• Published 17th Feb 2013
  • 1,312 Views, 68 Comments

The Mixer Chronicles - Mixer



A stranger in Equestria, Mixer tries to to make the best of his new life.

  • ...
6
 68
 1,312

The Fall

The Mixer Chronicles

Book Twenty Nine:
The Fall

It was the third day of our captivity, and some of us had become quite popular with the crowds.

Brick was now known as “The Manticore”, and Sombra was one of the most celebrated fighters in the arena.

I had fought in a free for all the previous day, along with Sophia, against a large group of gladiators, but we came out triumphant.

Star Shine and Rose were probably the weakest team, but “The Gemini Twins” as they had been dubbed, had narrowly won all their fights.

Ivy was healing, but she still couldn’t move much.
the others were doing well also, but today, I was going to be in a three way fight, against Cleaver and a new challenger.

I had become friends with Cleaver the past day, having talked with the stallion for an extended period of time.

I didn’t like the thought that I would have to fight him, but I wouldn’t let that stop me.

“Fillies and gentlecolts, today we have Cleaver, Midnight’s Edge, and the Crystal Chameleon, Mixer!” the announcer bellowed.

I had gotten that moniker from changing my fighting style on the fly, adapting to each opponent.

The other combatant was a unicorn, clad in light armor, with a helmet that covered his face. He had two blades, and looked to be a little smaller than most ponies.

Cleaver was a great contrast to him, clad in heavy armor, carrying a large blade and tower shield.

“Hm, haven’t seen you before,” Cleaver said to the helmeted pony.

He didn’t reply, only readied to fight.

“What’s wrong, can’t talk?” Cleaver questioned.

The helmed unicorn didn't answer, but this time, he took a swing at Cleaver with his twin blades.

Cleaver blocked with his shield, sending the blades clanging off.

“Now that’s not very nice,” he complained bringing his sword down at the foe.

He dodged backwards, easily avoiding the large blade.

I had created a short sword while they started and I took the moment to dash in at the new gladiator.

He was quick though, and brought up one of his blades and parried my attack.

Cleaver took the opportunity to swing at me and swept his blade in a wide arc, hoping to catch at least one of us.

I ducked and rolled, while the helmed unicorn teleported backwards.

“Oh come on, that’s hardly fair,” Cleaver complained.

“All’s fair in love and war,” I retorted, taking a swing at him with a newly elongated blade.

He used his blade to deflect the attack, while the other unicorn came up from behind me.

I let go of my blade and swung it around with magic, causing my other opponent to jump into the air to avoid the swing at his legs.

I had to fall to the ground to avoid Cleaver’s elbow swinging at my head.

I heard the clang of metal on metal as our helmed foe used his aerial momentum to add to the force of his blow.

Cleaver stumbled away from me, giving me a chance to get back on my hooves and make another blade, this one shorter than the first.

The helmed pony was holding his own against Cleaver, but couldn’t quite get a solid hit past that big shield.

I took my two blades and charged at the battling pair, swinging at the helmed pony’s unprotected back.

He heard me coming and sidestepped me, sending me crashing into Cleaver, and sending both of us to the ground.

Cleaver pushed me off of him, and tried to grab his sword, but our opponent used magic to toss the blade out of reach.

He came down on Cleaver, trying to cut at the straps holding the armor together.

He managed to hit one of the straps and Cleaver’s breastplate sagged to the side, only covering a portion of his chest.

I grabbed my blades and swept them upwards at the unicorn, giving Cleaver a chance to throw him off.

“Thanks,” Cleaver said.

“Don’t thank me,” I said, reversing the swing downwards towards him.

He brought his shield up to his chest and my blades bit into it.

He pushed me off of him, using his shield as a ram, and got back up.

I was growing tired of getting in close, so I dropped my short blade and made my longer blade separate.

They had called it a whip blade, and it was a pretty accurate description.

I swung the hilt and the blade pieces followed a wide arc, lashing out a Cleaver.

He brought up his shield and blocked the blade, which slid harmlessly off.

“Princess, how did he remember all this stuff to write it down?” a young filly asked, interrupting Celestia ah she read.

She lowered the book to look at the small group of fillies and colts that sat around her.

“Some ponies have a gift for remembering almost everything, right down to the last detail,” she said.

“Can you remember that much detail?” a colt asked.

“Yes, I can remember things with quite clarity,” she replied.

“Wow... I wish I could remember stuff like that,” a filly piped up.

“Don’t worry, as you get older you’ll remember more,” she said to the little filly.

