• Published 17th Feb 2013
  • 1,313 Views, 68 Comments

The Mixer Chronicles - Mixer



A stranger in Equestria, Mixer tries to to make the best of his new life.

  • ...
6
 68
 1,313

Aftermath

The Mixer Chronicles

Book Twenty:
Aftermath

A few days after my return, and everything was back to being relatively normal, except for the fact that we now had an ex assassin hanging around the castle.

“Are you just going to follow me around for the rest of your life?” I asked Soulless.

“Do you have a better suggestion?” he asked.

“Well, you could join the Lunar guard,” I said.

“No thanks,” he said.

“You could get a job,” I suggested.

“And what job would you give me?” he countered.

“You could, oh, I don’t know, get married, have a family and kids, lead a normal life now, any of these sound viable?” I asked exasperated.

“Geez,” he said.

“You asked for suggestions,” I retorted. I sighed, “So what do you want?”

“I was kind of wondering what you’re going to do with me, you know, since you wiped out the rest,” he said.

“Well, I know you have an augmentation, but I won’t do anything about it now, it’s still a little too soon,” I said.

“Oh, thanks,” he said, and wandered away.

I went to the cavern and passed by the barracks.

“Hey, you coming tonight?” Ivy asked as I passed.

“Huh?” I asked.

“Did you really forget the party that’s being held for you?” she asked.

“Oh yeah, that’s right,” I said, remembering the party that Pinkie said she was going to throw.

“After two days of preparation, you better be there,” Ivy said, giving me a light punch on the shoulder.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be there,” I said, and continued towards the house.

“Tonight is going to be so fun!” Crystal exclaimed when I opened the door.

“Yes, I heard that all our friends will be there,” Silverwing said.

“And even some new friends,” Crystal said.

“Yeah, everypony is supposed to be there,” I said.

“And don’t forget, this is all for you, so relax and enjoy yourself,” Silverwing said.

“Don’t worry,” I said.

“Of course I’m going to worry, you’re being a stick in the mud,” Silverwing joked.

“Well, tonight I promise to cut loose,” I said.

“You better,” she said and went into the other room.

“So what about that other pony?” Crystal asked.

“I don’t know. He seems like a good person, but he keeps a distance from everypony,” I said.

“I think he’s lonely,” Crystal said.

“Well, he has at least one friend,” I said.

“That’s something...” she said.

“I think by now you don’t need to use your disguise, unless you want to,” I said.

“Ok,” she said.

“I’m going to check on something,” I said.

“Don’t take too long,” Silverwing shouted from the other room.

“I won’t” I said and left.

“So where are you off to?” Ivy asked when I passed the barracks.

“I’m going to check up on the surface, I haven’t been up there for over a day,” I said.

She fell into step behind me.

“About Soulless...” she said.

“What about him?” I asked.

“Well he seems kind of... well, odd,” she said.

“He probably isn’t used to this kind of peace,” I said. “He has been in that organization for some time.”

“I know, but it seems like something else,” she said.

“What do you mean?” I asked as we got on the lift.

“I mean, are you sure it’s a good idea to keep him around?” she asked.

“I think it would be a bad idea not to,” I said.

“There’s something about him that bothers you too isn’t there?” she asked.

“He has an augmentation, and I’m sure Celestia will want me to do something about it,” I sighed.

“You mean?” she asked.

“Yes, he has the soul of a pony enhancing his abilities,” I said.

“So what are you going to do?” she asked.

“Nothing until Celestia tells me to,” I said.

“So you exterminated all the others, but are letting him live?” she accused.

“Yes,” I bit back. “I know that he can redeem himself, he just needs a push in the right direction.”

“If you say so,” she conceded.

We rode the rest of the way up the lift and when I looked out the window I could see that it was getting late in the afternoon.

“I didn’t realize it had gotten so late,” I said.

“Yeah, the party will be starting in another hour or so,” Ivy said.

We went into the hall where the bulk of the part would be held.

