• Published 27th Jan 2012
  • 835 Views, 9 Comments

Circumstantial Evidence - Mad Hatter



Sun Shower gets a call from the Ponyville Fire Department, and things are more gruesome than usual.

  • ...
 9
 835

Ancient Laws: Part Three/The Duel: Part One

Sun and Blaze mused at the table over breakfast about what was going to happen in no more than a few hours.

“You're really going to do this?” Blaze inquired.
“Of course. Bastard set me up and it took weeks to get it sorted out. Some ponies still look at me funny. Wouldn't you if you were in my spot?”
“I suppose so...”
“Now then. Lessee here...” as Sun got up and began sifting through her record collection. She pulled out 3 albums and balanced them and the player on her back, along with the page of genealogy Twilight provided. “No time to waste, let's get goin'.”

“What are those for?”
“Duel needs proper music, yeah?”

Blaze decided not to question her motives on this – today was going to be unusual enough as it is.

Word spread quickly in this town for normal matters. For the first duel in at least everypony's lifetime (Sans perhaps Granny Smith), everyone in town knew within hours. Nearly the entire population of Ponyville ringed the fountain, waiting for the events to unfold.

Sun expected as much as she sauntered to the location at about 11 am. She placed the record player and albums on the edge of the ring of ponies and stood near the center, waiting.

As the minutes ticked by, everypony waited with baited breath. 15 till the hour a chariot appeared on the horizon. A cadre of batponies harnessed to their load. It swept the crowd-ring twice, and landed on the southern edge. Everypony there backed off as Princess Luna stepped out. She was in full regalia usually reserved for diplomatic visits of neighboring royalty. These items haven't been used for this purpose in over a thousand years. She faced the center of the ring, and announced her presence to the town.

”My little ponies, my subjects. We are here today to witness a duel of honor between Sun Showers and Blue Beet. Duelists, present thyselves!”

Sun proudly stepped forward, puffing up her barrel and announcing “Sun Showers, your highness!”

They waited. Small murmurs raised a background noise as ponies took note at the absence of Blue. Luna traced the crowd with here eyes before continuing.

“Blue Beet. Present thyself.”

Nopony stepped forward. Luna quickly grew agitated. ”Find Blue Beet at once! He must present himself before the arbiter for proceedings to begin.”

The batpony guards quickly flew off in cardinal directions to comb the town. Five after noon the eastbound guard came with Blue in tow.

“What the buck is going on?!” he cried as he was dropped from two feet off the ground in front on Luna. “Who's responsible for this travesty?”

”I am”

“What do you mean you are, who the tartarus do you think you......” Beet trailed off as he finally looked up and saw the princess glaring down.

”You were to present yourself at precisely noon today at this location, Blue Beet.”

“Wh-wha? But she couldn't have been...” he looked at Luna for a moment before a smirk played across his muzzle. “What do you mean, dear princess? I was told nothing of this event.”

Luna looked at him with suspicion, but tradition dictated that she verify. ”Sun Showers and Blue Beet. The laws demand that both are aware of the nature of this proceeding. Bring forth proof of the arrangement immediately!”

Sun would have been worried, if not the entire town had shown up. She turned to the crowd and shouted. “Everypony who was at the Charred Barrel the night I challenged him, step forward now, by order of Princess Luna!” Being only noon, the bartender was among the dozen ponies not content to keep at their places of work on this unusual day. Blue's face went shades that only Fluttershy could muster most of the time. The witness ponies bowed before the princess.

”You are witnesses to the challenge?”

They responded in tandem, though not in complete synchronicity. “We are, uh, Princess Luna, your majesty.”

”What occurred on the night in question?”

They explained from their respective angles, though the stories did all mention Sun specifically stating that it was for a duel.

Luna stared down Blue. ”These witnesses attest to your knowledge on this matter. Their number is more than necessary to determine you are aware of the event. All ponies not involved in the duel return to your places outside of the determined ring. Sun Showers and Blue Beet, stand before me.”

Sun again placed herself proudly before Luna, while Blue worriedly stepped up beside her. “But...I didn't know she was serious! This is ludicrous!”

”The challenge has been made, as per the laws set forth. Do you accept, or do you rescind competition and forfeit to the demands of Sun Showers?”

“Uh..” as he turns to Sun. “What were you trying for?”

“You tried to ruin me, so I'm gonna return the favor. All your money, and a public apology for whatcha did.”

“I-I can't do that!”

“Then you accept, or you do it.”

“.......Fine. If I must beat a mare to get out of this.” he spat.

”Now then, proffer evidence of your station that I may officiate.”

Blue Beet gave a wicked smile, thinking that this would be over before it began. “Nothing more than some lowborn. You're the one that has to back down.” Sun produced the genealogy page Twilight created when testing the spell and hoofed it to Luna. She announced loudly and proudly “I, Sun Showers, am a descendant of Duchess Windspear of what is now Cloudsdale, according to the title granted to her by Princess Celestia.” To Blue's surprise and horror.

Luna traced the familial lines to her name, recognizing both the translation of titles and the magical signature of Twilight. ”This suffices as proof of thy ancestry. And Blue Beet, dost thou have ancestry commensurate with Sun Showers?”

“Um...”

“Don't try to give us that shit again. Witnesses!”

“Fine! *sigh* Yes, I'm related to Prince Blueblood.”

”And that neither of the combatants have previous instances of moral turpitude?”

“Wait, you were gone for a while, didn't you get convicted of something?” Blue stared at Sun, but now beyond the hopes of smiling.

“The records of anything were expunged. For all legal purposes, I haven't got a record.” Sun sneered at him.

Sun's smug look contrasted Blue's angry sneer as Luna declared ”Then all measures are in place, and according to the laws this will be a legal duel between these two parties.”