• Published 17th Feb 2013
  • 1,313 Views, 68 Comments

The Mixer Chronicles - Mixer



A stranger in Equestria, Mixer tries to to make the best of his new life.

  • ...
6
 68
 1,313

New Beginnings

Book Seven: New Beginnings

A few days after Shining Armor and Princess Cadence were married I was summoned to the Castle by Princess Celestia herself. She had sent a scroll that instructed me to conclude any business I had for the day and report to the throne room as soon as I was able.

I wasn’t having a particularly busy day so I just closed up my shop and made my way towards the castle. I didn’t want to make the Princess wait, especially not since it was all but an order.

As I neared the castle, I saw that there were more guards than usual; not surprising considering that Equestria just came off of a short lived changeling occupation.

I walked up to the guards near the gates, holding the rolled up scroll with magic. “The Princess requested my presence?”

One nodded, “Yes, she has been expecting you.”

The other opened the door for me and I stepped inside the castle, crossing the foyer towards the throne room’s large double doors. Two more guards were posted outside those but I didn’t need to ask them for entry, they were already moving to open the doors.

I glanced at them a little nervously as they closed the doors behind me and followed on either side. I was not expecting and escort but, as before, I could not fault the extra security.

I stopped in front of Celestia’s golden throne and bowed. “You wished to see me, Princess?”

She gave me a smile and motioned for the guards to give me some more space. They complied and took a few paces back, giving me ample space. “I’m glad you were able to come so quickly, Mixer,” she said, looking down from her throne.

Bowed my head to her. “I came as quickly as I could, Princess, as per your request.”

She got up and made her way down the stairs leading to the throne and motioned for me to follow her. “Would you care to take a walk with me?”

If being the king’s royal alchemist had taught me anything about royalty it was when they asked a question like that complying wasn’t optional. I walked over to her and followed as she began to walk the halls of the castle. I kept a reasonable distance between us, being too familiar might not make the guards too happy, and I preferred not to get mistaken for a changeling spy.

“Twilight has told me that you were instrumental in helping to free Equestria from the changelings, yet you have claimed no such involvement. Why?”

The question caught me off guard. I hesitated for a second before finally speaking, “I wouldn’t say instrumental... I mean, the Elements of Harmony did most of the work. Well, them and Discord. How is that situation going by the way?”

She closed her eyes and gave a sly smile, “I know that you’re trying to deflect the question.”

I sighed. I guess that it’s pretty hard to slip anything past an alicorn. “I suppose that without me, Twilight may have been the only one to awaken, and I doubt she could have gotten away on her own,” I said.

“She also said that it was your idea to get the help of a dragon.”

I was starting to turn red. I really didn’t want to be grilled about my crazy, reckless, desperate plan, especially by the Princess. “Y-yes... and Discord...”

At this point in our walk we were passing by the gardens and the princess stopped. “So you thought it was a good idea to recruit a fire-breathing dragon and release the embodiment of all chaos?” The question did not seem particularly reproachful, but her tone was serious.

I hung my head, “No, Princess... if I had thought it through I would not had taken so many risks. I’m sorry.”

She let out a slight giggle, “For what? If it weren’t for you then we might all be in pods right now.”

Now I could have sworn that my coat had shifted from blue to red. “I really don’t deserve such praise, Princess. I was just a desperate pony trying to protect his friends and home. My plan was beyond harebrained and it only worked by sheer luck.”

“You should not be so hard on yourself,” she said placing a wing on my shoulder. “What you did was heroic for a pony of Equestria, let alone somepony from another land. You have a different perspective about things than us. Discord for example.”

I rubbed my neck in embarrassment. “Oh, I don’t think my view is that different. I just thought that he could be helpful. Fight fire with fire, or rather, with chaos. From what I knew of Discord, the changelings would be as much as a bother for him as for us. It was mutually beneficial. That’s how most of the ponies in my homeland do things.”

