• Published 27th Jan 2012
  • 835 Views, 9 Comments

Circumstantial Evidence - Mad Hatter



Sun Shower gets a call from the Ponyville Fire Department, and things are more gruesome than usual.

  • ...
 9
 835

The Trial: Part Three

After a half-hour or so, Twilight was met with Sun Showers, She looked at the pony quizzically as Sun stood proudly waiting, the slightest hint of a smile on her muzzle. Blaze Fire stationed himself near and slightly behind her.

"Next!" repeated itself four times as other ponies entered the immense portal to judgement. Each returned with a frown and a piece of paper - save one, who wore a massive smile and nigh skipped out the door. All three of them assumed that one was found innocent and didn't question the reaction to trial.

The proceeding "Next!" indicated their turn. The ponies calmly entered the courtroom.

The four proceeded to the aged judges, whom looked over the papers and repeated the previous motions of nodding and moving to the rear door, announcing the Princesses' entrance.

Having taken their places, Celestia and Luna began. Celestia started: "As per protocol of the courts, the new witnesses to this trial are to be sworn in. Twilight Sparkle, do you swear to tell truth in all matters before this court?"

"Yes, Princess Celestia." Twilight bowed. "But what is-"

Her mentor interrupted "That will be explained shortly." almost displaying a sadness at having to treat her student so cooly. "And Zecora, do you swear to tell truth in all matters before this court?"

Zecora gave a subdued, but clear enough reply. "An oath of truth I give as well. Only honesty is what I shall tell."

Celestia was slightly used to this, having heard of the rhyming zebra before. Luna displayed a very slight confusion, but decided not to question it at the moment.

Celestia continued after the assurances. "I remind Sun Showers and Blaze Fire that they are still under the previous oath. Is this understood?"

"Yes, Princess." they replied in near-unison.

"Very well. With that, we may return to the proceedings from their previous point. Twilight Sparkle and Zecora, you are both here for testimony regarding the fate of Java Chip, and will be requested and required to give said testimony when necessary. Before we begin the proceedings on this trial. Blaze Fire, report on the punishment regarding the charge of obscenity before the courts." Twilight and Zecora nearly blushed, if not for being slightly curious as to this charge they were unaware of.

"Your majesties, Sun Showers has completed her sentence quite satisfactorily regarding that charge."

"Understood. Are there any recommendations as to further punishment or remarks on her behavior during time of said sentence?"

"Yes, Princess."

Sun's eyes bugged out as she whipped her head to Blaze, fearful of what compounding this would bring. The diarchs themselves were slightly surprised as well, though showing no signs of it. "And what are your recommendations on this matter, Blaze Fire?"

"Princess, due to both the level of aptitude displayed during the enforced training and the mitigating circumstances -namely the stress of the situation with the previous escort - I suggest that the charges from this offense be expunged from the records."

Celestia blinked. "This is an unusual request. But, due to the previous situation, we shall take it into consideration."

Sun's eyes retained their unnatural size for a moment longer as it sunk in. He's sticking up for me... She regained her composure a moment later to finish the current trial, a slight smile playing across her muzzle before all facial aspects returned to their normal status.

"Now, we have during said time of punishment read the contents of these reports in their entirety. Twilight Sparkle, step forward." The lavender unicorn obliged as Celestia organized a few of the sheets, hoofing them to the bailiff, who in a short distance gave them to her. "Are these the results of the testing of the dust found at the scene?"

Twilight read thoroughly the papers given to her before looking up. "Yes Princess. These are the results of the tests done on the powder found at the scene."

"Do you have the sample of the product the courts requested?"

"Yes Princess. I have it with me here." she notes, levitating a bag in front of her, which was unceremoniously retrieved by the bailiff and placed on the podium.

"And what processes were used in the testing?"

The waterfall of information was understandable only to Celestia and her student, with Luna taking a close second due to studying scientific advances alongside popular culture and modern history. Blaze stood stoic, having given up paying specific attention to it shortly, and Sun growing confused quickly.

"I see. Zecora, step forward." as the zebra quietly obliged. "According to this, you were the producer of this substance, correct?"

"Correct, your majesty. Java's death is my responsibility."

Celestia and Luna looked at each other for a moment before returning to the shamaness. "You admit to the deed?"

"Yes, your majesty. All the fault is mine you can see."

"This is a highly unusual development. Zecora, explain what led to this act."

Her countenance dropped as she explained her place in this case. "A few years ago, I found my nights beginning to slow. That powder you hold, were the fruits of experiments bold. It aided focus for extended hours, that late work may have more power. A few trusted ponies this I have supplied, to help their long works for pride. Some have used much hence, and the stop was found to cause turbulence. Withdrawl causes a depression, which can harm one's profession. This warning was given to Mr. Chip, though he replied with a confident quip. 'I won't overuse it, merely when I need just a bit.' But over time he would use more, which caused me thoughts sore. Finally one day, and experiment went the wrong way. I eventually cut off his supply, though for more he would cry. I ordered rest and recuperation, but he asked for a single bout of experimentation. This I allowed, but did not expect what followed. His final invention he used, to create the explosion that ensued. His end a sick story's plot, because of that product I had wrought. So you see your majesty, how the fault lies alone with me." She finished be sobbing softly, never daring to raise her muzzle.

"I see..." the solar diarch mused. "Are there any more instances of evidence regarding this event, or pertaining to the trial in any way?" After a minute of silence, she announced "Then we shall deliberate. Wait here for our judgement. Bailiff, it is late. Send the remaining petitioners away for the night, arrange lodging as needed." With that, they placed a magical warding eye to monitor the room as they retreated to another room.

Twilight almost immediately followed the door's closing by turning to Zecora. "It's not your fault! You warned him, so why blame yourself?"

"The warning was not early enough, much sooner should I have gotten tough." as she fell to her haunches, awaiting an (In her mind) inevitable fate. Twilight kneeled next to her, with futile efforts of comfort. Blaze watched, ready to aid the witnesses if needed. Sun stared, dumbfounded at this turn of events but unable to help out of both not knowing this story before, and too paranoid of implicating herself somehow.

Two agonizing hours of waiting passed, as Zecora ran out of tears and they all ran out of time. The alicorns returned from the rear, and took their positions.