• Published 17th Feb 2013
  • 1,313 Views, 68 Comments

The Mixer Chronicles - Mixer



A stranger in Equestria, Mixer tries to to make the best of his new life.

  • ...
6
 68
 1,313

Rainbow Factory

The Mixer Chronicles

Book Eighteen:
Rainbow Factory

After the night of partying Silverwing returned to the palace with us while her squad trained with the Wonderbolts for a week.

“You built your base underground?” Silverwing asked as all of us rode down the lift.

“Yes, it is an excellent place to defend and we have plenty of space,” I said.

“I can see that,” she said as she took in the size of the cavern.

“We only use this as a base though, we spend most of our time above ground,” Trottson said.

“Yeah, and we have enough free time in between shifts to do just about anything,” Rose said.

“It sounds nice,” Silverwing said.

“It is,” Trottson said.

“Well, welcome to our humble complex,” I said as the lift reached the bottom.

She looked around at the small cluster of buildings that were both freestanding and built into the cavern walls.

“It does look like quite the position,” she said, walking past most of the buildings but stopping at the barracks.

“This is where we sleep, well, where most of us sleep,” Ivy said, nudging me.

“Hey, I rented the house for Crystal,” I said.

“I’m just joking around with you,” she said.

“And right over here is our house,” I said, pointing to an unassuming doorway in the cavern wall.

“Don’t worry, it’s much better on the inside,” Crystal said, as Silverwing gave the door a dubious look.

The three of us, Silverwing, Crystal, and myself, went into the house and Silverwing marveled at the interior. All of the walls in the main room were polished rock, but the floor was covered with soft white carpeting. There was a large red couch on one side of the room with a magical fireplace in front of it. From the entrance it was possible to see into the kitchen, where the carpet gave way to a grey tiled floor. There was another room in the downstairs and three more upstairs, all of which were bedrooms.

“Wow, it’s so nice,” Silverwing said, jumping on the bed in the spare bedroom.

“Yeah, they usually rent these houses out to miners who don’t want to make a long commute, but I’m using it now instead,” I said.

“It’s our house here in Canterlot,” Crystal said.

“You have another house?” Silver asked.

“Yes, I have a home in Ponyville, but it is more of a vacation home now,” I said.

“You’ll have to show me sometime,” she said.

“I think you’ll like it,” I said.

We went downstairs and I started making some lunch for the three of us.

I stopped when I heard a knock at the door.

“I’ll get it,” Crystal called and ran to the door.

When she opened it I could see that it was Luna and Sombra.

“Sombra, Luna!” Crystal welcomed them.

“What are you two doing down here?” I asked from the kitchen.

“What? Can’t we just stop by to say hi?” Sombra asked.

“The princess does not simply drop by to say hi,” I said.

“Oh really?” Luna asked.

“Count the number of times you have just dropped by to say hi and not told me to do something,” I said.

“Touche,” she said.

“So what’s up?” I asked.

“We have been thinking, and we would like you to go to Ponyville with Silverwing and Crystal. Think of it as giving her a tour, plus you deserve a vacation after recent events,” she said.

“You know what, I think I’d like that,” I said.

“I’m glad I don’t have to order you to take a break this time,” she chuckled.

“What’s all this about?” Silverwing said, going down the stairs.

“Ah, Silverwing, I don’t think we were properly introduced last time we met, I’m Sombra,” he said.

“Nice to met you Sombra,” she said.

“Anyways, you will get to experience some of the hospitality of Ponyville,” Luna said,”

“What?” Silverwing asked.

“Mixer has a house with room for all three of you, and I would like it if you stayed there’ away from the hustle and bustle of Canterlot life for a week or so,” Luna said.

“Oh, ok,” Silverwing said.

“It’ll be fun,” Crystal said.

“So, care to stay for lunch?” I asked Luna and Sombra.

“What are you having?” Sombra asked.

“Just some sandwiches, they are pretty easy, so I have a hard time messing them up,” I said.

“Um, no thank you,” Luna said.

“Oh, come on, he can't mess up a sandwich,” Sombra said, remembering the last time I tried to cook.

“Ok...” Luna said.

They stayed and the five of us enjoyed a good lunch, good by my standards at least.

After that Silverwing and Crystal got ready to go to Ponyville.

“So how is Ponyville?” Silverwing asked, as we walked to the trainstation.

“It’s great! It’s kind of small and all our friends live there,” Crystal said.

“She means Twilight, Fluttershy, Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie, Rainbow Dash, and Vinyl and Octavia,” I said.

“Yeah, and the Cutie MArk Crusaders!” Crystal said.

“Who?” silverwing asked.

“They are made of Applejack and Rarity’s younger sisters and a filly from Cloudsdale named Scootaloo,” I said.

“And why are they called the cutie mark crusaders?” she asked.

“Because they help young fillies and colts find their cutie marks,” Crystal said.

“Just be warned, Pinkie likes to throw parties for new ponies in town,” I said.

“That doesn’t sound too bad,” Silverwing said.

“Just letting you know in advance,” I said.

We boarded the train and arrived in Ponyville shortly.

“It’s so, simple,” Silverwing said when we arrived.

“Yeah, I like it,” I said, leading our little group towards my house.

When we left the station I thought I saw a shadow flicker in the corner of my eye, but dismissed it as some piece of debris from the train coming and going.

We walked through town until Pinkie waved us into Sugarcube Corner.

“Hey guys over here!” she called.

“Yay, it’s Pinkie!” Crystal called and ran over.

Crystal jumped on Pinkie and the two of them rolled on the ground laughing as Silverwing and I walked up.

“Hi Silverwing!” Pinkie said getting up.

“Hi Pinkie,” Silverwing said.

“I would like to introduce you three to Mr. and Mrs. Cake!” Pinkie said, gesturing to the proprietors of Sugarcube Corner.

“Oh Pinkie, who are your friends?” Mrs. Cake asked.

“This is MIxer, and Silverwing and Crystal!” Pinkie said, motioning to each of us in turn.

“Well it’s nice to meet all of you,” Mrs. Cake said.

“Nice to meet you too, Mrs. Cake,” Silverwing said.

“Where did Mr. Cake go?” Pinkie asked.

“He just went out to get some more ingredients, he’ll be back in a few minutes,” Mrs. Cake said.

“Aw, I wanted him to meet all of you,” Pinkie sulked.

“We’ll be in town for a week so I’m sure we’ll have plenty of chances,” I said.

“So Mixer, I never knew that you were a father,” Mrs. Cake said.

I coughed, caught off guard by the statement.

“I’m not,” I said, clearing my throat.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Mrs. Cake said.

“It’s ok, I can see why you would think that we were a family, I can see that we look just like one,” Silverwing said.

“But he’s just my guardian, and Silver is just visiting,” Crystal said.

“Ok, I see,” Mrs. Cake said.

“Well, we should get going now,” I said.

“Oh, don’t go without taking a cupcake!” Pinkie said.

“Yay! Cupcakes!” Crystal said.

Pinkie handed each of us a cupcake and Crystal proceeded to chow down on hers, Silver and I waiting to get to my house.

“Now I know that you’re going to get a Pinkie Party,” I said.

“Huh?” Silver asked.

“You met Mrs. Cake, now she knows you and would be perfectly willing to make you a large welcome cake,” I said.

“Hey look, it’s Rainbow Dash,” Crystal said pointing skyward.

We looked up and saw Rainbow doing some cloudbusting.

She sped around and had the sky clear of clouds in, had to be ten seconds flat.

She flew down to us after she was done.

“Yay! Do it again!” Crystal said, bouncing up and down.

“Sorry, no more clouds today kid, maybe tomorrow,” she said.

“Aww,” Crystal complained.

“So Silver, how’s the wing?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“I took the bandages off, but I haven’t tried flying yet,” she replied.

“Oh,” Rainbow Dash said.

“Well at least you are keeping up, ten seconds flat,” I said.

“HA! I knew it,” Rainbow said strutting about.

“Well, keep up the good work, we’ll see you later,” I said.

“Ok, see you guys later,” she said, waving goodbye to us.

“I wonder if we’ll bump into any more of your friends?” Silverwing asked.

“Don’t say that,” I said as a door flung open and music came pounding from inside.

“Mixer! Silverwing! What’s up?” Vinyl said.

“Hi Vinyl, we’re in town for the week, I’m showing Silverwing around.

“Cool,” Vinyl said, bobbing her head to the music.

“I see you got your glasses fixed,” Silverwing said.

“Nah, I threw that pair out, these are a brand new pair,” she said.

“So, how have you been since we last saw you and Octavia?” I asked.

“A little sore, but were recovering just fine,” Vinyl said.

“I see that hasn’t stopped you from rocking out,” I said.

“You know me, nothing can stop this party,” she said.

“Well, we were just heading over to my place,” I said.

“Ok, sounds cool, see ya later then,” Vinyl said.

“Bye Vinyl!” Crystal said.

“See ya,” she said and went inside.

“So where is your house?” Silverwing asked.

“On the outskirts of town, in a tree,” I said.

“Your house is in a tree?” she asked.

“It is a tree, much like the library,” I said.

“The library is a tree?” she asked.

