• Published 17th Feb 2013
  • 1,314 Views, 68 Comments

The Mixer Chronicles - Mixer



A stranger in Equestria, Mixer tries to to make the best of his new life.

  • ...
6
 68
 1,314

Unum Omnes

The Mixer Chronicles

Book Twenty Seven:
Unum Omnes

Soulless walked up to the gates of Arax’s fortified city, two barista's trained on them.

The dull orange pegasus had a fiery orange mane, and without his armor, his cutie mark was visible, two swords crossed over a flame.

the doors slowly opened for them, pegasi waiting in two lines leading to Arax, who stood proudly in his armor.

“Torris...” Arax said in disgust.

The beaten pegasus looked up at Arax.

Soulless grabbed him and put his blade to Torris’s throat.

“Where is Mixer?” Soulless growled.

Arax let out a short dry laugh, “You think that we would just trade for him? Torris no longer has the right to be a member of the triumvirate!” Arax boomed.

Soulless didn't reply, or give head to Torris, who was pleading for his life, he simply slit the pegasus’s throat.

After a moment, the gem in his blade started glowing softly, but nopony noticed, instead leveling a forest of spears at him.

“Are you really so willing to cast aside your only defense? Then you will be easy to take prisoner,” Arax said.

There was a terrified cry from the wall as a scorpion crawled over and tore into a pegasus manning a ballista.

Soulless wasted no time, activating his amulet, giving him the appearance of a pony made of steel, and teleported behind Arax.

“To slow assassin!” Arax said, batting away the blade that Soulless had aimed at Arax’s neck.

While Soulless engaged Arax, the airship began its attack on the city, firing a shot from the small cannon.

Thunderlane, Phalanx, Trottson, and Luna were all ready to take off.

“Stay close to me, I want a tight formation,” Luna said.

“Right!” the three of them said, taking off.

While they flew, scorpions battled pegasi, while Arax, fought Soulless.

“You will need more than cheap tricks to defeat me,” Arax, said, defying Soulless’s teleportation for the third time.

“Fine,” he growled, extending both blades.

Arax grabbed a sword that was tossed to him and the two began dueling, parrying and striking.

After a few parries, Arax and Soulless locked blades.

“You have some martial prowess after all,” Arax goaded, face to face with Soulless.

Soulless, torqued his blades and sent Arax’s sword spiraling away through the air.

Arax swore as he barely dodged Soulless’s next swing.

He grabbed a spear from a soldier and stood up on his hind legs, daring Soulless to charge.

He wouldn’t, normally charge, but the press of soldiers behind him forced his hoof.

He charged at Arax, full speed.

Arax leveled his spear, ready to thrust in into the charging pony.

Soulless teleported in close, sliding under Arax, and cutting both back legs, causing him to tumble to the ground.

Soulless followed up by jumping up and moving in to finish off the crippled pony.

It ended in a draw, one of Soulless’ blades buried in Arax’s left front leg, while the other was pressed against his throat. Arax held his spear to Soulless’ throat as well, staring up at him.

The soldiers that had been watching started to close in on him, brandishing swords and spears.

Phalanx, Trottson, and Thunderlane landed in a protective triangle around him, while Luna dove , wielding only her crescent blade.

When she landed, the soldiers gave her room, not wanting to become the new focus of the deadly blade.

“Order them to stand down,” Luna threatened Arax.

“They won’t stand down if I’m defeated, they will fight,” he said.

“I doubt that,” Soulless said.

“YOUR COMMANDER IS OURS, SURRENDER NOW AND NO HARM WILL COME TO YOU!” Luna shouted in the royal Canterlot voice.

Some of the soldiers laid down their arms, but more fled, flying over the walls and off into the distance.

Arax sighed, as Soulless got off of him, and Luna lifted him up with her magic.

“What do you want?” he asked, resigned to his fate.

“We want our friend back,” Luna said.

“He is with Sophia,” Arax said.