Celestia smiled and resumed walking. “That seems very wise.”

I hesitated a moment to look out over the gardens before following. “It doesn’t always work out for everypony, but it keeps everything in general balance.”

“Speaking of your homeland, have you gotten any closer on finding a way back?”

I shook my head, “No, I haven’t. It has been far too long for me to trace the magic that sent me here and I still have no idea where in relation to Equestria it is.”

She turned a corner and began heading for a wing of the castle that I had not been in before. “You mentioned before that you were desperate to protect your home. Do you consider Equestria your home now?”

This was a hard question. While I did have more friends and free time, I still had a duty to perform back in New Pegisopolis. That is, if they even thought I was alive. After being gone for a few months I had my doubts that anypony would still even consider the possibility of my being alive.

“Are you alright?”

The question brought me back from my thoughts and I noticed that my eyes had begun to water. “I’m fine, Princess, it’s nothing. And... yes, I do think of Equestria as home now. It has been months since I was sent here, so I doubt anypony back in New Pegisopolis even thinks I’m alive.” I tried to put on a smile, but I don’t think that she was convinced.

“Then would you like an opportunity to protect your new home further?” she asked, stopping to face me fully.

I stopped and almost fell back onto my haunches. “What do you mean, Princess?”

“You showed admirable ability not only to think on your hooves but a great determination in the face of adversity,” she said. “If you wish, in time you may have a position as a guard.”

I was flummoxed. “I... A guard?” My mouth hung open even after the words stopped coming out of it.

She nodded, “You would need to undergo some physical training, but as far as I am concerned you are otherwise qualified.”

After a minute I was finally able to reactivate my jaw muscles and close my mouth. “I... I would be honored, but-”

“Then I would like you to assist Shining Armor’s replacement while he is on honeymoon with Princess Cadence,” she said, ignoring my protest.

“What about my shop?” I asked. I did still have a business to run.

“I have heard that a new alchemist is moving to Canterlot. You could sell your shop to him. I’m sure he would appreciate it.”

“Am I to begin immediately?” I asked.

“You do not. You may have two days to conclude any business you have and prepare for the position. You will be here for about a month.”

“I will get everything in order then.”

She smiled, “I am glad that you are willing to take the position.”

“Thank you for offering it to me, Princess,” I said with a bow.

She said no more and we completed our walk, arriving back in the throne room.

“Is there anything else you wished of me?” I asked.

“That is all, you may go.”

I bowed and took my leave, walking out of the throne room.

I could still barely comprehend what had gone on, but my hooves knew enough to keep moving. Princess Celestia had personally praised me. An alicorn had praised me. I don’t think that there’s any higher praise than that. On top of the praise, she had offered me a position as a guard. And I actually accepted.

Before I had realized it, I was outside the castle. I turned and began walking towards my shop, trying to think of everything that I would have to do to get ready. I was skeptical that I would be able to do so in just two days.

I went inside and rummaged around in the back until I found what I was looking for, a chest with my earnings up to that point. It wasn’t very large, but it was fairly secure. I pulled it out and set it in a corner. If I really was selling the shop then I would need to take it to Ponyville to store in my house there.

As I was gathering other things to take, my thoughts wandered to my friends in Ponyville, particularly Fluttershy. The night of the wedding was something that I wanted to continue, but I wasn’t sure if I could as a guard. Usually relationships don’t do well long distance, and I’m sure you could barely call what was between us a relationship to begin with.

After about an hour I had everything in the shop just about ready to go. Just as I was preparing to walk out the door, I heard a knock.

“Sorry, we’re closed, soon to be under new ownership,” I called.

Whoever was there knocked again, harder this time.

I sighed and went to the door, opening it a crack so I could see who was there.

To my surprise, a slate grey pegasus with a crimson red mane wearing a green beret and goggles was standing outside.

“Hello! You must be Mixer,” he said with a smile.

“Yes... do I know you?”

“Not at all.”