“Yeah, right over there,” I said and pointed to Twilight’s house that was also a library.

“Wow, I didn’t think you could do that,” Silverwing said.

“Trees grow bigger with the help of magic here,” I said.

“I guess so,” she said admiring the size of the large tree.

“Are we going to visit Twilight too?” Crystal asked.

“We can,” I said, and steered Silverwing towards the library.

“I take it Twilight lives in the library?” Silverwing asked.

“Yes, her and her assistant Spike,” I said.

“Spike?” Silverwing asked.

“He’s a baby dragon,” Crystal said.

Silverwing’s eyes went wide, “There is a dragon here?”

“Of course,” Crystal said, cocking her head to one side puzzled by Silverwing’s reaction.

“Crystal, where I Silver comes from, Dragons have been extinct for more than a hundred years,” I said.

“Really?” Crystal asked.

“Yes,” I said.

“Wow,” she said.

We walked over to the door and knocked.

“Coming!” Twilight called from inside.

She opened the door and it looked like she was fresh out of bed, her mane left in uncombed clumps.

“Twilight, what's wrong?” Crystal asked.

“Oh nothing’s wrong, I was just,” she paused for a large yawn, “Reorganizing the library.”

“Have you been up all night?” I asked.

“Yes, Spike couldn’t sleep, and so I couldn’t sleep either, and then I reorganized the library and I was just about done when you knocked at the door,” she said, her head drooping sleepily.

“Ok, we didn’t want to interrupt you, plus it looks like you could use some rest,” Silverwing said.

“Can’t we help?” Crystal asked.

“I have Spike finishing up the last of the books now,” she said, issuing another yawn.

“Well, we’ll just go then, you get some rest, we’ll come back tomorrow,” I said.

“Ok...” she said sleepily and wandered back inside.

“Sometimes she works herself too hard,” I said.

“Sounds like somepony else I know,” Silverwing said.

“Hey, I don’t stay up at night doing research anymore,” I said.

“I remember the one time when you woke up the entire palace when one of your ‘experiments’ made the loudest bang you ever heard,” Silverwing said, laughing.

“Yes, and the lab tech who was attending the lab nearly went deaf,” I said.

“When I look around this place it feels so peaceful, nopony is rushing to get somewhere, there are no large buildings, just a simple little town with happy inhabitants,” Silverwing said.

“Yeah, that’s why I like it here,” I said.

We went on and arrived at my house without bumping into anypony else we knew.

When we got inside Silverwing marveled at me living room/study, where I had my instruments, and now the gift sword from Haakim over the mantle.

“When did you get all these?” she asked.

“When I got more bits I decided to get some instruments, more as decoration than to play, but I do pick them up on occasion,” I said.

“And where did you get that sword?” she asked, admiring the ornate blade.

“It was a gift from a sheikh of Saddle Arabia,” I said.

“You have been busy here haven’t you,” she said.

“More than you could imagine,” I said.

After I showed her all of my instruments and my lab, what was left of it, I remembered that there were only two beds in my house.

“Hmm, how are we going to do this?” I said, thinking out loud.

“Do what?” Silverwings asked.

“There are three of us and only two beds...” I said.

“I can sleep with you,” Crystal said.

“Are you sure, I could just sleep downstairs,” I said.

“No, I don’t want you sleeping on the hard floor,” Crystal said.

“Ok, if you insist,” I said.

“It’s ok, you don’t have to worry about keeping me up with your snoring,” she said playfully.

“Hey, I don’t snore,” I said.

Silverwing laughed as Crystal made snoring noises.

“That’s a pretty good impression,” Silverwing said.

“Oh, so now you’re in on this too,” I said, playfully.

Crystal broke out in peals of laughter when Silverwing made even bigger snoring sounds.

“Ok, this is how you make a snoring sound,” I said, and trumped all of them.

“That’s so loud it would wake up everypony from here to Canterlot,” Silverwing said through her laughter.

“You could scare away a dragon with snores that loud,” Crystal chimed in rolling on the ground.

“It’s getting late, and I don’t know about you two, but I’m getting kind of tired,” I said, stifling a yawn.

“Oh no, not you two,” Silverwing said, as she caught the contagious yawning.

Crystal giggled then let out her own yawn.

We each went to our rooms and I got into bed, Crystal climbing in after me and snuggling close.

I stayed awake for a bit longer, looking out the window at the crescent moon.
In the weak light I thought I saw a silhouette, but I was too tired to care or think anything of it so I just closed my eyes and went to sleep.

The next morning when I woke up the bed was empty, and I could smell breakfast downstairs.

I walked downstairs to see that Silverwing had made all three of us breakfast and that Crystal was waiting at the table in her natural form.

“Good morning sleepy head, we thought you would sleep the day away,” Silverwing said.

“Well, as you can see, I’m awake,” I yawned, “Mostly.”

“Oh, by the way, while you were asleep, Applejack dropped off some apples for us,” Silverwing said.

“I’ll have to thank her later,” I said.

“Yeah, but for now let’s eat,” she said, and set out three plates of eggs and toast.

“Wow, it looks so good,” Crystal said.

“Yeah, better than my cooking,” I joked.

We ate and then Crystal wanted to go and hang out with the CMC.

“I think they have school today, but you can have fun with them later,” I said.

“Ok,” she said.

Silverwing and I talked for a bit while Crystal played outside for a bit.

“So how did you end up here?” Silverwing asked.

“I’m not sure the specifics, but it happened when I was doing an experiment, I can’t even remember what it was,” I said.

“Do you think Lucius had something to do with it?” she asked.

I winced slightly at the mention of his name, but I replied, “If I had to guess, yes.”

“Well, now you dealt with him so you have nothing to worry about,” she said.

“Oh I wouldn’t say that I have nothing to worry about,” I said, looking out the window to where Crystal was playing.

“So what is it with you and her?” Silverwing asked.

I sighed, “I turned her mother into stone,” I said flatly.

“What?” she asked, looking horrified.

“There is a lot more to it, but that is the part of why she is with me,” I said.

“So what happened?” Silver asked, calming down.

“Her mother tried to invade Equestria with an army of changelings, and was pushed back by princess Cadence and Shining Armor, Twilight’s older brother. After that she went into hiding until she attacked again. With Sombra’s help I was able to get the Elements of Harmony to their bearers and the changelings were pushed out again, only this time Chrysalis was crafty. She waited until after the Elements had been used and were being transported back to arrive in person. After she threatened everypony, I trapped her in a crystal with myself, sealing both of us in the Astral Plane. when I released us she tried to turn over a new leaf and act good, but when Discord returned to collect a debt I owed him, Chrysalis was caught in the blast the turned Discord back into stone,” I explained.

“Wow, that sound like a lot,” Silverwing said.

“Yeah, then after I formed the Lunar guard, Crystal tried to get her mother back, that’s when, after talking with her mother, she came into my care, to learn how to be more like a pony and to live in harmony with us,” I said.

“Well I think you are doing a fine job,” she said.

“Yeah, but she’s still a filly, I worry for what will happen when she gets older,” I said.

“I’m sure that it will all be ok,” she said.

“Thanks,” I said.

We sat for a while longer then went outside.

“Crystal I think that Apple Bloom and the others should be done with school soon, would you like to go to the schoolhouse and see?” I asked.

“Yes,” she answered.

“Ok then, you know the drill,” I said and she changed into her unicorn form, which she could hold almost all day now.

We walked to the schoolhouse and when we arrived all the little fillies and colts were happily leaving.

“Hey Apple Bloom!” Crystal called, waving to her friends.

“Hi Crystal,” apple Bloom said, running up with Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo.

“Ready to go on another adventure?” Sweetie asked.

“Yay adventure!” Crystal said.

“Well you can do that once we get to Sweet Apple Acres,” I said. “Besides, we have to go thank Applejack for the apples.”

“Ok,” Crystal said, as the four of them led the way towards the Apple family orchard.

It did not take us very long before we were surrounded by apple trees and the smell of apples.

“Applejack! We’re home!” Apple Bloom called.

“Hey there! I see you got your friends all rounded up. Going to go on another ‘crusade’?” Applejack asked ambling over.

“Always,” Sweetie said.

“Ok now, just be sure to be back before dark,” Applejack said, as the four of them scampered to the treehouse.

“Hi Applejack, how are things?” I asked.

“Well, things have been mighty fine since we got back from that big ol city of yers. So how’re y’all doin?” she asked.

“I’m fine,” I said.

“I’m pretty good too,” Silver said.

“Well that’s good ta hear. Say, would you like some cider? we made a batch early this year,” she said.

“No thanks, save it for some other ponies,” I said.

“What about you miss Silverwing, would you like ta try a swig?” she asked.

“It wouldn’t be any trouble would it?” Silver asked.

“Nope,” Big Mac said joining us.

“Oh Silver, meet mah big brother Big Macintosh, but everypony just calls him Big Mac,” Applejack said.

“Nice to meet you Big Mac,” silverwing said.

“Eeyup,” he said, shaking her hoof.

“Yeah, he doesn’t talk much,” Applejack said.

“Nope,” Big Mac added.

“Big Mac, why don’t you get some sider for our friends here,” Applejack suggested.

