sent into exile. We wandered the stars for a time before settling the planet of Shakuras. For hundreds of years, we lived apart… until the Zerg came. The swarms descended upon Aiur and slew most of the Khalai, save those who escaped to Shakuras. We tried to reunite, but there was distrust and conflict, as with your own people. It even turned to war, briefly, but that ended before the Zerg turned to Shakuras. We used the Uraj to power a great weapon and drive the Zerg from our home, but relations between the two tribes remain… tense.”

“You fought a war? Protoss killed other Protoss?”

“Sadly, yes. It is a long tale, full of pride, tragedy, and betrayal.”

“But I still don’t understand how these two tribes are actually different from each other,” said Twilight.

“I will not delve into the details of the Khala,” said Aregal. “Suffice to say that the Khalai live for duty and honor. They are the ones who wear their heavy armor into battle. My own people are more… subtle.”

“I’ve seen more than those two types, though. What about that giant metal thing with the four legs?”

“Ah, yes. You speak of Eidar. He was once a warrior of the Khalai, until he was struck down during the civil war. His dying body was sealed in the machine you have seen. It keeps him in a semblance of life and allows him to continue fighting for the Protoss.”

“That sounds horrible,” said Twilight.

“Perhaps. But we have need of every warrior, and Eidar will not abandon us so long as an ounce of strength remains in his shattered body.”




Fluttershy half-stumbled into her bedroom, thoroughly exhausted. Rescuing Rainbow Dash had been tiring enough. After coming right home to deal with Sweetie Belle and her friends, she wanted nothing more than to collapse into bed. She had caught the girls faking sleep twice, but this time she was certain the three of them were really out for the night. Now she could finally—

Fluttershy sensed something behind her. She spun around to find a giant shadow looming over her with burning green eyes. Before she could scream, a cold, steel-clad hand clamped over her mouth.

“Don’t worry,” came Nova’s voice, barely above a whisper. “It’s me. Stay quiet.”

Fluttershy was less than reassured, but she forced herself to nod.

Nova tentatively released her. “The library’s been compromised, for now. I’ll be staying here until tomorrow.”

Fluttershy rubbed at her jaw. The Terran’s grip would probably leave a bruise. “Oh. Okay.”

“I was expecting you to be alone. I nearly barged in on those kids before I saw them.”

“If you asked me before you came here,” Fluttershy said reproachfully, “I could’ve told you about them.”

“There was no time. Anyway, I need somewhere secure to sleep.”

“The cellar locks from inside, I guess.”

“That will do. Thanks.” Nova was gone almost before Fluttershy realized she was moving.

Fluttershy sighed. She had helped lots of injured creatures in her time, but none of them had been as pushy as this Terran, afterwards. Usually they were friendlier once Fluttershy nursed them back to health. It was like dealing with a giant Angel Bunny. Well, there was nothing for it. She crawled into bed, hoping that Nova would be in a better mood after a good night’s rest.

4: In Which A Search Is Conducted

Twilight Sparkle peered through her telescope, trying to get a good look at the distant pillar of crackling blue devastation tearing through Everfree Forest. From the library’s balcony, she could see the hovering Protoss island-ship incinerating swathes of the Everfree Forest with some sort of unspeakably huge magical cannon. Twilight hoped this didn’t have anything to do with Nova’s disappearance. The Terran had left the library only last night. Now, the sun wasn’t even fully risen, but something had clearly disturbed the Protoss.

Ponies feared what they did not understand, Twilight knew. If she could understand this cannon, then maybe she could lessen the horrible sense of doom that sat in her stomach like a rock. Twilight was too far away to see much detail with the naked eye, but when she tried aiming the telescope directly at the brilliant Protoss weapon, it nearly blinded her. Now she was trying to look near the edges of the beam, but a haze of smoke washed out the details.

“Twilight.”

She leaped into the air and spun around, nearly upsetting the telescope. “Don’t do that!”

“Sorry.” Nova didn’t look particularly sorry, Twilight thought. The Terran stayed in the doorway rather than joining Twilight on the balcony. “I made it back without incident. I take it you got rid of the Protoss?”

“He left, yes. What’s that?” Twilight gestured at the pillar of light behind her.

“I’m not exactly sure. I’ve never seen a weapon that big. You should come inside before someone sees you and wonders who you’re talking to.”