“Yey Mixer!” Vinyl shouted from the Mobile party, now parked at one end of the hall with a dance floor in front of it.

“Hey Vinyl,” I called back.

“Here to check up on the decorations?” Pinkie asked, landing in front of me, wrapped in streamers.

I held back a giggle, “Yes. Do you need a hoof?” I asked.

“Nope! Just have to reload the party cannon,” she said.

“Did you try to ride it again?” Ivy asked facehoofing.

“How did you know?” she asked trying to untangle herself.

“Here,” I said, using my magic to free her from her colorful bindings.

“Thanks!” she said, moving back over to her cannon.

“Fire in the hole!” Ivy said.

I ducked as a blast of streamers and other decorations came flying from the cannon.

“Nailed it!” Pinkie exclaimed.

“Well, it does look nice,” I said.

“Oh, this is noin, wait till I get the tunes on, then the light show begins,” Vinyl said.

“I can’t wait,” I said.

“Well, you’ll have to, were not ready yet,” Pinkie said, wheeling away the party cannon.

“Oh my...” I said.

“I think you have some prepping of your own,” Ivy said.

“Wha?” I asked, as she started pushing me away.

“You haven’t talked to Luna and Sombra since you got back. They were concerned for you, but thought it was better to let you come to them when you were ready,” she said once we were out of the hall.

“Oh yeah...” I trailed off.

“Are you sure you are ok? you seem to be forgetting an awful lot of things,” she said.

“Sorry,” I apologized.

“What for?” she asked.

“For everything I guess,” I said.

“Look at me,” she commanded, turning me around. “You didn’t do anything wrong,” she said firmly.

“No, I did, but everypony is acting like it’s nothing,” I said.

“That’s because what you did was for all of Equestria. If you hadn’t then somepony else would have had to, otherwise they would have come back,” she said, searching my eyes.

“I still don’t know how you can look at me the same way,” I said, turning my head away.

“Because, this scar, what you did, they don’t change who you are. To us you will always be our friend, Mixer,” she said.

“I might be the same to you, but that doesn’t make me feel any different about it,” I said.

She sighed, exasperated, “Why do you always beat yourself up whenever you do something heroic? It’s like you can’t stand to be a hero!”

“Did I ever say that I wanted to be a hero?” I countered.

“Then why do you continue to save the day and become famous and beloved? If you don’t want to be a hero, then why did you try to stop Discord? Why did you help defeat Chrysalis before the wedding? Why did you turn Sombra good? Why did you discover Saddle Arabia? Why did you form the Lunar Guard? Why did you,” I put my hoof up to her mouth, her eyes watering.

“Please. I know what I’ve done, and what I will continue to do, but what I don’t want to do is make you cry,” I said softly.

“You just so difficult sometimes,” she said.

“I’m sorry, but I’ll make it through. I always get over it,” I said, giving her a weak smile.

“If you say so...” she said.

“Now, let’s go say hi to Luna,” I said.

“Yeah...” she said.

I sighed, “Listen, I’ll be alright, so... can you give me a smile?”

She gave a weak smile.

“That’s better, now let’s go see what Sombra has to say,” I said and led the way onward.

“Mixer, go ahead,” Trottson said when we got to the door.

“Hello?” I called poking my head in the door.

I immediately felt the pull of magic and found myself face to face with Sombra, who was sizing me up.

“Looks like you finally decided to get some fresh air,” he said.

“Well I can’t stay down there forever, now can I?” I said.

“And you even look cooler,” he said.

“What you mean this thing?” I asked indicating my scar.

“Yeah, now nopony will mess with you,” he said.

“Aw you know I’m still just as much a softie as you,” I said.

He got his arm around my neck and started giving my a playful nuggie.

“Are you two are done playing yet?” Luna asked, hiding a smile.

“One moment honey,” he said, as I slipped out from his grasp.

“That’s enough of that,” I said, straightening my disheveled mane. “So, what’s up?” I asked.

“Other than the party, nothing,” Luna said.

“Oh, ok,” I said.

