• Published 17th Feb 2013
  • 1,312 Views, 68 Comments

The Mixer Chronicles - Mixer



A stranger in Equestria, Mixer tries to to make the best of his new life.

  • ...
6
 68
 1,312

Shadows of the Past part 3

The Mixer Chronicles

Book Seventeen:
Shadows of the Past
Part 3

In Equestria the ponies from the three ships, the Magestic, Dawn Treader, and Exodus, were trying to enjoy themselves in Las Pegasus.

Some of them were able to cut loose and have a decent time, but most of them were uncomfortable around so many foreign ponies, despite how nice they were trying to be.

Vinyl had heard about the situation, and decided that she would see if these new ponies would like her music.

Since the time that I created the Mobile Party for her, she had gotten a much larger fanbase and was getting more money. She used some of that extra money to buy a blimp, and now used it as her own personal party yacht.

There were mixed reactions from all the ponies in Las Pegasus when the large white balloon with a record on either side, came floating in sporting a gondola studded with large speakers.

“Hey everypony! This is DJ Pon3 here, bringing you some fresh beats to lighten the mood and lift those spirits,” she said over the mic of her airship.

She started playing upbeat music while she headed to the docks to allow for the ponies to make use of the gondola’s dancefloor.

Octavia was going along for the ride, bringing her cello, since it now served as a great crowd control implement being indestructible.

While Vinyl was busy getting her party on, Octavia decided to talk to some of the more down ponies.

“It just stinks that the rest of them got to go home while the rest of us are stuck here,” one of them said to her.

“Feeling homesick?” she asked.

“Yeah,” another replied.

Octavia asked a few more and got similar responses.

She went back to the party blimp and told Vinyl what was troubling the ponies.

“Homesick? Why didn’t you say so, let’s get you ponies back home!” she said, her voice blasting over the speakers of the Mobile Party, which fit nicely onto the deck of the blimp.

“But there’s a magical storm blocking the way home,” one of them said.

“I’ll get you there,” she said.

“But the airship can’t handle a storm!” Octavia said.
“Screw that noise, I’m Vinyl Scratch!” she said, and told
the Pegisopolis ponies to get ready to go home.

They all got onto their ships, not knowing what to think of this.

They started towards the storm belt and soon Vinyl could see the dark clouds on the horizon.

“Ok everypony, I’m gonna have to drop the bass on this one, so you might want to cover your ears,” she said as she powered up the Mobile Party.

She waited until the winds started picking up to fire both bass cannons into the heart of the cloud bank in front of them.

Twin beams of sound split the clouds, pushing them aside, until there was a path through them.

Vinyl could hear cheers from the ships below as they moved forward, and she cranked the music to eleven to keep up the energy.

Vinyl would have to fire the bass cannons a few more times on the journey but she would end up making it with everypony intact, except for maybe some slight hearing issues.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke from my nice dreams and saw five ponies standing and sitting around the room.

“What are you guys doing here?” Silverwing asked.

Some of them looked down while others looked around but only one kept his eyes locked with hers.

“Bad news I’m afraid,” he said.

“What news?” I asked.

He gave a deep sigh, “You princess Luna and the others have been arrested for the attempted poisoning of the king,” he said.

“What?!” I asked.

“Luna was talking with the king when he fell over doubled just after taking a drink of wine. One of the Lunar guard fled from the room, bursting back in with Thunder Blitz hot on his trail. He handed something to Ivy before Blitz tackled him. The king took whatever it was from her and he ended up getting better, but they still think that was an unrelated act,” he said, visibly enraged by the situation. “All it took was Blitz’s accusations to cement the case against them.”

My mouth hung open, “This can’t be happening,” I said, breaking down.

“Why are you telling us this now?” Silverwing asked.

“Because, the guards are on their way to bring you two in,” he said, as we heard hoovesteps thunder up the stairs towards the room.

“Stand aside,” a guard said and pushed the others back form Silverwing and I.

“But they aren’t fit to move yet,” a nurse said.

“Then move them in the beds,” he said.

“Quicksilver, don’t do anything stupid, let us handle this,” Silverwing said as they wheeled us out.