Twilight nodded and hurried into the library. The more she saw of the Protoss, the more reasonable Nova’s precautions seemed. Even Nova’s talk of killing… Twilight would never approve of it, but she was starting to understand why Nova thought that way. That realization scared her as much as the Protoss themselves.

“I meant to talk to you before you left,” said Twilight. “I talked to Aregal at the party. He said you stole that crystal of yours from the Protoss.”

“I did,” Nova said. If she felt any shame, she hid it well. “Before that, it was on a Dominion world. The Protoss took the Uraj in a raid. Quite a few of us died, that day.”

“Let me guess,” said Twilight. “If I go back further, someone else had the crystal before your Dominion.”

Nova nodded approvingly. “Now you’re getting it. It doesn’t matter who had it before. What matters is who has it now.”

Twilight paused. “Wait a minute. Where is that crystal?” Nova was never out of sight of her canister, but Twilight couldn’t find any sign of it, now.

“I hid it while I was out. That way, if I do get caught, I’ll still have some leverage over the Protoss.”

“Where?”

“You don’t need to know that.”

Twilight huffed. “You don’t trust me?”

“The less you know, the safer we both are.”



Applejack was used to waking up to the soft light of dawn. She was not used to waking up to the harsh light of a Protoss weapon incinerating the Everfree Forest.

“Just what in the hay do y’all think you’re doing up there?” she demanded of the aliens in front of her house. Finding them had been the second-most surprising thing to happen in the minutes since Applejack had awoken. This was not shaping up to be a very good day.

“Our search has proven fruitless,” said their leader, a stocky Protoss clad in robes of gold and blue who had introduced herself as High Templar Khaytuun. “It is time for more drastic measures. If the Terran is in the forest, the purifier beam will drive her out. Or perhaps she will simply be incinerated. If so, the Uraj itself will survive the blast, and recovering it from the detritus will be a simple matter.”

“But you’re destroying the forest!”

“The Uraj is the cornerstone of our world’s defenses against the Zerg,” said Khaytuun. “It is the difference between life and death for my people. I would happily burn a thousand forests to cinders, if that is what we must do to recover it.”

Applejack looked towards the distant weapon. “How do you know your crystal even in the forest?”

“We do not. That is why we were sent here.” Khaytuun gestured to the Protoss who had accompanied her. There were a dozen armored warriors, as well as two Dark Templars in their shadowy cloaks. “The Terran cannot be far from her ship. She is either in the forest, in your orchard, or in the settlement. I am told you have been helpful, and Executor Selendis has no wish to turn the purifier against your livelihood. We will search the farm on foot rather than incinerate it.”

“I thought you trusted me,” said Applejack. “I tell ya, there ain’t nopony else on this here farm.”

“I do not doubt your word. Still, the Terran is a skilled infiltrator, as we learned to our sorrow, and there is no limit to her kind’s treachery. She may be hiding on your land without your knowledge. We will search, and you will help us. The sooner we find the Terran, the less damage your forest will suffer.”

Applejack rubbed her chin. “And if she ain’t here, neither?”

“Our warriors are searching the town even now. There is nowhere left for the thief to hide.”




The door to the boutique flew open. Rarity nearly dropped her sewing in shock as an armored Protoss ducked through the pony-sized door. By the time he was standing straight, Rarity had recovered her composure. “Is there something I can help you with?”

“We have come to search this dwelling for signs of the Terran infiltrator.” The Protoss strode forward as more of his kind streamed into the shop.

“Not to worry,” said Rarity. “There are no infiltrators here, Terran or otherwise.”

“Perhaps,” boomed the Protoss, “but we were instructed to search every building in this town, and so we shall.”

Rarity wouldn’t have minded helping the Protoss, she decided, if they had only asked nicely. She didn’t care for their attitude one bit, however. “I’m terribly sorry, but we can’t have that. I haven’t the time, and I’d sooner not—hey! Don’t touch that!” She rushed towards a warrior who was shoving aside racks of clothes. “Those are extremely delicate!”

The warrior turned to face her. “Tread carefully, little pony. You will not stand in our way.”

“Oh, that is it,” said Rarity. “You want to barge into my home and push me around like some kind of lackey? Well, I don’t think so, buster!” She stalked forward with fury in her eyes.

The warrior dropped into a battle stance. Twin blades of bluish-white energy, each nearly as long as a pony, sprang to life from the ends his golden bracers. The other Protoss moved to surround Rarity.