“Ok? There’s a huge party getting ready for you and all you can say is ok?” Sombra questioned.

“Everypony seems to be telling me that,” I sighed.

“Maybe because it’s true,” Luna said.

I sighed heavily, “Why is everypony expecting such a reaction out of me?”

“Because! This whole thing is for you, and you are the only one who doesn’t seem excited about it,” Sombra said.

“I know I might not seem excited about it now, that’s because I have a lot on my mind. But don’t worry about me, when I actually get to the party I know I’ll be a lot happier about it,” I assured him.

He held me with an unsure look for a few moments.

“He’s right, we shouldn’t push him so hard,” Luna said.

He sighed, “I know, I’m sorry,” he said.

“It’s alright, I know you are just concerned for me, and I appreciate that, but it’s kind of awkward having everypony fretting over me,” I said.

“I understand,” he said.

“So, how are you going to kill time until the party starts?” Luna asked.

“I might as well talk to everypony. I haven’t been the most talkative since I got back,” I said.

“That sounds like a fine idea,” Luna said cheerfully.

“Well, I’ll leave you two to prepare then,” I said, and walked out.

“So, what did they have to say?” Ivy asked.

“About the same as you,” I said.

“I take it they told you to loosen up too?” she asked.

“Yes,” I sighed, “And so I told them I would go talk to everypony to pass the time.”

“And are you?” she asked.

“Yes, I do still keep my promises,” I said.

We walked to the section of the castle that Twilight and her friends were staying in, and I started looking for ponies I had yet to talk to.

We ran into Applejack first, who was going to meet Rarity to talk about the plans for the party.

“Well howdy Mixer, you fellin any better?” she asked.

“Yeah, I’m feeling alot better thanks,” I said.

“Y’know, I never did thank you properly for saving us, especially my little sister,” she said.

“You know you don’t have to, I,”

“No, I have to thank you, otherwise it won’t feel quite right,” she said.

“You’re welcome Applejack,” I said.

“So what’s up?” she asked.

“Just trying to talk to everypony to pass the time until the party,” I said.

“Well, I was just headin of to go meet Rarity, you can come along two. Both of you,” she said.

We followed her down the hall and into a room that was full of dresses and outfits.

“Oh dear. Should I wear this one? No, to formal. This one? No no no, it simply would match. This one?” Rarity was talking to herself.

“Uh, Rarity?” Applejack said.

“Hm, what is it dear?” Rarity asked through the clutter.

“It’s just a party, it’s not like you’re going to the Gala,” she said.

“A lady must always look her best,” Rarity said back, going through another rack.

“Excuse me one second Mixer,” Applejack said to me before diving into the racks.

“Oh! Ow ow ow, that’s my mane!” Rarity cried as Applejack pulled her out from the forest of racks.

“Sorry about that,” Applejack said.

“What was so important that... oh Mixer! I’m sorry, if I had know you were coming I would have prepared something for you,” she said, looking around.
“It’s quite alright Rarity,” I chuckled.

“Are you sure?” she asked. “I’m sure I could find something if you wanted.”

“I’m fine, really. I just wanted to drop by and say hi, maybe find out what’s up,” I said.

“Oh, well, I was just trying to pick out a suitable ensemble to wear to the party,” she said.

“It’s not a formal affair, you can just come as you are,” I said.

“Oh I simply couldn’t,” she said.

“Nonsense, you’ll be among friends, and you don’t have to feel obligated to dress up just on my account,” I said.

“Are you sure?” she asked.

“You’ll be fine,” I insisted.

“Alright, if you say so,” she said dubiously.

“I’ll see you two later,” I said, waving as I left the crowded room.

“Wow,” Ivy said.

“What?” I asked

“You totally changed since you talked with Luna and Sombra,” she said.

“Like I told you before, I’ll get over it, and I’m already working on it,” I said.

“I’m glad that you are starting to get back to your old self,” she said.

“The party hasn’t even started,” I said.

“So who do you want to talk to next?” she asked.