“Yes mam,” the stallion said grudgingly.

They took us outside and loaded us onto a waiting airship.

“You two will be taken into custody and questioned about your involvement with the recent attempt on the king’s life,” the head guard said.

We stayed silent as we took off and headed towards the capitol.

The airship was not too fast but was eating up the miles as we passed open prairies and the occasional farm.
There was a shaking in the ship and then there were shouts coming from below decks.

I could see that this wasn't part of the plan and shielded both Silverwing and I with crystal before a large bang shook the ship and fire started spewing from a gaping hole in the side of the deck below us.

I could see the terrified look of the captain as the rest of the ship burst into flame and another explosion shook the ship.

The flaming hulk of the ship suddenly lurched and started falling towards the earth, the helium now escaping from the burnt envelope.

I almost blacked out when we hit the ground but keep me consciousness and lowered the crystal barrier that had protected us from the crash.

We pulled ourselves from the burning wreckage and looked back as it belched smoke.

“What about the others?” Silverwing asked.

I looked back, “You don’t think anypony survived that do you?” I asked.

She gave me a look and I coated myself with a thin layer of crystal and went back to check for any survivors.

I only found one that was still breathing, and that was the captain.

I pulled him out and left him laying on the grass away from the wreckage, now starting to collapse in on itself.

I went back to Silverwing who was sitting on the grass waiting for me.

“We need to leave the area,” she said.

“Where would we go?” I asked.

“There’s a farm not too far from here,” she said.

“Let’s get moving then” I said and we started walking to the north, where a small farmhouse was resting on a hillside.
It took us longer to walk there then if we were at full strength, but we made it there before dark and snuck into the barn to get some rest.

“It’s just you and me now,” she said.

“Yeah, two ponies against the world,” I replied, rolling over on a pile of hay.

“One of which can’t even use her wings,” Silver said.

“Things don’t look too good,” I said.

“Then get some sleep, maybe things will look better in the morning,” she said.

I made myself comfortable as I could on the course hay and fell asleep.

That night my dreams were plagued by images of my friends all trapped in cages, calling out for me.

We were woken by the shouts of a colt.

“Pa! There’s a couple ah strangers in the hayloft,” she called.

“Are you pullin my leg again junior?” an annoyed voice answered.

“Nuh uh, I saw em up there,” the colt said.

“Show me,” the voice said.

“We didn't try to hide, seeing as how that would only hurt our situation so we just sat up and waited until a brown head topped with a straw hat popped up and addressed us.

“Now what in tarnation are you doin in mah hayloft?” he questioned.

“We’re sorry mister, we just needed a place to rest for the night,” Silverwing said.

“Well shoot, all ya had ta do was ask,” he said.

“See I told ya they was up here,” the colt said.

“I can see that now,” he said. “You look like you’re hurtin miss,” he said to Silverwing.

“I’ll be fine,” she said.

“And what ‘bout you son, you alright too?” he asked me.

“Nothing that time won’t fix,” I said.

“I see, well, why don’t you two come down and tell old Hayseed what’s yer trouble,” he said.

“That sounds gracious of you but we need to get going,” I said.

“And where would y’all be heading off two in such a hurry lookin like that?” he asked.

“We have to get to New Pegisopolis,” Silverwing said.

“Ah, lookin to get to the big city. What fer?” he asked.

“My friends need help,” I said.

“Well shoot, you can't rightly leave yer friends out to dry now can ya,” he said.

“No, so thank you for the use of your barn, but we must get going,” I said.

“Now hold on there pardner, I can’t just let you walk out without some kinda help,” he said.

“I don't think you want to help us more than you already have, the guards are looking for us,” Silverwing said.

“So you two are on the lamb?” he asked.

“In a manner of speaking,” I said.

“Well, ah’m just a simple farmer and ah don’t know nothin about no escapees,” he said with a grin on his face.

“Thank you,” Silverwing said.

“Mah pleasure miss,” he said.

“So we’re gonna help em pa?” the colt asked.

“Nope, we’re just gonna take some produce into market,” he said with a wink.

