• Published 27th Jan 2012
  • 835 Views, 9 Comments

Circumstantial Evidence - Mad Hatter



Sun Shower gets a call from the Ponyville Fire Department, and things are more gruesome than usual.

  • ...
 9
 835

Arrival/The Trial: Part Two

Sun and Blaze woke from a rather light sleep, what was to come weighing heavily on their minds. Sun was sure of her innocence, but was far from used to being in court as anything other than a witness (A few times total, revolving around other accidents of less magnitude). Blaze was worrying about his likely evaluation after all this was over.

Hope I've been professional enough this week. If the guard saw it as me getting too personal it could hurt both our chances. he mused as he looked over at Sun and played back the past week in his head.

Knowing what's coming, Blaze pre-empted her this time and put a record on himself before starting. Not enough time for anything serious, but hay, it was practically his duty as a guard to keep up.

Who would be a poor one, beggarpony, a thief
If he had rich ponies in his hooves
And who would steal the candy from a laughing filly's mouth
If he could take it from the moneyed mares
Derp-eyed Marey goes jumping in again
Hoof-prints no contract, but always plays the game

"Not bad. Gettin' a taste for this stuff?" she smirked.
"Been a fan of the classics for some time, actually. Haven't much time though, so tell me when you're out of the bath."
"All business now huh?"
"We've the trial in a few hours Sun. Sorry if I'm not up for the usual tete a tete."
"But you got time to speak fancy?"
"Heh."

They arrived at the train station, saddlebags full of reports on Blaze and Sun holding the letter in her wing as she hoofed the tickets to the station attendant. The sight of a royal guard on a Canterlot-bound train wasn't explicitly unusual, so Sun was spared a good number of views, sans the ponies seated across the aisle.

A mint noblepony glared across at them. "So, what are your crimes, you ruffian?"
"Nothin'"
"That is what they all say."
"Like you did when you were busted with that Mexicolt pool stallion?"
"Why I never!"
"Sun, mind your muzzle. Now isn't the time for this."
"Oh, all right. Get this mess outta the way and then it's back to life."

The arrival at the Canterlot station was met by a second guard, fortunately not the one from before. Another unicorn in guard armor, but with an orange coat. "Sun Shower and Blaze Fire, correct?"

"Yes." Blaze said.
"Follow me."
The two boarded the cart and waited for the trip to the castle to be through. Sun kept quiet, knowing that causing any scene would only hurt her chances. She certainly wanted to say something to the ponies watching from the street though, and the glares she returned probably wouldn't have done her any favors if they'd been involved in the trial.

They disembarked at the gates. The new escort announced their arrival to a pair of guards at the castle gates, and the doors slowly opened. The waiting room hadn't changed a bit in the time, to nopony's surprise. Seeing Sun walk in with a guard in tow didn't offer any surprises either. Seeing him stay with her, however, did draw some looks as the clock ticked on. All the ponies in the room having their own problems, they kept quiet, aside from the desk worker occasionally shouting "Next!".

At her time Sun and Blaze entered the tremendous doors. The three judges, decrepit as ever, looked over the pages of the case. They nodded in tandem and stood to the side, announcing the princesses as before. The pair of rulers likewise took on their positions from a week ago. Luna maintained a greater degree of attention than before, clearly more interested in this case than before. Celestia kept a stoic expression, equally clearly displeased with having to command this sort of event.

"Sun Shower, do you understand why you have been summoned here today?"
Sun wanted quite badly to have a snarky reply to the most obvious question she'd ever heard. She forced out "Yes, Princess."
"And that is?"
"I stand accused of murder."
"Royal guard Blaze Fire, step forward." Celestia commanded. Blaze took a few steps ahead and looked slightly upward at the princess.
"Have the investigations been completed this time?"
"Yes, Princess Celestia."
"What evidence have you collected over the course of the investigation?"
Blaze produced a stack of papers. "Records from city hall and the Ponyville fire department regarding the night in question, as well as previous calls on other occasions..." He shuffles through them "And witness reports of Java Chip's mental state in the time leading to his death."
"Previous calls?"
"Yes, Princess. Java Chip's, um, projects were, according to the records, sometimes dangerous, and there have been a total of eight instances of the Ponyville Fire Department dispatching units, including the fatal night."

Luna chimed in (With all the "chime" of the great bell of Canterlot Cathedral) "And what of Java Chip's, as you put it, mental state?"
Blaze and Sun winced slightly at the echoing assault. Quickly recovering his composure, he answered "According to witnesses Twilight Sparkle of Ponyville and Zecora of Everfree Forest-"
Celestia interrupted "Twilight Sparkle was involved? Why was this kept from me?"

Virtually the only thing that can disturb Celestia, and they just stepped in it. Blaze considered his next words very carefully, or they were bucked. The gaze that followed Blaze's movements could only be matched by Nightmare Moon herself.

"Erm... peripherally, Princess. There were books labeled as property of the Ponyville Library, Twilight Sparkle's residence as you know, at the site of the accident. As to the lack of notice, I've seen first-hoof Ms. Sparkle's knowledge of Equestrian law. We are both aware of the standard procedure of non-disclosure during capital cases." Celestia's visage softened during the explanation, and Blaze finished with more confidence. "Ms. Sparkle noted during the interview and during the testing-"

"Testing, Blaze Fire?"

"-Yes, Princess. Of a substance found at the site. The results of the test are here as well as the interview with the producer. Well, former producer. During the interview Twilight reported that Java Chip was highly agitated and focused on subjects of electricity and magical theory, especially artifacts and gems.

Celestia seemed content with the answer, but retained an expression more serious than the beginning nonetheless. "We will require the witnesses to corroborate this story, Blaze Fire."

Blaze stared for a minute. He knew that if it was anypony besides Twilight Sparkle, the recordings on the parchments would be enough. Though this could be called an abuse of power to drag on the case, nopony said no to Celestia.

Sun kept a clear look of annoyance at the pronouncement, followed by a bow in tandem with her guard. As they turned around Celestia called out "We are not quite finished with this session." Both turned around with surprise at this.

"There is still the matter of the other charge."
"Other charge?!" Sun borderline shouted.
"Yes. During the previous arraignment. Obscenity before the courts. Of that you have been found guilty."

Sun's jaw dropped.

Celestia continued. "You are to be given a lesson in maintaining composure in a professional manner. Therefore, as the summons and arrangements for our witnesses are being processed, you are to spend the time - still in the company of Blaze Fire - training with the Equestrian military during the weekend drills. Blaze Fire, lead her to the barracks."

Author's Note:

Original lyrics are "Cross-Eyed Mary" by Jethro Tull. I know, it's only a fraction. Just wait, there's a big one coming up. Yeah, I'm cheating by acting like the plural counts for rhymes, but where else was I gonna get a Derpy Hooves reference in?