“Um, can we get back to the story? It was kind of getting exciting,” a colt asked.

Celestia gave a little chuckle, “Yes, we can. Now where were we...”

The other gladiator charged from the other direction as I continued to swipe at Cleaver’s shield.

Cleaver readied to swing his free hoof at the charging opponent, but he went right past Cleaver, and straight at me.

I pulled back on the hilt, and the whip blade came back towards me, wrapping around the charging pony’s neck like a collar.

He almost fell backwards when it pulled him away from me, and I could see his surprise when I lifted him up.

I made the hilt grow a solid blade and readied to pull him towards me.

“Wait!” He said, struggling at the collar of crystal around his neck.

“Wait... that voice...” I said, hesitating.

I noticed that the crowd had gone quiet, and I turned my head to see the Calidus ready to give his verdict.

Apparently he had enjoyed it as much as the crowd had, for he gave the sign for mercy, and I dropped the helmed pony.

I moved over and picked him up off the ground.

“What are you doing here? I hissed.

“Trying to save your sorry flank! I’ve been trying to get into this coliseum for two days to tell you the plan,” he snorted. “And how do I get repaid? You try to kill me!”

“Listen, we don’t have time right now,” I said turning away towards the gate I had come out of, “If we talk too long, they’ll suspect something.”

He left towards his gate, while I returned to mine.

When I returned to my cell, I was restless.

I couldn’t bear to wait to hear what this plan was, but somepony would have to be put in a match with him for him to be able to convey it.

It was another two days before I was put in with him, but this wasn’t any normal match.

It appeared that Calidus was getting tired of our success, so he was pitting two teams, both composed of Equestrians, into the arena.

One team was lead by Sombra, and the other was lead by myself.

Sombra had Soulless, Star Shine and Rose, Cleaver and Mattock, and the Wonderbolts that had been captured. I had Sophia, Trottson, Phalanx, Thunderlane, Haakim, and Silverwing and her squad.

It was “The match of the century” for the crowd, but it would also be many of our last.

As the two teams entered the arena we were met by thunderous applause.

“Today we have for you a very special match!” The announcer began, “For today, we see some of the fiercest gladiators in the arena face off in a battle royal!”

Calidus then stepped up to make his own announcement.

“This fight is one for your lives. Whichever team is left standing will be offered freedom,” he announced. “I think you can already guess what happens to the team that loses...”

He smirked as he signaled for the fight to begin, and the two teams moved to “fight”.

If there was one thing we had learned from the arena fights, it was how to fake a fight.

To the average onlooker, it appeared as if we were trying to kill each other, swords, axes, maces, and other weapons swinging and thrusting at one another, when in reality, all we were doing was stalling for time.

I was locked in combat with Sombra while he told me the plan that Soulless had come up with.

“Vinyl and Octavia are posing as guards,” he said as he blocked a swing.

“So that’s why Soulless was so confident,” I said parrying a thrust.

“Yes, all we need to do is stall until the barrier goes down,” he said, trying to trip me.

“And then it’s time to take some revenge,” I said, jumping over his sweeping hoof and taking a swing at him.

Sophia came from somewhere behind me and blocked both our blades as we were about to lock them together again.

“Mind if I join this dance?” she asked.

“Not at all,” I said, pulling back as one of her back hooves darted out to kick me.

“We were just discussing the plan,” Sombra said, blocking her blade.

“So, what is it?” She asked, whirling around to face me.

“We wait till the barrier goes down, then we strike,” I said, pulling her towards me, away from a swing from Sombra.

“Is that all?” she asked.

“Pretty much,” I said, twirling her behind me so that I could face Sombra again. “Spread the word,” I called over my shoulder.

Sombra and I continued to spar until Cleaver and Trottson came crashing between us, and we looked for others.

I rejoined Sophia close to the wall where She had squared up with Star Shine and Rose.

“How’s it going?” I asked as I shoved Star Shine aside to stand next to Sophia.

“We’ve been better,” Star said, swinging his trident at me.

“Sorry, but we’ve just got to hold out for Vinyl and Octavia,” I said, batting it away.

“What if they get caught?” Rose asked, taking a swing with some odd punching weapon.

“Don’t say that,” Sophia said, catching the slow swing.

Star used his net to wrap both their hooves up and tugged on them.

“Sorry, but we’re not in the best spirits,” he said, bringing the haft of his trident up towards her head.

I noticed it immediately when the barrier went down. It was like a blanket had been lifted off me as I felt the warmth of the sunlight.

The crowd wasn’t as pleased, as they soon began to panic and flee from the stands.