He got a cart ready and out a tarp over the two of us and we began our ride to New Pegisopolis.
--

“Yeah! Now that’s what I’m talking about!” Vinyl said over the mic after they cleared the storm belt in just a few hours.

The crew were cheering as Vinyl played her favorite song over the giant sound system.

“Thank you! Thank you! I’ll be here all day,” she said.

“Um, Vinyl, we’re running out of fuel...” Octavia said.

“Oh, whoops, should have checked the tank before we left,” she said, rubbing her head.

“So do any of you guys have some extra fuel?” she asked as she lowered altitude to get closer to the largest ship, the Majestic.

She landed the party blimp on the stern half of the Majestic and was greeted by a crowd of cheering ponies.

“Whoa whoa whoa, back up guys,” Vinyl said.

A quick shrill note from Octavia’s cello and a glare silenced the front most fans and they gave Vinyl some room.

“So who do I ask about getting something to eat around here, I’m starving,” she said.

“That would be me Miss Vinyl,” a grayish stallion in a captain uniform said, cutting through the crowd.

“Please, just call me Vinyl,” she said.

“In any case, I want to thank you personally for helping us get through that storm,” he said.

“No problem, just point me to the nearest meal and I’ll call it even,” Vinyl said.

The captain laughed, “I think that can be arranged.”

Octavia followed Vinyl and the captain, keeping the crowd that was following them in line.

“So how long do you think we have until we reach your city?” Octavia asked.

“You saved us more than a day’s worth of travel, so I think we will be there by morning,” the captain replied.

“Ok, good, I could use some sleep,” Octavia said.

“Come on Tavi, you don’t think these ponies will wait all night for my music do you?” Vinyl asked.

“I suppose that I can’t stop you if you want to tire yourself out with another all nighter, but I’m going to catch some sleep after a nice meal,” Octavia said.

“Aw, you’re no fun,” Vinyl complained.

“If you ladies would like something to eat, the mess is right this way,” the captain said, bowing and indicating the hallway to his left.

Octavia and Vinyl enjoyed a nice dinner while a few guards kept the rest of the crew out to give them some peace.

When they finished, Vinyl gave a belch and said, “That was good eats.”

“I’ve had better, but it was better than going hungry,” Octavia said.

“Welp, I’m gonna go out there and give those ponies what they want,” Vinyl said.

“Very well, I’ll be catching up on my sleep,” Octavia said.

Vinyl waved her off and went to the door where there was a group of crew members waiting for her.

“Let’s go boys!” she said and led them to the deck where the airship was being refueled.

Octavia sighed and the captain led her to a room where she could sleep in peace.
--

We arrived in New Pegisopolis after a day long ride and sleeping for the night as Hayseed pulled the cart.

“Well, this is your stop,” he said pulling the tarp off us.

“Thank you for your help,” I said.

“Don’t think nothin of it,” he said, and pulled his cart away.

We were on the outskirts of the city. It would take us a lot of walking to get to the capitol.

“We should try to stay as hidden as possible,” I said.

“Um, Mixer, I think you should look at this,” Silverwing said.

I looked at what she was indicating and saw our names and faces on a wanted poster.

“Conspiracy against the king, resisting arrest, sabotage of official property and, murder?” I listed off the offenses that went with our names.

“Should you see these ponies, contact the guard immediately,” Silver said, reading the rest of the poster.

“We should run now,” I said.

“Why?” Silver asked turning around.

“Because, suddenly the other ponies are avoiding us like the plague,” I said.

“Feathers!” she spat and the two of us started running toward the palace.

As we ran the other ponies shied away from us and moved to let us pass.

“We don’t have much time if we want to clear our names, I’m sure the guard is already on our trail,” I said.

“If we can make it to the palace before we get caught we can make our case to the king,” she said.

“Let’s hope that they are slower than we are,” I said.
--

“Boy am I beat,” Vinyl said as Octavia flew the airship towards the port landing pad.

“Well, if you would have slept instead of partying then you wouldn’t be dealing with that now would you?” she said.

“As always, you were right Tavi,” Vinyl said.

“That’s ok, somepony has to watch you sorry flank,” Octavia said kindly.