“Hold.” A four-fingered hand fell lightly on the warrior’s shoulder. “We did not come here to fight.” The hand belonged to a Protoss in a cloak of deepest indigo that shimmered like the night itself. Rarity forced her attention away from the magnificent fabric and to the Protoss who wore it. He had entered without her noticing, an impressive feat from a creature three times the height of a pony.

The blades vanished and the warrior stepped back. “As you say, Prelate Aregal.”

Aregal crouched down to Rarity’s height. “I apologize for my companions. The Khalai never learned the art of subtlety.”

Rarity nodded. She knew what it was like to deal with friends who were… overly blunt. “I trust you have an explanation for this?”

“Our quest grows more desperate. The Executor has commanded us to search your town for our quarry. If you would be kind enough to help us, then we can be gone from this place quickly, with little disruption.”

Rarity looked over the Protoss standing about her boutique. There were eight of them, resplendent in armor heavy enough to stop a manticore’s claws. “I suppose I can’t stop you anyway,” she said. “Very well, conduct your search. But be gentle! I won’t have you ruining my designs.”



“I don’t like this,” said Twilight. “They’ll be here in less than an hour, I think.” She was peering out the library window, reporting on the movements of the Protoss search parties. There were at least half a dozen, Twilight had said, and the closest was searching a house barely forty meters away.

“I evaded them once,” Nova said with more confidence than she felt. She was sitting on Twilight’s tiny bed, well out of view from the streets below. “I can evade them again. Just distract them below as long as you can, and I’ll—hold on.” A faint beeping from her suit indicated an incoming transmission. The comm drone she had placed in orbit before her crash was receiving something and relaying it down to her. Nova pulled her visor over her eyes and played the transmission.

The familiar face of Colonel Starkwolf sprang into being in the center of the visor’s screen, superimposed over her vision. Bethany Starkwolf’s close-cropped hair was more gray than brown, and her face was like the aftermath of a bombing run.

The speakers in Nova’s hood sprang to life. “Damn, girl, if you ain’t more trouble than you’re worth.” Starkwolf’s voice was raspy after decades of chain-smoking cigarettes. Nova was briefly thankful that the transmission didn’t include smell. “We got your message, alright. Good thing, too. We never woulda tracked you to that backwater planet you managed to find. Now, if the Protoss ain’t killed you yet, you just sit tight, ‘cause today is your lucky day. Looks like you got your very own knight in shining armor.”

Starkwolf disappeared, and was replaced with a face Nova had only seen in propaganda posters. He wasn’t much over twenty, with perfect blond hair and a jawline that was made to be carved into marble. “You’re fortunate I was with the fleet when your transmission came in,” said Prince Valerian Mengsk, heir to the throne of the Terran Dominion. “The Uraj is vital to one of my… other projects, and I intend to retrieve it. We’re on route with the Bucephalus, the Daedalus, and the Hecate. That should be more than enough to drive off the Protoss. Valerian out.”

The transmission ended, leaving Nova with an unobstructed view of Twilight Sparkle, who was staring at her curiously. “Is everything okay?” she asked.

“Oh, yes.” Nova couldn’t suppress her grin. “It’s past time we had some good news. Help is on the way, Twilight. Three Battlecruisers worth of help.”



Fluttershy had kept the fillies inside through the morning. She wasn’t about to let them outside while the forest was burning. That had been the plan, anyway.

“Scootaloo!” she shouted as she burst outside. “Scootaloo, come back here!”

“But I wanna see!” Scootaloo was scaling the outside of the chicken coop, wings beating furiously as she clambered towards the roof.

Fluttershy grabbed her by the scruff of the neck and set her on the ground. “It could be dangerous out here. I don’t know what’s going on.”

Apple Bloom’s voice came from behind. “But how will we know if we can’t even take a look?”

Fluttershy whirled. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle had followed her outside. “Girls! Go back inside, please.”

“Aw, but—”

“No buts.” Fluttershy herded the two of them into the cottage. “Stay put, now. This is serious.” The fillies nodded, cowed by whatever they saw in Fluttershy’s expression. She turned back to Scootaloo, who was once again climbing the coop.

Scootaloo saw her coming. She let out a squeak and dropped to the ground. Before Fluttershy could grab her, she scurried underneath the coop. The space was too narrow for a full-grown pony to follow, as Scootaloo surely knew. “Scootaloo! Come out of there right now!”

“Hey! What’s this?”