Since Sophia and I were close to the wall, I lifted her and myself up to the top of the wall with a crystal pillar, and was fortunate enough to be right in front of the emperor’s box.

Calidus was already running by the time we stepped off the pillar and into the booth. We were faced with two praetorians.

They brandished their halberds at us, but they didn’t stand a chance against my whip blade.

I wrapped it around the first’s legs and pulled him to the ground for Sophia to finish off while I immobilized the other by wrapping the blade around him and fusing the crystals to his armor.

When Sophia got up off the first one, she was standing next to a crystal statue of a praetorian.

After pushing him over, Sophia gave pursuit to Calidus while below in the arena, the gladiators were either fighting guards or freeing other gladiators.

I followed Sophia through the coliseum, in pursuit of Calidus.

We ran through a few narrow hallways and down a flight of stairs until we saw him fleeing towards the seat of his power, a large building towards the center of the city.

In between us and him were groups of guards fighting gladiators as they tried to get out of the arena.

As we made our way through the I recognized the mare that had stabbed Ivy, fighting with a pair of guards.

“What are you doing?” Sophia asked when I stopped.

I looked between the two of them.

“Go, I’ll catch up,” I said as I moved towards the mare.

I moved in between fighting ponies as I made my way through the crowd.

I reached her just as she had managed to stab one of them.

The second was about to take a stab at her when I wrapped my whip blade around the spear and pulled it from his grasp.

She quickly finished off the unarmed pegasus and turned to me.

“Thank-,” she was cut short by a small crystal stabbing her.

“That was for Ivy...” I growled, before letting go of the crystal and forming it flat to her body.

She gasped as her hoof went to the crystal.

She looked confused when there was no blood.

“I sealed the wound, now get these gladiators together, we need to rally,” I commanded before turning to chase after Sophia.

As I chased after Sophia, I could see an legion at least of soldiers standing outside the building, facing us.

I noticed that behind us, some of the gladiators had broken off and started to follow us.

When we got close to the building, Calidus turned around to face us, with the strength of a legion behind him.

Sophia stood at the front, with me slightly behind her, and Cleaver leading the gladiators that had followed us.

The two lines faced each other, one a slim line of pit fighters, the other a large formation of trained soldiers.

“Sophia, you’re little rebellion is over,” Calidus chuckled.

“I challenge you to a duel!” Sophia called across the intervening space.

“You really think I would be foolish enough to accept a duel?” He scoffed.

“Actually, we think that you’re honorable enough to not reject it,” a voice said from behind the formation of legionnaires.

“Arax?!” Calidus questioned.

The almost crippled stallion hobbled out of the formation.

“You thought this was your pet legion, but this is a legion of soldiers who are loyal to the triumvirate, the old guard if you will. If you were to kill Sophia in a duel they would follow you, but, if you refuse, then you show that you’re not even worthy to command one pony, let alone lead an entire empire,” Arax stored.

“Clever girl...” Calidus said as he turned back to Sophia. “Very well, I accept your challenge.

Sophia stepped forward, wielding her sword.

A legionnaire brought forward Calidus’ greatsword, which he took in shaking arms.

“What’s the matter, afraid to actually fight?” Sophia chided.

“I’m not afraid to fight you!” Calidus snapped.

“You should be,” Sophia said as she went to attack him.

Calidus was slow, but he was able to barely block Sophia’s swing.

From the pegasi’s perspective, it must have been downright shameful to see him fight so poorly.

Before too long it was apparent that it was already over, Calidus just didn’t know it yet.

It was just a matter of time before Sophia was able to land a thrus, which went right through his robes, staining them red.

She leaned in and whispered something to him before pushing him off of her blade and backwards onto the ground.

Sophia turned to us and raised her sword in victory.

Some of the legionaries cheered, but all of the gladiators were shouting her victory to the heavens.

Sophia sheathed her sword and walked up to me.

“Thank you Mixer for helping me. I’ll have your friends released and taken care of until you can return to your homeland. I also plan on giving the Saddle Arabians their cities back,” she said.

Cleaver walked up behind me and addressed her, “What about the gladiators?”

“Those of you who wish to stay may, but you are all free to go when you wish,” she said.

“Thanks for the offer mam, but, somepony’s got to entertain the people,” he said, hefting his blade onto his shoulder.

Sophia gave him a little smile, “I suppose you’re right.”

Arax approached us at that point.

“Well, there aren’t enough of us left, and I’m too old to be emperor so...” he trailed off, letting his eyes convey his meaning.

Sophia nodded, “I think it’s time for a change Arax.”

“As you wish empress,” he said, doing the best he could to bow.

“I never said that I didn’t need an advisor though,” she said.

“Would you like to address your legions now?” he asked, motioning to the soldiers behind him.

“Yes,” she said, and started walking to the top of a set of steps leading to the building.

She turned around and looked over the legionnaires and the gladiators, all warriors who had followed her lead.

“First of all, thank you, all of you who followed me to this point. And also, I send my thanks to all those that didn’t live to see Calidus’ fall. Up until this point, we pegasi have felt superior to the other races, but meeting these other ponies, these Equestrians, has show me that they have their own worth, and that they are no worse than us, some even better. I know it may not sound appealing to all of you, but I’m going to encourage the other pony races to involve themselves in both the military and government,” she paused to let the murmurs that had broken out die down.

“I will also promote peace with the Saddle Arabians and Equestrians. Without their help, this wouldn’t have been possible.”

She stopped when she saw something approaching through the air.

The rest of us turned and saw Celestia and Luna approaching, as well as a pair of chariots.

They were upon the capitol building in no time and landed ready for a fight.

The Elements of Harmony stepped off of the chariots and readied for battle as well.

“Peace,” Sophia said, holding up her hoof towards the two battle ready princesses. “Calidus has been dealt with. You are in no danger anymore.”

Celestia and Luna relaxed slightly.

Sombra pushed his way to the front of the crowd and ran up to Luna and gave her a hug.

“It’s alright, I only wish for us to be at peace,” Sophia said, making her way down the steps.

“You want peace?” Celestia asked.

“Yes,” Sophia said, walking up to her, “I wish our two nation to be friends,” she said, extending her hoof.

Celestia took her hoof and shook it.

“If you wish to make peace, then we would be more than happy to oblige,” she said.

“Princess Celestia, I’m sorry about what happened to you because of my “predecessor”, would you like to discus how I can make it up to you?” Sophia asked.

“You have done more wrong to the Saddle Arabians, it is them who you should talk to,” Celestia said as Haakim came walking up to them.

I left them at that point and went back to the members of the Lunar guard who had gathered together along with Soulless and a couple gladiators, including Cleaver.

“So, happy ending after all,” Soulless said.

“Thanks to you,” I said.

“Don’t thank me, I only helped,” he said.

“Where are Octavia and Vinyl” I asked.

“We’re right here,” a pegasus said off to my right.

Huh?” I said as I turned to see two pegasi mares.

“Oh, yes...” Soulless said, before dropping the illusion surrounding them, revealing them as they should have been.

“Wow, I didn’t even recognize you,” I said.

“Yeah, Soul’s pretty good at illusions,” Vinyl said, pulling her sunglasses out from underneath her helmet before tossing it away.

“I know,” I said.

“So, where is Ivy? I don’t see her,” Soulless asked.

“I... I’m not sure,” I said.

I hadn’t seen her since she’d been injured.

“It’s not polite to talk about somepony like they’re not here,” Ivy said, walking up with Mattock.

“She’s better, but she should still take it easy, that was a pretty bad wound,” Mattock said.

“I’m glad you’re alright,” I said.

“I wouldn’t be if it weren’t for you,” she said.

“I’d rather not think about that...” I said.

“So how are we all supposed to get back?” Brick asked.

“The airship is still in Saddle Arabia, so I’m guessing we hoof it back to there then fly home,” Soulless said.

“No need to worry about that,” Luna said as she walked up to us with Sombra, “The airship is on its way here.”

“So I guess we’re staying here for another night,” I said.

“Yes, I’m sorry,” she apologized.

I gave a sigh, “What’s one more night? I can wait if it means we can all go home.”

“I’d just teleport us all there, but it’s way too far,” Sobra said.

“Don’t worry yourself about it, we’ll just have to wait,” I said.
~~~~

Three days later, we were finally approaching Canterlot.

We had left Sophia in good standing and taken Haakim back to Saddle Arabia.

By the time we could see the castle, everypony was eager to get back.

“When we get back, I want all of you to take some time off to recuperate,” Luna said.

“I won’t argue with that,” I said.

“You’ve all been through alot, maybe perhaps now things will calm down,” Celestia said.

“We can hope,” I said.

Soon that airship was docked in the hangar and we all disembarked and went to our respective beds.

When Silverwing and I got to the door, Crystal came running out and attached herself to our front legs.

“You’re back!” she cried.

“Yes, we’re back,” Silverwing said.

“And this time, hopefully for good,” I added.