“Thanks Tavi,” Vinyl said, giving Octavia a sleepy hug.

Octavia returned the affection, “Now, try to wake up, I need you alert for dealing with these other ponies.”

“Alright,” Vinyl said, shaking herself.

“Hmm, looks like those ponies want something,” Octavia said.

Vinyl out her sunglasses back on after rubbing her eyes and pushed Octavia out of the way.

“Ok party ponies, lets start the day out right, with some wubs,” Vinyl said.

She turned on the music and set the playlist to repeat.

“I don’t think that’s what they wanted,” Octavia said.

“What was that Tavi?” Vinyl asked over the music.

Octavia slid the volume control all the way down, “I think they want you to land.”

Two pegasi guard flew up to the gondola and shouted at Vinyl, “You have to land this craft for inspection!”

A few of the pegasi crew members flew up to meet them.

“They’re good,” one of them said.

“Yeah, leave them alone,” another protested.

“Without them we wouldn’t be here,” a third chipped in.

“It’s cool guys, I’ll land, I have to unload the Mobile Party anyways,” Vinyl said.

The party blimp touched down and the dock workers secured it as Vinyl dropped the main ramp in front.

She powered up the Mobile Party and walked it off the blimp.

“Halt!” Thunder Blitz yelled at her.

“Hey, if you don’t mind, I’m just gonna go look for my friend Mixer ok?” she said to the irate pegasus.

“You are under arrest!” he yelled and a few other pegasi took up positions around her.

“I wasn’t asking,” she said and turned up the music while she piloted the mech forward.

One of the pegasi dove at Vinyl from behind but was met with a swing from Octavia’s cello, sending him flying.

“Why do you always have a way of making authority figures mad?” she asked Vinyl as more gathered around.

“Just part of my charming personality,” Vinyl said.

Octavia sighed and readied herself to repel attackers.
--

“That was close,” I said, as I looked out the door we had just ducked it to get away from the guards.

“There’s no way we can get to the palace now,” she said.

“There is one way,” a voice from behind us said.

We turned around and were greeted by Silverwings squadron.

“Quicksilver what are you doing here?” she asked.

“We’re here to give you a helping hoof mam,” he said, taking off a pair of sunglasses he was wearing.

“Then you take her and get to the king, I’ll try and help my friends,” I said.

“But Mixer,” Silver started to protest.

“Go, I can handle this by myself,” I said, creating a crystal board to fly on.

Quicksilver gave me a salute, “Good luck.”

I hopped on my board and flung the door open with my magic.

“There he is!” I heard a guard yell as I took off towards the palace.

Only one of them was a pegasus so he took off after me while the others followed on foot.

“Stop!” he yelled.

I slowed down so he could hear me, “If I go with you will you take me to the one who is in charge of the investigation?”

“What?” he asked, looking dumbfounded.

“Will you take me to him?” I asked.

“If you come quietly,” he shouted.

I stopped in mid air and let him catch up to me.

“Land,” he said.

I complied but stopped him from restraining me, “Take me to the investigator.”

“Alright, but I’m keeping my eye on you,” he said.

“Fine just take me there,” I said with urgency.

He led the way towards a building that was separate from the palace.

I was escorted inside and we went up an elevator to one of the top floors.

“Well, well, I didn't expect someone like you to just hand yourself over,” a voice came from a turned chair.

“That’s because you need to know the truth,” I said.

“Oh, and what do you know about the truth?” he asked spinning around to face me.

“I know that Thunder Blitz is in league with Lucius, and that he is the one you are looking for not me,” I said.

“Oh is that right? Because right now it’s the testimony of a well respected member of the air force against a chemist who has been missing for over a year,” he said.

“So you think that an injured unicorn and a grounded pegasus could sabotage an entire airship right out of the hospital?” I questioned.

“Listen here, my name’s Cold Case, and I have never been wrong, not once,” he spat.

“First time for everything,” I said.

“Right now, Blitz has a lot more pull than you right now, and that means until you give me solid proof, then you are the one who is suspect here,” he said.

“And you think that after I cured the king and my friends helped, that they would simply poison him themselves?” I asked.