“I bet you that Twilight is in the library,” I said.

“To Twilight it is,” Ivy said.

We went to the library wing and we found Rose and Starshine practicing spell outside of the library.

“Rose, you need to concentrate more. Don’t lose your focus,” Twilight said.

“I don’t understand this at all,” Star Shine huffed.

“What’s the matter, having a little trouble casting a new spell?” I asked.

“It’s not my fault that the explanation doesn't make sense,” he grumbled.

“It might make more sense if you payed attention,” Twilight said. “Look, your sister has it already.”

Rose had used the spell while we were talking and now there was a small bundle of bandages laying on the ground.

“Item synthesis? Isn’t that a little advanced Twilight?” I asked.

“It’s not quite synthesis, more like transmutation,” she said.

“That sounds a little more in the skill range,” I said.

“Maybe for you,” Star Shine said.

“Hey, everypony learns at different rates,” I said.

“That’s right,” Twilight said.

“So it’s alright if you don’t get it Star,” Rose said, giving him a pat on the shoulder.

“Yeah, it’s just frustrating,” he said.

“So Mixer, what’s up?” Twilight asked.

“Just wanted to say hi, see what’s up,” I said.

“Well, I was just helping Rose with a spell that she was trying to learn,” Twilight said.

“I wanted to be able to help if somepony got hurt,” Rose said, wrapping up the bandages.

“By the way, Ivy have you noticed anything strange?” I asked, sighing inwardly.

“No, why?” she asked.

I picked took one of the bandages and flung it in a seemingly random direction.

“What was that for?” Rose asked as the bandage flew through the air.

“To check a hunch,” I said as it stopped in mid air.

“What?” they all chorused as the bandage seemed to just hang in mid air.

“How long have you been following me?” I sighed.

“How did you even notice?” I shocked voice said.

“Because, you didn’t silence yourself,” I said, as Soulless came out of his invisibility, frowning.

“Why were you following us?” Ivy demanded.

“I got bored,” he said with a shrug.

“Well, do you think you can ask before tagging along next time?” I asked.

“Now what fun would that be?” he asked.

“Then maybe Rainbow Dash wouldn’t land on top of you,” I said, smirking.

“Wha-”

Rainbow Dash, who had been doing some maneuvers, came in for a landing and happened to land right on top of him.

“Whoops, didn’t see you there,” she said, picking him up off the ground.

He proceeded to dust himself off, instead of addressing Rainbow Dash.

“Hey what's with you, can’t talk or something?” she prodded.

“I usually don't appreciate it when pegasi use me as a landing pad,” he snorted.

“Well maybe you should watch out next time,” she retorted.

“You’re the one who blindsided me,” he said cooly.

“Well you were invisible until just a few seconds ago,” I commented.

“You’re not helping,” he grumbled.

“Well you were following us without permission,” I said.

“Still not helping,” he said.

“Can somepony tell me what’s going on here?” Rainbow Dash asked while Soulless and I continued our little engagement.

“Hay if I know,” Star Shine said.

“Soulless was following us around,” Ivy said.

“Oh, so he was being a sneak,” Rainbow Dash said.

“I was not!” he protested.

“But you were, by definition, sneaking,” I said.

“Shut up,” he said.

“Are you two just about finished squabbling?” Twilight questioned.

“Oh, I was just having a little fun,” i said.

“Fun in whose perspective?” Soulless retorted.

“So, you ready for the party?” Rainbow Dash asked me.

“Of course, it is for me after all. What kind of pony would I be if I missed my own party?” I said.

“The-” Soulless began.

“Don’t finish that statement,” I said, cutting him off.

“Well, I’ll see you there I guess,” Rainbow said and walked off.

“See you later Dash,” I called as she left.

“So what now?” Ivy asked.

“You take Soulless back to, wherever, and I’ll go finish up,” I said.

“Alright,” she said.

“Joy,” Soulless said sarcastically.

“I’ll see all of you later,” I said to Twilight, Rose, and Starshine as I left.