“Eeyup,” Mac said and went off into the barn.

“You’re gonna love this,” Applejack said.

“So what’s so special about cider?” Silverwing asked.

“This isn’t just any old cider, this is Apple family cider, the best around,” applejack said.

“Yeah, and they proved it when a couple of unicorns tried to prove that they could make better cider with a machine,” I said.

“I wonder whatever did happen to them Flim Flam brothers?” Applejack asked.

“I’m not sure,” I said, semi truthfully.

Just then Big Mac came back with a small keg on his back and a couple of mugs hanging from the spout.

“Wait till you get a lode of these apples,” Applejack said, pouring each of us a mug.

Silverwing drank some of her’s first.

“Well?” I asked.

“This is the most amazing drink in the world!” she said, draining the rest of it.

“Told ya,” Applejack said.

“Well, bottoms up,” I said, drinking mine.

They were right, it was the best drink in the world. Nothing I had ever tried to make to add flavor to a drink had anything on this cider.

“I’ll take that there drooling that that’s a yes,” Applejack said.

“Most definitely,” I said.

“Eeyup,” Big Mac said giving a smile.

“How can we repay you for this wonderful cider?” Silverwing asked.

“Just think of this as calling it even for saving our sorry flanks from that unicorn,” Applejack said.

“Ok,” Silverwing said.

“You know, Rainbow Dash would kill us if she knew that we got some before she did,” I said.

“Don’t you worry about RD none, I’m sure she’ll get some this season,” Applejack said.

“Alright, and thanks a bunch for the apples and the cider,” I said.

“Think nothin of it,” she said.

“Well, we have the rest of the day ahead of us, I’m sure the little ones will be at it all day,” I said.

“Well, we could go visit Twilight,” Silverwing suggested.

“Sounds like a plan,” I said.

“Well if yer all gonna see Twi, tell her hi for me will ya,” Applejack said.

“Can do,” I said and the two of us walked back into town.

“The Apples seem like a nice bunch,” Silverwing said.

“Yeah, they are, especially to new ponies,” I said.

“They are so different here then when I first met them,” Silverwing said.

“That’s because they are home now, they feel secure and more relaxed,” I said.

“That makes sense,” she said.

“Just be ready for Rarity, she will want to give you a makeover and then make you a whole new set of dresses,” I joked.

“What about Fluttershy?” she asked.

“There is a pnoy that I’m not sure of anymore. She used to be shy and timid, until I got to know her, then she became more open, but I have never seen the side of her I did in Lucius’s castle,” I said.

“She sounds like an interesting pony,” Silverwing said.

“She’s nince, but watch out for her rabbit, Angel,” I isad.

“Angel?” she asked.

“He doesn't like me, let’s leave it at that,” I said.

“Ok. Well at least it looks like Twilight might be awake today,” silver said as we neared the library and could see Twilight inside, reading.

We knocked on the door and Spike let us in.

“Oh wow! A real dragon!” Silverwing said.

“Um, hi?” Spike said.

“Spike, this is Silverwing, Silverwing this is Spike,” I said.

“Nice to meet you,” Spike said.

“Wow, I never thought I would get to see a dragon, much less talk to one,” she said.

“Ok...” Spike said.

“Oh sorry, nice to meet you,” she said.

“Hi Twilight,” I said as we walked in.

“Oh hi,” she said putting down the book. “What’s up?” she asked.

“Nothing much, we left Crystal with the Apples, and we don’t have anything else to do the rest of the day,” I said.

“Oh, I see,” Twilight said.

“And it seems that I forgot about our country's lack of dragons,” I said, as I looked over to see Silverwing bombarding Spike with questions.

“So what is up, it looks like something’s troubling you,” Twilight said, taking me into the other room.

“I’ve noticed these odd things happening lately,” I said.

“What kinds of things?” she asked.

“A flicker of motion here, a shadow there, always at the edge of my field of vision, and always gone before I look,” I said.

“Hmm, sounds strange, and has anypony else noticed these things?” she asked.

“Not that they have told me,” I said.

“Well, if it keeps up, tell me,” she said.

“Ok, I will,” I said, and we went back into the other room.

“Twilight, save me!” Spike said, running and hiding behind Twilight’s leg.

Silverwing laughed hysterically.

“She keeps asking me all these questions, I thought my ears were going to fall off,” he said.

The three of us started laughing, “Oh Spike.”

“Sorry, I’m just curious to know more about dragons,” Silverwing said.

“It’s alright, I’m sure he will recover,” Twilight said.

“Well, now Rarity is the only one we haven’t seen yet since we got into town,” I said.

“Oh, well, I’m sure she will be glad to see you,” Twilight said.

“Ok, let’s go then,” Silverwing said, not wanting to bug Spike with more questions.

“Ok,” I said, and the two of us left.

“Thankfully, it is just down the road,” I said, as we turned towards the white building.

“Wow, it looks so nice,” Silverwing said.

“Yes, Rarity takes her boutique quite seriously,” I said.

“Well then, shall we?” Silverwing said.

“You go on ahead, I just remembered something I need to get,” I said, and dashed off.

I didn’t want to alarm Silverwing about the shadow, or whatever it was, but I saw it again, and I was determined to find out what it was.

As I came to a halt somewhere in the market, I looked around, and saw a flicker of movement go down a back alley.

I gathered my magic and teleported into the alley, giving myself enough space to hopefully get a good look at what it was that I had seen.

“Stop!” I said to the shadowy form that was running straight at me.

When it came to a stop I could see that it was a unicorn, a little shorter than myself, wearing a black cloak and sunglasses.

He stopped, then smiled as he disappeared, seeming to fade from existence.

I didn’t buy it and used a crystal to seal the exit to the alley, leaving a closed corridor with me at one end and where the stranger had been on the other.

I heard a thud as something struck the crystal, but was rebounded off.

The jet black unicorn melted back into sight and this time there was a shining blade sticking out from one of the straps on his forehoof.

“Nowhere to run now,” I said.

“But everywhere to hide,” he said, and faded away again.

“I know you’re still here,” I said.

There was silence, except for the sounds of commotion on the other side of the crystal barrier of ponies finding the obstruction rather odd.

There was a muffled whump, and I could tell that whoever it was, had just teleported away under his invisibility.

I lowered the barrier and walked out, leaving the other ponies to ponder what had happened in that alley.

Whoever this pony was, he was clearly very dangerous, and well armed.

I walked back to Carousel Boutique and entered just in time for Rarity to finish a cup of tea with Silverwing.

“Oh, you’re here. What did you have to get?” Silverwing asked.

“Something from the market. So what have you two been doing?” I asked.

“Oh we were just having a lovely conversation about your country’s fashions,” Rarity said.

“I’m sure it was, enlightening,” I said.

“Oh it was, and I told Silverwing about some of the Equestrian fashions,” Rarity said.

“Well, I’m sorry to cut this short, but don’t you think we should go and get Crystal?” I asked Silverwing.

“I’m sure she will be fine, she’s with her friends and Applejack and Big Mac can watch out for them,” she said.

“Well, I’m sure Rarity would like Sweetie Belle back before dark,” I said.

“You are right, I like to have Sweetie back at a reasonable hour,” Rarity said.

“Well, I’m sure the four of them would go all day and all night if we didn’t round them up,” I said.

“I suppose you’re right,” Silverwing said.

We said, goodbye to Rarity and went outside, heading to Sweet Apple Acres.

“Oh shoot, I forgot to talk to Fluttershy,” I said. “You go on ahead and get Crystal, I’ll meet the two of you back home,” I said, and trotted off.

“Ok, just don’t stay out too late,” Silver said to me as I left.

I genuinely did forget about Fluttershy, but I just used that as an excuse to try and apprehend the unicorn before he could hurt anypony.

I created a detection crystal so that I could covertly know when he was around.

As I walked through town I kept checking whenever it detected something in an odd location, but all of it was just regular activity.

Then it went off, and I looked but didn’t see anything.

The crystal detected a body in the mouth of an alley, and this one had more than one exit.

I walked casually by, until I got to the mouth of the alley, then I threw down a crystal just at the threshold of the alley, sealing it, and teleported inside, throwing down another crystal behind me.

The unicorn made himself visible after that, seeing that I could tell where he was, even if I couldn’t see him.

“Persistent aren’t you,” he said, lowering his hood.

His mane was bright red, like fire, with darker streaks running through it.

I pulled out an inhibitor ring that I carry with me and jammed it on his horn with magic before he could react.

“Oh goody...” he said.

I created crystal shackles from the wall behind him and bound his legs, making it impossible for him to escape.

“Looks like you underestimated me,” I said.

“Heh, if I had ‘underestimated’ you, then why waste a perfectly good chance before?” he asked, as I pushed him down.

“Who sent you here?” I asked.

“Why, you brought me here,” he said in a smart tone.

“I’m not playing games here assassin, tell me who hired you?” I questioned him, pushing him down into the dirt.

“Now you know that violence won’t get you anywhere,” he said, and I gave him a kick, rolling him over onto his back.

“Why are you here?” I growled, pinning him down.

“I came seeking you,” he said.

“WhY?” I questioned, moving my hoof from his chest to his neck.