“The only thing that is true about that is that you cured him, that doesn’t mean that your so called friends didn’t poison him while you were incapacitated,” he said.

“So you just said that I’m innocent,” I said.

“That’s not what I,” he started.

“Listen here, ‘Cold Case’, Thunder Blitz is the one who poisoned the king, he was being manipulated by Lucius. If you want to argue that he couldn’t have, think about his position as leader of one of the top two squadrons, that gives him opportunity, on top of motive,” I said.

He scowled as I continued to deconstruct him.

“The fact that he was one of the two surviving members after an op went bad should have raised some suspicions about his ability to commit such a crime. The only witness to said acts was almost killed by Lucius, meaning that she could have been silenced. If Lucius promised Blitz the sole position as ace then he would do it because of his lust for power. Finally, he was the one who accused them of the poisoning of the king, even after Ivy helped the king by giving him an herb to stop the poison,” I said.

“How did you know all that?” he asked shocked.

“Because, there are ponies out there who know what Blitz is capable of and are not afraid to question him,” I said.

The building was shaken by a loud boom.

“What was that?” he questioned.

I looked out the window and saw that far below Vinyl was fighting with a few pegasi in the Mobile Party.

“Well, it’s been nice talking to you,” I said and bust through the window.

I free falled down and slowed my descent with magic so I landed softly next to Vinyl and Octavia.

“Mixer, just the stallion I wanted to see,” Vinyl said.

“I see you managed to make some new friends,” I said.

“Yeah, and they don’t even like my music,” Vinyl said, cranking one of the dials to send a concussive blast from the subwoofers.

“Head that way,” I said, pointing to the palace.

“Got it,” Vinyl said as she steered the machine in that direction.

With my help we kept Blitz and his cronies off of Vinyl and when we finally reached the palace Vinyl said, “I think this is your stop. Tavi go with him, I’ll keep our friends busy.”

“Be careful,” Octavia said as we jumped off the mech and landed on the ground.

“Lets go Octavia,” I said.

She looked back as Vinyl used her magic to throw records at her attackers.

“She’ll be fine, after all, she is Vinyl Scratch,” I said.

She took one last look, then slung her cello on her back and we ran inside.

Thankfully the guards in front did not stop me. Unfortunately, the guards who were watching our friends were not so kind.

Octavia started to play a battle hymn on her cello while I engaged two of the guard and a third went after her.

I mostly dodged out of the way, but the guard that went after Octavia found her to be far less forgiving, hitting him in the face, mid draw, and using the cello like a pivot point to kick him from.

The two guards that were fighting me found that as I was dodging them I was working on restraining them with crystal shackles.

When they finally noticed, they fell flat on their faces and were unable to get back up.

When I turned around, Octavia had the bottom of her cello planted next to the guards face, holding him down with the weight.

“What’s all that noise out there?” a groggy voice called out from inside the room.

“Nothing, just some music,” I said, masking my voice as best I could.

“Well keep it down out there will you?” the voice said.

I got ready behind the door and burst through it, startling the guard who had been talking and knocking him out of his chair.

“Mixer!” a chorus of voices cried as I entered and subdued the guard.

“I came to get you out of here,” I said.

I broke the locks on all the doors and all fourteen of them walked out into the hall.

“What is the meaning of this?” King Prime Arch asked.

“I was fixing the problem,” I said.

“What problem?” he demanded.

“The problem we have with Thunder Blitz trying to kill you and imprison all my friends,” I said.

“Go then, but do release my guard first,” he said.

I loosened all their shackles and took off with the others towards the outside.

When we got outside we were just in time to see Silver Squadron saving Vinyl and Blitz turning tail and running.

“Quicksilver, keep on him!” I called.

“Right,” he called back and went off in hot pursuit.

“Vinyl are you ok?” Octavia asked.

She got up off the floor of the platform revealing that one of her sunglasses lenses was broken.

“Just a few bumps and bruises, you should have seen the other guy,” she said with a smile.

“Octavia you stay here with Vinyl, the rest of you follow me,” I said. “We are not letting him get away!”

We followed the path that Quicksilver was following and it led to the to the facility that Lucius was being held in.