I had only Fluttershy to talk to, and probably Octavia since Vinyl was there.

I went to the first place that fluttershy would be, the gardens.

When I got to the gardens I saw that it was mostly empty, except for a grounds keeper.

“Hey, have you seen a yellow pegasus with a pink mane around here?” I asked him.

“Nope, no pony fitting that description,” he replied.

“Thanks,” I said and headed off to search the rest of the castle.

I searched everywhere, but I could not manage to find her.

I wandered back to the garden, and found Octavia and her group practicing.

“Octavia, what are you doing here?” I asked.

“We will be providing the musical entertainment until Vinyl gets going,” she said.

“Oh. Well, have you seen Fluttershy around?” I asked.

“Hmm, no, not that I can recall,” she said.

“Oh... thanks anyways,” I said, and wandered away.

I walked back to the lift and rode it down to the cavern.

I walked past the barracks and it was empty.

“I actually want to talk, and now everypony is nowhere to be found,” I said to myself.

“Yeah, don’t you just hate it when that happens,” Soulless said.

I jumped, “I should really just expect you to do that by now,” I sighed.

“Well, you can’t expect everything,” he said.

“Do you know where everypony is?” I asked.

“Yeah, why?” he asked.

I gave him a look, “You never make things easy do you?”

“Why make things easy when this is so much more fun,” he said.

“Well, where are they?” I asked.

“Most of them have already gone up to the surface, getting ready for the party and whatnot,” he said.

“Then what are you doing down here?” I asked.

“Waiting for you,” he said.

“And how did you know that I would come down here?” I asked.

“I didn’t, but I was told to make sure you didn’t try to sneak away down here to avoid the party,” he said.

“By who?” I questioned.

“Give you three guesses,” he said.

I sighed, “Just tell me.”

“I said guess,” he said.

“Ivy?” I huffed.

“Nope,”

“Sombra?” I asked.

“Wrong again,”

“I give up,” I said.

“You sure? you still have one more guess,” he said.

“Just tell me,” I groaned.

“None other than the one you are looking for,” he said.

“Fluttershy?” I asked, my mouth dropping open.

“Her and Silverwing,” he said.

“What!?” I exclaimed.

“Yeah, I’m just kidding, Celestia was the one who told me to make sure you attended. Though why I actually listened to her is a mystery,” he said.

“You idiot!” I yelled as I smacked him on the head.

“Ow. Though I suppose we are even now,” he said.

I sighed, “If only you weren’t so stubborn, then you would fit right in.”

“I do have a question though, what is Rainbow Dash like?” he asked.

The question caught me off guard.

“Well, she’s a little over confident, loud, rowdy, a little selfish at times, but a good friend and a great flier. Why?” I asked.

“Oh no reason,” he said.

I could have sworn I saw his eyes roll behind his sunglasses.

“Anyway, we should get going, the party is going to start soon,” I said.

“You go on ahead,” he said.

“Oh no, you’re going too,” I said, “Even if I have to drag your invisible flank there, you’re going.”

“Force won’t be necessary,” he said, and turned invisible.

“And how do I know you won’t just walk away?” I asked.

“Because, if you think I’m not there, then it will be all the funnier if I trip you,” he said.

“You better not,” I said, and walked towards the lift.

We rode up the lift and were greeted by Thunderlane, now out of his armor and ready to relax.

“Oh hey, you better get going, don’t want to miss the party,” he said.

“I was just on my way there,” I said.

I walked through the castle and noticed that the sun was setting.

“The day’s ending...” I said wistfully.

“But with tomorrow will come a new day,” Soulless said.

“And a new beginning...” I whispered.

“What was that?” he asked.

“Oh, nothing,” I said, and continued on.

When we got to the hall, ponies were starting to filter in, mostly just friends, but also some of the regular guards.
Celestia and Luna were the last to enter and then there was the sound of a mic turning on.

“Welcome everypony!” Pinkie said over the mic on the Mobile party.

“Are you ready to party!” Vinyl said.