Fluttershy stuck her head beneath the coop as far she could. Scootaloo was prying at something stuck to the floorboards above her. “Now isn’t the time to play! Please, come on out and—” Fluttershy stopped as she realized what Scootaloo had found. Nova must have hidden her canister here when she stayed over, last night. “Oh, my.”

Scootaloo unscrewed the canister’s cap. “Look! It opens!”




On the bridge of the Mothership, the crew paused as a surge of psionic energies touched every Protoss mind.

“Ready a Warp Prism,” commanded Selendis. “I must go the surface immediately.”



“Stay here,” Aregal told his warriors. “See that the town remains under control. I will investigate.”



“Whoa,” said Twilight. “Do you feel that?” She was struck by the sensation of a short, sharp shock as a strange magical pressure washed over her mind. It was distant, but powerful enough that she could feel it clearly even here.

“Melt me down for scrap!” Nova cursed. “That’s the Uraj! Something must’ve happened to its shielding.” She leaped up and hurried to the library stairs, pulling a curious metal device from a sheath at her hip as she went. “If we can feel its psionic signature, then the Protoss can, too. I have to get to it before they do.

“I’m not letting you do this alone.” Twilight followed, struggling to keep up with Nova’s long-legged strides. “What’s that thing you have?”

“P-38 Gauss pistol. Seven hundred rounds per minute. Depleted uranium shells.” Nova went down the stairs four at a time.

“I don’t know what that means,” said Twilight.

“It’s a weapon. Smaller than I’d like, but it’ll have to do.” Nova reached the bottom of the stairs and ran for the door.

“I won’t let you kill anypony!”

“And when they try to kill me?” Nova didn’t wait for an answer. She threw open the door and burst onto the street, breaking into a sprint as she went. Twilight galloped after. The streets were empty of ponies, thanks to the Protoss raids. They ran towards the source of the strange magic.

They rounded a corner and nearly collided with Eidar. The behemoth’s torso rotated to face them with uncanny speed. Before Twilight even had time to worry, the thing’s massive arms fired twin bolts of radiant magic.

Nova was already diving aside. The bolts exploded against the ground where she had been a moment before. Bits of sod smacked against Twilight’s side hard enough to bruise. Nova landed in a roll that brought her back to her feet, flinging a hoof-sized object at Eidar as she rose.

There was a magical flash as the object struck some sort of shield around Eidar. The object burst with a sound like a balloon rubbing against hair, sending tendrils of energy to dance across the giant’s chassis. Eidar froze for a moment, then began twitching at random, swiveling his torso to and fro while taking small, useless steps with his gargantuan legs.

Twilight stood rooted to the ground. “What… what just…”

“Lockdown grenade.” Nova kept running, never even breaking stride. “That won’t disable it for long. Let’s move!” Twilight forced herself to run, leaving Eidar behind.

The queer magical sensation grew stronger. Twilight could feel its emanations pulsing like a bass drum in the back of her head. She was so distracted by the feeling, it took her several minutes to realize they were heading towards Fluttershy’s house. Soon enough, the cottage came into view, as did the two Protoss warriors standing guard outside the door. The Uraj’s call blazed from the cottage like an unseen sun.

“Terran! You will die!” The warriors conjured a pair of magical blades from their enchanted bracers and charged.

Twilight was ready this time. She cast two quick spells, and in place of the fearsome warriors was a pair of oranges storming forward on tiny, gold-armored legs.

“Strange,” said Nova, “but effective. I’ll finish them off.” She pointed her weapon at the Protoss.

“Don’t!” said Twilight. “Don’t you dare kill them!”

“It would be a kinder fate than leaving them as… what is that, some sort of citrus fruit?”

“It’s just a simple fructomorph spell. It’ll wear off in a day or two.”

Nova’s aim never wavered as she spoke. “And what will you do once it wears off and they try to kill you again?”

“Maybe they won’t try to kill me if I don’t go around killing their friends! Did you—”

A rush of movement. A Dark Templar cloak slipped off the roof of Fluttershy’s chicken coop and charged Nova as fast as anything Twilight had ever seen.

Nova froze, wearing a look of concentration that Twilight instantly recognized as spellcasting. A momentary flash of blue light sprang from Nova’s head and struck the Protoss, who staggered to a halt. He stood still for several seconds while Nova collected herself. “Leave,” she commanded.

“Leave,” the Protoss repeated in a flat voice. “I… yes. Leave.” He turned and walked away, towards the Everfree Forest.