“To... warn... you,” he gagged out.

“Warn me of what?” I questioned, lifting me hoof.

He gasped, “About something far worse than Discord, or Chrysalis, or even Lucius,” he said.

“What do you know about Lucius?!” I yelled at him, picking him up.

“I know that since you locked him up for good, your head has become much more valuable,” he said.

“I’m taking you to Celestia for questioning,” I said, throwing him down.

“You won’t make it that far, at least, not with me still alive,” he said.

“So what, you’re going to off yourself?” I asked.

“Oh no, they will be doing the offing,” he said.

“And who are they?” I asked.

“The threat I was talking about,” he said.

“If they are as underestimating as you, I should have no problem,” I said.

“You don’t understand, I left their group, now they want me dead, to keep their secrets. If I tell you, then you can root out a problem and I get to live, it’s a win win,” he said.

“We’ll see about that, when we get to Canterlot,” I said, and levitated him so I could carry him.

“We’ll see if we get that far,” he said.

I lowered the barriers and there were a couple shocked gasps as the ponies saw me walk out levitating a bound unicorn.

I took him back to my house and left him on the ground by the door.

“Mixer who is that?” Silverwing asked.

“A prisoner, now we have to go to Canterlot right away,” I said.

“What’s going on?” Crystal asked.

“We have to go, now,” I said. and we left out the door, and I picked the prisoner back up.

“You know Mixer, that carrying me out in public is not helping with the whole ‘they want me dead’ thing as it is,” he said.

“Quiet, I won’t let anypony sneak up on us,” I said.

“And then you’ve got Crystal and Silverwing with you too, that just makes you one big easy target,” he said.

“Now, you’re just trying to get cut loose,” I said.

“Oh really, well then, when a hit squad of super ponies walk up to you saying, ‘your head, my blade, make it happen,’ don’t say I didn’t warn you,” he said.

“Mixer, what’s going on?” Silverwing asked in a distressed voice.

“I found him spying on me, and he says that there is some kind of threat to Equestria that he will tell us in exchange for protection,” I said.

“What?” she asked shocked.

“I take it you have been following me for awhile?” I asked.

“Since you got back into Ponyville,” he said.

“Ok, Silverwing, go tell Twilight to get the others and go to Canterlot, I don’t want any surprises if he is telling the truth,” I said.

“Now why would I lie to you?” he asked smartly.

“Oh maybe because you are a spy, or an assassin, or that you only just met me,” I said.

“Fair enough, but I am telling the truth, they will come,” he said.

“Mixer, I’m scared,” Crystal said.

“Don’t be, as long as I’m here nothing will hurt you,” I said.

“What if you’re not there?” the unicorn asked.

“I’ll be there,” I said, making it clear that the peanut gallery bit was not appreciated.

“Ok, just questioning your ability to be everywhere at once, though I suppose that you are the great Mixer,” he said.

“Listen you,” I said, drawing him closer to me, “You’ll be lucky to get off simply staying in the dungeon for the rest of your life.”

“Again, we’ll see if I make it that far,” he said, and remained silent the rest of the way.

Silverwing returned and said that Twilight was already on it.

We arrived at the train station and met up with Twilight and the others and boarded an express train to Canterlot.

“Wow, we actually made it on the train,” the prisoner said as I set him down on the floor of a shipping car.

“I’ll be staying here to watch you, make sure you don’t get lonely,” I said.

“Lovely,” he said sarcastically.

We rode the train for a few minutes until there was a thud in the roof.

“Well it took them long enough,” the unicorn said.

A pegasus, swung down in between cars and opened the door that led toward the front of the train, cutting of my escape.

Two more ponies swung down through the sides on ropes, adding to the barrier in between us.

I picked up the unicorn and went back another car, only to be stopped when a pegasus that was larger the Big Mac, actually tore a section of roof off. He landed in the car in front of us with a thud, and we heard a clunk as the car disconnected from the train.

“Oh, that’s not good,” he said in a calm tone, not befitting the situation.

“Oh really?!” I said, thinking of how best to tackle the situation.

I turned to face the larger pegasus, hoping that I could keep him from flattening us for a few seconds while the other three caught up to us.

I readied two long crystals and used them like staves to block each titanic swing from the buff pegasus, with one small problem, they were starting to crack from the strength of the swings.

As I blocked a double hooved smash, I heard a sound of metal on crystal and then a thump.

I dodged out of the way and saw that the prisoner had gotten to his feet and somehow floored one of the other attackers, while still being bound in the crystal.

I rolled backwards avoiding another mighty swing and ended up back to back with the prisoner.

“Well, you seem to be doing alright,” he said sarcastically.

“Hold on,” I said, turning around and grabbing him, throwing open one of the side doors of the car as I did.

We jumped and tumbled for a few seconds coming to rest as the train car started to falter and roll back down the hill.

I stood up and looked as the four that were attacking us jumped out of the car and started making their way towards us.

“Ok, I think running might be a better option,” I said, undoing the shackles on the prisoner.

“Gee thanks,” he said and reached for the ring on his horn.

I created a ball of crystal around him and set it on the tracks, jumping on the top facing backwards.

“Go,” I shouted through the crystal.

After giving us a boost with magic we started rolling up the hill, the power of both of us keeping us ahead of two of them, but the two pegasi took to the air and started closing the distance.

I started to create a swarm of small crystal pellets, until I had a hailstorm of them that I flung at the approaching pegasi.

The smaller one was buffeted and fell backwards, wis wings faltering under the onslaught, however the larger one simply shrugged it off and continued his pursuit.

“You are going to need more than that to stop him, I would have to guess he has at least two, maybe three augmentations,” the prisoner said.

“Augmentations?” I asked.

I split open the crystal ball and it opened rearwards, forming a flying trap for the large augmented pegasus.

I closed it on him when he got caught in one of the halves and he rolled back down the hill, impeding his comrades.

“Now what?” the dark unicorn asked.

I created a broad board of crystal, “Hop on.”

He jumped on and we took off towards Canterlot,which was a ways away.

I could have made it no problem, except I had been using a lot of magic that day and so be the time we neared the castle, we were dipping through the air.

“Are you sure you can make it?” the unicorn asked.

“I’ll make it,” I said as my horn sparked and sputtered keeping the two of us in the air.

He didn’t look reassured and then he slipped the ring off and disappeared, though I could still feel his weight on the board. Then the board got lighter and I knew he was gone.

“Blasted unicorn,” I said to myself making the rest of the way to the castle by myself.

When I landed I was greeted by the Lunar guard and given my armor.

I put it on and went into the throne room where Celestia, Luna and the others were gathered.

“Mixer what happened back there?” Twilight asked.

“We were attacked, but we got away,” I said.

“We?” asked Celestia.

“Yes, there was a prisoner that was with me but he got away,” I said.

“How did he escape?” Luna asked.

“When we were fighting he slipped away,” I lied, not wanting to tell them that he simply teleported away.

“Well, we must take this threat seriously if they attacked you in broad daylight,” Celestia said.

“I know, but we have nothing to go on since our only source of information, just... vanished...” I trailed off, feeling an odd sensation behind me.

“Well, I’ll keep the guards on alert for any suspicious activity,” Celestia said.

“Twilight, you and your friends should stay here at the castle until it is safe,” Luna said.

“And I’ll make sure we keep up with patrols,” I said.

“Now go, it is getting late,” Celestia said.

I went to the caverns with the Lunar guard that were not on duty and I went to my house with Crystal and Silverwing.

“You two stay here, I put a magical lock on the door that can’t be opened from the outside without the right technique, but you can open it from the inside just fine,” I said.

“Ok, what about you?” Silverwing asked.

“I have a duty to perform,” I said, and left them inside, pulling the piece of paper that was sticking out of my armor’s shoulder piece.

Thought you might want a little more info...

I read the note and my eyes grew wide, they could do just about anything without even the princesses knowing.

As I ran to the airship dock, I could hear another set of hooves as he materialized besides me.

“Where are you going?” he asked.

We are going to save Luna,” I said.

“What?” he asked.

“If they know about you, and that I got away with you, then their next move could be to capture Luna while she raises the moon,” I said.

“So what’s the plan?” he asked.

“We fly out without her knowing and make sure she gets back safe and sound,” I said.

“And how do you plan to do that, you were barely able to keep us in the air last time,” he said.

I pointed to a pair of loops on my armor which held two slightly blue potions, “I made these to keep me going.”

When we reached the airship dock, I walked over to a panel in the side of the door and lifted it off, revealing a small passage in the door.

“We take this maintenance hatch to the outside then we wait for Luna to take off,” I said, crawling into the small space.

“So why trust me now?” he asked, climbing in with me.

“Because, I think that you are the only one who can help right now, having the most knowledge about this organization,” I said.

I pushed on a handle in the side of the passage and it swung outward, revealing a sheer drop down the side of the mountain.

I created a crystal board and held it in place while I jumped on it.

“Coming?” I called back to the unicorn.

He jumped on and I moved us to a lower position so Luna would be less likely to notice us.

“So, we’re just going to follow her?” he asked.

“Yeah, and make sure nothing happened to her,” I replied, forming a set of hoofholds for when we started to move faster.

We waited, just above the trees, when we saw Luna take off from her room in the castle.

We took off and followed at a safe distance behind her, keeping above the tree level.

As we flew over the forest canopy I asked my conscripted ally to fly for a few seconds.

“Alright,” he said, taking up the levitation while I sat down and concentrated.

I used a long range detection pulse, trying to detect any possible threats.

“There are three pegasi, traveling at high speed below the trees, about halfway in between us and Luna,” I said, almost trance like.

I held the detection for a few moments more and then let it go.

“They don’t appear to be making any moves towards Luna or us,” I said.

“I take it you will be flying again?” he asked.

“On moment,” I said, and made three small pedestals in front of him, topping each with a small crystal ball.

I pushed my horn to each one, forming it around my horn. I discharged a jolt of magical lightning into each one.

“What are those?” he asked.

“Shock orbs, each one is fragile and will detonate upon impact stunning anypony in at least a ten foot radius,” I replied.

“Nice,” he said and handed the levitation to me.

We flew for longer until Luna stopped, preparing to raise the moon.

I did a short detection pulse and waited for it to rebound with its findings.

“Oh no,” I said.

“What?” my companion asked.

“There are three groups, on unicorn and three pegasi, all set at different points,” I said, dropping the levitation, starting a brief freefall.

“What are you doing?” he questioned as he caught us.

I didn’t reply, only forming three crystals from the board and sending them on an intercept course with the charging spells that the unicorns were casting.

I barely got them in place before three rays of energy shot up from the trees and deflected off of the crystals.

After realizing that they had lost the element of surprise, the nine pegasi erupted from the canopy and headed right for Luna.

I heard the sound of one of the orbs being picked up and watched as he flung it right at the nearest group, nailing all three of them.

He smirked as the three of them fell towards the forest.

I took over the flying and he took the shooting as we flew up to meet Luna.

The other two groups fanned out after seeing their comrades taken down, and my gunner was only able to get one of them with the two remaining orbs.

“Hold on,” I said to my gunner while I clamped him onto the board, and spun it upside down.

“Hey!” he cried.

I detached the three empty pedestals from the underside of the board, “Use these.”

I watched as he threw one like a javelin, nailing one of them, leaving only four pegasi left.

I pulled us to the side, dodging a beam of energy from the trees.

“Luna we have to get out of here!” I shouted.

She heard me and started flying back towards the castle, with us following behind.

Now the four pegasi were closing the distance between us, getting closer, but also easier to hit, as another fell to a thrown pedestal.

Luna was swerving and weaving around through the air, dodging vollies of magic that flew up from the forest.

I flipped the board around, leaving my comrade flying, and myself to deal with the last of the pegasi.

I created a sizeable amount of crystal pellets and threw them like a bunch of shot towards the group.

They all stopped and covered their faces, being bombarded by the swift little missiles.

They broke off and flew down towards the unicorns that were now falling behind.

I rotated the half of the crystal I has attached to, getting both of us on the same side of the board.

“That was a little too easy,” I said.

“You should feel lucky, they usually only travel in groups of two,” he said.

As we were getting out of range, leaving the assailants behind us, three streaks of light met at Luna’s location, scoring their first direct hit.

We dove the catch the falling alicorn, and caught her just above the trees.

I let us down through the trees to the forest floor, checking Luna over.

“She doesn’t appear to be injured. They must have just used stun spells,” I said.

“You look a little ragged,” he said.

I pulled on of my potions from their belt and drank it, feeling the energy return to my tired body.

“I can go for the rest of the night with this,” I said.

“Alright,” he replied dubiously.

“They are following us,” I said, sending out a detection pulse.

“Leave them to me,” he said, and disappeared.

I tried to carry Luna, but she was too large to carry without letting her drag on the ground so I used the board as a stretcher.

My plan was to get Luna to Zecora’s hut, which would be some distance away, but I was going to keep going with or without my newfound ally.
--

My ally was sitting in a tree, invisible, after setting up a tripwire trap for the three unicorns.

Below him sat a “wet clone”, a semi solid illusion of himself, that seemed to be scanning the forest for attackers.

He himself saw the unicorns coming long before they saw his clone, preparing to put on a show.

The three unicorns, each of which had an augmentation, were standing at a distance, watching the clone. When one of them fired a bolt of magic at it, it dodged out of the way, looking surprised by the sneak attack. The other two fired bolt as it charged them, each missing as it dodged them.

When it was almost on top of them the first fired a searing bolt at it at point blank.

A hole opened up in the clone’s chest, a look of shock and horror on its face, until the wound started to melt shut.

They didn't even know what hit them. My ally jumped down behind them and smashed two of their heads together, letting them slump to the ground. The third was met with a swift blade to the throat, stopped in the middle of casting a magical attack.

He pulled the blade out and wiped it on a nearby fern, letting his clone dissipate into a fine mist.

When the pegasi caught up to the scene, all they would find was three dead unicorns and a slight puddle of water.
--

“So, where are we going?” he said, suddenly appearing next to me.

I jumped about two feet into the air, and landed clumsily.

“Don’t do that!” I yelled.

“Sorry,” he apologized and we began walking again.

“We are trying to get to Zecora’s, but we have to walk, otherwise we would be targets,” I said.

I heard Luna stirring, “What’s going on? Where are we?” she said groggily.

“We are somewhere in the Everfree Forest, and we saved you from a group of assailants,” I said.

“They were trying to capture you,” me ally said.

“And who is this?” she asked, now starting to stand up.

“You may call me Soulless,” he said.

“Well that’s... cheerful,” I said sarcastically.

“I was part of an organization that abducted ponies to syphon their souls for augmentations, you don’t exactly get to have a nice name in that line of work,” he retorted.

“You what!?” both of us exclaimed.

“It’s a long story, but right now all that matters is that they are getting bolder. They would have never attacked a princess if they weren’t worried,” he said.

“We have to do something, and soon,” I said.

Soulless shook his head, “If you storm into Cloudsdale, all up in arms, there will be many casualties, and you will not win.”

“Then, stealth and surprise are our allies,” Luna said.

“Right up my alley,” he said.

“I have an idea, but I need Silverwing’s help,” I said.

“What do you propose?” Luna asked.

“Silverwing goes to Cloudsdale, and poses as a rich pony from another country who is willing to pay to have her ability to fly given back to her. While she tried to contact this organization, I will try to dig up what I can, posing as a bum, with Soulless being my backup,” I said.

“What?” Luna said shocked. “Just the three of you?”

“Any more of us and they might suspect something, plus Soulless can be invisible for extended periods,” I said.

“Alright, but I doubt my sister will approve of this,” Luna said.

“That is why we won’t tell her the actual plan, but give her another, less risky plan,” I said.

“Like what?” Luna asked.

“Having Silverwing’s old squad members go undercover and try to find out as much as they can before a coordinated strike,” I said.

“Deception for the greater success, I approve,” Soulless said.

Luna shot him a dirty look, “I trust you Mixer, I just hope that nothing goes wrong.”

“We are dealing with an unknown enemy, things are bound to go wrong at some stage, I just hope we can minimize the damage,” I said.

“Can we get going now? I hate to just sit here and let them gain back the ground I gave us,” Soulless said.

“Yes, we have to get back to Canterlot as soon as possible, and now we don’t have to detour to Zecora’s to treat you Luna,” I said.

“So why don’t we just fly?” Luna asked.

“Because, an alicorn and two unicorns riding a crystal is a rather conspicuous target,” I said.

“Then we must hurry,” she said.

“What if we fly below the treetops?” Soulless asked.

“It will be hard going,” I said.

“We cannot afford to waste time,” Luna said and spread her wings.

“Very well,” I conceded and the three of us flew through the trees towards the base of the mountain that Canterlot was seated upon.

“You go back the normal way, there’s no way they would be willing an attack so close to the castle. We’ll go in the back way,” I said.

She nodded and took off for the castle, while Soulless and I went for the maintenance hatch.

“So, you think your plan is going to work?” he asked me as we hovered by the hatch.

“I don’t know, but it is the best plan I can think of,” I said, prying it open.

We climbed inside the hatch and reemerged in the hangar.

“Mixer, what are you doing up so early?” Clockwork asked when we walked past his office.

“Couldn’t sleep well after yesterday,” I said.

“I can understand that, an attempt on your life can be quite rattling,” he said with a nod and went back to his paperwork.

We walked through the caverns, Soulless cloaked so as to not arouse suspicions.

“Hey Mixer, where were you last night?” Ivy called as I was about to enter my house.

“I couldn’t sleep last night so I went for a walk,” I said.

“Then why didn’t Silverwing know where you were, and why are you still in your armor?” she asked.

“I must have forgotten to tell her, and I’m still wearing my armor because of security reasons, same as you,” I said.

“And why do you look like you have been running through the Everfree forest?” she asked.

“You can wait for the report like everypony else,” I snapped.

“What happened?” she asked worried.

“I took care of it,” I said, and closed the door behind me.

“Mixer! you’re back,” Silverwing said, getting up from where she and Crystal were laying on the couch.

“Silverwing, I need to talk to you about something,” I said.

“What?” she asked.

“Something that we need to discuss in private,” I whispered.