“Let’s get this party started!” Pinkie said, and music started playing from the large speakers.

“So much for our group,” Octavia sighed.

“At least you got to play at all,” I said.

“I suppose that’s true,” she said.

“This is something to make me smile, I haven’t seen you in quite a while,” Zecora said.

“Zecora, how have you been?” I asked.

“I am fine, nothing wrong, but tell me friend, why have I not seen you in so long?” she asked.

“I have been busy, as you might have heard. When a new country comes around it causes quite a stir,” I said.

“Yes I see, now how have you been?” she asked.

“Honestly, I’ve been better, but I think this party will help,” I said.

“It saddens me that you’ve been blue, now tell me about your new friends, two,” she said.

“Three actually,” Soulless said.

“Deary me, now there’s three? Are there more surprises for me?” she asked.

“This is Soulless, he helped us recently,” I said.

“Helped you out did he now? Now to that I’ll have to bow,” she said.

“And the other two are Silverwing and Crystal,” I said.

“For that one, there needs explaining, for is she not one of the changelings?” Zecora said.

“Daughter of Chrysalis in fact, but she is good, unlike her mother,” I said.

“Good or not, we shall see, but for now let us party,” she said, and made her way to the dancefloor.

“Aren’t you going to join her?” Soulless asked.

“Not yet, I think I’ll see if there are any refreshments to be had,” I said and made my way to a table that had been set up and covered in all sorts of goodies, including some apple cider.

Rainbow Dash was partaking of the cider, and going through the cups like it was nothing.

“Whoa, slow down there RD, otherwise you’ll get sick,” Applejack said.

“I’ve waited so long to taste this cider,” she paused to give out a belch, “and I’m going to enjoy it,” she said, downing another mug.

I pulled a mug away with magic as she reached for it.

“Hey,” she protested.

“Heh, I think you can stand to share one mug of cider,” I said, taking a few swallows.

“Yeah, save some for the rest of us,” Applejack said.

“But it’s so good,” she complained.

“All the more reason to save some for us,” Trottson said, swiping his own mug.

“Hey,” Rainbow complained, trying to snatch back the mug.

"Mmm, this is good,” Trottson said, keeping Rainbow away with one hoof.

“Is it really that good?” Ivy asked, taking a mug.

“Yep,” I said, and finished my mug.

“RD, I think you should just give up, the more of a fuss you make, the more ponies come over here,” Applejack said.

Rainbow Dash groaned and took a mug for herself before leaving the table.

“Thanks, I don’t know how I woulda gotten her to stop without ya,” Applejack said.

“No problem,” I said, and went towards the dance floor.

I let the music wash over me and danced like I didn’t care for a while, then went off to the side after a bit.

“You sure do have some moves,” Spitfire said walking up to me.

“Really?” I huffed.

“Yeah, you usually party this hard?” she asked.

“I usually don’t party at all,” I said.

“Could have fooled me,” she said, then walked off.

I took the time to look around the hall. There was some kind of contest going on at the snack table. The dance floor was full, Luna and Sombra taking up a significant amount of space. Groups of ponies talking here and there. Celestia was talking with Twilight, no doubt something about what Twilight has experienced.

All throughout the room I found everyone of my friends. Rarity was talking with Fancy Pants, Silverwing was talking with Quicksilver and the old members of her squad, Crystal was having fun with the CMC, the Lunar guard were sprinkled around the room, enjoying themselves, even Soulless was visible, leaning against a wall, levitating a mug of cider. The only pony I couldn’t see was Fluttershy.

“Where could she be?” I asked out loud.

“Where could who be?” a soft voice said.

“O-oh, Fluttershy, I, uh, didn’t see you there,” I said awkwardly.

“So who were you looking for?” she asked.

“Um, actually, I was looking for you,” I said.

“Oh,” she said.

“Yeah...” I said, rubbing the back of my head.

“What did you want?” she asked.

“I wanted to talk to you,” I said.

“What did you want to talk about?” she asked.