As we were running I stopped because I thought I saw Derpy.

“Derpy? What are you doing here?” I asked the gray mare.

“Now see, I told you it was better if we didn’t just go walking about when there is a high speed chase,” a brown stallion with an hourglass cutie mark said.

“Who are you?” I asked.

“Well, for times sake you can just call me the Doctor,” he said.

“Ok, but what are you doing here of all places?” I asked, the others kept following the trail.

“We, um, came here to keep something from going wrong and catastrophically changing the timeline,” he said.

“What?” I said, cocking my head sideways.

“I didn’t quite get it at first either,” Derpy said.

“Look, there he goes!” The Doctor said, pointing at Thunder Blitz and two of his cronies as they carried Lucius away.

“Not while I’m still standing,” I growled and took off after them with a crystal.

I grew a fews darts of crystal, each one razor sharp and threw them one at a time at the two carrying Lucius.

I hit the fist on in the wing tip and he just kept flying, the second one hit him in the shoulder, embedding itself into his body and causing him to spiral towards the ground.

The third one missed Blitz by mere inches, and the fourth and final one hit the struggling second henchman dead in the center of the wing.

Him and Lucius crashed onto a rooftop that I descended upon them like a bird of prey.

Lucius got up and tried to run for Blitz, but I stopped him by throwing a razor crystal his way.

He ducked at the last second and the crystal merely took off most of his horn, instead of hitting him in the back of the neck.

He hit the ground in agony then rolled over and started to crawl away from me, fear in his eyes, murderous intent in mine.

As I slowly walked his way I made a crystal and extended it to blade length, holding it off to one side.

As Lucius crawled backwards he ran out of rooftop and sat in horror as I approached.

“Please don’t,” he breathed.

I scowled down at him, “You lost that chance a long time ago.”

I went to bring the blade down on him but Twilight teleported in front of me. I stopped the blade barely an inch from her face.

“Don’t do this Mixer, it’s not who you are!” she said.

“Twilight get out of the way,” I said.

“Can’t you see you’ve done enough already, he doesn’t even have a horn left,” she said, gesturing to the severed horn behind me.

“You would have me spare him, even after what he did, what he was going to do?” I asked.

“Yes, because killing him would make you no better than him,” she said.

I looked into Twilight’s eyes, two amethysts of mercy, then at Lucius, his eyes two crimson pools of pure fear.

Twilight closed her eyes as I raised the blade again, burying it with a thud in the roof.

“I’ll let him live,” I said, and turned away.

Lucius and Thunder Blitz were taken into custody and both given life sentences in maximum security prison.

While the others preparing to leave, I went to take care of some unfinished business.
--

Lucius was sitting his his cell, a small room with white walls and a small barred window.

He detested the fact that he was in this situation but was glad that he had escaped his last encounter with me with his life intact.

“Lunch time,” a voice said from the other side of the door and slid a tray in through a slot near the bottom of the door.

Lucius walked over a picked up the tray, taking it to the wall under the window to eat the meager meal.

After taking a few bites he felt his throat start closing up and gasped as he held his throat.

I opened the door and stared at him, choking on the floor.

I saw the terror in his eyes.

“I could kill you right now, and nopony would be the wiser, they would just find you choked to death. But I’m better than that,” I said, rolling a white vial his way.

He picked it up and drained the small amount of liquid, gasping as air returned to his lungs.

I turned around to leave but shot him back a cold stare, “If you ever make me regret giving you that antidote, I will make you wish that you had died sputtering on the floor,” I said coldly then walked out the door, locking it behind me.
--

“Ready to go?” Twilight asked.

“Yes,” I said cheerfully.

“Then let’s go,” Silverwing said.

“Are you coming with us?” I asked.

“Yep, me and the whole squad are coming with you,” she said.

“Call it a mission of good will,” Quicksilver said.

“It will be nice to have a break after all this,” Silverwing said.

We left the palace and met up with Vinyl and Octavia who had gone on ahead to prep their blimp for takeoff.

“Hi Vinyl, how’s the eye?” I asked.

“I’ll be fine, I’ve got another pair of sunglasses at home,” she said.