She nodded and we went upstairs.

“So what is it?” she asked.

“The group that attacked me yesterday, tried to capture Luna last night,” I said.

“That’s horrible!” she gasped.

“I need your help to root them out, but it will be very risky,” I said.

“And sneaking into New Pegisopolis when we were wanted wasn’t?” she countered.

I sighed, “I need you to try and get access to them by posing as a ‘customer’, a pony who wants to get her ability to fly back at any cost,” I said.

“Do you know where they are?” she asked.

“Somewhere in Cloudsdale, a city of almost exclusively pegasi,” I said.

“So I’m the perfect mare for the job,” she said.

“Yes,” I replied.

She looked down and closed her eyes. When she opened them again, they were hard and her expression was colder.

“So, you want me to go scam some lowlifes? No problem,” she said.

I stared at her, mouth agape and head cocked to one side, “What was that?”

“You said you wanted a no nonsense pony, willing to get her wings back at any cost, well now you have her,” she said.

“I wasn’t aware that you could act,” I said.

“I’m falling back on some military experience, coupled with a little anger and a whole lot of purpose,” she said sharply.

“Can you turn it off at will?” I asked.

She closed her eyes and shook her head a few times.

“Not without drawing some attention,” she said in her normal softer tone.

“Good, now let’s go, Celestia will be hearing from Luna shortly and Ivy will have no doubt told the other guards about the commotion,” I said.

“Ok,” Silverwing said and we walked downstairs, passing Crystal’s sleeping form.

“I’ll leave a note, you go,” I said, and Silverwing left.

I left a note telling Crystal that Silverwing and I would be gone for a few days, and that she should not let anypony into the house, unless they were Ivy, Luna, or Celestia.

I went out and rode the lift up to the surface.

When I got to the throne room, everypony was already gathered there, even Soulless who had hidden himself somewhere in the rafters, everypony but Luna.

“Mixer, care to explain?” Celestia said, her gaze none too pleased.

“Yes, but where is Luna?” I asked.

“Right here,” she said, walking in with Sombra.

“I feared that there might be an attack on Luna as she was raising the moon, as it would be when she was the most exposed, and there was,” I said.

“He is right, I was attacked, but he saved me and brought me back,” Luna confirmed.

“Why didn’t you inform anypony that you would be following Luna?” Celestia asked.

“I didn’t want to overly concern you, and make it a hassle to Luna, or expend resources on nothing but a fear,” I said.

“Why do I get the feeling that you aren’t telling us everything?” Celestia questioned.

“Because, he did not want to alarm you by telling you all that I could have been killed had it not been for him,” Luna said.

“What?” the cry was echoed around the room.

“This organization, they wanted Luna for some kind of process where they steal a pony’s soul, and use it to augment their members,” I said.

“Then the threat is grave indeed,” Celestia said.

“That is why I have a plan to locate and eliminate them,” I said.

“And what plan is the?” Celestia asked.

“To have the old members of Silverwing’s squadron pose as ponies moving into Cloudsdale, and trying to mine information while undercover,” I said.

“Is that it?” Celestia asked.

“No, then we use the element of surprise to take them down before they have time to retaliate,” I said.

“How?” Celestia asked.

“With a surgical strike by Sombra and I. We are two of the strongest ponies at your disposal, without endangering you or Luna,” I said.

Celestia contemplated this for a moment before giving her answer, “Very well, proceed. But should anything happen, I want you to abort.”

“Thank you,” I said with a bow, “I shall inform Quicksilver and the others immediately.”

I sent a messenger to the Wonderbolts, where the old members of Silver Squadron now resided.

After that, I meet Silverwing and Soulless in a secluded spot.

“Ready?” I asked Silverwing.

She shifted to her persona and nodded.

“What about you?” I asked out loud.

“I’ve been ready since last night,” Soulless said, appearing next to me.

“What is he doing here?” Silverwing asked, her voice full of distaste.

“He’s going to help us take this organization down. He knows what their facility looks like, though not where it is. That’s where you come in,” I said.

“A pleasure to meet you on better terms Silverwing,” Soulless said.

She ignored him like wasn’t there and looked at me, “So how will I contact you?” she asked.

“I will be in Cloudsdale, posing as a bum. Don’t worry about finding me, I’ll find you,” I said.

“Shall we be off?” Soulless asked.

“Yes, we need to find them as fast as possible,” I said.

“But how are we going to get there? There are no flying trains, we can’t take a chariot, and none of us can fly,” Silverwing said.

“We can ride on a crystal,” I said, creating a board big enough for the three of us.

We flew while the sun was still rising and arrived in Cloudsdale before it was fully into the sky.

I let Silverwing off on the edge of a large cloud, serving as the main part of Cloudsdale.

“There is an unoccupied cellar at this address,” Soulless said, handing Silverwing a note.

“We’ll land somewhere else,” I said, and left her there.

“I take it you have a cloudwalking spell,” Soulless said.

“Take the board,” I huffed.

I cast the cloudwalking spell and the two of us landed on a cloud, springing back on the soft cloud.

I pulled a brown cloak from my saddlebag and swapped it with my armor.

“Take this and hide it somewhere,” I said.

“You’re not wearing any protection?” he asked, taking the armor.

“I never said that,” I said, making a crystal ‘skin’ that was protecting the vital parts of my body, hidden by the cloak.

I showed him a slightly blue crystal layer on my neck, that I could make fall back when I put my hood down.

“Crafty,” he said, and disappeared.

I put my hood up and walked into the town of cloud buildings, and pegasi residents.

I found an unassuming portion of street and sat myself down, looking like I was some kind of bum. Thankfully with my cloak, it would be hard to discern whether or not I was a pegasus, and most would not look closely enough to see my horn.

I occasionally asked a passerby to spare a few bits, and most just kept on their way, though a few did throw a bit or two my way.

As I sat there, observing the crowds I wondered how Silverwing was doing.
--

Silverwing looked for the address that Soulless had given her, and sure enough, a cellar was unlocked and unoccupied. She found that there were a few foodstuffs in a crate, and a bedroll hiding in a corner.

After eating a bit, and hefting the large bag of bits that I had given her, she went for a walk around town, to gauge her surroundings.

She made note of all the sleaziest looking establishments she could find, keeping them in mind for later.

After walking for most of the day, Silverwing was making her way back to the cellar, when a beggar approached her asking for a few bits.

“I can spare a couple of bits.” she said, reaching back for her pack.

“Silver, it’s me,” I whispered.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” she said out loud, “Let me check my other bag.”

“Soulless is looking for any ponies he recognizes from the organization, but so far nothing has come up,” I whispered.

“I took a walk around and have a few places I can check to see if I can get a contact,” Silver whispered. “Here you go,” she said out loud giving me two bits.

“Thank you,” I said.

She nodded and walked off.

I slipped the bits into my cloak and walked towards an alley to see if there were any others who I could pump for information.

I walked through the alley and found nothing, and the same with the next three alleys I checked, nopony in sight. When I walked through the fifth, I was stopped by a pegasus with a wide brimmed hat and a black jacket.

“You know, it’s not too safe to be wandering around back alleys,” he said, separating himself from the wall he was leaning against.

His lavender coat didn’t take away from his menace.

“I’m not looking for any trouble,” I said, head down slightly.

“Ah, but my friend, trouble has found you,” he said, and a blade slid from the sleeve of his jacket.

“You’re making a mistake,” I said, backing up.

“Ah, but see, again you are wrong,” he said smugly as I bumped into something solid.

I turned around and there was a unicorn mare, with ice blue eyes, and a minty green coat.

She smirked and a blade came from a group of bracelets she was wearing.

I felt the pegasus looming behind me and winced when he tried to pierce through my neck.

I gave him a buck before he could recover from the shock of impacting the crystal, and faced the mare.

“You didn't think you could hide your presence from us did you?” she asked in a seductive voice.

I prepared to fight my two assailants but a flicker of motion behind the mare told me that I didn’t have to worry.

I smiled at her as a heavy hoof came down on the back of her head, accompanied by the extended blade.

She collapsed and I turned around to see the pegasus was getting ready to take off. A quick crystal dart hit him in the wing, grounding him.

He cursed and tried to run, but he slammed into Soulless, as he turned to see if we were pursuing him.

I pulled him out of Soulless’s reach before he could bring his blade to bear on the pegasus, leaving his hat to get cut in two.

I restrained him with crystal and bound the two of them together.

“Are you trying to get yourself killed?” Soulless exclaimed, cuffing me on the back of the head.

“I knew you would have my back, and now you have two ponies to, ‘interview’,” I said, putting some emphasis on interview.

He sighed and said, “True enough,” and levitated the two with a smile, before teleporting away.
--

After returning to the cellar, Silverwing took some more food, and waited until nightfall, before heading out to go searching for an informant.

She went to a joint called the Thunderhead tavern, and was greeted by the smell of smoke and alcohol.

She looked around and was that she had made a good choice, thugs and lowlifes of all kinds were enjoying themselves. There were a few scarred pegasi playing pool in one corner, while a variety of characters were at the bar.

In one booth seat she saw a shifty looking, skinny pegasus, with a white jacket over his slightly yellow coat, looking around from behind mirrored sunglasses. His black hair was sticking up in a slightly slicked back look, and he had a toothpick hanging from his mouth, switching it from side to side.

Silverwing went to the bar and ordered some hard cider before slipping over to the booth.

“This seat occupied?” she asked.

“That all depends on who’s asking?” he said, looking up at Silverwing from behind his glasses.

“Somepony who might be looking for some help,” she said and slipped into the seat opposite of him.

He took off his glasses and put them in his jacket pocket, revealing golden yellow eyes, “What kind of help?”

She took a drink of the cider and resisted the urge to gag, “The kind of help that might be frowned upon by certain individuals,” she said.

“We’ll I might be able to help a sweetheart like yourself, given the right price,” he said, revealing a shining white set of teeth.

“You sure you can help with my problem?” she questioned, taking another gag inducing swig.

“That all depends on the nature of your problem,” he said, reclining in his seat, putting his hooves behind his head.

“I need some special help,” she said, putting emphasis on the word special.

“How special are we talking?” he asked leaning in.

“The kind of special that can fix a set of bum wings,” she said.

“Hmm, I don’t think you have enough to afford that kind of help,” he said.

She reached into her bag and slammed the heavy bag of bits on the table, turning some heads.

“I think this should cover it,” she said.

“I don’t think you understand me, the kind of help you’re looking for has a very high price,” he said.

Silverwing reached across the table and pulled him by the lapels of his jacket to her face.

“Listen you slime,” she growled, “I don’t care what it takes, you help me out, or I might just decide to paint the table a different color.”

She held him for a couple of seconds longer and then threw him back against his seat.

He straightened his jacket and slid the bag of bits over to his side of the table.

“Alright, I’ll see what I can do,” he said and got up and walked past to bar, throwing a couple of bits for the mess that Silver had made when she spilled the cider.

Silverwing took a deep breath and walked out, a few pairs of eyes following her.

She walked back to the cellar and unrolled the bed roll and tried to fall asleep.
--

I slept in an alley, Soulless keeping an eye out for any more of the order.

When I woke up, Soulless handed me a loaf of bread.

“Thanks,” I said, and quickly devoured me meager breakfast.

He just waved his hoof like it was nothing.

“So does this organization have a name?” I asked.

“A name? no, not really, but the facility has been dubbed ‘the rainbow factory’, because of the process of soul syphoning. When a pony has their soul syphoned is had a color to match their coat, thus the rainbow moniker,” he said.

“So, the rainbow factory...” I mumbled.

“Well, you should get going, Silver probably found something last night,” he said, and melted away into invisibility.

I got up, pulled my cloak tight around me, and set off to do my daily begging.
--

Back at the Canterlot castle, Celestia was reading a report from Quicksilver.

Princess,

We have spotted a few suspicious characters around, but we have not been able to find anything solid as of yet. Today we will start investigating the suspects.

Quicksilver

Celestia frowned, they should have been able to do something more than pick suspects.

The Lunar guard had doubled their shifts, and also had a guard for Celestia, leaving all but two on call at all times.

“Do we know where Mixer is?” she asked Trottson, who was one of the two Lunar guard that were with her.

“No,” Trottson said shaking his head.

“And Silverwing is gone too,” Phalanx said.

“Mixer, what are you planning?” Celestia whispered to herself.
--

“Spare a few bits?” I asked a passing pony.

“Get a job you bum,” he said as he passed.

“Lovely fellow, isn't he?” Silverwing asked walking up to me.

“Did you find anything?” I asked.

“Working on it,” she whispered. “I don’t have any bits today,” she said out loud.

She walked away and I was left to keep bumming.

Nothing happened on my end for the rest of the day, no attacks, no anything.
--

Silverwing was walking to get some more food for the cellar when she was approached by the contact she had met last night.

“Nice to see you again sweetheart,” she said.

“What do you want?” she snapped.

“It turns out that your request has been approved by my contacts,” he said.

“Oh?” Silverwing said, raising an eyebrow.

“Yes, they will contact you tomorrow,” he said and turned to walk away.

“You better not be stiffing me you,” Silverwing was cut off.

“Sweetheart, if I was stiffing you, I wouldn’t have bothered to say hello,” he said, and walked away.

Silverwing continued on to the market and bought enough food to last her until the next day.
When she returned to the cellar, she stored the food and thought about what her next move would be.
--

That night Celestia was just finishing some paperwork, when Luna walked in.

“Sister, there is something I have to tell you,” Luna said.

“What is it?” Celestia asked.

“It’s about Mixer. He and Silverwing have gone to Cloudsdale to try and find the organization personally. That is why he and Silverwing are missing,” she said.

“I feared that he might do something reckless like that,” Celestia said.

“What are you going to do?” Luna asked.

“You aren’t doing anything,” one of the royal guards

“What?!” Celestia asked, stunned.

Guards flooded into the room, all of them with spears and brandishing them at the two princesses and the Lunar guard members.

“You are all coming with us,” another said.

All throughout the castle, paid off guard had simultaneously held all the most important members hostage, even managing to get into my house and abduct Crystal.

By the time the sun was up, the castle was empty as a crypt.
--

It was day three of our investigation, and I would have to renew the cloudwalking spell if we didn’t find something soon.

“Mixer, it’s been too quiet,” Soulless said, appearing next to me.

“I know, that’s what worries me,” I said back.

“I saw a pony approach Silverwing yesterday, said something about a meeting today,” Soulless said.

“So we can move today then,” I said.

“Yes, but be careful, the leader is crafty, and she is ruthless,” Soulless said and disappeared again, leaving the word ruthless hang ominously in the air.
--

Silverwing was startled by the knock at the cellar door.

“Silverwing?” a unicorn in a fine suit asked.

“Yes?” she answered wearily.

“We are here to take you to a meeting, about your wings,” he said, and motioned out the door.

“Ok,” she said, and followed the Unicorn and his pegasus comrade, similarly dressed.

They walked through town, and they stopped at a double door set into the side of a building.

“Right this way,” the unicorn said, and opened the door.

Silverwing went inside and was greeted by a plain metal hallway.

“I take it that you understand the process that we do here,” the unicorn said, closing the door behind him.

“Yeah,” Silverwing said wearily.

“Then that makes our job much easier. follow me and we will get you to the augmentation chamber shortly,” he said.

Silverwing followed the unicorn, not knowing what to expect, just that they were trouble.
--

I Took another look through the alleys and was stopped by a well dressed unicorn and two pegasi.

“Ah, Mixer, it is good that we found you so soon,” he said calmly.

“What do you want?” I snorted, getting ready for a fight.

“Why, our mistress requests your presence,” he said.

“I think I’ll pass,” I said.

“Such a shame, we wouldn’t want to hurt the pretty princesses, or that fiery Ivy,” he said.

“You’re bluffing,” I spat.

“I wonder what Crystal would have to say about your reaction,” he said in a sympathetic tone.

“That’s impossible!” I said.

“It might be a lie, but are you willing to risk the lives of the bearers of the Elements?” he asked.

“You’re sick!” I said.

“No, sick is having to kill the Cutie Mark Crusaders, and we would like to prevent that,” he said.

“How?” I asked, the fight starting to sap out of me.

“Sombra yelled the same thing as he was brought in,” the unicorn said.

All the fire went out of me, leaving me with only despair.

“I’ll go,” I said quietly, head down.

“What was that? I couldn’t quite hear you,” he said.

“I’ll go with you,” I said, tears starting to form in my eyes.

“See, that wasn’t so hard. Oh, and don’t think that that sneak Soulless can help you, he is being dealt with,” he said, turning to go.

I fell in behind him and the two pegasi got on either side of me.

I was lead to a door, and was taken to a small metal room below the cloud level.

“Don’t try to escape. the room is magic proof, and any action you take could cause, unsavory consequences,” he said and locked the door.

I sat for what seemed like hours until I heard some commotion outside the door. Then it was silent.

I heard the sound of the lock turning and then the door lazily swung open, revealing the two guards that had been watching me laying on the floor.

“Well, are you going to just stand there or are you going to escape?” Soulless’s voice asked.

“If I escape, then they will hurt everypony,” I said dejectedly.

“I know you, and you don’t just give up,” he said, still invisible.

“But I can’t possibly win, they have everypony captive, and I can’t do anything or they will kill them,” I said, hanging my head.

“And you think that they won’t anyway? Sitting here sulking is not going to help them. Now are you going to suck it up and make a plan, or are you just going to give up?” he said, almost shouting.

I closed my eyes and started thinking.

“Can you make it look like the guards are still at their posts while concealing the bodies hidden in the cell?” I asked.

“Is Pinkie Pie hyper?” he countered and made the illusion so.

“Now, more than likely they will take me somewhere else, when they do they will probably put an inhibitor ring on me, I need you to make sure that it is removed when I need it to be,” I said.

“Now this is starting to sound promising,” he said.

“If i have to I’m going to take this whole facility out of the sky,” I growled, “If I do, I want you to make sure that everypony gets out safely.”

He became visible, a smile on his face, “Now that’s more like it,” he said and vanished.

I was going to make whoever did this pay.

In a while the unicorn came back and pulled me out of the cell.