“Faster,” said Nova. The Protoss broke into a run.

“You just took over his mind!” Twilight almost shrieked. “I can’t believe you did that!” Twilight’s own forays into mind control had been limited but disturbing, and had never brought anything but pain to everypony involved. Even then, the most dangerous spells she knew were not nearly as blunt or invasive as the one Nova had just used.

“Would you prefer I’d killed him?” Nova stepped over the fructomorphs as she went to the cottage door and cracked it open.

Two Protoss stood with their backs to the entrance. One of Aregal’s massive hands was clamped around Sweetie Belle’s withers, suspending her at the Protoss’s shoulder level. A blade of green-white magic extended from the bracer on his other arm and stopped inches away from her throat. The filly was all but catatonic with terror. The other Protoss, an unfamiliar female in lighter armor than the warriors usually favored, held a bright violet crystal the size and shape of Princess Celestia’s horn. The waves of magic radiating from the crystal were unmistakable. Fluttershy had backed into a corner, shielding the cowering forms of Apple Bloom and Scootaloo with her outstretched wings.

Nova’s every muscle was as tense as a steel cable. She slowly raised her weapon and aimed it at the Protoss holding the Uraj.

Aregal whirled, dropping Sweetie Belle to the ground. “Selendis!” he cried. “Behind you!”

Subtlety abandoned, Nova rushed inside. Her weapon spat out flashes of light and the most tremendous noises Twilight had ever heard. A sphere of magic blinked into existence around Selendis. The shield sparked and rippled as projectiles struck it too quickly to be seen. Bits of hot metal ricocheted around the room and smoldered against the wood where they came to rest.

The weapon stopped flashing, and its thunderous roar was replaced by a soft clicking sound. Nova stepped back as Selendis turned to face her, slowly. “How good of you to show yourself.”

Twilight hesitantly entered the cottage. She had vague ideas of keeping the situation from getting any worse, but was too dazzled by the light and sound to figure out exactly how. She saw Fluttershy ushering the foals out the back of the cottage.

Nova cast her mind control spell. The blue bolt passed through Selendis’s shield and struck her squarely.

Selendis shook her head, as though dispelling the last vestiges of sleep. “Impressive for a Terran, but I am the Executor of this fleet. I learned to crush stronger minds than yours before I finished the third stage of my training.”

Nova’s hand darted for some device on her belt. Selendis made a short gesture with her free hand. A column of purple magic enveloped Nova for half a heartbeat. She cried out once and collapsed bonelessly, landing on a pastel blue coffee table and smashing it to pieces.

That was enough to snap Twilight out of her daze. She stepped forward, glaring upwards at the Executor. “What did you do?”

Selendis ignored her and looked to Aregal, who had somehow made his way behind Twilight. “Take the Terran back to the fleet. We have what we came for.”

“You hurt my friend!” Twilight was almost shrieking, now.

“Your friend?” Selendis turned her glowing eyes on Twilight. “You ponies knew of her presence? Perhaps we are not done here, after all.”

“I never wanted any of this! I never wanted you here! Go away!” Magic surged through Twilight’s horn. Selendis vanished in a flash of magenta light, teleported to… Twilight wasn’t sure. Away.

Almost instantly, Selendis reappeared with a burst of rippling blue magic. “That was a mistake.”

Twilight stomped a hoof. She threw the full force of her will behind the spell, this time. Selendis vanished once again. Twilight found herself wondering how far away she had ended up.

When the Protoss did not immediately reappear, Twilight rushed to Nova’s side. She couldn’t see any sign of injury, but she wasn’t sure if Nova was breathing. Twilight leaned in to take a closer look.

Selendis burst back into existence. “Enough,” she said, a note of rage creeping into the steady calm of her voice.

Twilight hissed and ground her teeth. “You hurt my friend!” She began gathering her magic.

Selendis’s eyes flared with power. The space around Twilight filled with crackling blue lightning that tore burning chunks from the walls.

Twilight had studied magic under many teachers, but the very first had been her older brother, whose special talent was protection. She instantly conjured a shield on pure instinct, holding the lightning at bay in a sphere just large enough to protect herself and Nova.

With a great, shuddering breath, Twilight gathered yet more power. Her horn felt ready to burst, and her vision was shaded magenta, as though she were looking through colored glass. Twilight took all the emotions of the past days —all her fear, frustration, and grief—and poured it into one spell. Her legs trembled beneath her and white spots appeared before her eyes as Twilight struggled to contain the power overwhelming her body.