“Okay... what are you doing here?” This stallion didn’t seem all there.

“I was told that there was an alchemist’s shop for sale.”

I facehoofed and opened the door. “Come on in, I just finished packing things up. I left some supplies in the back. Don’t worry, all the volatile stuff is stored safely.”

He stepped inside, took a look around the shop then walked back out the door.

“Hey, where are you-”

He came back lugging a suitcase behind him. “I’m Runic Phial by the way.”

“Nice to meet you...”

“You’re an alchemist right?”

“Yes, I’m the one who’s selling the place.”

“Want to see some rocks?”

“Rocks?” Now I was sure he was not all there.

“Yes, I thought you would be interested,” he said, pulling out a box.

“Sure?” I said wearily.

He grinned and opened up the box, showing me an assortment of stones with little tags by them.

“You’re an alchemist, right?” I asked, looking at the assortment.

He nodded his head, “Yes.”

“If I didn’t know any better, I would say you were a geologist.”

“Yes! How did you know? Are you a geologist too?” he asked, now suddenly more interested in me.

“No, I specialize in chemicals, not rocks.”

His smile dimmed at my answer, but he did not seem too put off. “Oh well.”

He closed up the box and started to unpack things from the suitcase.

“If I may ask, who told you that an alchemist’s shop would be for sale? And how you knew it was here?” I asked.

“I got a letter. My cousin sent it.”

“And who is your cousin?”

He waved a hoof absently as he went about unpacking, “You probably wouldn’t know him, he works in the castle.”

I shook my head and gave up, this was getting me nowhere. “So, you want to buy the place?”

“Yes. Do you accept trade?”

“Trade?”

“Yes, you see, I’m a bit short on bits, but I have other things to trade.”

He pulled out another box and opened it. It was full of more rocks.

“You know what, I think I have enough bits, you can have the place,” I said, not wanting to sell for rocks or turn down the strange pony.

He turned around to face me, “Really?”

I shrugged. “Sure, from one alchemist to another.”

He didn’t reply, he only locked me in an increasingly tight hug. “Thank you!”

“No... problem...” I wheezed. I could have sworn that his hug had broken a rib.

He finally let go and I staggered backwards. “Stop by sometime and I’ll give you any potion you want, on the house.”

“Sure,” I said, heading for the door. I never did go back for that free potion.

After leaving my old shop and the strange stallion behind, I headed for the train station with saddlebags full of things I didn’t want to leave and carrying the small chest of bits on my back. The whole load was pretty heavy but it was bearable.

After a few minutes of walking and more than a few intrigued glances I made it to the Canterlot train station and got in line at the ticket booth. I set down the chest on the ground and took a breather, not much chance of anypony stealing it.

After an unusually long wait in line I purchased my ticket and checked when the next train would be arriving bound for Ponyville. The train schedule said that the next train would arrive at 1:15. I looked at the clock: 12:02. I heaved a heavy sigh, I had hoped that the wait for a train would be short, but I had missed the 11:50 train.

And so I found a bench and I did all that I could, wait...and wait...and wait. If there is one thing that I hate more than anything, it was mean ponies. Waiting came in at a very close second, and after waiting around in the train station for about an hour, I considered moving it up to the top spot.

I checked the station’s clock after finishing counting the tiles on the ceiling for the third time and was relieved to see that the clock read 1:06. I got up and stretched my legs, they had gotten quite stiff. After a few minutes the train finally arrived and I happily trotted to the boarding area, overjoyed to finally be on my way.

The train ride seemed incredibly quick after the hour long wait, even though it was about forty minutes to Ponyville. I used the time to take a quick nap.

I awoke to somepony shaking me, “Hey sleepyhead, the train’s in Ponyville.”

“Huh?” I recognized that voice...

“What are you doing back in town, Mixer?” asked the unicorn DJ Vinyl Scratch.

I gave my head a shake, “Vinyl? I didn’t know you were on the train.”