“You are lucky, few ever get to meet our mistress,” he said, and fastened a ring on my horn.

He pulled my along down a series of corridors until we came to a large room, with a second story platform in plain view. On the platform was a throne, upon which a jet black unicorn mare sat, drinking some kind of blue emulsion from a wine glass. She was about the same size as Celestia, and she wore a princess’s adornments, all except a crown.

Her blood red eyes gazed down at me with a dark mirth.

“Ah, the guest of honor finally arrives,” she said, taking another drink of the strange substance.

On one side of the room, a procession of ponies were being forced into the room by large thugs. Celestia, Luna, Sombra, Twilight, Rarity, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie, Fluttershy, Vinyl and Octavia, the Lunar guard, the Cutie Mark Crusaders, and finally Crystal and Silverwing, all looked frightened and slightly beaten.

“Normally I would not be so foolish as to gloat, but seeing the situation, I will make an exception,” she said.

“Are you alright?” I called to my friends.

“Oh, for now, but you have much more important concerns,” the mistress said. “You have been an annoyance for some time Mixer, even before you were sent to Equestris.”

“Sent?” I questioned.

“Yes, I had you sent here, to get you out of the way, but my idiot brother showed his incompetence by failing to deliver you to the right location. His mistake ended up costing him his horn, but now I will fix his mistake,” she said.

“You mean that?” I started.

“Yes, Lucius is my younger brother, and you have proven to be a very stubborn thorn to be rid of. I assumed that you would have been killed on the ship by my brother’s lackey, but I was wrong, and now I will make you suffer before adding your power to mine,” she said, a wicked smile crossing her face.

She took another drink of the liquid before continuing.

“I will make you watch as all of your friends die, one by one, to feed my growing army. Now who to start with? Luna perhaps, making you watch as the princess you hold so dear has her soul ripped out. Or should I start with Crystal, and let you listen to her cries as you watch her slip away. Ah, I know, I will let you watch as Fluttershy is put on the table, crying for you to save her, watching as I use her soul to power up one of my captains, watching as the color drains from her,” she said, ending in evil maniacal laughter.

She motioned with her hoof and two of her goons moved closer to Fluttershy.

“You. You have committed the most monstrous of crimes. The most heinous of indecencies, and the most vile sadism. For that I. Will. END YOU!” I yelled as I felt the ring lift from my head and I sent the seed crystal pendant like an arrow straight through her heart.

She let out a grunt as she was forced to the back of her throne, then threw her head back in laughter.

“I am Serina, the most powerful being in all Equestria! This little nick will not stop me,” she said, and proceeded to allow the hole to close.

I used my magic and made the crystal grow into a three foot long spike, pinning her to the throne. She let out a scream of pain and looked at me with fury in her eyes.

Another scream of agony came as I made smaller spikes branch out inside of her, and coated her with crystal.

When the crystal was completely around her I created more crystal and made a full suit of armor out of it.

“Soulless, take them and go,” I growled, and created a blade out of the right gauntlet.

“Ok,” he said and ran over to them, undoing their bonds while I fought with the guards.

“Ok everypony, lets go, time for my good deed for the century,” he said and started to lead them out of the room and towards an exit.

“What about Mixer?” Crystal asked.

“He’ll be fine,” Soulless said, and picked her up with his magic, passing her to Silverwing.

I had created another blade on the left gauntlet and was carving through the guards, taking large cuts out of each, but some of them just got right back up.

It came down to one last guard, a maroon mare that looked around at the carnage and went weak in the knees.

I grabbed her and brought my blade up to her face.

“Tell me where the machine is!” I growled in her face, only my eyes showing through the crystal armor.

“Please don’t kill me, I’ll take you to the machine, and the prisoners,” she said and started to move down a hallway.

When we reached it, I ripped out part of the circuitry and it started a chain reaction, sending tremors through the facility.
--

“What was that?” Twilight cried when they were almost shaken off their feet.

“It sounded like the augmentation room was blown up,” Soulless said.

“Mixer,” Sombra said, more of a breath.

“Quickly, if he took that out the whole facility could explode,” Soulless said, and redoubled his pace.
--

“Are these all the prisoners?” I asked the mare.

“Yes, they’re all here,” she said, cowering.

There were about fifty ponies of all types, and they all looked defeated.

I created the beginnings of a protective crystal ball and told them to get in.

They all herded into it and I sealed it, ensuring that they would survive the explosion.

“What about us?” the mare asked.

I created an orb around her as well and left her in the orb that was just a little too small for her.

“Wait, I know a way that we can get out!” she cried.

“What way?” I demanded.

“Through the rainbow fall pipe, it should be able to fit them,” she said.

“Where is it?” I demanded.

“A few rooms over,” she said.

I used my magic to tear a hole in the wall to confirm that, feeling another strong tremor followed by a boom.

It was true, there was a pipeline that would carry them out, so I pulled them to it and told them to hang on, as I set the crystal into the stream of liquid rainbow.

I almost fell over as another tremor shook the facility.

I punched a crystal blade into the wall and started it on its way to covering the outer plating of the facility, protecting the surrounding clouds.
--

As the party neared the entrance, there was a sound of shearing metal and groaning supports. When they made it to the cloud surface, the non pegasi being held up by either magic or a pegasus.

As they looked back, the hallway they had just been occupying started to pull back into the cloud.

“MIXER!” Silverwing cried.

Celestia held her back.

“I know that he was dear to you, but putting yourself at risk will not help. The Wonderbolts will already be under the cloud inspecting the wreckage,” she said.

Silverwing and a few of the others started to cry as they could hear the metal crashing to the ground far below.
--

I staggered to my feet and felt a sharp pain in my side. A crystal shard was sticking out of my side. I used it as a medical patch and stopped the bleeding.

I looked at the ground around me and saw metal debris mixed with crystal shards and some of my blood. I felt my face and found a scar just below me right eye, running almost the full length of my face.

I survived the fall by using my armor as a cushion, but gravity had shattered it, leaving me bare.

I picked up a shard and started staggering to a nearby wood, leaving the destruction behind me, knowing that my work was not yet finished.
--

“What do you mean there is no trace?” Silverwing sobbed, shaking Spitfire.

“On the initial sweep we didn’t find any trace of a living pony, just the bodies of the order,” Spitfire said.

“He can’t be gone,” she said, still holding onto Spitfire.

“There is another more thorough search going on now,” Trottson said, trying to comfort her.

They waited while the first of the search teams reported back.

“Search team brave reporting,” a wonderbolt said saluting Spitfire and Celestia.

“What did you find?” Spitfire asked.

“We found some shattered crystal and a small pool of blood, but no trace of a body, or hoofprints,” he said, giving his report.

“Keep looking, and tell us if you find anything else,” Celestia said.

The Wonderbolt gave a slute and flew away.

Silverwing was sitting by herself on the ground, crying softly.

Fluttershy walked over to her and sat down next to her.

“Why? Why did he have to go and get himself killed?” Silverwing sobbed.

Fluttershy didn't say anything, only put her arms around Silverwing in a gentle hug.

“He was brilliant, he was going to work it all out, then he went and got himself captured,” Silverwing continued.

“Shh, don’t say any more,” Fluttershy said, calming Silverwing.

They both sat there, quietly crying for a few moments more until Luna and Sombra came over.

“I’m terribly sorry, both of you,” Luna said.

“Maybe if we had seen that so many of the guard had been turned, then maybe we could have prevented this,” Sombra said, hanging his head.

“It’s not your fault, none of us knew what they were capable of,” Celestia said, joining them.

“Even I didn’t think that they could take the entire castle in one night,” Soulless commented.

“Thank you Soulless,” Luna said.

“Excuse me?” he asked bewildered.

“If it weren’t for your help, I might have been killed before we even knew what was happening,” luna said.

“Mixer is the one you should thank, he did what I thought was impossible, he killed Serina,” Soulless said.

Fluttershy whimpered slightly, and Silverwing looked up at him, anger in her eyes.

“If you were so helpful, then why didn’t you help Mixer?” she questioned.

“He told me to make sure that all of you got out alive. He made that explicitly clear,” Soulless said.

“Both of you, stop it,” Fluttershy said.

“She’s right, we aren’t doing any good pointing hooves, and flinging accusations in grief,” Celestia said.

“We have to get back to the castle and return to our duties,” Luna said.

“Yes, we do have to see how much damage was caused while we were imprisoned,” Celestia said.

Celestia and Luna bid the others farewell and flew off to the castle.

“Has anypony seen Crystal?” Silverwing asked.

“She is over there,” Soulless said, pointing to the changeling sitting by herself, staring at the debris field.

Silverwing let go of Fluttershy and walked over to Crystal, sitting down next to her and looking out at the debris field.

It looked like a pile of twisted metal, all strewn about a large area. Here and there ponies could be seen sifting through the wreckage.

“He’s not gone is he?” Crystal asked.

“I don’t believe it. He would never leave us,” Silverwing said.

Author's Note:

Things taking a bit of a darker turn here.
I would like to thank my good friend Soulless, for helping me edit and come up with the story from here on out.
I apologize if this was a bit intense for some of you, only this chapter and the next will be dark and violent, at least for a long time.