“The last of the triumvirate,” Soulless said.

“Yes, but she will now have whatever forces of mine fled as well as her own force,” Arax stated.

“Then we will trade you for him,” Luna said.

“I doubt that she will be willing to,” Arax said.

“We shall see,” Luna said.
--

I had slept the night in an unlocked room, with fine accommodations, and a good meal, but I was still suspicious about Sophia’s intentions.

In the morning, she had awakened me, and had me put on a robe with an eagle on the chest, and had me followed her around the city, talking about what I thought of the way the city was being run.

“Well, the citizens don’t seem to mind your presence,” I said.

“Do you know why?” she asked.

“Why?” I asked, knowing she was going to tell me anyways.

“It’s because I offered them the opportunity to prove themselves by being cooperative,” she said.

“What do you mean? I inquired, now interested in what she had to say.

“Torris and Arax each have their own way of ruling, Torris through harsh punishment, and Arax through strict rules. I, however, rule be having the ponies want me to rule them,” she explained.

I just looked quizzically a her.

“Let me explain. I told them how poorly the other two were treating their new ‘subjects’ and how I was not like them, and that if they cooperated, they could show the others that we weren't all bad, softening them for when I would eventually have to take them from Arax and Torris. Fortunately enough, you and your friends are speeding up the process,” she finished.

“So why are you so obsessed with taking power for yourself? The way you talk about taking power makes you sound like a power hungry tyrant,” I challenged.

“Trust me Mixer, there are worse ponies out there who are trying to wrest control of the empire for themselves,” she said, giving me a glare.

“Sophia! Sophia!” a soldier called, rushing up to us.

“What is it?” she asked.

“It’s Callidus,” he huffed, “He brought a detachment of the praetorians!”

“What?” she questioned, worry in her voice.

Three heavily armored pegasi landed in front of her, all with shields and swords at their belts.

“By decree of the new emperor, you and the triumvirate are to report back to capitol,” the lead one said in a strong voice.

“Callidus isn’t the emperor!” Sophia snapped.

“Then, we will have to consider you traitors if you fail to comply,” the stallion said, drawing his sword.

“I’ll never listen to that pretender!” she growled, extending her blade.

“Very well,” the lead stallion said calmly before lunging at her.

She gave out a squeak as he bore down on her, closing her eyes, her hooves drawn up in a feeble attempt to shield herself.

There was a clash of metal on crystal as I stood to block the blade, using the crystal from Sophia’s blade to make a gauntlet to stop the descending blade.

“What impudence is this?” he questioned, trying to overpower me.

“Sophia, run!” I cried.

“What?” was all that she could muster.

“Go!” I ordered again, pushing back on the sword.

He pulled away as she got up and moved to where a pair of her guards were fighting another of the praetorians.

I extended the gauntlet into a set of armor and a sword, and stood to block their path.

“You’re not getting through me,” I growled.

“Such confident words,” the lead on said, lunging at me.

I parried his blade to the side at attempted to slash him across the chest, but I couldn’t cut through the armor with force alone, and my blade bounced off.

I looked back when I head Sophia let out a cry of pain.

On of the praetorians had thrown a javelin and hit her in the joint between her shoulder and her wing.

I split off from the three that were fighting me and rushed over to her, pulling the javelin from her.

“We need to get her out of here,” one of the guards said.

“Sound, the retreat,” Sophia said, her breathing painful.

I put a crystal in the wound to prevent further bleeding and made a crystal board as the other guards held off the praetorians.

I took off with Sophia laying on my board, as many of her guards tried to disengage from the praetorians.

While many of them did not make it, a good number was able to escape, and we started flying towards where the nearest city was, Arax’s stronghold.

After flying for a short time, we ran into some legionaries from Arax’s force, telling us what happened.

“With Arax captured, we are now under your service,” the commander said to Sophia.

“Take us back, we need to gather our forces to fight Callidus,” she wheezed, still in pain from the wound.