“Heh, I was a couple cars back. I was on my way back after a little tour. What are you up to?”

I got up and pulled the chest out of the seat beside me. “Well, a lot, really. Can we walk and talk?”

“Sure,” she said, “Need some help with that? Looks heavy.”

“I’ve got it”

We made our way off the train and started to walk through Ponyville. It seemed more colorful than I remembered it.

“It’s been a while since you’ve been in town,” Vinyl said.

“Well, I’m going through a job change and I have a couple days before I start so I figured I’d come back home, say hi to some friends.”

“Yeah, I got you.”

“I’m surprised you remember me at all, it’s not like we’re great friends or anything.”

“Nah, it’s cool. It’s a small place, so I know pretty much everypony.” She laughed, “You’re one of the few ponies who doesn’t complain about the volume.”

I chuckled, “Well, if I can hear it from my place, it’s probably too loud.”

“You could hear my music from all the way out there?” she asked, a little surprised.

“Once or twice.”

“Booya!” she cheered, hoof pumping. “I told Tavi those speakers were the bomb.”

I shook my head, “How do you still have hearing?”

“Headphones,” she deadpanned.

I looked at her skeptically.

She gave me a light punch, “Kidding. I use a spell to keep our eardrums from popping.”

“I didn’t know you knew that much magic,” I said, surprised.

“Was that a compliment?”

“Sorry, I meant I didn’t know that you could use that level of magic.”

She got really close to me, uncomfortably close. “There’s probably a lot you don’t know about me...” said said in a soft sultry voice.

I instantly felt my cheeks and ears burning.

She broke out laughing, “You should see your face!”

I didn’t say anything, my look said it all.

“Relax Mix man, I was just joking. Besides, you’re not really my type.”

At that point we were at her and Octavia’s place. “Well, I’m going to go say hi to Octavia,” she said, heading for the door. “See ya around.”

“Yeah, you too,” I said, waving to the party mare.

I continued to walk home, a tinge of red still lingering on my face from Vinyls' jest. I’m sure Fluttershy wouldn’t have been happy to see that.

My paced slowed a bit as I thought about Fluttershy. I wanted to have something between us, but I wasn’t sure that I could have what I wanted. There wasn’t really a lot we had in common; she liked animals, but I wasn’t the best with them; I was a unicorn and she was a pegasus so I couldn’t share flying with her and she couldn’t really share magic with me; she was shy and I tended to be more bold. It wasn’t an “opposites attract” or that we were really alike, I just knew that I had feelings for her and she had at least some feelings for me as well.

Before I knew it I was at my house. My idle thoughts had carried me halfway across Ponyville. I shook my head to clear my mind. I could talk to her about it later. At the time I needed to store my bits and make some arrangements to have somepony look after the place.

The place wasn’t overgrown, but the outside definitely looked unkempt. The grass was long and there were sticks and twigs laying around. When I went inside, it was almost as bad. While things were generally neat, just the way I’d left them, a fine layer of dust was covering everything and a few cobwebs were hanging in the corners.

I dragged my chest upstairs and went into my bedroom. It looked the same as when I left it. I felt like it was such a long time ago that I had moved to Canterlot. As I put the chest down at the foot of the bed I realized how much I missed my friends. I guess it’s true what they say, you don’t know what you have until it’s gone.

I went to the closet and pulled out out a broom and a duster and began to clean up my house. It was an uphill battle, but after battling dust bunnies for a good two hours I had finally gotten all the rooms in my house clean.

I sat down on the couch and took a minute to admire my work. As I sat I also thought about who I would ask to look after the place. Then I had an idea. I could just have Vinyl and Octavia look after the place. Vinyl could have parties and crash for the night and Octavia could practice her cello in a nice quiet spot.

After taking a few more minutes to rest, I got up and headed for the door; I needed to talk to Fluttershy about us. I did not think it would end well.

Author's Note:

Runic Phial belongs to Runic Phial