“Can we go someplace a little quieter?” I asked.

“Sure, the garden should be fairly quiet,” she said.

We left the hall and went to the garden, where the stars and moon gave enough light to see by and the music was much quieter.

“So what did you want to talk about?” she asked.

“I wanted to talk about, us,” I said.

“Us?” she asked.

“Yeah, us,” I said.

“What about us?” she asked.

“I... I don’t think it’s a good idea for you to be around me anymore,” I said, tears starting to form in my eyes.

“What?” she asked shocked.

“I... I don’t want to see you get hurt, and every time we spend time together, you get hurt,” I choked out.

“That’s not true,” she protested.

“But it is,” I said, tears flowing freely now. “When we first got together, Chrysalis attacked and threatened you. When we got back together again, Discord stole my emotions. When you were in Saddle Arabia, you were in danger. Even when we were in New Pegisopolis... I thought I lost you. Then with Serina. I never want something to happen like that ever again,” I said, trying to make my words clear through my tears.

“But...” she said.

“This is already hard enough, please,”I said.

She looked at me with sad eyes.

“Know that no matter what, I will always love you,” I said, and turned to go.

I heard her start to cry as I walked away, a sound that tore my heart with every soft sob.

I went to a deserted part of the castle and found a balcony to sit on.

I sat there, crying and staring up at the stars for what seemed like hours.

“Mixer?” a voice called from inside the doorway to the balcony.

“Go away Luna,” I said.

“She’s not the only one here,” Silverwing said.

“I just want to be alone right now,” I said.

“But we’re worried about you,” Ivy said.

“How many of you are there?” I asked.

“Just us three,” Luna said.

I sighed, looking back at them.

“We’re sorry,” Silverwing said.

“Why? It’s my fault,” I said, hanging my head.

There was silence for a few seconds.

“Don’t blame yourself,” Ivy said, walking closer.

“There’s no one else to blame,” I said.

“That’s not true,” Silverwing said.

“Yes it is. I made the decision,” I said.

Ivy put her arms around me.

“Stop talking like that,” she said softly.

I couldn’t hold back a fresh wave of tears.

Luna walked over and put her hoof on my shoulder.

I looked up at her through blurry eyes.

“We are here for you,” she said gently.

“Thank you,” I said.

After a few seconds of silence I got a hold of myself.

“How is she?” I asked.

“About the same as you,” Silverwing said.

“Some party this turned out to be,” I said.

“You enjoyed it for awhile,” Ivy said, letting me go.

“Yeah, I did,” I sighed.

“You are strong, you will get over this,” Luna said.

“In time, yes,” I said.

I noticed that the music stopped and that the lights were dimming.

“Looks like the party is over,” I said.

“Get some rest, maybe you’ll feel better in the morning,” Luna said.

“I doubt it, but some rest does sound good,” I said with a yawn.

“Let’s go,” Silverwing said, leading me away with Ivy.

We walked back to the lift and rode back down in silence, Silverwing with one wing draped around me.

Ivy went into the barracks while we went to the house.

When we opened the door, we saw that Crystal had only gotten as far as the couch, before laying down and falling asleep.

“She’s so young and pure,” I said, “Not touched by disappointment or pain.”

“Hey, it’s going to be ok, alright,” Silverwing said.

“Yes, sorry,” I said.

“Is that you dady?” Crystal said sleepily.

“Yes, it’s me,” I said.

“I’m sleepy, she said.

“Then let’s get you to bed,” I said tenderly.

I picked her up with my magic and laid her across my back.

Silverwing just smiled as Crystal yawned.

I carried her up the stairs and to her room, where I laid her in the bed and tucked her it.

“Good night,” I said softly, before closing the door.

“I thought you got embarrassed when she called you ‘daddy’?” Silverwing asked.

“I’ll let her tonight,” I said, and went to my own room.

I laid down and fell asleep, thinking about what I would do now.

Author's Note:

Next book an old friend will come back to lighten the mood.
I'll give you three guesses to who it is.