“Callidus, the senator?” he asked.

“Yes, he has proclaimed himself emperor and plans to exterminate us,” she said.

“And he has a detachment of the praetorian guard with him,” one of Sophia’s legionnaires said.

“Then we are doomed,” the commander said dejectedly.

“Not with the help of my friends and the Saddle Arabians,” I said.

“What could you possibly do against the most elite warriors in the empire?” he questioned.

“Well, if they are as good as you say they are, then they will underestimate us, and that will be their downfall,” I said.

“I never thought that being considered inferior would be an advantage,” the pegasus said, shaking his head.

He showed us the way, and our force was soon speeding towards the city.

As we neared the city, I sent up a magical flare, which was answered by another deep blue flare.

Luna and the Lunar guard that could fly all rushed out to meet us.

“Mixer, what are you doing with them?” Luna asked, her blades ready.

“I can explain once we get her some proper medical attention,” I said, indicating Sophia.

“Why can’t you explain now?” Trottson asked.

“Because, I don’t know all the details myself,” I replied.

“What do you know?” Luna asked.

“That there is a large number of extremely well trained pegasi on their way here, and they won’t hesitate to kill us,” I said.

“That sounds troubling,” Luna said.

“What happened while I was gone?” I asked, wondering where the rest of the force was.

“We took this city, and are using it as a base now, because of the extra defenses,” Luna said.

“Well, we will definitely need them,” I said.

We flew back to the city and I let Ivy take Sophia to be treated while I talked with Celestia and Luna about what I knew.

“Mixer, it’s good to see you back,” Celestia said as I entered what appeared to be a war room.

Gathered around a table were Celestia, Haakim, Malak, Alim, Soulless, and Spitfire.

“I wish that it were under better circumstances,” I said, stepping up to the table with Luna and Trottson.

“What do you mean?” Haakim asked.

“We need to work together with these pegasi, otherwise we’re going to be steamrolled by an army,” I said.

“Work with them?” Soulless questioned.

“Yes. From what I know, it appears that we stumbled onto a power struggle between the members of the triumvirate, the governing body of their empire. Sophia was going to consolidate power to make reform in the empire, but a senator beat her to it, and now he’s leading an army here to crush the remnants of the triumvirate forces, and probably us as well,” I explained.

“Then we have to do something,” Alim said.

“What would you propose we do?” Malak challenged.

“I say we just let these pegasi fight it out,” Alim retorted.

“And what if once their done, they come after us?” Soulless retorted.

“Then we will surely be able to take the weaker force,” he said.

“I don’t think you understand how well trained some of these soldiers are,” I said, shaking my head. “I was barely able to handle three praetorians, I don’t see us fighting a hundred of them, plus another legion of pegasi.”

“Could we not just reason with them?” Celestia asked.

“I don’t think Callidus is the talkative type,” I said.

“Then we must fight, if not for ourselves, than for the Saddle Arabians,” Luna said.

“But how? They have the advantage of flight,” Malak said.

“So do we,” I said.

“But the airship is out of rounds, and half of the royal guards that we brought were hurt in the initial fight,” Trottson said.

“We still have Vinyl’s bass cannons, and they don’t know about it,” I said.

“And I’m sure Silver and I can give these pegasi legionnaires some lessons in hit and run tactics,” Spitfire said.

“Haakim, how much spice do you think is in this city?” I asked.

“The market will surely have a large quantity,” he said.

“Trottson, you tell the Lunar guard to get the airship up in the air, the same with Vinyl. Soulless, tell Twilight and the other Element bearers to meet with Celestia for a briefing. Spitfire, you go get Silverwing and go talk to Sophia about commanding the pegasi. Alim, do you have what you need should we need a sand storm?” I asked.

“Yes, though it might take some time,” he replied.

“Good, then you get ready. Luna, tell Sombra to meet me in the market. Malak, get your people concealed outside the walls. Haakim, can you rally the citizens to fight?” I asked.

“Yes,” he said.

“Then I need every able bodied pony ready to fight. Which leaves you and me Celestia,” I finished.

“What are you planning?” she asked.

“Splitting the defence across the four gates, and using the ballistas on the walls to hit them before they can get to the gates,” I said.

“What’s you plan?” she asked.

I pointed to the map of the city.

“You and Luna go to the south gate, that’s where the most will probably attack from, and you and Luna are the most powerful. On the east gate, I will be stationed to hold that flank with Star Shine and Rose, while Sombra, Ivy and Brick take the west. Twilight and the others Elements will be stationed in the north gate, where the fighting will be at its weakest, and where they will be the most safe in numbers. Sophia is in no shape to fight, but her and Arax know the strategies of the enemy by heart, and can help the rest of the soldiers fight. Silverwing, Soulless, and Spitfire will be leading the aerial defense, and commanding in part the pegasi of the triumvirate,” I explained.

“What about the airships?” she asked.

“They will hang above the city, acting as rest points should the fighting pegasi need them. And Vinyl will be able to catch them off guard with the bass cannon,” I said.

“I hope you know what you’re doing,” she said.

“Since when have I ever know what I was doing,” I said jokingly, as I left the room.

I went to the market and I saw that citizens were bustling about gathering up large urns of spice.

I opened up one and my eyes started to water with the intensity.

“That’s the stuff,” I said, fanning the air in front of me.

“So what did you want to see me for?” Sombra asked walking up to me.

“I need you to go to the west gate and shor it up with crystals, and take Ivy and Brick with you, so they can get practice on the ballistas,” I said.

“What about you?” he asked.

“I’m going to try and make a bunch of spice bombs with what time we have,” I replied, searching for a suitable workbench.

I worked furiously, packing spice into casings around charges, churning out dozens of small spice bombs.

As I finished packing what had to be the hundredth one, I heard war horns from outside the walls.

I left the market, and flew on a crystal board to the east gate to prepare.

I could see roughly five hundred ponies standing on the road leading up to the gate, a few standards here and there amongst their ranks.

I looked to the north and south gates and saw that they had similar forces facing them.

I heard Vinyls voice come over the speakers as the south force stopped their march towards the city.

“Hey there! You ponies ready to rock?” her voice boomed, carrying across the city.

The pegasi seemed to shift around quizzically, before a blast from the bass cannon ripped into their line. This time however, Vinyl was staggering her shots, firing only one at a time, doubling the firing speed.

They suddenly realised that they were under attack, and the other legions started to charge towards the city, some taking to the air, but others keeping to the ground.

“Attack!” the cry echoed from defenders and attackers alike as ballista bolts and small pellets of metal flew from slings flew from the walls.

The pegasi that were helping us took off from where they had been either hiding or resting, and meet those that tried to fly over the walls and attack the defenders from behind.

I could see Silverwing’s squadron, clad in their silver flight suits, the Wonderbolts, their signature uniform, and Soulless, on his hover board, leading flights of pegasi as the fought for air dominance.

I could hear a series of thuds as spice bombs were detonated, stunning the ground forces with the irritating powder.

Then I heard a roar of flames from the north gate.

Alarmed, I sent an audio crystal over there to find out what happened.

“Twilight, what’s going on!?” I shouted.

I could hear her muttering in the background as Rarity tried to calm her down.

“What happened?!” I yelled.

“I, I threw a fireball at them, and they just exploded in a ball of fire,” Twilight said shakily.

“Twilight, I know that you’re not used to seeing ponies die, but right now, we need you to get a hold of yourself,” I said, trying to calm her down.

“But,” she protested.

“I know, it;s hard to deal with, but if you don’t regain control of yourself, more ponies will die,” I said.

“A-alright,” she said.

“Now, do you think you can do it again?” I asked.

“What!?” she questioned.

“It’s alright if you don’t want to, just keep fighting,” I said, disconnecting it and getting back to the pegasi on my gate.
The ones on the ground were still out of range, but the ones in the air moved too fast to hit, so I unloaded the bolt, and replaced it with a crystal.

I fired the ballista and split the crystal projectile into a trio of smaller spikes that took out a couple of pegasi.

Star Shine and Rose were also using crystals to try and take down the pegasi, but couldn’t split them like mine, so they met less success.

I heard more explosions as more spice bombs were dropped on the north side attackers, which were pushing closer to the wall, now reaching the concealed desert tribes and their scorpions.

I created an audio crystal and attuned it to the crystal in Soulless’ left wrist blade.

“Luna and Celestia need help, see if you can’t take some of the pressure off,” I said.

“Roger,” he replied.

I send another audio crystal over to Sombra to check his progress.

“How’s your side holding up?” I asked.

“Not good,” he said, before he was interrupted by a spear thrown his way. “They’re pushing closer, and we don’t have enough firepower to hold them back.”

I created another one and sent it up to the party blimp.

“Vinyl, can you send a shot Sombra’s way, he could use a little breathing room,” I called.

“Sure thing,” she said, followed by the sound of the music turning up.

Silverwing flew down next to me, hovering above the rampart.

“Mixer, the north side is having a rough time,” she said.

“Rose, take the ballista, I’m going to go help the north wall!” I called over to her and her brother.

I hurried over to the north gate on a crystal board and meet with Twilight and the others, now dealing with pegasi almost to the gate.

“What happened?” I asked as I started creating crystal spikes to fire on the pegasi below.

“We’re just not cut out for this,” Twilight cried, comforting Fluttershy.

“Get off the wall, go tell Alim to put up the sandstorm,” I ordered.

She nodded and the six of them rushed off the wall.

I heard a sound of rushing wind and turned to see that the party blimp had been pierced and was now slowly falling towards the south gate.

“Vinyl!” I cried, turning to rain down crystals on the advancing pegasi.
--

“Hold on!” Vinyl shouted as the airship neared the ground beyond the south gate.

Vinyl and Octavia were tossed from the control center and onto the deck when it finally crashed into the desert sands.

“Tavi, you alright,” Vinyl coughed, picking herself up off the deck.

Octavia gave a little groan before replying, “I think I’m alright.”

“Well, get on the Mobile Party, we have to get back to the city,” Vinyl said, jumping up onto the platform, powering up the mech.

Octavia grabbed her cello and jumped on the mech as it stood up.

“Vinyl, I think the sandstorm’s coming,” Octavia said as she saw the sands begin to swirl.

“We’ll make it,” Vinyl assured her, steering the mech towards the south gate.
--

I left the wall when the sandstorm whipped up and headed towards the palace to regroup with the others.

“What happened to Vinyl and Octavia?” I asked Luna and Celestia.

“We saw their airship go down outside the wall before the sandstorm started,” Luna said.

“I’m sorry,” Celestia said.

“I’ll make them pay for that,” I said, holding back tears.

Just then the door flew open and a sandy Vinyl Scratch and Octavia walked in.

“Did we miss anything?” Vinyl asked, knocking some sand out of her ear.

“You’re alright,” I cried happily.

“It’ll take more than that to stop us,” Vinyl said.

“Now that that reunion is over, can we get back to the matter at hand?” Arax snorted, supported by Sophia, who’s shoulder and wing were bandaged.

“Arax is right, they might be off us for now, but they will no doubt be waiting to strike as soon as the sandstorm lifts,” Sophia said.

Well, we lost the party blimp, so there goes that,” I said.

“Actually, we brought the Mobile Party with us,” Vinyl said.

“Good, that gives us a little advantage,” I said.

“But, we’re all out of spice bombs,” Soulless said.

“And we’re really drained,” Star Shine and Rose said.

“It looks like we dodged a bullet only to get nailed on round two,” Vinyl said.

“Not so fast, we still have the city,” Haakim said.

“And these ponies are ready to fight to the death,” Malak said.

“Ok, so strategy time,” Soulless said.

“Well, the defence will be on the same premiss as last time, except without the spice bombs and the bass cannon having a full view of the battlefield,” I said.

“But what about when they break through,” Arax questioned.

If they break through,” I corrected.

“No, they will break through on their next assault,” he said.

“Hmm,” I pondered.

“Haakim, have whatever urns of spice we have be moved to these positions,” I said, indicating a few street corners and choke points.

“Right,” he nodded.

“Oh, and put some in jars and give them to ponies the the buildings along the main street leading to the palace,” I called after him.

“What are those for?” Sophia asked.

“We can use the spice to slow down their advance, and it can also be used as a weapon when ignited,” I explained.

I could see Twilight shiver when I mentioned the flammability of the spice.

“Don’t worry Twilight, you and the other bearers will stay here if the fighting gets through the gates,” I said to her, trying to give her some comfort.

“If they break through the gates, we need to keep them from flying around freely,” I said.

“We can handle that,” Spitfire said.

“Malak, do you think that your people can lie in wait in the sandstorm?” I asked.

“Yes, but our number is starting to dwindle, and we only have six scorpions left,” he said.

“Hmm, maybe it would prove useful to bluff them out,” Arax said.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“If you were to allow a gate to fall, then they will cluster around that gate to make a beach head, and then they will be on your playing field,” he said.

“But which one?” I asked.

“I would say the south gate, since the other gates had the easier time defending before, they would not take it as a bluff and would suspect nothing,” he said.

“So Celestia and Luna, looks like you will be the welcoming committee,” I said.

“We shall put on a good show,” Luna said.

“We still have to hold the other gates until the south gate falls,” Sophia said.

“I will return to the east, Sombra Ivy and Brick will take the west. Vinyl, you take the mobile Party and go to the north gate,” I said.

“We’ll rock their socks off,” she said.

“When the gate falls, I want all the Lunar guard to be there, to support Celestia and Luna,” I said to Trottson who was sitting off to the side.

“If we split their attack down these three avenues,” I said, indicating the main road, and two streets that went along the perimeter of the walls, “Then they will be unable to fight effectively.”

“Especially with the narrow streets to get rid of the number advantage,” Sophia said.

“I just hope that the praetorians don’t show up,” Arax said.

“I’m sure they will,” Sophia said.

“Then gods help us,” he sighed.

We spent the next hour preparing for what would be the decisive battle for our fates.

After our preparations, Alim told us that it would lift soon, and that we should be ready.

The sandstorm started to falter and the whirling sands slowly started to settle, until we could see the ranks of pegasi standing on the roads.

As soon as the sandstorm was gone, they attacked.

I fired at them, but all of the forces on my side took to the air.

I was worried that the plan might fail, until a beam of sound swept half of the force out of the sky.

I sent a silent thanks to Vinyl as the desert tribe ponies started finishing off the ponies that fell from the sky.

The rest were left to me and Star Shine on the other ballista.

On the south side, the pegasi were at the gate, preparing to fly over it and open the great portal.

When they finally did, the call went up, “They have breached the gates!”

I rushed off the wall when I saw that the force was heading towards the south gate.

I ran towards the central avenue where Sombra and Haakim were waiting for me.

“Let us make haste to the fighting,” Haakim said.

Malak came shortly with two scorpion rider in toe.

“We shall not let them pass,” he said.

At the south gate, Luna and Celestia went down the street leading towards the east gate, while Ivy had been split off and was fighting alongside Saddle Arabians retreating towards the west gate.

Haakim went from the center avenue, through the back alleys and met up with Ivy, and helped the ponies to rally against the oncoming soldiers.

In the air, pegasi were fighting it out to keep the enemy as low to the ground as possible.

Down the main avenue, a line of soldiers with shields started to advance on us.

When then got close enough to an urn, I used my magic to flip the lid open, and a pony in a second story window through a lit torch at it.

The resulting explosion took out a few of them, and startled the rest, so that they stopped.

We kept our distance, pelting them with spears and crystals as they recovered.

They didn’t take many hits as they had shields, but a few of them took hits, and the line started to move more cautiously than before.

As they reached what would be called the halfway point, they met with us.

Brick had joined us and tossed an urn in the air.

I detonated it, sending smoldering powder all over the front lines.

They shouted as their eyes and noses were burned by the spice.

Just then, a cheer went up from the pegasi, and the ranks started retreating.

My eyes went wide as I saw the reason for this change.

The whole detachment of praetorians had marched through the gate and were now on their way down the main avenue.

A number of jars flew out of windows at the fleeing pegasi, leaving a nice line of spice of the ground crossing the road.

I grabbed a torch and lit it, throwing it at the line, creating a wall of fire between us and the praetorians.

Cries of dread went up when they just strode through the flames, their armor protecting them from the lapping fire.

“Fall back!” I cried.

As we fell back, the two scorpion riders charged forward, hoping to take glory by killing these ponies.

The first reached the line, and his mount grabbed one from the ranks and tossed him to the side, the armored pony banging against the wall of a building, armor slightly crumpled.

The second tried to crush another, but the praetorian was ready, and stopped the claw from crushing him.

Another jumped up, with the help of his wings, and jabbed a spear at the rider.

The pony cried in pain as the spear went right through his robes.

The scorpion got revenge on the praetorian by stabbing through his armor with its stinger.

The second rider met with a similar fate, and soon both scorpions were dead as well, their hard carapaces pierced by many a sword and spear.

When we reached the end of the avenue before a large open space in front of the palace, I detonated one last urn before putting up a spiked barrier of crystal.

“I hope that will hold them,” Brick said.

“I do too,” I said.
--

Ivy and Haakim were being flanked, the pegasi taking the back streets to get around them, and now they were trapped in between two lines of pegasi, slowly having the life squeezed out of their force.

“Haakim, we have to try and get away,” Ivy said.

“And leave these ponies behind? Never,” he said, slashing at another pegasus.

Soulless landed near them and cleared out a few pegasi before going over to them.

“I’m going to get you two out of here,” he said.

“No, take her, but I’m staying,” Haakim said.

Soulless gave out a sigh, then teleported himself and Ivy to where Sombra and I were.

“Mixer, Haakim is trapped on the west side. We have to help him,” Ivy pleaded.

“Haakim will fight to the last stallion if he has to,” Malak said.

“Fine, Malak, you go and bail him out,” I said.

“And the princesses need help or else they will be in the same situation,” Soulless said.

“Help them out then, and take Brick,” I said.

He nodded and teleported Brick over to the east side.

“Looks like it’s just you and me” I said to Sombra.

“Looks like we have company,” he said as five praetorians trundled through the air over the barrier.

Sombra and I both fired crystal spikes at the pegasi and they took them with their shield, making them useless, but saving their hides.

“Sombra, make your crystals stick to them, and grow them out, they won’t be able to move as much,” I said.

We started to cover the praetorians with cumbersome crystals, but more were coming over the barrier, and they were engaging in combat while Sombra and I were busy with the first ones over.

Soon, it was a heated battle as Sombra and I, along with a few Saddle Arabians and desert ponies, fought against the juggernauts.

Soon, we saw the other forces as they made fighting retreats towards the palace.

Sombra and I were having a hard time as the other fighters with us were cut down.

Soon, it was just me and him, backed up to the door of the palace.

Luna came flying like an arrow, and cut down a praetorian from the side, joining us in our defence.
Celestia also fired blots of magic at them, scorching their armor and staggering them.

Suddenly an urn came flying from one of the windows and landed on one of the pretorians, covering him and a few of his companions with spice.

Soulless ignited them and they took like dry grass, their armor cooking them.

Soon, the Lunar guard had joined us and we expanded our circle around the door, crowding together.

“Everypony inside!” I called, and Sombra and I created a crystal barrier that covered the entry as we piled inside.

“What now?” Soulless asked.

“Brick, Ivy, get ready to knock over some of these pillars. The rest of you, fall back to the throne room,” I said.

Soulless disappeared while I was giving orders, but I figured he had his own plan.

“They are going to try and come in through the upper levels,” Arax said to one of the soldiers inside.

“Take any spice we have left over and put it upstairs,” Sophia said.

“How long do you think before they break through?” I asked.

“Not long,” Arax said.

There was an explosion that rocked the building.

“Damn, they’re already inside,” Arax swore.
--

Soulless was trying to use the soul in his blade to do something, anything that could help defeat the praetorians.

He tried forms of magic on it, but nothing seemed to work.

He was desperate when the floor above him shook with an explosion.

As he started to hear hoofsteps in the hallway, he finally activated it, and a glowing orange blade extended from his hidden blade, like an extension.

The glowing blade was the same length as a regular longsword.

Two pegasi burst in the door and he turned around to face them.

He turned around to face them.

He swung his blade at them and both pur up their shields in defence.

Much to the surprise of Soulless, and the pegasi, his blade went right through the shields, indeed, right through the pegasi themselves, but they slumped lifelessly to the floor as the blade swept through them.

“H-he’s a demon!” a third pegasus that had come to join the fighting cried as he ran in terror.

“Hmm, that’s new,” Soulless said, examining the blade.

“Think I’ll call it the soul cutter,” he mused, as it seemed to cleave the ponies very souls.

He put on a murderous grin as he dashed out into the hallway.
--

The praetorians had lost three to the first pillar, but they weren’t falling for it again, and we had to start fighting them in the hall.

While Sombra, Luna and I held our ground, the Lunar guard slowly became overcome by the praetorians, sustaining heavy wounds.

They appeared to be trying to take them alive though, as they simply held down the ones that could no longer fight.

We were being pushed back to where Celesta was protecting Twilight, her friends, and Arax and Sophia.

Of the three of us, Luna was the first to falter.

Her strength ebbing, she could no longer use her magic, and the two blades she had dropped harmlessly to the ground.

Two praetorians closed in on her, but Sombra and I were at her side, fending them off.

I was next to falter, my reserves finally running out, I failed to block the full force of a sword, and went down on the ground.

Sombra and Luna backed towards Celestia, the Princess of the sun spreading her wings protectively over the mane six.

Sombra was fighting fiercely, but he could not hold them all off by himself, and he too fell.

Celestia stepped forward to protect her sister, but Luna jumped through the air and grabbed her crescent blade, fighting like a pony possessed, trying to take as many as she could.

Finally, her strength gave out and Celestia was left standing in front of the mane six.

“Twilight, take the Elements and get out of here,” Celestia said.

“No princess,” Twilight said, enveloping her teacher in a teleportation spell.

There was a flash and then Celestia was gone.

They were advancing on the helpless mares when cries and screams came from a stairwell off to the right.

Then as suddenly as they began, the screaming stopped.

Soulless slowly made his way down the stairs, tossing aside a dead pegasus soldier.

“Sorry it took so long,” he said, before teleporting into the praetorians’ midst and started swinging his glowing orange blade.

Every swing took out two pretorians as he swung his blade in wide arcs.

Soon, there were only ten left, but the made a pathway for a pony in splendid golden armor, with a greatsword on his back.

“Well, well, well, this is a surprise,” he said, looking at all the dead praetorians.

"You’re next,” Soulless said.

The pegasus let out a laugh, “You think you can kill me?” he questioned, drawing his large blade. “Then, come try.”

Soulless charged at the pegasus, but as he went to swing the blade, it flickered and died, leaving him swinging through air.

“Buck!” he swore, as the pegasus brought the pommel of his sword against Soulless’ face, knocking him out.

He went through the wounded ponies and knocked them out as well.