Twilight’s voice reverberated as she spoke. “I said, go away!” A flash, brighter than the sun. When Twilight could see again, Selendis was gone, and the ground where she had stood was covered in a fine dusting of ash.

She stood still, keeping her magic about her in case Selendis returned once again. Not until it became apparent that Selendis was gone for good did Twilight let herself relax. Her magic winked out and she stumbled to her knees. Twilight wanted to collapse into sleep, but Nova still needed help. Now that she was close, Twilight could see Nova’s chest gently rising and falling, but she was still—

An arm snaked from behind her and wrapped around Twilight’s throat. It jerked her off the ground in a single motion and crushed her against a muscular Protoss torso. Twilight couldn’t breathe. Her own weight was squeezing her windpipe closed. She struggled, but the arm was as hard and unyielding as iron. She tried to summon her magic, but could not concentrate over her rising panic. Blotches of nothingness appeared in her vision. Her struggles slowed, then stopped.

“I am sorry, friend Sparkle,” Aregal’s voice rumbled in her ear, and then there was only darkness.

5: In Which The Princess Intervenes

Applejack galloped through Ponyville, fighting down a rising sense of panic. When Fluttershy had arrived at the farm, three terrified fillies in tow, her story had convinced Applejack that she would find Ponyville in chaos. Instead, the town was silent, save for small bands of Protoss who watched her warily as she passed.

Through a gap between two houses, Applejack spotted sunlight glinting off Eidar’s chassis. She hurried towards him. Applejack wasn’t certain what she intended to do, exactly, but she knew she had to do something.

She found Eidar in the middle of a grassy road, facing Aregal. Around them were half a dozen armored Khalai and nearly as many of Aregal’s Nerazim in their tenebrous cloaks. The two factions stood in separate groups, each behind their own leader. Applejack frowned. That was new.

“—located the Executor’s psionic call,” Eidar was saying. His towering body dwarfed Aregal’s, but the Dark Templar appeared as composed as ever. “It appears she is on this planet’s moon, somehow.”

Aregal’s eyes widened. “Indeed? Then your followers on the Mothership must recall her at once.” Aregal glanced at Applejack as she arrived, then turned his attention back to Eidar. “Without her leadership, I fear for the fleet’s unity.”

“We cannot,” said Eidar. “Creating the wormhole would drain the Mothership’s energy reserves for some time. We would be at a disadvantage if a threat should appear before we recharge.”

“Your caution will cost us time,” said Aregal. “There are no dangers here.”

“If there are no threats, then there is no need for haste. I have dispatched a Warp Prism. It will reach this planet’s moon, retrieve Executor Selendis, and return to the fleet within days. In the meantime, we will not relax our vigilance.”

Applejack approached the pair of them. “Beg pardon,” she said, “but what in the hay did y’all do to Twilight?”

“Yes,” said Eidar, never turning away from Aregal. “What has become of the Terran’s ally?”

Aregal faced Applejack, looming over the pony. “Your friend was aiding the thief. We captured them both, but not before Twilight Sparkle transported Executor Selendis to your planet’s moon. My people have imprisoned both fugitives within stasis cells.”

“To what end, Dark Templar?” Eidar’s lack of a face made it difficult for Applejack to read his emotions, but the way he shuffled his bulky legs was anything but calm. “The Executor made it clear what fate awaits the Terran. I demand you turn the prisoners over to the Khalai to face justice.”

Aregal stepped towards Eidar until the two were only inches apart. “The situation has changed. Selendis did not know the Terran was in league with the ponies. She may wish to handle the situation differently. The prisoners will face her judgment, not yours.”

Applejack stomped a hoof. “Hold up, now. Twi’s a good pony. Whatever she did, I know she did it for a good reason.”

“Then perhaps you can help me discover her purpose,” said Aregal. “Will you speak to her?”

“’Course I will.”

“Good.” Aregal nodded. “Eidar, I trust you can keep order here in town while we deal with this.”

“As you will.” Eidar turned and marched back towards his followers.

“This way, friend Applejack.” Aregal set off towards the farm. “We will hear what Twilight Sparkle has to say.”

Author's Note:

A bit of silly fun I was writing whenever I didn't feel like tackling more serious projects. It's been several months since I've touched this, though, so it's time to admit I probably won't come back to it.