“That’s good,” I said.

“By the way, I never thanked you for helping me out,” she said to Quicksilver.

“No problem,” he said.

We all got on the Royal, now mostly empty except for a few necessary crew and those ponies that wanted to see Equestria.

Vinyl sped up the trip, rending the clouds with the double bass cannons to make it easier to travel.
By the next afternoon we were back in Las Pegasus, the welcoming party ready to go.

Celestia herself had come to welcome us all back.

There was much celebrating the friendship of our two nations and everypony partied well into the night.

After telling Celestia all of what happened Luna went and found Sombra and they spent the rest of the night celebrating together.

Vinyl got her party blimp in full swing and even Octavia was dancing on the dancefloor.

All the Lunar guard were having a fun time, even Brick was having a good time hoof wrestling with some of the ponies from New Pegisopolis.

I was sitting apart for a while until a small grey unicorn filly ran up to me.

“Mixer!” she cried as she jumped onto me giving me a big hug.

“Crystal, its good to see you again,” I said, scooping her up in my own hug.

“Don’t ever leave me for that long again,” she said.

“Don’t worry, I don’t plan on going anywhere anytime soon,” I said.

“And who is this?” Silverwing said walking up.

“My name’s Crystal, what’s your’s?” she asked.

“Crystal, this is Silverwing from New Pegisopolis,” I said.

“Nice to meet you Crystal,” Silverwing said.

“Nice to meet you too,” Crystal said.

“So are you two related?” Silverwing asked.

“No, I’m here guardian while her mother is indisposed,” I said.

“Yeah, I embarrass him if I call him daddy,” Crystal said.

“What happened to her mother?” she asked.

“That’s a sensitive question,” I said.

Crystal stepped in between us and looked up at Silverwing.

“Mixer is right, that is a sensitive situation, but you seem like the kind of pony I can tell this to,” she said.

“Are you sure?” I asked.

“Yeah, remember I can sense these kind of things,” she said smiling to me.

She let her horn glow and her disguise disappeared with the usual green flames and puff of smoke.

Silverwing stared in awe as her wings unfurled and Crystal smiled at her.

“That’s amazing!” Silverwing said, not put off by the sharp teeth, the holes in her legs or her odd horn.

“Yay somepony who likes my true form!” Crystal cried giving Silverwing a hug.

“So she’s not a pony right?” Silverwing asked.

“No she’s a changeling,” I said shaking my head.

“Can she stay with us?” Crystal asked.

“Well, I suppose so, if it is ok with the princesses,” I said.

“If what is okay with us?” Luna asked from behind me.

“If Silverwing can stay with us,” Crystal said.

“Oh course she can,” Celestia said, joining her sister.

“She can stay with us!” Crystal said, jumping around.

“What about the rest of my squadron?” she asked.

“They can stay with the Wonderbolts,” Celestia said.

“I believe you have met one of them already,” Luna said.

“Spitfire?” Silverwing asked.

“Yes, and I’m sure she would be fine with housing your squad for a while,” Celestia said.

“So Silverwing, are your wings feeling better?” Luna asked.

“They don’t hurt if that’s what you’re asking,” she said.

“That’s good at least,” she said.

“Yeah, but I’m going to leave the bandages on for another day or two,” she said.

“It’s ok, don’t rush the healing process,” Luna said.

“It’s getting kind of late,” I said to Crystal.

“Oh, let her stay up for once,” Sombra said, finding Luna again.

“Okay,” I ceded.

“Yay!” Crystal cried.

“And you don’t have to worry about staying transformed,” Celestia said.

“Yay!” Crystal said and went to go join in the festivities.

“Well, I guess we should enjoy ourselves too,” I said to Silverwing.

We went to the party blimp and cheered on Pinkie as she had a dance off against Quicksilver.

Everypony in the city was at the docks having a good time partying, all except one lone shadow, a pony that went unnoticed as he lurked at the edges of perception.

“Soon...” he whispered to himself.

Author's Note:

Wow, since I came out with this book, my views have skyrocketed, thanks to everyone who decided to give my story a try :twilightsmile: